What’s wrong with this theme???

compubit

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2019 at 5:12 PM, Ramona said:

They used the cuts of Image IX that Jerome Gilmer should have expressly told them not to use...

Was Image IX supposed to be used on KCNC and KCNC only or no?

20 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Was Image IX supposed to be used on KCNC and KCNC only or no?

No, but the NBC chime cuts shouldn't have been used on an ABC affiliate...

KRIS's use of the package is funky (the NMSA credits them as the commissioner because who knows why) but the package is so laden with references to the Spirit of Colorado theme song Gilmer wrote in about 1987 that it can't be for anyone else.

Might be a good time to review some of the convoluted history of the Image package series, with a ton of help from Info Junkie's montage. The numbering scheme gets very confusing and has not contributed to a good history of this series of news music:

The first piece of Gilmer music that KCNC seems to have used debuted around 1985 and is the open for the Colorado Evening News. Not long after, what the NMSA labels Image V debuted on almost every other newscast (4:01), replacing Newschannel from Gari.

At some point in around 1986, another Gilmer theme debuted, an early version of Image IV (4:43), for First News. It sounds a little different from the mix we're used to, and there's a reason.

In 1987, a whole lot happens at once. Image V (which would also see use on KHQ at the end of the 80s) is replaced with Image VII (7:07 and on); the This is Colorado theme song debuts; and because we don't have opens, we can't be too sure, but I think two more things happened concurrently.

One is that Image IV is updated and sounds like the version other stations used. (Supporting this theory: the Image IV NMSA sample at :35 in quotes the This is Colorado theme.) At the same time or sometime before 1992, Image VI is updated (14:46), producing a very distinctive (and personal favorite) Image VI "Mk II" with the same three-note signature and the same usage pattern. So by the time KCNC retired all of these packages sometime in October 1992 for a brief and unusual flirtation with Newswire, they were using Images IV, VI and VII.

I wanna go in a bit on Image VI. WKXT Knoxville used a funky, incomplete-sounding mix at the start of the 90s. But the other station to use Image VI—and an Image IV user—is the only one that used Mk II (though the NMSA labels this as Image IV because when this showed up, the first KCNC Image VI Mk II open was not on YT):

After using Newswire between October 1992 and early 1993, KCNC debuts Image IX, along with a new logo. Image IX is a standalone package, unlike the IV-VI-VII meld that had been in use. Image IX and X, and especially Spirit News which debuted in 1997, all call back to the This is Colorado theme extensively.

(Never mind that Image X seemed to creep into KCNC's newscasts months before the first CBS open set debuted, or that Spirit News stuck around in select uses during the time the station was using XTreme News...)

Thanks to @Ntropolis, we have the WSET version of Spirit of Colorado (a second was done when WSET switched from Image VII to IX in 1997):

12 hours ago, Ramona said:

No, but the NBC chime cuts shouldn't have been used on an ABC affiliate...

KRIS's use of the package is funky (the NMSA credits them as the commissioner because who knows why) but the package is so laden with references to the Spirit of Colorado theme song Gilmer wrote in about 1987 that it can't be for anyone else.

Might be a good time to review some of the convoluted history of the Image package series, with a ton of help from Info Junkie's montage. The numbering scheme gets very confusing and has not contributed to a good history of this series of news music:

The first piece of Gilmer music that KCNC seems to have used debuted around 1985 and is the open for the Colorado Evening News. Not long after, what the NMSA labels Image V debuted on almost every other newscast (4:01), replacing Newschannel from Gari.

At some point in around 1986, another Gilmer theme debuted, an early version of Image IV (4:43), for First News. It sounds a little different from the mix we're used to, and there's a reason.

In 1987, a whole lot happens at once. Image V (which would also see use on KHQ at the end of the 80s) is replaced with Image VII (7:07 and on); the Spirit of Colorado theme song debuts; and because we don't have opens, we can't be too sure, but I think two more things happened concurrently.

One is that Image IV is updated and sounds like the version other stations used. (Supporting this theory: the Image IV NMSA sample at :35 in quotes the Spirit of Colorado theme.) At the same time or sometime before 1992, Image VI is updated (14:46), producing a very distinctive (and personal favorite) Image VI "Mk II" with the same three-note signature and the same usage pattern. So by the time KCNC retired all of these packages sometime in October 1992 for a brief and unusual flirtation with Newswire, they were using Images IV, VI and VII.

I wanna go in a bit on Image VI. WKXT Knoxville used a funky, incomplete-sounding mix at the start of the 90s. But the other station to use Image VI—and an Image IV user—is the only one that used Mk II (though the NMSA labels this as Image IV because when this showed up, the first KCNC Image VI Mk II open was not on YT):

After using Newswire between October 1992 and early 1993, KCNC debuts Image IX, along with a new logo. Image IX is a standalone package, unlike the IV-VI-VII meld that had been in use. Image IX and X, and especially Spirit News which debuted in 1997, all call back to the Spirit of Colorado theme extensively.

(Never mind that Image X seemed to creep into KCNC's newscasts months before the first CBS open set debuted, or that Spirit News stuck around in select uses during the time the station was using XTreme News...)

Thanks to @Ntropolis, we have the WSET version of Spirit of Colorado (a second was done when WSET switched from Image VII to IX in 1997):

So basically in layman's terms, WSET should've never used some of KCNC's music packages from both the NBC and CBS eras without asking Jerome Gilmer for permission to use it first is that accurate?

One correction I might add on the 2nd video you linked it's not the "Spirit of Colorado" version KCNC used in the 80s, it was from "This is Colorado" promos on KCNC back in the 80s here's the video I'm referring too

2 minutes ago, channel2 said:

In layman's terms, an ABC affiliate shouldn't have used cuts with the NBC chimes in them.

Without asking Gilmer (Newsmusic Central) for permission first, you are correct

5 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

One correction I might add on the 2nd video you linked it's not the "Spirit of Colorado" version KCNC used in the 80s, it was from "This is Colorado" promos on KCNC back in the 80s here's the video I'm referring to

Spirit in the Rockies, This is Colorado... It all muddled together, but I meant the same thing. Thanks for the correction though.

Just now, Ramona said:

Spirit in the Rockies, This is Colorado... It all muddled together, but I meant the same thing. Thanks for the correction though.

No problem, sometimes we overlook on things that were there but just simply didn't notice it until too late

1 hour ago, Spectrum27 said:

Maybe they got the KCNC cuts by mistake?

The thing is... they had been using Image IX since 1997 with what sounds like the 'proper' cut.

As for the three notes that sound when the newsrooms in Lynchburg, Danville, and Roanoke are mentioned - I can't tell if those are the NBC chimes mixed in with the music, or added when the open was produced. I'd say no since they're a little too slow to sound like NBC chimes, and don't even sound like G-E-C (I'm not musically inclined, so I can't tell)

37 minutes ago, Ntropolis said:

As for the three notes that sound when the newsrooms in Lynchburg, Danville, and Roanoke are mentioned - I can't tell if those are the NBC chimes mixed in with the music, or added when the open was produced. I'd say no since they're a little too slow to sound like NBC chimes, and don't even sound like G-E-C (I'm not musically inclined, so I can't tell)

Chimes, bongs and cowbells...Oh My!

The story of "the chimes" go back almost 100 years now. Seems everyone has a story about "the real chimes" ... NBC vs WSB and KFI...who used them first?

Here is one of the many sites that addresses the various chimes and "ding dongs"( sorry tim ) and tones early broadcasters used or adopted.

http://www.nbcchimes.info/radiochimes.php

Archived