Today Show New Graphics - January 7, 2019

rkolsen

I’m wondering if new graphics are on the way this Monday. During Saturday Today the entire show was missing the template/background graphic where the time/temp and crawl go.  In the past when they don’t trigger the crawl on the weekend they’re graphic changes afoot. This allows stations to update over the weekend. 

1 hour ago, newscopter7 said:

Jesus, bring back the Mission.

This. Based on the screenshot, it looks like the new graphics will follow the style of the new open, which to me was a big downgrade from the old open (with the 3D rendering of 30 Rock). I know they won't, but it'd all be worth it if they brought back the classic theme.

Graphics were slightly underwhelming. It was only the lower thirds and ticker that got an update. Nothing different about opens, weather graphics, etc. Not sure how I feel about basically every newscast in the country having lower thirds on a solid or gradient background with Gotham as the font. Would like to see some variety, but also like the simplicity. Reminds me of the basic nature of on screen chyrons in the 80's.

On 1/7/2019 at 8:14 AM, newsanchor26 said:

Not sure how I feel about basically every newscast in the country having lower thirds on a solid or gradient background with Gotham as the font. Would like to see some variety, but also like the simplicity. Reminds me of the basic nature of on screen chyrons in the 80's.

You kind of answered your own question. It's just the current fad. Fashion is cyclical, as they say. Once the technology was available to do so, everyone wanted flashy flashy flashy. Thanks to the quick rise of mobile devices, flashy didn't work, and things began to be designed so they could work easily across both platforms. Hence, simple colors. Eventually flashy will make a comeback.

One thing I wish they brought back with these graphics is the ticker in the third hour.  On Monday it appeared a few times during the third hour but appeared to be gone today. It meshes well with the graphics and the standalone animating bug looks awkward to me.

On 1/7/2019 at 8:45 AM, susquvalleywgal said:

https://twitter.com/todayshow/status/1082248975279902720?s=21

Love the simplicity of it.  Kinda reminds me a little of KABC-TV gfx. Just a little.

— Matt

Yeah, I’m definitely seeing some KABC/KGO/KFSN influence here, along with a slight hint of KMOV (which I would really like WGCL to get its hands on)

• 3 months later...
On 1/6/2019 at 10:38 PM, newscopter7 said:

Jesus, bring back the Mission.

Amen! The graphics have been struggling since around Ann Curry's departure. Personally I thought the 2010ish graphics were lovely, though they could use a few tweeks.

Screenshot_20190417-134302.png

Archived