Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
TexasTVNews

Out & About

Or Raycom could buy WBNX, bump the CW to .2 and send WOIO's intellectual unit to 55.1 while cashing in WOIO's VHF 10 transmitter. 55 Action News, anyone?

That would be a massive downgrade for WOIO and totally foolish for Raycom to consider. WBNX's signal is just as impaired by Canadian signals to the north and thus is probably the worst signal in the market.

WBNX is completely unrecieveable from where I live in Avon, even if I stick my antenna as far as possible. At least WOIO comes in if I make an effort to pick it up. Never have with 55.1.

Far more likely that Tribune will buy WBNX's intellectual property as a whole, run it on WJW 8.2 (scooting off SD-formatted AntennaTV to 8.3), and Angely simply cashes out on 55.1.

That would be a massive downgrade for WOIO and CBS.

Far more likely that Gannett, Scripps or Tribune will buy WBNX's intellectual property as a whole, run it in 720p on 3.2, 5.2 or 8.2, and Angely simply cashes out on 55.1.

Fixed.

Fixed.

Yeah, I kinda threw Tribune in as the clubhouse leader for whatever reason. But indeed, WEWS will be losing Live Well on 5.2 (if ABC hasn't already shut down the network) and WKYC 3.2 has been in an eternal radar loop since 2009, with PSAs thrown in almost at random.

Out of all the potential buyers, Raycom is, far and away, the least likely to get WBNX.

Yeah, I kinda threw Tribune in as the clubhouse leader for whatever reason. But indeed, WEWS will be losing Live Well on 5.2 (if ABC hasn't already shut down the network) and WKYC 3.2 has been in an eternal radar loop since 2009, with PSAs thrown in almost at random.

Out of all the potential buyers, Raycom is, far and away, the least likely to get WBNX.

Maybe WKYC is like KPHO, that they want to somehow keep the weather loop even though there are better things to use that bandwidth for in this day and age.

If it ever comes to WBNX going away in the spectrum auction, WUAB could end up with the CW and MyNetworkTV could be shoehorned onto a subchannel.

Raycom really dropped the ball with WUAB by letting WBNX steal all of the good syndication and replacing it with infomercials and WOIO's rejects.

Aside from a daily airing of "The 90 and 9 club" and their subchannel, WBNX is a completely secular, for-profit station that has been very successful with their WB and CW ratings. Since Rev. Angley is over 90 years old, and with these allegations AND the upcoming spectrum auction coupled with the ownership trends, it seems to be a question of WHEN it's going to happen....

If it ever comes to WBNX going away in the spectrum auction, WUAB could end up with the CW and MyNetworkTV could be shoehorned onto a subchannel.

Raycom really dropped the ball with WUAB by letting WBNX steal all of the good syndication and replacing it with infomercials and WOIO's rejects.

If Raycom didn't run WUAB as a total afterthought, that would be plausible. But there was a reason why the CW passed them over in the first place - WOIO clearly drives the bulk of attention for Raycom in Cleveland. And that was the case even before Bill Applegate and "Action News."

I really doubt that they are even remotely interested in buying out a competitor.

The Great Yuma Merger hasn't gone terribly smoothly.

With every English-language television station in town under common control, it's been a mess to try and get them on the same page in terms of facilities.

Problems have included overruns from CBS sports events on KSWT; transferring KSWT's master control from Texas and bringing over all the CBS receiving equipment; the NBC satellite equipment; and sun outages. Also, the transition of KYMA and KSWT news to high definition is another hurdle.

So where was KSWT being master controlled from? KDBC??

The Great Yuma Merger hasn't gone terribly smoothly.

With every English-language television station in town under common control, it's been a mess to try and get them on the same page in terms of facilities.

Problems have included overruns from CBS sports events on KSWT; transferring KSWT's master control from Texas and bringing over all the CBS receiving equipment; the NBC satellite equipment; and sun outages. Also, the transition of KYMA and KSWT news to high definition is another hurdle.

I wonder how much the satellite equipment costs?

Also I don't have access to the site.

