Message added by Weeters

This thread will soon become "Comings and Goings", a thread targeted at talent and staff arrivals and departures. Please consider starting new threads for anything that does not fit this criteria. 
Click here for more information regarding the sunsetting of "general" threads.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I worked with a news anchor who battled an alcohol addiction. It's not just about someone having too much fun and getting carried away, there sometimes are much deeper issues we don't know about. My c

Posted Images

As I mentioned in the No Emotion Box, TMJ4 in Milwaukee announced that the morning team of Vince Vitrano, Susan Kim, Brian Gotter, and TaTiana Cash will be pulling an "all nighter" following the Super Bowl, anchoring Live at 10 following the game and Live at Daybreak the next morning.

I've never heard of any other station doing this before, but it almost makes sense, considering Live at 10 probably won't start until 11:30-midnight, and Live at Daybreak starts a few hours later at 4:30am.

KMOV is doing the same thing tonight after the Grammys.

News Directors corner;

Julie Eisenmann leaves WJCL22/WTGS28 in Savannah for Assistant News Director at WXIA in Atlanta.

Dave Ciliberti leaves WTEN in Albany, NY for WCMH in Columbus, OH both are Media General stations.

Keith Conners has landed at WTNH in New Haven, CT having last worked at WTHR in Indy.

I think it's nothing other than overlap. KEVN operates its main signal on channel 7. Given the VHF operation, and the terrain in the region, it may simply be used to fill in some dark spots. KOTA is already doing that. They're operating on channel 2, with a translator on channel 18.

Well, now I am curious. Gray has reserved the call sign KIVN-LD for K23KK-D. The only sure thing is that it won't be CBS. They just renewed their agreement for KCLO. Seems like a lot of work to grab something like CW or My Network. Why not just put it on a subchannel like they just did in Casper for KCWY?

WISN has launched a new image campaign called "Where will 12 News take you tonight?". Basically highlights how they bring you all the big stories and events happening in Milwaukee. The main thing I found interesting is that there is zero use of Hearst's triangled look they usually use for everything; instead opting for a squared off blue, yellow, and black look.

Has anyone else noticed Hearst stations in other markets doing this?

Video can be seen on the homepage of wisn.com, there is no option to embed.

Yet another long-time WCNC personality is leaving. Ira Cronin, longtime weekend sports anchor, who as of late has been serving as the weekday morning anchor, is leaving for KOAA, where he will have the same job.

http://charlottemediascene.blogspot.com/2015/02/wcnc-morning-host-ira-cronin-leaving.html

That sounds quite silly in my mind, since that is a HUGE market downgrade for the same job...

The country's first black-owned TV station will be honored with a historical marker at its former studios.

The marker will be for WGPR-TV, which apparently also has a highly active historical society. WGPR-FM 107.5 also broadcast from the site until the Freemasons opted to LMA it out to Radio One in 2011.

As we should all know by now, that station was sold to CBS in 1994 and became WWJ-TV to match AM sister station Newsradio 950 WWJ.

KDVR had a bad meltdown this morning. The audio board failed before the morning show. They ran Antenna TV from 5:00 to 6:00 a.m. instead of news. The weather and traffic talent used hard-wire mics when the news began. This didn't affect KWGN's news at all.

That sounds quite silly in my mind, since that is a HUGE market downgrade for the same job...

Well if you watched WCNC, Ben Thompson was seen more frequently in the mornings and noon and he was a weekend anchor. So it seem to me that Ian contract was coming up and probably figured that his contract wasn't going to be renewed and got the hell out of dodge.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/columnists/barryhorn/20150213-hot-air-george-riba-the-man-behind-8000-stories-closes-book-on-37-year-wfaa-career.ece

Marty Haag, the iconic longtime news director at Channel 8: “If I was ever going to build a news department at another station, I would start with George Riba.”

After 42 years in Dallas-Fort Worth TV (37+ as a sports reporter (and fill-in anchor) at WFAA), George Riba is calling it a day this week. Tonight a retrospective will air, and Friday is Riba's last day. I knew he'd been at it a while, but not that long. Happy retirement, George.

According to Sophia Choi (WSB) Starting March 1st, GMA will be airing on Sunday mornings now from 8-9am on WSB, currently WSB shows a 4 hour block (7-11am) of local news on Sunday mornings.

That means there will be no local news at 8:30 a.m. on Sunday mornings in Atlanta, since FOX 5 still airs The Georgia Gang at that timeslot after Good Day Atlanta at 8:00 a.m. on Sundays.

If anybody is looking for work, try WEVV. The Evansville CBS station was bought by Bayou City Broadcasting which says it plans to launch its newscast somewhere

in the July and September time frame. The station has listed 16 different roles to fill the launch.

http://www.wevv.com/jobs/news-staff

Oh boy, this isn't good. Apparently a fight broke out at KOB between an anchor and a reporter right before yesterday's 6pm news:

According to insiders, a young reporter was being ‘counseled’ by ND Michelle Donaldson. "Whatever Donaldson said, wasn’t good enough for Joles and he added his own comments," said a source.

Longtime KOB Reporter Stuart Dyson tried to intervene and calm the situation down. It didn't work and word is that Joles got in Dyson's face and also the face of Photographer Joseph Lynch who jumped in to protect Dyson. Sources say punches were thrown.

WOW~ They were in fist a cuffs at Eyewitness News 4? The article goes on to say that the news director said Joles is having a hard time fitting into the this modern day broadcasting era. Does that means you think he'll be replace soon, or when his next contract cycle comes up?

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic