Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
TexasTVNews

Out & About

"WPRU" had the rights to People's Court, but Storefront/LKK/whatever "WPRU"'s owners call themselves now, will probably just move it to "WSJX" (Fox) or WSJP-LD (CW).

And I put the calls in quotations, 'cause both WPRU-LP and WSJX-LP have been silent for over a year and a half. They're both just branded subchannels of WSJP-LD now, if WPRU's even exists anymore.

As for the language thing, it's frequently said here that only about 1/4 of Puerto Ricans are actually bilingual.

I'd say a good portion after that 1/4 can read, write, and understand English pretty well. Speaking it, however, is another thing entirely. That's thanks to the public education system which for decades, when it comes to English, has had a strong emphasis on reading, vocabulary, and grammar, but very little on oral communication. Basically, most bilinguals here are either mainlanders (be they of Puerto Rican decent or not), have spent time on the mainland, or just studied in private schools.

The sale of KTVH from Intermountain West (Beartooth Communications Company) to Gray Television has closed. Gray has introduced a modified station logo. Looks like the Beartooth theme may be dead.

KTVH---KBGF287.png

The sale of KTVH from Intermountain West (Beartooth Communications Company) to Gray Television has closed. Gray has introduced a modified station logo. Looks like the Beartooth theme may be dead.

KTVH---KBGF287.png

That logo is bad enough to make me consider a concept redesign for them. Is their news in HD or not?

That logo is bad enough to make me consider a concept redesign for them. Is their news in HD or not?

I highly doubt it. KBGF was only available in analog until last week. Until a couple of weeks ago, their weather graphics consisted of frozen radar screen captures.

I highly doubt it. KBGF was only available in analog until last week. Until a couple of weeks ago, their weather graphics consisted of frozen radar screen captures.

I checked rabbitears.info and fcc.gov, so far, no mention of KBGF-LD. If they had flash-cut to digital, the two sites would have told us by now.

I checked rabbitears.info and fcc.gov, so far, no mention of KBGF-LD. If they had flash-cut to digital, the two sites would have told us by now.

Take a tweet: "Over the air customers in Great Falls can now view KBGF in HD on channel 19. Please re-scan your HD TV sets." That was on October 27.

It is 15 kW and shows up in the FCC query as a NEW station on channel 19 with facility ID 198180.

Take a tweet: "Over the air customers in Great Falls can now view KBGF in HD on channel 19. Please re-scan your HD TV sets." That was on October 27.

It is 15 kW and shows up in the FCC query as a NEW station on channel 19 with facility ID 198180.

Here's the listing on rabbitears.info. It too lists KBGF as a NEW station, but it's supposed to use virtual channel 50.

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=198180#station

Both sites have two records, one a pending application, the other saying it's operating under "Special Temporary Authority". What's that mean, and which one's right?

Also, KBGF HD hasn't been picked up yet by Charter Cable. It would usually be in the 500 range.

http://www.zap2it.com/rmp/tvgrid/tvgridprint?lineupid=USA-MT68818-X&tz=US/Mountain&time=0

I read an article from the Great Falls paper saying that:

#1. The station is using 50.19 as its PSIP. (Why!?!?)

#2. They got STA to sign on early because they feared they could not build the site out during the winter. In 2008 KTVH shut off its analog in November for this reason.

#3. Charter's redoing their lineup in November and going all-digital, and at that point they will add it to Charter.

In other news, today was day one for the Telemundo news expansion at 14 of its 17 stations. Fresno and Fort Myers are coming online early next year; WKAQ already has a newscast in this time slot.

The way the article was written makes me think NBC is running KVDA again.

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this but I don't know where else to put this sad news.

Marianne Bannister's daughter, Claire Marie Wagonhurst, passed away October 16 at age 17 from melanoma. Marianne stated that her daughter developed the cancer as a result of hormonal changes caused by puberty. Claire was recently accepted into the University of Alabama and planned on attending the school next year.

I came across this news because I wondered why I haven't seen Marianne Bannister on WBFF lately. Her WBFF fan page hasn't had any updates since mid June. I assume she has been on leave since July.

My prayers are with her and her family during this difficult time.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/obituaries/bs-md-ob-claire-wagonhurst-20141020-story.html

The way the article was written makes me think NBC is running KVDA again.

KVDA and the Fresno station are no longer listed on ZGS's site so I think you are right. However they are still using Hola Cuidad as their website so it must've been very recent.

Here's an interesting tidbit of information: Comcast's website lists in December they have to renegotiate the carriage of Telemundo's delayed feed that's carried on their Hispanic tier. I wonder why they have to renegotiate carriage with their own broadcast networks?

http://xfinity.comcast.net/learn/programming/

Here's an interesting tidbit of information: Comcast's website lists in December they have to renegotiate the carriage of Telemundo's delayed feed that's carried on their Hispanic tier. I wonder why they have to renegotiate carriage with their own broadcast networks?

http://xfinity.comcast.net/learn/programming/

isn't because the pipeline (xfinity) is a different business unit as content/networks (NBCU) and Comcast has become just a holding name of the two properties? I have to think it was part of the provision of the FCC terms of the deal 4 years ago.

isn't because the pipeline (xfinity) is a different business unit as content/networks (NBCU) and Comcast has become just a holding name of the two properties? I have to think it was part of the provision of the FCC terms of the deal 4 years ago.

I'm reading the FCC document and it appears that they have to ensure reasonable programming prices to other MVPD (cable companies) and to make any content Comcast makes available to its subscribers available to other MVPD at a fair price.

Maybe they just have to go through the motions to show that they charge X amount to their subscribers so that other MVPD will have to pay that amount if they want the feed to comply with the regulations.

We missed an approval of a station sale, of KUQI Corpus Christi. The debtor-in-possession High Maintenance Broadcasting has sold to Corpus 18, LLC. The sale is related to the debts, and Corpus 18 is comprised of the noteholders involved with High Maintenance and a related company, GH Broadcasting, which owned two low-power television stations. One carries MNTV and the other probably MundoFox.

You may recall that KUQI was the subject of a failed sale in 2012 under which it would have been combined with KIII in a shared services agreement. You may not know that their website, kuqitv.com, is, uh, one of the greatest websites in television history.

The most important stakeholders of Corpus 18 are Robert Behar (HERO Broadcasting; KBEH, KMOH-KEJR) and Prime Time Partners, which owns a series of MundoFox stations.

As many of you know or many of you don't know; longtime WDBO/WCPX anchorman Ben Aycrigg passed away yesterday of a short illness at the age of 88. Aycrigg was called 'The Walter Cronkite of Central Florida" who deliver the news for more than 35 consecutive years until his retirement in 1996. Funeral service will be private, but a public memorial will be held next week. I have a full newscast on Ben anchor Channel 6 News at Noon with Charna Davis-Wiese from June 22, 1995 and I'll upload it on my YT channel tomorrow or this weekend.

We at TVNT want offer our prayers and condolences to Ben Aycrigg's family and his extended family at WKMG Local 6 (Formerly WDBO/WCPX) at this difficult time.

Rest in Peace, Ben; God Bless and Godspeed.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/longtime-channel-6-anchor-ben-aycrigg-dies/29553032

You may not know that their website, kuqitv.com, is, uh, one of the greatest websites in television history.

It has a rather... understated design. It loads fast, though! ;)

Too bad it was designed in Word, though.

(It took me less than ten minutes to reduce 21.1 KB of Word-generated HTML to a lean, mean 716 bytes of well-formed HTML and CSS. It made for a fun exercise.)

We missed an approval of a station sale, of KUQI Corpus Christi. The debtor-in-possession High Maintenance Broadcasting has sold to Corpus 18, LLC. The sale is related to the debts, and Corpus 18 is comprised of the noteholders involved with High Maintenance and a related company, GH Broadcasting, which owned two low-power television stations. One carries MNTV and the other probably MundoFox.

You may recall that KUQI was the subject of a failed sale in 2012 under which it would have been combined with KIII in a shared services agreement. You may not know that their website, kuqitv.com, is, uh, one of the greatest websites in television history.

The most important stakeholders of Corpus 18 are Robert Behar (HERO Broadcasting; KBEH, KMOH-KEJR) and Prime Time Partners, which owns a series of MundoFox stations.

Will Corpus 18 flip KUQI to a Spanish network? If so, what will happen to FOX in Corpus Christi?

Wow, Fox really deserves better in Corpus Christi. I made websites with more content than that in my high school computer class.

Fox affiliates in markets much smaller than Corpus Christi have better websites than that. Just look at KYOU's website. They're in Market 200.

http://www.kyoutv.com/

Wow, Fox really deserves better in Corpus Christi. I made websites with more content than that in my high school computer class.

Fox affiliates in markets much smaller than Corpus Christi have better websites than that. Just look at KYOU's website. They're in Market 200.

http://www.kyoutv.com/

I think I made better websites in elementary school using Microsoft FrontPage (!).

To be fair I think High Maintenance (which was run by three women and some family trust) was really banking on that sale to a sidecar of London. When it fell through, the station just absolutely fell through the floor and declared bankruptcy.

The main technical challenge facing Corpus 18 is that the two LPTVs are broadcasting in analog and really need to be converted to digital. I don't think KUQI will be flipped to MundoFox unless Gannett or Cordillera make a move to steal the Fox affiliation for a digital subchannel, in which case that is a certain fate. On the management side, it is highly alarming that KUQI lacks a newscast (which is an obvious overture to make to KIII), a website or a social media presence.

I really don't know how they will fare with Fox, but if they aren't up to the network's standards, don't be surprised to see them bolt either to KDF (their former home, part of the Cordillera operation) or to some venture with KIII. The affiliation contract expires in 2016.

On the relationship between High Maintenance and GH, two of the three partners — Gillis and Hoffmann — owned 44% stakes in High Maintenance while Vanisha Mallory and the Gentile limited partnership each owned 6%.