Out & About

TexasTVNews

I'll say this about KSHB. I think they struggle because they produce an inferior news product. I don't think any of their recent hires are older than 35, and even then I think that's a stretch to say that. I think most of their recent hires have to be younger than 30. I mean I read on TVSpy the other day they just hired someone from Bakersfield, that's basically a 100 market jump. The talent this ND has hired are young and inexperienced for a mid-major market. And when you hire inexperienced, you generally get shoddier reporting. Like this. When they were doing OK it was mostly under a better management team both of who are no longer at the station.

And they're not hiring young because of looks. It's a side benefit but this station is doing it solely because of cost savings. Also I looked at their jobs page the other day. They STILL haven't found their replacement for Mark Clegg, no AND either, which I think has been vacant for over a year now. And they have some other major vacancies to fill. They are understaffed but sure seem to be taking their time.

It also doesn't help when your corporate office is dropping winning programming like Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy for crap like "The NOW". I know we all knock Sinclair but at least they show they have a lick of sense when it comes to running and programming TV stations. Sad to see the downfall of what was once one of the "gold standard" companies in journalism and winning TV stations. I am glad we don't have Scripps TV stations here (I already have to deal with a similarly subpar group, Gannett).

As soon as they seperated from the cash cow that was the cable channels it went downhill fast. Until they decide to win rather than just exist they won't be that good. KSHB actually illustrates several of the other stations... Slow to hire and develop product. Many of the corporate manager hires have been from Saint Louis, Tulsa etc... Not real huge markets to get management from... Mainly rookies too with no prior credentials to save even more money. WXYZ has been without a weekend Co-anchor for 2+ Years now with no hire yet... But it's been posted twice now...

It also doesn't help when your corporate office is dropping winning programming like Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy for crap like "The NOW". I know we all knock Sinclair but at least they show they have a lick of sense when it comes to running and programming TV stations. Sad to see the downfall of what was once one of the "gold standard" companies in journalism and winning TV stations. I am glad we don't have Scripps TV stations here (I already have to deal with a similarly subpar group, Gannett).

This move of taking Wheel and Jeopardy! off their stations seems to be biting them in the ass big time as most of the stations have now relegated Let's Ask America to early daytime slots and replaced it with the show that I love to hate, Right This Minute. Yeah, 4 people sitting at a table dissecting YouTube videos is real entertaining and a ratings winner! WCPO just did this move a month ago.

This move of taking Wheel and Jeopardy! off their stations seems to be biting them in the ass big time as most of the stations have now relegated Let's Ask America to early daytime slots and replaced it with the show that I love to hate, Right This Minute. Yeah, 4 people sitting at a table dissecting YouTube videos is real entertaining and a ratings winner! WCPO just did this move a month ago.

Scripps is part of the consortium that runs RTM (which also includes Raycom and Cox I believe), so this makes sense. Ironically, in the market where it is produced (Phoenix), Fox has the rights to it instead (it migrated in the Fox O&O group rights deal for the show).

I thought wheel and jeopardy! Had been going be from WCPO for a while now?

Here in Detroit the Noon news and RTM are a solid #1 across the board at Noon. It's actually the only slot outside of ABC shows (those all win) that dominate for them. Everything else is 3rd. That doesn't make RTM a better show or a good Wheel/Jeopardy replacement...

I thought wheel and jeopardy! Had been gone from WCPO for a while now?

Here in Detroit the Noon news and RTM are a solid #1 across the board at Noon. It's actually the only slot outside of ABC shows (those all win) that dominate for them. Everything else is 3rd. That doesn't make RTM a better show or a good Wheel/Jeopardy replacement...

KSHB is also adding news on KMCI at 7:00 a.m. beginning in April. KSHB will rearrange its weekend news lineup as well, starting weekend news at 6:00 a.m., moving Weekend Today to 7:00, then continuing local news at 9:00 in the morning.

In addition to expanding their Saturday 6pm to an hour. My biggest question is, why the mornings? KSHB's morning show rates abysmally the way it is, fighting with KCTV to not be last, so to expand their news and have a newscast at 7am on KMCI makes little sense. KMBC's extended morning news on KCWE rates terribly. WDAF is the only one that pulls in good numbers at that time.

In other Kansas City news, Karen Fuller of KCTV is gone.

I thought wheel and jeopardy! Had been going be from WCPO for a while now?

Reread jerseyfla's post again. They're referring to replacing LAA with RTM happening a month ago on WCPO.

What is going on in Albuquerque?

Now we have word of a woman who got so irate after hearing how her daughter was portrayed in a KOAT story that she threatened to blow the station up.

The daughter is an absolute gem:

Police said they contacted 58-year-old Petra Baca after she called KOAT-TV on Feb. 18 with threats against the station and the two Bosque Farm police officers who arrested her daughter, Valerie Montoya.

According to KOAT-TV, Montoya was found driving erratically and in possession of cocaine and a pipe. Police discovered she was driving a car stolen from an elderly veteran in Arizona who they say she conned by pretending to be his long-lost little sister. ... After Montoya bonded out of jail in New Mexico, she returned to Arizona where she was arrested for allegedly stealing another car, guns and $40,000, according to KOAT-TV.

WKRG is moving weekend anchor Avery Cotton to the morning show, while current anchor Devon Walsh will be anchoring a newly (re)-launched 9am show. WKRG had one until 2009 when staff cutbacks warranted its cancellation.