I'm guessing it was one of the centralcasting-for-hire hubs in the DFW area.

I wonder how much the satellite equipment costs?

I'm not sure what the satellite equipment costs. But the NPG facilities don't look too spacious, so I bet the engineers there are experiencing major logistical nightmares. However, I don't see why they'd have to use an separate antenna to receive NBC...they're on AMC 18 just like sister net Telemundo (which has been carried by a KECY subchannel for years).

It's a metered paywall. Unfortunately the entire world has a paywall now, it seems.

However, I don't see why they'd have to use an separate antenna to receive NBC...they're on AMC 18 just like sister net Telemundo (which has been carried by a KECY subchannel for years).

The network may require certain facilities or the technical system is different. The networks have fairly proprietary equipment.

It's a metered paywall. Unfortunately the entire world has a paywall now, it seems.

The network may require certain facilities or the technical system is different. The networks have fairly proprietary equipment.

Some commenter of TVNewsCheck made a comment that the Justice Department will be watching this arrangement and brought up the Joplin Problem of the 70s. Could someone tell me what happened in the 70s other than Janis Joplin's death?

Cherish Lombard is leaving WALA to become an anchor at WKRN in Nashville.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/cherish-lombard-leaving-mobiles-wala_b131496

She, along with former sports anchor Joe Emer host the station's lifestyle program "Studio Ten".

With the transfer to Meredith happening in the near future, her replacement could be a placeholder for Meredith to relaunch the show in the "Better" format.

They've even picked up the national version and are airing it overnight!

Last time on this thread, many were talking about the affiliation switch of ABC in Puerto Rico from low power WSJP (formerly WPRU, but the former two transmitters, it and WSJX-CW merged with WSJP to become one, thus those two signals went silent) to WORA as a sub-channel (based in mayaguez, but plans to transmit on the same channel 5 in Ponce and San Juan to cover the island). The switch takes place Sat. Nov. 1. In preparation, a :30 second promo was released as a tease for the new station. Its facebook page was put up as well:

http://www.facebook.com/DAME5PR

Another note, in Aguadilla/Mayaguez, the western retransmitters of Univision-11 and Telemundo-2 respectively, (WORA-5 and WOLE-12) are switching vice versa. Although still in negotiations, after 20 years as the western coverage for Univision, WORA would retransmit for Telemundo, which harkens as a return for the aforementioned partners, repeated from 1985-94, before then, for rival WAPA-TV from 1979-85. WOLE, which signs on to be a satellite for Univision, retransmitted for Telemundo from 1979-84, for WAPA-TV from 84-94, and Telemundo again from 1/1/95-1/1/15. WAPA was left with no western retransmitter for a while until it signed with WNJX (which then retransmitted WSTE-7 (supersiete) ) in 2001. Another retransmission mess, but not on a 1995 level so to speak.

P.S: Raymie, (or anyone can answer this for that matter) as someone whose more familiar with spanish language television, why are there so many religious stations in Puerto Rico? Is Puerto Rico that 'religious' of a country? Or is it probably better to make money as a religious station than even a low power/low rated ABC/CBS/FOX station, given the island's population of many speaking spanish more than english?

Well, Puerto Rico is heavily Christian (97%, according to Pew Research Center), and nearly three quarters of all Christians there are Catholic. That's a total of 2.6 million Catholics and nearly one million more Protestants. This is a good deal stronger than on the mainland.

The religious stations vary in content. For Protestants, 3ABN, TBN and CTN all have a presence on the island, and there is a local evangelical outlet (WCCV). The Catholic Church owns a station there—which was on VHF in the analog era, to boot, and signed on in 1984. Even the TBN outlet is locally owned.

Now, you might look at PR and think "well, where are all the religious TV stations in Mexico?" They're pretty much boxed out by law there — the government has a bit of a secular streak to it. But (usually Catholic) religious outlets can and do exist in other Latin American countries (El Salvador*, Colombia, Argentina).

Going back to the WORA material, I'm stunned to see no ABC logo. ABC is among the most insistent networks when it comes to network branding. Perhaps they made an exception for Puerto Rico.

