WISN Cutting 10:30 News

jrh1985

Not sure if this needs it's own thread, so I'll ask here,

Why is WISN cutting the 10:30 half hour of 12 News At 10 just to move Jimmy up to 10:35???  Very low ratings for the 10:30 half hour? I liked the 1 hour 12 News At 10!!!

15 minutes ago, jrh1985 said:

Why is WISN cutting the 10:30 half hour of 12 News At 10 just to move Jimmy up to 10:35???  Very low ratings for the 10:30 half hour? I liked the 1 hour 12 News At 10!!!

It may actually be a network thing, not a WISN thing. Almost everywhere else, it airs at 11:35 or 10:35

34 minutes ago, jrh1985 said:

KSTP, KRGV and just as recently as KITV have all gone down to 35 minutes at 10:00 p.m.

KOAT, KIFI and WEAR are still left that's doing it.

https://www.wisn.com/article/abcs-jimmy-kimmel-live-nightline-to-air-30-minutes-earlier-beginning-jan-14/25836618

Huh, imagine that, it's an odd-numbered non-election year, and TV stations are cutting all that extra news.

🙄

(Also, yes, this goes in it's own thread. Don't post off-topic in "sets and studios" asking why newscasts are being cut.)

12 minutes ago, Weeters said:

Huh, imagine that, it's an odd-numbered non-election year, and TV stations are cutting all that extra news.

🙄

(Also, yes, this goes in it's own thread. Don't post off-topic in "sets and studios" asking why newscasts are being cut.)

Sorry!  It looks like WISN is getting into the 9PM field with 9PM News on 12-2 this Spring!

No date yet for the 9PM Newscast.

Wonder how long before 12 News This Morning Expands to 12-2 like WESH 2 and WFTV 9 in Orlando

Good move to me, honestly. It's begun to feel like the 10:30 half-hour just was the place where the Hearst/ABCN and the 'talk over viral video' filler that didn't fit anywhere else could go, and they probably saw a good-sized tune-out for the late night shows. No Packers playoffs either made the call easier than usual. Hopefully the night owls stuck watching Rachael at 1:07 get a half-hour break too.

I am surprised that they aren't starting with a half-hour Justice show to take advantage of WITI's Spectrum shut-out on Monday though (I'm sure it involves an advanced notice to Justice and they can only do it once 2Q starts in April). It looks like it's going a lot longer than I feared, but outside a football game and watching Fox shows the next day, it's easy to cope with it so far.

Likely some affiliation agreements are coming up or are taking affect. Because of the government shutdown I can’t see the public file but there have been a lot big station group renewals the past year or two and are just taking affect.. 

I don't think WEAR's hour-long 10 p.m. show is going anywhere anytime soon.

Unless ABC gets tough with their affiliates and makes them run Kimmel at 10:35.  Sinclair will probably be the last group to make such a change since they have such a large affiliate base and WEAR has done this quite a while.

What could happen one day is if WEAR and WPMI decide to swap affiliations.  Especially if ABC is still mired in fourth place.  IF....(and thats a big IF) that does happen, the hour-long 10 p.m. show is dunzo because NBC is not going to stand for The Tonight Show to be bumped to 11....

On 1/9/2019 at 11:26 PM, mrschimpf said:

Good move to me, honestly. It's begun to feel like the 10:30 half-hour just was the place where the Hearst/ABCN and the 'talk over viral video' filler that didn't fit anywhere else could go, and they probably saw a good-sized tune-out for the late night shows. No Packers playoffs either made the call easier than usual. Hopefully the night owls stuck watching Rachael at 1:07 get a half-hour break too.

I am surprised that they aren't starting with a half-hour Justice show to take advantage of WITI's Spectrum shut-out on Monday though (I'm sure it involves an advanced notice to Justice and they can only do it once 2Q starts in April). It looks like it's going a lot longer than I feared, but outside a football game and watching Fox shows the next day, it's easy to cope with it so far.

They are.

https://www.wisn.com/article/abcs-jimmy-kimmel-live-nightline-to-air-30-minutes-earlier-beginning-jan-14/25836618

On 1/12/2019 at 3:44 PM, mvcg66b3r said:

Funny that you mentioned that because KOAT, just like WISN, will also add 9:00 p.m. news on its Justice Network subchannel in the Spring.

With KIFI, all they did was move it to its sister station KXPI and added a second broadcast with Fridays replaced by Sportsline at 10:30 p.m. KIFI still does it, just splits it that's all.

On 1/10/2019 at 1:03 PM, TheRolyPoly said:

Uhh... no they're not. They air Two and a Half Men at 10:35 p.m. instead.

Per Zap2it, KTUL now airs Kimmel at 10:35, pushing Two and a Half Men to 12:06.

2003691667_TVListingsFindLocalTVListingsandWatchFullEpisodesZap2itcom.thumb.png.0ea448f7527a0d2042046337c698978e.png

This leaves WEAR as the lone holdout, still delaying Kimmel to 11 or later.

• 1 month later...

Archived