Out & About

TexasTVNews

WCCO launched a 9am newscast, WCCO Mid-Morning, this past Monday. The format is mostly "fluff" and roundtable discussion of the days "talkers" coupled with the days headlines and weather. It's hosted by Jason DeRusha and Kylie Bearse. And, they will be joined by 2 members of WCCO's on-air staff rotating daily. WCCO Mid-Morning replaces The Queen Latifah Show which ceased airing new episodes earlier in March. I wouldn't be shocked if the concept expands to other CBS O&O's and WCCO is being used as the test bed.

I wonder if it's going to be similar in concept to KDKA's Pittsburgh Today Live? If so, then WCCO might have a hit unless the Today Show on KARE and Live on KSTP get really good ratings.

It's hard to explain to someone that hasn't seen either show. But, it's kind of a clone of KMSP's The Buzz that airs in the same slot. The big difference being KMSP is heavy on the gossip/pop culture/entertainment news while WCCO has swapped that out for more lifestyle/human interest news. Otherwise, they both very similar both having a panel discussing a few "big" stories, reporting the headlines at :00 & :30, and a forecast or two mixed in. Looking at videos on KDKA's site it is similar in some ways to WCCO's new show but, I'd still say it's a different concept.

Notice the mistakes. You said 9pm and 10pm.

And KSTP shortening its hour-long 10:00 p.m. weeknight newscast? Ah shucks. That was probably the best thing of KSTP's 10pm news, considering it was an hour-long, compared to WCCO, KMSP and KARE.

Whoops. Thanks for pointing that out.

On the plus side we finally get Jimmy Kimmel Live in HD as well. KSTP didn't/doesn't have the ability to tape delay in HD. So, all these years we've had JKL in all it's SD widescreen glory.

You would be incorrect as WFAA broke their ties with KFWD nearly three years ago...

http://unclebarky.com/dfw_files/ab790f08e973743a111e39b6fba1707e-2436.html

Ugh, somehow I think I knew that. Hence, why I'd didn't reference it in those original posts I linked to. But, for whatever reason that JSA popped back into my head. I stand corrected...thanks for correcting my error.

And, another small nugget from the Twin Cities market. KMSP is testing a news news/talk show called

Friday nights @ 9:30pm. The link is to the first episode but, the best way I can describe it is basically a news/talk radio show adapted to TV. It's "hosted" by two talk radio hosts who discuss/debate the weeks "big" news stories. The EP appears on screen acting as a moderator of sorts telling them when to move on and giving them a new discussion topic. I believe it's getting a six episode test. Not horribly surprising as KMSP has been testing all sorts of half-hour "newsy" programs over the last year from "The Reporters" to "Game Day" to "The Goods" and now "Enough Said".

And, another small nugget from the Twin Cities market. KMSP is testing a news news/talk show called

Friday nights @ 9:30pm. The link is to the first episode but, the best way I can describe it is basically a news/talk radio show adapted to TV. It's "hosted" by two talk radio hosts who discuss/debate the weeks "big" news stories. The EP appears on screen acting as a moderator of sorts telling them when to move on and giving them a new discussion topic. I believe it's getting a six episode test. Not horribly surprising as KMSP has been testing all sorts of half-hour "newsy" programs over the last year from "The Reporters" to "Game Day" to "The Goods" and now "Enough Said".

Wouldn't be surprised if more viewers tune to KSTC at 9pm or if that broadcast becomes #1 because of this program.

Kristyn Caddell most famous for having the affair with former NBC Dateline reporter Chris Hansen out at WFTV:

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/reporter-kristyn-caddell-out-at-wftv/146113

My opinion she since hasn't had much luck in the past 4 or 5 large markets she's worked at perhaps she should go work for low market station such as something in Missoula Montana then work here way up.

