Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
Georgie56

ABC going after NFL Sunday package?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

There’s a report out that ESPN/ABC is considering going after either one of Fox’s NFC or CBS’ AFC Sunday afternoon packages. I bet they would want the former since the NFC is in larger markets. 

 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/08/report-abc-considering-going-after-nfl-sunday-package/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by Georgie56

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the NFC games on FOX. Could see ABC going after the AFC Package. Maybe MNF back on ABC and THNF also on ABC. NBC retaining SNF. With the DISNEY/FOX Merger who knows who gets what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fox is most certain to pay whatever it takes to keep the NFC games on that channel, CBS is a question mark for the AFC games depending on how the saga between them and Viacom plays out, and NBC may put out a bid, but considering all of their current obligations may opt to just keep the Sunday Night package instead.

 

IMHO, Monday Night Football should go back to being on ABC, and at the very least have a chance to air the Super Bowl once again (something they haven't done since 2006). I don't see ABC/ESPN bidding for the Thursday Night package when Fox's deal expires.

 

Since Verizon owns Yahoo!, we will probably see them fight with Amazon over streaming rights.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who wants to pay a premium for declining ratings and overall dis-satisfaction by viewers?

Advertisers see the real ratings and not the sanitized version the Nielsen Company gives to the public.

 

It's NOT pretty...and the NFL also has a serious problem with lagging attendance at games.

People don't want to shell out hundreds of dollars to watch a protest.

 

The pro-sports TV heydays are gone....ESPN is toast...and advertisers will no longer pay premiums to view the NFL's garbage.

The only way the NFL might survive is to cut all telecast back to 3 cameras...and force the viewers BACK into the stands for the au-natural experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, TennTV1983 said:

Fox is most certain to pay whatever it takes to keep the NFC games on that channel, CBS is a question mark for the AFC games depending on how the saga between them and Viacom plays out, and NBC may put out a bid, but considering all of their current obligations may opt to just keep the Sunday Night package instead.

 

IMHO, Monday Night Football should go back to being on ABC, and at the very least have a chance to air the Super Bowl once again (something they haven't done since 2006). I don't see ABC/ESPN bidding for the Thursday Night package when Fox's deal expires.

 

Since Verizon owns Yahoo!, we will probably see them fight with Amazon over streaming rights.

I agree that NBC should stick with SNF. They have too much else going on with NASCAR and other sports during the daytime in the fall. The NFC package is a prized possession for Fox and should be retained at all costs.

 

If NFL on ABC is handled anything like how ESPN has been handling MNF, I'd be kinda worried. I'd rather CBS keep the rights; they know how to broadcast sports without all of the BS.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree as an occasional viewer. ESPNs very different from the rest,  maybe because I just watch the one or two Ravens games WBAL airs on MNF. 

And I want to say it had nothing to do with the ABC ads on an NBC affiliate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear God, please no.

 

ESPN NFL production has been abysmal for years.  The current production is so atrocious I actively dread Monday Night games now.  I don’t trust the people in charge there to get it right.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Say what you want about what Disney has done to ABC's sports programming in general but I absolutely hope that Fox's influence on ABC might convince the Alphabet Network to get serious about Sports once again, And bringing back a seperate Sports Division (Equipment, announcers, etc.) would be a good start

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ABC could have NFL FOOTBALL right now if they simulcast with ESPN. I said earlier ABC could get MNF in 2022 and THNF in 2022. ABC made a big mistake in 2006 by giving up the NFL.

Edited by CubsFan79

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poaching CBS's package could make sense, especially as they're in leadership vacuum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, nickp said:

Poaching CBS's package could make sense, especially as they're in leadership vacuum

Also don't forget who will be running the Alphabet Network after Disney-Fox closes, I guarantee one of the Fox executives that'll be leaving Fox for Disney played a critical role of Fox gaining the NFL from CBS in 1993 and now on what will be the 30th anniversary (in 2022) of the date that changed the NFL (and Fox) forever the same thing might happen except involving AFC rights and not NFC rights

 

And remember what CBS is going through now is similar to what they went through in the Late 80s through the Mid 90s (and in particular from about 1986 to 1992) They will lose the NFL again in about 3 years unless them (and Viacom) get their act together, or else they will lose the NFL in a similar fashion to 1992

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The winners could be DISNEY/FOX. ABC could nab the AFC package. FOX keeps the NFC. NBC will keep Sunday Night Football, or could add Monday or Thursdays package. CBS could also go after the AFC package, Monday or Thursday. The loser could be CBS. The new Disney/FOX merger could doom CBS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2019 at 9:43 PM, Eat News said:

Who wants to pay a premium for declining ratings and overall dis-satisfaction by viewers?

Advertisers see the real ratings and not the sanitized version the Nielsen Company gives to the public.

 

It's NOT pretty...and the NFL also has a serious problem with lagging attendance at games.

People don't want to shell out hundreds of dollars to watch a protest.

 

The pro-sports TV heydays are gone....ESPN is toast...and advertisers will no longer pay premiums to view the NFL's garbage.

The only way the NFL might survive is to cut all telecast back to 3 cameras...and force the viewers BACK into the stands for the au-natural experience.

 

NBC and FOX should really be worried about NASCAR’s ratings freefall, not the NFL.  They are stuck in a contract that runs until 2024 and ratings for some races are down as much as 50% since 2014.  

www.forbes.com/sites/davecaldwell/2018/11/01/even-during-the-2018-playoffs-nascar-viewers-are-tuning-out/amp/

 

The NFL’s tv deals will be just fine, but I really have a hard time seeing NBC and FOX wanting to renew their NASCAR deals in five years.  Who knows how much revenue NBC/FOX will lose between now and then on the current package that they probably overpaid for.  NASCAR better hope they have some improvement in ratings by 2024, or they will be up a certain creek without a paddle.  It will be tough for NASCAR to get bids for the new package if things keep going the way they have been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oknewsguy said:

Also don't forget who will be running the Alphabet Network after Disney-Fox closes, I guarantee one of the Fox executives that'll be leaving Fox for Disney played a critical role of Fox gaining the NFL from CBS in 1993 and now on what will be the 30th anniversary (in 2022) of the date that changed the NFL (and Fox) forever the same thing might happen except involving AFC rights and not NFC rights

 

And remember what CBS is going through now is similar to what they went through in the Late 80s through the Mid 90s (and in particular from about 1986 to 1992) They will lose the NFL again in about 3 years unless them (and Viacom) get their act together, or else they will lose the NFL in a similar fashion to 1992

One, most of those Fox execs who were able to snag the NFC from CBS are likely the ones who are staying at Fox. Most of the executives who are leaving for Disney will come from the entertainment side, many of whom weren't even there in 1993. Two, Even with Les Moonves gone, most CBS execs will for the most part still be there(like Sean McManus) when negotiations are ready to begin(and that would include executives from Viacom should they and CBS decide to re-merge). Third, I would actually be weary of a bid from one of the FAANG gang, as one of them could decide that if traditional TV is in a death spiral, they could go to the NFL with an offer they can't refuse and thus completely destroy what's left of traditional TV.

 

That said, this idea of Disney bidding for an NFL package for ABC is just that, an idea. I would remain skeptical about an ABC deal for one of the Sunday packages until a bid happens.

Edited by HowardSalwasser
Clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an addendum, there's a lot of skepticism of this possibility over at another forum that I frequent. So that alone should tell you that this isn't likely to happen. I'll tell you what forum it is if you ask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, HowardSalwasser said:

As an addendum, there's a lot of skepticism of this possibility over at another forum that I frequent. So that alone should tell you that this isn't likely to happen. I'll tell you what forum it is if you ask.

Which forum?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with some of you on this and I know it's largely contractual thing - but why doesn't ESPN/ABC/Disney just strike a deal for a MNF simulcast on ABC?

 

If they want to get back in the game, that seems like the easiest and most cost-effective solution.

 

I can also think of a good reason why they wouldn't want to do that - it would tank ESPN's value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

I'm with some of you on this and I know it's largely contractual thing - but why doesn't ESPN/ABC/Disney just strike a deal for a MNF simulcast on ABC?

 

If they want to get back in the game, that seems like the easiest and most cost-effective solution.

 

I can also think of a good reason why they wouldn't want to do that - it would tank ESPN's value.

 

MNF has a doubleheader on Week 1. ABC affiliates would protest their late news being bumped to the wee hours of the morning.

 

Also, four words: Dancing. With. The. Stars.

Edited by Georgie56
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Georgie56 said:

 

MNF has a doubleheader on Week 1. ABC affiliates would protest their late news being bumped to the wee hours of the morning.

 

Also, four words: Dancing. With. The. Stars.

 

1st game is simulcast, 2nd game is ESPN only.  Done.

 

Dancing isn't the juggernaut it used to be - it can live elsewhere on ABC's schedule and do fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HowardSalwasser said:

Um, this one.

 

You'll have to register to access. The discussion in in a thread about NFL contracts in 2022/2023.

 

This site?

" News: No "what-if" or hypothetical games. From now on, anyone who starts one will be banned. "

 

Lol...they must have seen us coming...

"First came the Americans from TVNT...then they brought the Speculatron 9000 with them...Oh the humanity!"

Edited by Eat News
Steller vibrato https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOmTdFpIDX8523
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

 

1st game is simulcast, 2nd game is ESPN only.  Done.

 

Dancing isn't the juggernaut it used to be - it can live elsewhere on ABC's schedule and do fine.

 

True and same could go with The Bachelor/ette series, but they’ve been engrained into their head that they air on Monday’s. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dancing with the Stars' spring season got canceled for the first time ever, and there's apparently a decent chance that it won't come back in the fall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets face it, Dancing with the Stars hasn't been the juggernaut as aforementioned above. Also they've been reaching 'strawman' status searching for 'celebs', not like then when they had some substance of a cast. It's like they've exhausted to a point where the term 'star' is fleeting so bad. Like Youtube sensations are 'stars'. This is the world we live in. That the show isn't coming back in spring due in part to fallen ratings, let alone what went down in their just concluded season is telling. 

 

I prefer the best situation, simulcast MNF on ABC. I don't see at a devalue to ESPN as much as a value to ABC. Just start the game at 8:15, it could wrap up around 11:15-11:35p Extended post game can be sent back to ESPN after interviews.  Off-season, have all bachelor/bachelorette shows you want. I see no written law anywhere that states DWTS must air on mondays, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One alternative could be to share all Sunday coverage between the four networks, allowing all of ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC to do games free of conference? ESPN would be out unless they want to simulcast. There would be some restrictions:

 

* Each network would get 6 doubleheaders and 11 singleheaders. All networks get a doubleheader in Week 17, with one or two networks getting a doubleheader each other week. Other sports programming will be considered in what networks take what.

 

* Each network would be guaranteed each team for at least one home and one road game, for the benefit of local affiliates.

 

* Conferences are irrelevant for TV purposes.

 

* Each network can protect one matchup, in a flex setup, alternating between the 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 6th picks (1st pick = Sunday night, 4th pick = Monday night) in the first 16 weeks. In week 17, the NFL controls all matchups. Beyond that, they are assigned by the NFL while ensuring the guarantees are kept.

 

* Sunday night and Monday night games would also alternate between the networks, and would be simulcast on NFL Network.

 

* The Kickoff Game would alternate every 4 years by network, and the other 3 networks would get the Thanksgiving games. There would be no other Thursday games.

 

* In the first two rounds of the playoffs, each network gets one game. They would alternate by year the AFC Championship, NFC Championship, Pro Bowl and Super Bowl (rotating in that group every 4 years). The Pro Bowl network also gets the NFL Draft that year.

 

Streaming rights would be separate.

Edited by GoldenShine9
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.