Out & About

TexasTVNews

I wondering what newscast he will anchor? They've been shuffling anchors over there at broadcast house. Jeff doing morning news which seems to fit him. JoAnne doing Noon and Carolyn and Glenda are doing 5pm. I'm so not a fan of Stephen...They need Guy Gordon back 6/11 on 7.

Guy Gordon left 7 on bad terms in '03... He's happy at WDIV I think. If anything he'll anchor the 5 but I think he'll just report for awhile. Stephen fits the anchor mold at 7... Guy Gordon never did.

Guy Gordon left 7 on bad terms in '03... He's happy at WDIV I think. If anything he'll anchor the 5 but I think he'll just report for awhile. Stephen fits the anchor mold at 7... Guy Gordon never did.

I think the story went a little like this... The news director at that time elevated Stephen to the evening gig, because they worked together in New York City. Guy got the ax and went over to 4 for the morning gig. You say Guy never fit the anchor mold at 7, but he was there for 18 years and succeed Rich Fisher on the 6pm and Bonds on the 11pm. Diana and Guy were great together. Stephen to me doesn't fit the mold he just irk me, and wish they would find a leading male anchor.

As for Guy and since DIV is riding high in the ratings; they should go expand their 4pm news to hour with Guy and Ruth and double back at 5:30pm while Carmen/Devin do 5,6,11pm. I have a alot of family members in the Detroit market of course 7 always been the preferred choice for the last 40+ years, but I see alot of them switching to 4 and evenly shocking FOX 2. Wish CBS would of gotten 62 in the game.

I think the story went a little like this... The news director at that time elevated Stephen to the evening gig, because they worked together in New York City. Guy got the ax and went over to 4 for the morning gig. You say Guy never fit the anchor mold at 7, but he was there for 18 years and succeed Rich Fisher on the 6pm and Bonds on the 11pm. Diana and Guy were great together. Stephen to me doesn't fit the mold he just irk me, and wish they would find a leading male anchor.

As for Guy and since DIV is riding high in the ratings; they should go expand their 4pm news to hour with Guy and Ruth and double back at 5:30pm while Carmen/Devin do 5,6,11pm. I have a alot of family members in the Detroit market of course 7 always been the preferred choice for the last 40+ years, but I see alot of them switching to 4 and evenly shocking FOX 2. Wish CBS would of gotten 62 in the game.

They have the highly rated Inside Edition in there at 430. That's not gonna get moved as long as it does well. Stephen Clark is more or less a Bonds-style anchor. Guy has his 11am show that he does too. I just don't see the need to reshuffle their lineup as long as it works. I like Stephen Clark myself... he's an old school anchor.

Television syndicated programs always get move on the station schedules and stations have always shuffled anchors to play up their strengths. Guy should be doing the hard news instead of a local fluff piece show. He should be up there with Ruth/Devin/Carmen. Where DIV has households names to play with their strengths where WXYZ has lost ground because of the icons have retired, and their struggling with the newbies crew.

WXYZ is last in demos while FOX 2 #1 in demos and DIV #1 in HH. With WXYZ being a legacy station along with WFAA, WSB and at one time many ABC affiliates all had the same blueprint, but now WSB & WXYZ blueprint is totally opposite. While WSB had a backup plan it seems WXYZ is making it up as it goes, and I try to grasp the reporter side of Stephen Clark, but I don't get him plain and simple. WXYZ still going to struggle and there many variable at hand. a.) Scripps Howard Corporate is the big interference. b.) the different management styles c.) there seem to be no blueprint once Timmons/Lewis/Shayne/Hodak all retired. d) as much as WXYZ was a giant with the big ratings their newscast today is simply just a stale newscast a stark contrast from 20-30years ago.

Television syndicated programs always get move on the station schedules and stations have always shuffled anchors to play up their strengths. Guy should be doing the hard news instead of a local fluff piece show. He should be up there with Ruth/Devin/Carmen. Where DIV has households names to play with their strengths where WXYZ has lost ground because of the icons have retired, and their struggling with the newbies crew.

WXYZ is last in demos while FOX 2 #1 in demos and DIV #1 in HH. With WXYZ being a legacy station along with WFAA, WSB and at one time many ABC affiliates all had the same blueprint, but now WSB & WXYZ blueprint is totally opposite. While WSB had a backup plan it seems WXYZ is making it up as it goes, and I try to grasp the reporter side of Stephen Clark, but I don't get him plain and simple. WXYZ still going to struggle and there many variable at hand. a.) Scripps Howard Corporate is the big interference. b.) the different management styles c.) there seem to be no blueprint once Timmons/Lewis/Shayne/Hodak all retired. d) as much as WXYZ was a giant with the big ratings their newscast today is simply just a stale newscast a stark contrast from 20-30years ago.

It's improved A LOT in the last year and a half...,but yeah it takes a long time to reverse an 11 year decline. WXYZ lacked a plan due to 2 bad news directors and 3 GM's in 2 years. Scripps has invested in a bunch of new reporters in the last 18 months plus WMYD so it's not as bad as it seems.

It's almost back to an O&O staffing level talent wise and the content is comparable. There are some quality control issues still but it feels large market again finally.

More news from KJRH. The stations' weather team is now down to 3.

AM meteorologist George Flickinger announced on Facebook today that he is leaving the station after 10 years (13 years total in the market, starting at KOKI) to become chief meteorologist at WSET-TV in Lynchburg, Virginia.

Flickinger's last day is Tuesday.

More news from KJRH. The stations' weather team is now down to 3.

AM meteorologist George Flickinger announced on Facebook today that he is leaving the station after 10 years (13 years total in the market, starting at KOKI) to become chief meteorologist at WSET-TV in Lynchburg, Virginia.

Flickinger's last day is Tuesday.

Scripps has one of those arcade "claw" machines full of weather robots in Phoenix. They will fedex a new one for you if you ask...and send 50cents.

Scripps has one of those arcade "claw" machines full of weather robots in Phoenix. They will fedex a new one for you if you ask...and send 50cents.

An "arcade claw" will never fly in Oklahoma. Most who do weather there have to have high-level meteorology training (and it can't be learned on the job either), or they would be laughed at.

Found some interesting comments (that I had to rewrite as I'm on my phone so forgive me for errors) on this video I posted:

[yt]8Ngumw2qCfI[/yt]

Literally the only problem with WJZ are the terrible graphics packages, and the set (which is untouched since their 90s upgrade). Keep Chroma Cues, and get rid of the "Maryland's News Station". It was stupid when it was "Baltimores News Station" and Maryland doesn't make it better.

I know people who work at JZ and CBS has done significant research that says Baltimore doesn't want to see change so they get to be the exception to the CBS rule, plus the station is one of the few stations in the group wig high ratings.

I find the last one interesting. I imagine WJZ is a bit like WPVI but even they moved into the future. I guess the want to keep the Baltimore kitsch. . It makes me wonder why WJZ is worried when the other stations upgraded their set and graphics with no viewer out range online.

I have nothing but respect for KOCO right now. I honestly cried reading this news the first time and I think I'm going to cry again:

I'm glad that KOCO realizes that this is more than just competition and that they can set it aside so that KFOR can mourn one of their own. We don't see it happening this much in Television News, but I will say that KOCO is doing the best move ever. One station helping another out. Its about OKC, not the competition at this point and the stations coming together to help. Bravo, KOCO!

Guest Former Member 207

I have nothing but respect for KOCO right now. I honestly cried reading this news the first time and I think I'm going to cry again:

Class move indeed by KOCO...people sometimes tend to forget that people who work at these different stations have forged relationships amongst each other over time, and what happens to one can always affect others.

Jacky Harry, who has covered sports in Kansas City for 40 years and is the current sports director at KSHB, will retire on June 30. Man has been around for decades, but actually isn't that well-liked in the market.

http://www.kshb.com/about-us/kshb-tvs-jack-harry-announces-retirement-after-40-years-of-kansas-city-sports-coverage

Class move indeed by KOCO...people sometimes tend to forget that people who work at these different stations have forged relationships amongst each other over time, and what happens to one can always affect others.

Longtime lurker, first time poster...

I'm long gone from Oklahoma, but I grew up just outside OKC watching Channel 4 (WKY/KTVY/KFOR). Bob Barry Sr. or Jr. held the sports director's chair there for 49 years. As mentioned in a column in Friday's Oklahoman, the station has changed call letters more than it has changed sports directors. They were truly legendary in that market.

Relationships are tight, even among long-time competitors. Brothers Kelly (KWTV) and Kevin Ogle (KFOR) are prime-time anchors on competing stations. Their father, Jack, was an anchor on WKY (now KFOR) in the 1960's and 70's. Kevin's daughter Abigail is a morning anchor on KOCO.

KOCO is really stepping up to the plate by staffing the KFOR newsroom on Friday. This is a big loss to the market and to the community.

That is amazing they would do that...Tribune and Hearst must have worked out a deal there. I figured that KFOR would have been filled in by a sister station (most likely KFSM) first if the entire news team is away.

Longtime lurker, first time poster...

I'm long gone from Oklahoma, but I grew up just outside OKC watching Channel 4 (WKY/KTVY/KFOR). Bob Barry Sr. or Jr. held the sports director's chair there for 49 years. As mentioned in a column in Friday's Oklahoman, the station has changed call letters more than it has changed sports directors. They were truly legendary in that market.

Relationships are tight, even among long-time competitors. Brothers Kelly (KWTV) and Kevin Ogle (KFOR) are prime-time anchors on competing stations. Their father, Jack, was an anchor on WKY (now KFOR) in the 1960's and 70's. Kevin's daughter Abigail is a morning anchor on KOCO.

KOCO is really stepping up to the plate by staffing the KFOR newsroom on Friday. This is a big loss to the market and to the community.

It's gonna be hard to deliver Sports on KFOR without a Barry delivering it anymore.

Kudos to KOCO for stepping up to assist. The mutual aid is more common than one might think, especially during tragic times. Last year when KFMB lost Larry Himmel, KNSD stepped up and provided KFMB some assistance (basically what KOCO did for KFOR), so that more staff could attend the funeral. The KFMB anchors even gave an on-air thanks to their colleagues at NBC 7 for helping them out. You compete when it comes to covering the news, you come together and help one another in a time of need.

Kudos to KOCO for stepping up to assist. The mutual aid is more common than one might think, especially during tragic times. Last year when KFMB lost Larry Himmel, KNSD stepped up and provided KFMB some assistance (basically what KOCO did for KFOR), so that more staff could attend the funeral. The KFMB anchors even gave an on-air thanks to their colleagues at NBC 7 for helping them out. You compete when it comes to covering the news, you come together and help one another in a time of need.

There hasn't been an example of this kind in Baltimore. However WJZ helped WMAR (they share a transmitter building) get back on air during the barricade situation last year and many years ago WBAL and WJZ were evacuated because a crane on their tower became loose. WJZ reported from WBFF's garage and WBAL broadcasted from MPT's studios.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic