Nexstar New Year's Eve

PTVNews

I usually skim the various networks' NYE programs and came across a NYE countdown on KOIN (CBS). At first I was like, "CBS has a countdown now?", but then realized it was a bit amateurish to be a CBS show. 🤷‍♂️ I thought it must have been a Nexstar produced program after hearing references to 8 News Now, and then of course found the Nexstar press release talking about the program.

https://www.nexstar.tv/klas-tv-cbs-to-host-25th-annual-countdown-to-2019-live-from-las-vegas-television-special-featuring-live-music-special-guests-and-fireworks/

Was this the first year they did this? I don't remember seeing this before. It was not actually that bad. Pretty impressive they put on a 4+ hour program. I wonder if KLAS outsourced any part of the production?

I loved the beautiful shots of the Vegas strip and seeing celebrations in the various time zones. They had 1 or 2 times per hour where they let the station cut-in for a local segment. KOIN cut in live with a reporter up on the mountain with skiers and fireworks.

If they do it again, I'd recommend better graphics, better entertainment (preferably live or but could be pre-produced), and better technical execution of switching to the local station cut-in.

43 minutes ago, PTVNews said:

I usually skim the various networks' NYE programs and came across a NYE countdown on KOIN (CBS). At first I was like, "CBS has a countdown now?", but then realized it was a bit amateurish to be a CBS show. 🤷‍♂️ I thought it must have been a Nexstar produced program after hearing references to 8 News Now, and then of course found the Nexstar press release talking about the program.

https://www.nexstar.tv/klas-tv-cbs-to-host-25th-annual-countdown-to-2019-live-from-las-vegas-television-special-featuring-live-music-special-guests-and-fireworks/

Was this the first year they did this? I don't remember seeing this before. It was not actually that bad. Pretty impressive they put on a 4+ hour program. I wonder if KLAS outsourced any part of the production?

I loved the beautiful shots of the Vegas strip and seeing celebrations in the various time zones. They had 1 or 2 times per hour where they let the station cut-in for a local segment. KOIN cut in live with a reporter up on the mountain with skiers and fireworks.

If they do it again, I'd recommend better graphics, better entertainment (preferably live or but could be pre-produced), and better technical execution of switching to the local station cut-in.

They did it last year too. Its basically a simulcast of KLAS's local coverage for New Year's. All the stations in Las Vegas go non-stop with coverage of New Year's celebrations there. The only thing added since Nexstar started simulcasting were the coverage of the countdown in Dallas and Denver (it was Phoenix last year but I think because of the fireworks ban there, they went with just a camera feed of the fireworks in Denver).

It is entertaining watching all the different shows going on in Las Vegas at that time. It was simulcast to all Nexstar markets in the Mountain and Pacific timezones. The ones in the southern part of the Central time zone simulcasts KXAS's coverage in Dallas.

I do have to admit that it is a smart idea on Nexstars part and gives viewers another option besides a tape-delay of the network's coverage of Times Square. My only issue was that the stream for KLAS kept timing out on me

14 minutes ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

It is entertaining watching all the different shows going on in Las Vegas at that time. It was simulcast to all Nexstar markets in the Mountain and Pacific timezones. The ones in the southern part of the Central time zone simulcasts KXAS's coverage in Dallas.

I do have to admit that it is a smart idea on Nexstars part and gives viewers another option besides a tape-delay of the network's coverage of Times Square. My only issue was that the stream for KLAS kept timing out on me

I imagine so, were they in the air? As an aside I saw a video someone did from the Hollywood Hills (I assume) and was amazed at all the fireworks going off with the city in the distance. What a sight. 

I saw KXAS coverage and looked like they had very generic graphics. 

Raycom used to do a show out of Mobile featuring a "moon pie" drop from one of their RSA-owned skyscrapers.  WKRG aired it locally since Raycom never had a station there.  I don't know how many stations carried it, but it was a good, live alternative to the east coast national shows since the ball drops an hour early (due to Eastern Time).

• 3 weeks later...

Before Nexstar bought KLAS, the NYE countdown was 100% locally produced and featured complete local coverage from the 8NN team.  Since 2015, Nexstar turned it into a regional production featuring selected on-air talent from their western stations flown in to LV along with only a handful of personalities from KLAS.  Nexstar corporate and handpicked NDs from other stations also descend upon Channel 8 Drive to supervise the live production.

Archived