*This is a new one. The station is channel 39 and has three 5 kW transmitters. In many central American countries all odd or even channels in UHF are in use, a bandplan that makes DTV transitions exceedingly tough.

Continuing the Puerto Rico talk, Univision has shut down WLII, channel 11.

http://www.elnuevodia.com/univisiondespideapartedesuplantillaenpuertorico-1875039.html (In Spansh)

http://corporate.univision.com/2014/10/univision-puerto-rico-announces-executive-leadership-programming-changes/

News, and other local productions are gone. It is now nothing more than a network repeater. Q.E.P.D., TeleOnce.

Now it's clear why WORA-TV didn't just renew their 20-year contract to semi-satellite WLII. Univision just wasn't going to pay WORA what Raycom agreed to back in 1994 to repeat a station they were going to shut down.

As for the Telemundo/WKAQ-TV situation and WORA, nothing's been decided 'cause there's a bit of a snag. WKAQ has three channels (Telemundo, Punto 2, and WNBC), and WORA already has two lined up (ABC, and Vive (programming from Televisión Española), so I don't know what's going to happen there.

http://www.elnuevodia.com/univisiondespideapartedesuplantillaenpuertorico-1875039.html (In Spansh)

http://corporate.univision.com/2014/10/univision-puerto-rico-announces-executive-leadership-programming-changes/

News, and other local productions are gone. It is now nothing more than a network repeater. Q.E.P.D., TeleOnce.

Now it's clear why WORA-TV didn't just renew their 20-year contract to semi-satellite WLII. Univision just wasn't going to pay WORA what Raycom agreed to back in 1994 to repeat a station they were going to shut down.

As for the Telemundo/WKAQ-TV situation and WORA, nothing's been decided 'cause there's a bit of a snag. WKAQ has three channels (Telemundo, Punto 2, and WNBC), and WORA already has two lined up (ABC, and Vive (programming from Televisión Española), so I don't know what's going to happen there.

I don't see anything that says that WLII is shut down...

They won't be shut down, as what I heard they would be a network repeater. Here's a photo of what happened today at their newsroom.

B0KVcYmCUAEydCo.jpg

Semantics.

No, the station is not off the air, but it'll nothing but a shell of what it was.

It'll be odd, though. The station was never run the same as its sisters stateside, as Puerto Ricans aren't Mexicans. It was a mix of local and cherry picked network shows (which generally ran weeks or months behind stateside stations) in order to cater to local tastes.

We'll see where it goes now.

Univision already had cut weekend news there, which prompted Telemundo PR to add weekend news ahead of schedule.

Some other bullet points from the Spanish article:

• 109 employees are affected by the decision; the final newscasts have already aired. Just one local show will be on.
  • The management structure will combine radio and TV units.
  • "The layoffs are part of a national strategy by Univision to make itself more attractive for a sale, according to a source."

This sportscaster was fired for saying farewell to two co-workers who were leaving the station. Station is KNOP which has seen changes lately now that they are owned by Gray.

[yt]EFmI2Vz11Cc[/yt]

Here's an article to give you more context: http://www.northplattebulletin.com/index.asp?show=news&action=readStory&storyID=28780&pageID=3

Also another sportscaster was fired but this time in Fargo: http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/fargo-sports-director-faces-felony-assault-charges_b131787

This sportscaster was fired for saying farewell to two co-workers who were leaving the station. Station is KNOP which has seen changes lately now that they are owned by Gray.

[yt]EFmI2Vz11Cc[/yt]

Here's an article to give you more context: http://www.northplattebulletin.com/index.asp?show=news&action=readStory&storyID=28780&pageID=3

Also another sportscaster was fired but this time in Fargo: http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/fargo-sports-director-faces-felony-assault-charges_b131787

I was going to post a thread about this but forgot. The way he said it made it sound like two people were retiring rather than being fired. As for the sportscaster I wonder if this could be considered wrongful termination if he had a clean record. This makes me wonder if he went off script leaving the persons in the booth blindsided or if it was placed in the rundown and a producer signed off on it?