Based on some job postings...it looks like they are launching a weekend AM show including a 4th meteorologist/weathercaster.

Aside from WEAR doing an hour from 6-7 weekend mornings, no one else has expanded to the weekend AM in Mobile thus far...

I'll say this about KSHB. I think they struggle because they produce an inferior news product. I don't think any of their recent hires are older than 35, and even then I think that's a stretch to say that. I think most of their recent hires have to be younger than 30. I mean I read on TVSpy the other day they just hired someone from Bakersfield, that's basically a 100 market jump. The talent this ND has hired are young and inexperienced for a mid-major market. And when you hire inexperienced, you generally get shoddier reporting. Like this. When they were doing OK it was mostly under a better management team both of who are no longer at the station.

And they're not hiring young because of looks. It's a side benefit but this station is doing it solely because of cost savings. Also I looked at their jobs page the other day. They STILL haven't found their replacement for Mark Clegg, no AND either, which I think has been vacant for over a year now. And they have some other major vacancies to fill. They are understaffed but sure seem to be taking their time.

KSHB was actually winning the 5 and 6pm and was a solid second at 4pm before The NOW was implemented. Now they're stuck with it and there's nothing they can do. So KSHB HAS had success, and would have been able to sustain that success if it wasn't for, and I will forever attest this, the NOW. Going from first to last after the NOW started airing isn't a coincidence.

As for Mark Clegg, who the hell knows. I don't even think they know anymore at this point. The job positing is still up, so they're obviously still looking, but apparently haven't found what they want yet. Evidently it's not NOW host Justin Wilfon or else they would have just named him his replacement by now. He anchors the 6pm every night with Jadiann. On a fact checking note, Clegg left last July, so I don't think the opening has been open for over a year.

KSHB was actually winning the 5 and 6pm and was a solid second at 4pm before The NOW was implemented. Now they're stuck with it and there's nothing they can do. So KSHB HAS had success, and would have been able to sustain that success if it wasn't for, and I will forever attest this, the NOW. Going from first to last after the NOW started airing isn't a coincidence.

As for Mark Clegg, who the hell knows. I don't even think they know anymore at this point. The job positing is still up, so they're obviously still looking, but apparently haven't found what they want yet. Evidently it's not NOW host Justin Wilfon or else they would have just named him his replacement by now. He anchors the 6pm every night with Jadiann. On a fact checking note, Clegg left last July, so I don't think the opening has been open for over a year.

No I was talking about the Assistant News Director. I remember their old GM and ND left around the same time and then once they hired their current GM and ND the old AND left. I don't want to look up specifics but that's how I remember it. When was the current management hired anyways? I want to say early 2013 but can't remember.

Yeah I've seen clips of KSHB and saw Justin Wilfon on the 5 and 6 a month or two ago. I've noticed about The NOW is they like to keep news talent separate from the talent who appears on it.

When I have a day off next month I will check out KSHB again on their stream to see if they have changed from the last time I saw them about a year ago. Also I will check out WXYZ to see how their approach is. Scripps has been very cookie cutter and standardized about the talent they hire, the way the newscasts are stacked, the feel of them. If you've seen one station you've seen them all...

It's just sad they didn't retain Journal's management and leave the existing Scripps people to tend to the newspapers. They actually do a decent job with newspapers still. This comes from a frequent reader of the Caller-Times.

More WKRG news on the upcoming anchor shuffle....

Devon announced on her WKRG facebook page that today was her last morning show, and she will begin anchoring the new 9am show, and also for the 5pm as well. She will continue anchoring the noon show as she has done for the last 6 years.

Presumably, she will join Peter Albrecht on the 5pm show, while Mel Showers and Rose Ann Haven will continue to anchor at 6 and 10.

Since Avery Cotton anchored on the weekends, no word on who will be taking her place.

And a piece of trivia.....Avery is the daughter of Drexel Gilbert, who anchored across the street with Peter Albrecht at WPMI until they were both canned back in 2007.

Meg Alexander of KFOR/Channel 4 in OKC is out from the station; Meg anchor the 4, 5 & 6:30pm broadcast.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/meg-alexander-reportedly-out-at-kfor/142629

Ardyth “Ardy” R. Diercks is out at WATN as GM she sent a internal email to the staff on 2.25.2015. http://www.ftvlive.com/?offset=1424867053918 has the email on it site.

Kim Covington, former weekend and noon anchor, has left KPNX in Phoenix. On her Facebook page, she mentions that she is starting her own consulting firm.

Meg Coyle, weekend morning anchor, has left KING in Seattle for a job at Amazon, according to her Facebook page.

So I've been watching WOAI at 5pm all week and last week and I think they made an anchor change. Evy Ramos now coanchors at 5 with Delaine Mathieu. Previously it had been Mathieu and Randy Beamer. Beamer still appears at 6 and 10 with Ramos. Don't know why they made the change.

http://lagniappemobile.com/circulars-racialsocio-economic-issue/

WKRG will begin their 9am newscast on March 30th and will be a half hour show. Lagniappe also confirmed Devon Walsh will anchor at 9am, noon, and at 5pm with Peter Albrecht. Ashley Knight will replace Avery Cotton on the weekends, who took over Walsh's anchor slot on the AM show.

Station management also hinted at the possibility of expanding to other times. Could this mean additional news on WFNA?

Weekend AM news would be nice, as WEAR is the only station that does it for an hour on Saturday & Sunday....could Mobile/Pensacola be the largest market with such a minimal presence on the weekend?

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic