ABC going after NFL Sunday package?

Georgie56

On 1/11/2019 at 8:03 PM, TSSZNews said:

1st game is simulcast, 2nd game is ESPN only.  Done.

Abstract idea - east coast/central stations run an abbreviated version of their late local news in place of the halftime show in this scenario.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/10/2019 at 12:43 AM, Eat News said:

Who wants to pay a premium for declining ratings and overall dis-satisfaction by viewers?

Advertisers see the real ratings and not the sanitized version the Nielsen Company gives to the public.

It's NOT pretty...and the NFL also has a serious problem with lagging attendance at games.

People don't want to shell out hundreds of dollars to watch a protest.

The pro-sports TV heydays are gone....ESPN is toast...and advertisers will no longer pay premiums to view the NFL's garbage.

The only way the NFL might survive is to cut all telecast back to 3 cameras...and force the viewers BACK into the stands for the au-natural experience.

For the record they have stopped kneeling...

On 1/12/2019 at 7:22 PM, GoldenShine9 said:

One alternative could be to share all Sunday coverage between the four networks, allowing all of ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC to do games free of conference?

I don’t think that will happen. The NFL wants to make as much money as they can.  If each network gets a shot at games then they have no reason to pay the current rate.  They NFL wants a bidding war. 

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, CRThell said:

It's kinda funny - a large reason MNF shifted is because Disney wanted to command those huge sub fees for ESPN. Now that digital and streaming have fragmented the market, they realize they  need marquee games on a marquee network to justify the continued cost and effort.

Guessing it will end up back on ABC as an ESPN simulcast, like they do with the Pro Bowl now.

I've been campaigning for this for years. 'Dancing with the Stars' is not getting a spring season this year, for the first time in its history, and is not a guarantee to return in the fall. That would certainly open up some valuable real estate on ABC's schedule. It could also give ESPN the opportunity to let their creative juices flow. Seeing the simulcasts that the network runs across the ESPN networks for various events could open the door to a MNF statcast, or a separate coaches'/players' commentary feed on cable.

I think Disney might be righting a wrong they made in 2006, they made big mistakes in the late 2000s not only turning ABC Sports into a simulcast of sports programming seen on ESPN but migrating all of the major events (except the NBA Finals) from ABC to ESPN.

20 hours ago, channel2 said:

I remember when Disney starving ABC of sports was seen as Smart Business. Doesn't even feel like it was that long ago.

That was before ESPN (and other cable networks) got hit with a wave of cord-cutting (that still continues to this day). ESPN is wising up and realizing it was a mistake to starve ABC nearly of all of the sports programming.

Although I will say, I think ABC losing the Indianapolis 500 (and a few other IndyCar races) to NBC was a wake-up call for ESPN

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the bump, but as a part of ABC's primetime coverage of the NFL Draft, it was announced today that Robin Roberts will return to her ESPN roots as the host on the main network.

https://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2019/03/good-morning-america-co-anchor-robin-roberts-to-host-the-abc-television-networks-first-ever-coverage-of-the-nfl-draft-live-april-25-from-nashville/

• 1 year later...
39 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Interesting.

30 minutes ago, CubsFan79 said:

I hope NBC keeps SNF. Let ABC have MNF.

Agreed. SNF is still doing gangbusters for NBC. Disney should move MNF back to ABC (or simply do a simulcast with ESPN).

Or, in a from-left-field situation, if ABC/ESPN gets the SNF package, NBC gets MNF just because.

1 hour ago, CubsFan79 said:

Have NBC/ABC split Thursday Night Football. Keep the Sunday packages on FOX and CBS. The NFL wants to keep cable from the NFL.

...off cable unless, of course, it's on NFL Network.

I'd be very surprised if the NFL goes for another split-network deal for the Thursday night package. I think the point of offering it to Fox was to keep it on one network to give some predictability/consistency, and Fox has been willing to make it a marquee network event similar to how NBC treats SNF. TNF was always second-fiddle back when NBC and CBS split the rights, which annoyed the NFL to no end—recall the commentator drama that ensued with both NBC and CBS' top teams not wanting to add TNF to their workload. 

1 hour ago, Action Newsroom said:

Interesting.

Agreed. SNF is still doing gangbusters for NBC. Disney should move MNF back to ABC (or simply do a simulcast with ESPN).

Or, in a from-left-field situation, if ABC/ESPN gets the SNF package, NBC gets MNF just because.

I agree MNF should be back on ABC. Regardless of if that happens or not, they need a new broadcasting crew. I caught last week’s game and was bored to tears. The lack of energy and excitement is apparent when compared to Fox, NBC, etc..

1 hour ago, CubsFan79 said:

Have NBC/ABC split Thursday Night Football. 

TNF should never be split between 2 (broadcasting) networks. Fox has done a good job and will likely fight to keep it.

11 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

Interesting.

I agree with CubsFan as well.

I firmly believe that regardless if ABC gets SNF, NBC with MNF or vise versa. I think its all but pretty much a gurantee that both the Peacock and the Alphabet networks are going to have what I believe is going to eventually become 2 of the better primetime packages for the NFL for the first time in perhaps, ever. It used to be that MNF was the better package and SNF not so much (because of being on cable) then when SNF moved to OTA (NBC) and MNF to cable (ESPN) in 2006 it flipped to SNF being the best primetime package and MNF not so much.

Now that both primetime packages are in all likelihood going to be OTA, it's clear as day to me that the NFL needs to apply the flex scheduling to both packages this way both networks will have an equal opportunity to get the best matchups possible.

12 minutes ago, dman748 said:

I firmly believe that regardless if ABC gets SNF, NBC with MNF or vise versa. I think its all but pretty much a gurantee that both the Peacock and the Alphabet networks are going to have what I believe is going to eventually become 2 of the better primetime packages for the NFL for the first time in perhaps, ever. It used to be that MNF was the better package and SNF not so much (because of being on cable) then when SNF moved to OTA (NBC) and MNF to cable (ESPN) in 2006 it flipped to SNF being the best primetime package and MNF not so much.

Now that both primetime packages are in all likelihood going to be OTA, it's clear as day to me that the NFL needs to apply the flex scheduling to both packages this way both networks will have an equal opportunity to get the best matchups possible.

I don’t think people (owners, coaches, etc..) would be open to the idea of having a wider flex schedule than what currently exists. 

1 minute ago, jase said:

I don’t think people (owners, coaches, etc..) would be open to the idea of having a wider flex schedule than what currently exists. 

They should be because if those folks you just mentioned may be one of the very reasons why Disney is going after the SNF package a bit more aggressively than they are the Monday Night pkg.

Disney wants the best matchups, that's what SNF provides and that's exactly what they want.

27 minutes ago, CubsFan79 said:

Could NBC/ABC flip the Sunday/Night NFL package. NBC getting MNF, ABC getting SNF. I think ABC should  get MNF back with ESPN simulcast.  

It's quite possible, is it unlikely? Yeah but I wouldn't put it past seeing ABC with SNF especially if @jase is correct about the NFL not willing to give the Monday Night package the same flex scheduling Sunday Night has.

Monday night will not get flex scheduling because of people attending these games. Hotel/flights would have to be changed if it was flexed to Monday night. 

That being said, I believe Fox and CBS will retain their current packages. I also believe that ESPN, ABC, and NBC will each get one of TNF/SNF/MNF. The Super Bowl will rotate between all 4 OTA broadcast networks, and ESPN will get the Pro Bowl.

17 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

Monday night will not get flex scheduling because of people attending these games. Hotel/flights would have to be changed if it was flexed to Monday night. 

That being said, I believe Fox and CBS will retain their current packages. I also believe that ESPN, ABC, and NBC will each get one of TNF/SNF/MNF. The Super Bowl will rotate between all 4 OTA broadcast networks, and ESPN will get the Pro Bowl.

If that were to happen, I bet NBC would select to air the Super Bowl in Winter Olympics years, seeing as they already traded their year with CBS this time around to set up the Super Bowl coverage on the same year as the 2022 Winter Olympics.

Archived