Message added by Weeters

This thread will soon become "Comings and Goings", a thread targeted at talent and staff arrivals and departures. Please consider starting new threads for anything that does not fit this criteria. 
Click here for more information regarding the sunsetting of "general" threads.

Fred Shropshire announces his departure from WTVD effective Friday. No station/city announced publicly except that he will be a main anchor at "another station", which leads me to believe he'll be staying in the Triangle.

I say WNCN because WRAL already has David Crabtree and Gerard Owens to fill all their afternoon and evening newscasts.
  • Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I worked with a news anchor who battled an alcohol addiction. It's not just about someone having too much fun and getting carried away, there sometimes are much deeper issues we don't know about. My c

Posted Images

WISN's Craig McKee, who has been anchoring the weeknight 5, 6 and 10p newscasts alongside Kathy Mykleby, is leaving to take a top spot at WCPO in Cincinnati.

My money is on Tim Elliott, the new "breaking news anchor" for 12 News This Morning to take his spot...

Interesting that WISN and WTMJ both have senior anchor vacancies right now.

My money is on Tim Elliott, the new "breaking news anchor" for 12 News This Morning to take his spot.

I don't think so. I think they're going to do an external search, looking for someone with a little more seniority.

I don't think so. I think they're going to do an external search, looking for someone with a little more seniority.

I knew there wouldn't be an external search. Here's the new anchor lineup:

5 p.m.: Toya Washington, Patrick Paolantonio, Mark Baden

6 & 10 p.m.: Kathy Mykleby, Joyce Garbaciak, Patrick Paolantonio, Mark Baden, Dan Needles

So Tim Elliott likely takes Patrick's AM spot, they get a new breaking news anchor from a smaller Hearst market. Joyce was anchoring weekends if I'm not mistaken, so they will need to find a replacement there as well. Here's the very long winded release.

I think WISN made the right moves here.

6 & 10 p.m.: Kathy Mykleby, Joyce Garbaciak, Patrick Paolantonio, Mark Baden, Dan Needles

So Tim Elliott likely takes Patrick's AM spot, they get a new breaking news anchor from a smaller Hearst market. Joyce was anchoring weekends if I'm not mistaken, so they will need to find a replacement there as well. Here's the very long winded release.

I never think it's a good idea to have a same sex pairing (male or female) on your main newscast.

@TVNewsLover

In this climate of television there seem to be a shift to have (2) women anchoring the news together. At one time Hearst had a few stations where (2) female would anchor the 11pm. There seems to be a shift where women are on the anchor desk vs. the male/female tradition of anchoring. I think that going to be the new normal of (2) female either on station marquee 5 or 6pm news.

Part of me thinks this is still sort of temporary, although temporary may last for a while. By that, I mean that I wonder how long Kathy has before she starts thinking about retirement herself. I could see Joyce becoming Kathy's replacement as the female anchor with the most seniority; and they'd then pair her with a male anchor (Patrick, possibly, or someone from outside the station).

Edit: Joyce was previously anchoring 5:00, fill-in at 6 and 10, as well as doing special projects.

So they're going with a three anchor format at 6 and 10? Interesting.

So they're going with a three anchor format at 6 and 10? Interesting.

They have the two anchors at the main desk, and when available, a third anchor at the "breaking news desk" (the extra pod in the main studio).

Toni Valliere was previously doing the "breaking news desk" anchor job, at least for a while.

I've mentioned on my last post two weeks ago that WEVV is relaunching its newscasts this fall. CBS44 already made the hires of their evening/late news, not the station has now hired new

anchors for their morning and midday newscasts.

Shelby Coates will anchor alongside Mellisa Schroeder, and Jackie Brown will be their meteorologist.

Coates comes to WEVV from WSPA/Spartanberg, SC

Schroeder worked at KARK/KLRT/Little Rock, ARK.

and Brown worked at KXLY/Spokane, WA

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wevv-names-morning-team-for-launch/148706

Chris Hohmann updated his post to say Fred & Sheyenne Rodriguez (also a WTVD reporter) will be moving to Charlotte. No word on what station as of yet.

My bet is either WCNC or WJZY.

KGTV (ABC-San Diego) Military Reporter Bob Lawrence is retiring after 33 years at Channel 10. During this evenings broadcast, Bob is showing some of his favorite clips.

This seemed to come up quickly, unlike the month long farewell to another 30+ year veteran Bill Griffith. I wonder if there is a move to clean out the old timers and if so, is Kimberly Hunt next to announce a retirement?

KGTV (ABC-San Diego) Military Reporter Bob Lawrence is retiring after 33 years at Channel 10. During this evenings broadcast, Bob is showing some of his favorite clips.

This seemed to come up quickly, unlike the month long farewell to another 30+ year veteran Bill Griffith. I wonder if there is a move to clean out the old timers and if so, is Kimberly Hunt next to announce a retirement?

Doubtful. Bill and Bob are both in their 60s, Kimberly is in her 50s. Plus, they are in a tight race with KFMB for 1st/2nd place on the 11pm news and I doubt they are going to want to make changes when they are pretty competitive.

Chris Hohmann updated his post to say Fred & Sheyenne Rodriguez (also a WTVD reporter) will be moving to Charlotte. No word on what station as of yet.

His last three twitter follows were Bill McGinty, Michelle Boudin and Dianne Gallagher, all 3 from WCNC

His last three twitter follows were Bill McGinty, Michelle Boudin and Dianne Gallagher, all 3 from WCNC

Well there you go. That sounds like a high chance clear move that Fred is moving to Gannett/Tegna's WCNC NBC Charlotte.

Yes there is a move to cut cost. If you are an oldtimer at KGTV you will accept a pay-cut...or retire. It's NOT a secret at KGTV

Forget the on-air retirements. KGTV recently blew out a 30+ year assignment manager(B.M.) who really held the entire place together and was the longest serving AE in SD. They also pushed Managing Editor J.W. August out ...the GMs assistant 30 years...gone.

The saddist thing at 10-News is having to answer the phone calls from the little boys and girls asking how come they didnt see Sky-10 over thier school lockdown or wild fire.

"I'm sorry Johnny, but Sky-10 flew too close to the sun...and it's not comming back"....

That is sad.

• Like 2

I have sad news to report tonight: WTVR anchor Stephanie Rochon is now gravely ill from her battle with cancer. She's been undergoing treatment for cancer for more than eight months. Since Rochon's absence, Candace Burns has been filling in for her on the 6pm and 11pm news. Please keep Stephanie and the WTVR family in your thoughts and prayers.

http://wtvr.com/2015/05/20/prayers-for-stephanie-rochon/

https://www.facebook.com/cbs6wtvr/posts/10152944705412426

https://www.facebook.com/BillFitzgeraldCBS6/photos/a.902574936427942.1073741825.177304145621695/987672831251485/?type=1&permPage=1

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic