ABC going after NFL Sunday package?

Georgie56

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Nothing is final yet........

I know. But if it happens, MNF should go back to it's original home. Not having the NFL on ABC has hurt the network. ABC has college football and the NBA. ABC wants to be in the SUPER BOWL rotation.  Who can blame them?

9 minutes ago, CubsFan79 said:

I know Amazon has the lead on THNF, but I would like to see NBC or ABC with the NFL network.  have the package. The NFL I think wants the game on OTA TV. This gives NBC and ABC two games a week that CBS and Fox have on Sundays now.    

Neither NBC nor ABC want to blow up their Thursday lineup for the fall football season, so it's probably just going to stay on Fox/NFLN/Amazon Prime Video for the foreseeable future. Beyond an ABC simulcast of ESPN's Monday Night Football and ESPN/ABC getting some Super Bowls, I have a feeling this is going to be one of the more boring NFL rights renewal cycles. 

The Sunday Ticket negotiations are really the more interesting thing to keep an eye on as it's highly unlikely DirecTV will continue paying the insane amount for it that they have been. I for one welcome this news as I'm likely moving out of my team's home market next year and want to be able to watch full games without putting up a dumb satellite dish and locking into a crazy DirecTV contract situation. 

You would think that the NFL wants the games on OTA TV rather then cable or Direct TV. I know the Superbowl would never be on cable. Fox would rather have the Sunday games than THNF games. ABC wants part of the NFL. Amazon could put THNF on cable somewhere like the NFL Network.

21 hours ago, CubsFan79 said:

You would think that the NFL wants the games on OTA TV rather then cable or Direct TV. I know the Superbowl would never be on cable. Fox would rather have the Sunday games than THNF games. ABC wants part of the NFL. Amazon could put THNF on cable somewhere like the NFL Network.

Do you have some inside information that leads you to believe Fox doesn't like drawing an average of 14 million viewers every Thursday night during football season? With the exception of Masked Singer (who knows why), it seems Fox primetime scripted series are netting around 1-6 million viewers. TNF is a significant (albeit expensive) improvement over their usual primetime lineup on one of the most-watched TV nights of the week...but if any media company can spend big bucks to double a night of primetime ratings, it's Fox. 

ABC is ESPN is Disney—the other media company with the deepest pockets—so if they want to start simulcasting MNF on ABC next season full time (and would likely be a requirement to get the Super Bowl back on ABC and ESPN by extension), they'll get it done. FWIW, since Thursday night has been taking the crap national games, the MNF lineup isn't as terrible as it was back in 2006-2009 or so. 

John Ourand of Sports Business Daily says that none of the networks are interested in a deal for TNF after 2022 because of the lack of exclusivity. When anyone who has an Amazon Prime membership can stream the game (in addition to NFL network airing games), Fox is not inclined to pay $660 million+ per year for the package in the future. 
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2020/12/14/Media/Sports-media.aspx

19 hours ago, alex979 said:

John Ourand of Sports Business Daily says that none of the networks are interested in a deal for TNF after 2022 because of the lack of exclusivity. When anyone who has an Amazon Prime membership can stream the game (in addition to NFL network airing games), Fox is not inclined to pay $660 million+ per year for the package in the future. 
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2020/12/14/Media/Sports-media.aspx

FOX TV only wants the Sunday package. If given a choice between Sunday and Thursday games. I like Fox’s Sunday package.

10 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Well, that's one way to kill off The Simpsons once and for all, unless they move BACK to Thursday nights (like seasons 2-5).

Simpsons come on at 8pm on the east coast.

Why would that affect the current Sunday package it already has?.....

3 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

I think tyrannical bastard may have misunderstood and thought that this was referencing the Sunday night package rather than the Sunday afternoon package?

Bingo.  Now that I think about it, trying to add SNF after a late game or a doubleheader would be overkill, or a scheduling nightmare.

On 12/18/2020 at 3:02 PM, CircleSeven said:

Simpsons come on at 8pm on the east coast.

Why would that affect the current Sunday package it already has?.....

The only way it would effect Fox’s Sunday line up, if Fox would go for Sunday Night Football package. I like the current status quo. ABC, as I have said wants a NFL package. Best bet for the Alphabet network is the MNF package or THNFL package. Try to keep the NFL OTA TV as much as possible. My rant.

On 12/16/2020 at 6:11 PM, caliwxdude said:

Neither NBC nor ABC want to blow up their Thursday lineup for the fall football season, so it's probably just going to stay on Fox/NFLN/Amazon Prime Video for the foreseeable future. Beyond an ABC simulcast of ESPN's Monday Night Football and ESPN/ABC getting some Super Bowls, I have a feeling this is going to be one of the more boring NFL rights renewal cycles. 

The Sunday Ticket negotiations are really the more interesting thing to keep an eye on as it's highly unlikely DirecTV will continue paying the insane amount for it that they have been. I for one welcome this news as I'm likely moving out of my team's home market next year and want to be able to watch full games without putting up a dumb satellite dish and locking into a crazy DirecTV contract situation. 

I think after the damage of what CBS, NBC, and then ABC experienced with letting the NFL go, I think we may see all networks now get involved in NFL TV rights in one way or another and contract negotiations and rights will almost become formalities like it was in the 70s and early 80s with the Big 3. The only change we might see with the Big 4 networks in the next 10-15 years after the next deal may be if CBS or Fox feels compelled to swap conference affiliations, but that has become blurred with cross-flexing. Plus, Fox owns a station in almost every NFC market except for Charlotte and New Orleans. 

18 hours ago, jerseyfla said:

I think after the damage of what CBS, NBC, and then ABC experienced with letting the NFL go, I think we may see all networks now get involved in NFL TV rights in one way or another and contract negotiations and rights will almost become formalities like it was in the 70s and early 80s with the Big 3. The only change we might see with the Big 4 networks in the next 10-15 years after the next deal may be if CBS or Fox feels compelled to swap conference affiliations, but that has become blurred with cross-flexing. Plus, Fox owns a station in almost every NFC market except for Charlotte and New Orleans. 

Fox does own the station in Charlotte

Archived