From WFMZ thread:

Not really related to 69 News, but WFMZ aired a syndicated morning talk/entertainment show from 9-10AM called "The Daily Buzz". It was in 150-some markets around the country and was canceled Friday--not because of ratings, but because an investor pulled out. It was on for 13 years. WFMZ is now airing some more judge/court shows in its place.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/tv/tv-guy/os-daily-buzz-canceled-20150417-post.html

As the morning show that have once aired in The CW Plus and Soul of the South Network, it's really surprising.
  • Like 1

As the morning show that have once aired in The CW Plus and Soul of the South Network, it's really surprising.

Not surprising to me. They have been falling in the ratings for years now and has never be the same show, since the original cast left with Andrea, Ron, Dao, Mitch, Kia, etc.

WFAA is losing a familiar face, Meteorologist Julie Bologna has left WFAA-TV (Or as Ed Bark calls it Gannett8). Bologna's last day was April 12th of last Sunday after three years working at News 8. As many

of you already know, Julie worked at KTVT at morning meteorologist before returning to her hometown of Pittsburgh, PA to rejoin WPXI when she was Chief Meteorologist.

http://www.unclebarky.com/dfw_files/c9d9b11c3b25fd557135faa2e809c88b-3367.html

Channel 8 WISH-TV new ND comes right next door from WBNS-TV in Columbus, OH. Elbert Tucker moving over to Indy to head the news division at WISH-TV.

This is a pretty big get for WISH. WBNS is competitor and powerhouse WTHR's sister station. Clearly, Tucker knows his stuff as it reflects in WBNS's ratings success.

NECN overhauls anchor changes in Boston.

5 AM – 9 AM Latoyia Edwards / Brian Shactman / Matt Noyes

9 AM – 10 AM Bridget Blythe / Matt Noyes

10 AM – 11 AM Brian Shactman / Nelly Carreno

11 AM – 12 PM Latoyia Edwards / Nelly Carreno

12 PM – 1 PM Bridget Blythe / Steve Aveson / Nelly Carreno

4 PM – 5 PM Mike Nikitas / Steve Aveson / Nelly Carreno

5 PM – 6 PM Kristy Lee / Brian Burnell

6:30 PM – 7 PM Mike Nikitas (Business)

7 PM – 7:30 PM Kristy Lee / Brian Burnell

9 PM – 10 PM Kristy Lee / Mike Nikitas

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/necn-overhauls-anchor-line-up-launches-investigative-and-consumer-units/146490

WXYZ has finalized the last of its anchor changes:

The Now Detroit is now anchored by lead anchor Stephen Clark who also does the 6/7/11 shows and JoAnne Purtan who also anchors the Noon show.

7 Action News At 5 is now anchored by lead anchor Carolyn Clifford who also anchors the 6/7/11 shows and Glenda Louis who also anchors the 10pm on WMYD.

In Springfield, MA, Western Mass News has made its debut. Its the combination of WSHM-LD 3 (CBS 3) and WGGB 40.1/40.2 (ABC 40 and FOX 6, respectively). This is after WSHM's owners at Meredith bought WGGB from Gormally. The new news operation made its debut yesterday at 12:00 Noon.

https://changingnewscasts.wordpress.com/2015/04/22/western-mass-news-makes-debut-from-wggb-wshm-ld/

I can see that or Chris Lawrence. If Jim does get the 11PM, I see some other shuffling happening (possibly with the 4PM).

TexasTVNews, you are correct. According to WTOP, Jim Handly will take over the 11PM and will still do the 5PM News.

http://wtop.com/local/2015/04/vance-staying-with-nbc-washington-but-wont-co-anchor-11-p-m-news/

You're correct. WRC's made an official post on their site. http://www.nbcwashington.com/on-air/Jim-Vance-Anchor-News4-WRC-Jim-Handly-300961461.html

(beaten to it by a WTOP article, but whatever...)

Chris Lawrence gets 4pm, and Erika Gonzalez takes over weekend evenings. Chris will probably take over the 6pm once Jim retires in 2017.

According to Mikemcguff.com KENS is getting a new ND. Jack Acosta joins from their Houston sister KHOU. He was the AND there and has been with KHOU since 2005. Their old ND Triston Sanders moved over to the dark side as a consultant for Magid.

http://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2015/04/jack-acosta-KENS-news-director-san-antonio.html

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic