CBS News Head David Rhodes Out.

Eat News

First things first. CBS This Morning. Make it the CBS Morning news and make it a 2 anchor show with a weather person as well. Keep with hard news and make it enough that it stands out from the other 2.. Revamp it with new on air talent by pulling from affiliates or the outside. That’s first THEN move to the rest. 

17 minutes ago, RealNews18 said:

First things first. CBS This Morning. Make it the CBS Morning news and make it a 2 anchor show with a weather person as well.

In other words, you want to make it like it was when Bill Kurtis and Diane Sawyer were there in the early 80s (when they were using Studio 43 [used at the time for CBS Sports as well; you probably don't remember that])?

The network needs serious changes. I had thought CBS This Morning was on a roll until I realized ratings had stagnated. I too as @RealNews18 suggested would like to see the show renamed the CBS Morning News (with the current program by that name changed to the CBS Early News) and looking much more like a morning edition of the CBS Evening News. As for the Evening News, although I like Jeff, he is not working out. You can't stick it out for the long haul when you're shedding up to 6 percent viewership from the same time a year ago. Some may scoff at the idea, but I think Gayle King should be given a go at the Evening News. She's built up some serious hard news chops, and she has name recognition, and would break barriers. 

With that being said, Susan Zirinsky has a big task ahead of her. Can she get it done? I'm not holding my breath. It doesn't matter who you put in charge of CBS News, I think it's a legacy news division that is just destined for failure. For every positive move they make, there's two idiotic decisions that follow it. You can't fix an organization that doesn't want to be fixed.

6 hours ago, RealNews18 said:

First things first. CBS This Morning. Make it the CBS Morning news and make it a 2 anchor show with a weather person as well. Keep with hard news and make it enough that it stands out from the other 2.. Revamp it with new on air talent by pulling from affiliates or the outside. That’s first THEN move to the rest. 

Yes first things first, blow up the popular concept that was working perfectly just a year ago. That makes the most sense.

CBS just wants some stability right now and that's going to be Zirinsky's primary job. CBS is different from NBC and ABC in that they're not as obsessed with ratings and being #1. They know that's a tall task for them. Their focus has been putting out a more serious news output than the other two. There will be changes, sure, to try and help ratings, but if Zirinsky's work history and track record is any indication, she may try and make CBS News on a whole 60 Minutes and 48 Hours-esque and try to restore faith in journalism.

1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

Yes first things first, blow up the popular concept that was working perfectly just a year ago. That makes the most sense.

Of course...because it couldn't be the CONTENT that could be the issue....

It's the name...or the color of the set...or the music...or the graphics...or the lack of a wx person who speaks greek...

Fact remains that half the people in this country do not agree with the slanted content.

Half!

Next you have viewer erosion which is far greater than anyone wants to admit.

But CBS has been suspended from the Nielsen data game so there could JUST be a small money issue over at CBS.

Ya think?

1 hour ago, RealNews18 said:

Is it working now? Asking for a friend.. 

Is it not working? What is considered working?

The show is still profitable and even when it was doing better they were still in the same spot they're in now. The same spot they were in during the many changes under TES. Good Morning America and Today have kept the same format for the better part of 20 years now and the shows haven't made drastic changes simply because of ratings.

CNN's New Day is similar to what was suggested earlier and they haven't managed to move the needle much. Such a drastic change in format rarely ever works out so yes that is a terrible idea to blow things up.

1 hour ago, Ramona said:

Getting stability at News is just a small way to go given that the network has bigger MeToo fish to fry.

There's definitely that, but there's also a looming and likely merger with Viacom on the horizon at some point. People who have new toys like to experiment with them, especially when they shouldn't. This could well be a way to protect against that.

And even if it isn't, it's a fantastic move anyway and Susan absolutely deserves it. Yes, ratings are down on the daily broadcasts, and I'm of the feeling losing Charlie Rose may have set CBS This Morning back years--but if anyone can figure this out, it's her.

3 hours ago, Eat News said:

Of course...because it couldn't be the CONTENT that could be the issue....

It's the name...or the color of the set...or the music...or the graphics...or the lack of a wx person who speaks greek...

Fact remains that half the people in this country do not agree with the slanted content.

Half!

Next you have viewer erosion which is far greater than anyone wants to admit.

But CBS has been suspended from the Nielsen data game so there could JUST be a small money issue over at CBS.

Ya think?

Ah, yes. Give up on competing with GMA and Today and pivot instead to competing with Fox & Friends. That'll greatly improve ratings. :classic_rolleyes:

On 1/7/2019 at 3:12 AM, RealNews18 said:

Why? How would this improve ratings?

CBS This Morning was doing decent in the ratings (getting 3.8 Million some weeks) until they let Charle go.  They have lost Viewers ever since and have dipped back below 3 Million some weeks over the last years.  Something that hasn't happened in 4-5 years. I  wonder now  if that was the right decision? 

36 minutes ago, TVNewsJunkie15 said:

CBS This Morning was doing decent in the ratings (getting 3.8 Million some weeks) until they let Charle go.  They have lost Viewers ever since and have dipped back below 3 Million some weeks over the last years.  Something that hasn't happened in 4-5 years. I  wonder now  if that was the right decision? 

It was the right decision. I believe if they kept Charlie was kept on and the reports continued to come out they’d lose even more viewership.  I think the ratings have to do with some other changes such as the hiring of John Dickerson and hiring of the fourth anchor. 

Archived