Out & About

TexasTVNews

Interesting. This still means that XETV is the only San Diego station without early evening news, I wonder when the Azcarragas (the family who runs XETV owner Grupo Televisa) will ever decide to debut a 5:00 or 6:00 p.m. newscast on that station or even a 4:00 p.m.

There were rumors a few years ago that XETV was going to launch a 6pm newscast, but nothing came to fruition. I believe that the former GM had mentioned his desire to add an early evening newscast but then he was canned. At this point, they're in a better position that they were when they first became a CW affiliate. I'm sure that they'll add one down the road when they're a bit more stable. They just added a co-anchor to the 10pm newscast last year and then there is the problem of constant staff turnover as well. Not to mention that they desperately need a new set...

According to KFMB main anchor Carlo Cecchetto on Twitter, reporter Steve Price has been promoted to weekend anchor alongside Marcella Lee. Price replaces Phil Blauer who was let go several months ago.

Big changes starting to take shape at WKBW with Scripps taking over.

A week ago, Cole Heath and Tiffany Lundberg were fired; now Mike Randall will move from mornings to weekends and do features two days a week for the station, while Andy Parker returns to the station to take his place. Parker was there from 1993-2000 but left after a conflict and joined WGRZ.

Interested to see if they poach another station for morning anchors or hire out of market.

Bruce is back on TV in Phoenix!

Bruce Haffner will return to channels 3 (and 5) beginning in October.

Which begs the question: what the heck happened when he left channel 3 earlier this year as the sale was pending?

At the time his contract with KTVK ended, the sale of 3TV was still in progress, so I believe it was a matter of not being able to offer his a new/extension to the contract until a new owner was in place. There has been a lot of speculation about what will happen when CBS-5 moves over to the 3TV building and what programs will stay or be chopped (same deal with the talent). Meredith must have seen the benefit that having Bruce available to cover other stories when the shared unit (aka Chopper 20) was on another assignment and would get twice the benefit as the video and reporting would be available to both 3 and 5.

At the time his contract with KTVK ended, the sale of 3TV was still in progress, so I believe it was a matter of not being able to offer his a new/extension to the contract until a new owner was in place. There has been a lot of speculation about what will happen when CBS-5 moves over to the 3TV building and what programs will stay or be chopped (same deal with the talent). Meredith must have seen the benefit that having Bruce available to cover other stories when the shared unit (aka Chopper 20) was on another assignment and would get twice the benefit as the video and reporting would be available to both 3 and 5.

The chopper share itself is 3, 5 and 12. I've been wondering for some time since the acquisition if 12 will break off either to join the 10/15 chopper share or to get its own. Keep in mind that in Phoenix a chopper share isn't just an economic move it's also a reminder of how having too many choppers led to four people's deaths.

TVSpy is getting around to the news I told you here first about two weeks ago:

WKRC Adds Anchor from Terre Haute

By Kevin Eck on August 13, 2014 3:09 PM

benter-wkrc-cropped.jpg

Sydney Benter is set to join Cincinnati CBS affiliate WKRC as an anchor and reporter, tomorrow.

This is a return to WKRC for Benter, who interned in the newsroom while working on her degree from the University of Cincinnati.

“When she was a student at UC and an intern in our newsroom, we were very impressed by her enthusiasm and work ethic,” WKRC news director Kirk Varner said in a statement.

Benter comes from WTWO-WAWV in Terre Haute, IN, where she started her career.

They did not say what slots she will be taking. She is definitely filling the anchor vacancy left by Kit Andrews but as for what time slots she's taking, I would assume at least the weekday 4, 4:30 and 5:30PM slots Andrews had. But if she's also going to be a reporter, then I don't think the noon newscast since she would probably report for the 6, 10 and 11. Also Sheila Gray can do the noon news. Or, they can be bumping somebody else entirely like Paula Toti to the weekday slots vacated by Andrews and then Benter will be a weekend anchor/weekday reporter. In any case I guess they will make a announcement tomorrow. Benter herself has been quiet on social media so I don't have confirmation. Also, I don't think Kirk Varner ever issued his statement publicly because I did a google search and TVSpy's story was the only one that came up. I'm surprised the Cincinnati Enquirer TV writer has not picked up this story yet but I assume he will tomorrow.

As for some of the comments on that story, I usually avoid TVSpy comments like the plague but these are worth noting:

SuspiciousHires • 5 hours ago

Really Kirk? How low are the standards in Cincy these days that you're fishing the pond in Terre Haute for recent college grads? Smacks of a crush to me. Either that, or you're just an awful judge of talent. Either way, it's a joke-- which is what guys like you have made of TV News. "She was a great intern, so she's ready for big market reporting." Puleeeeeze.

This dude must not follow TV news regularly. It's not like Alex Holley where she's going from Myrtle Beach to Philadelphia as a second job (working at KOMU doesn't count). These kinds of jumps are pretty common in TV news. Also, I believe she's a Cincinnati native and it wouldn't surprise me if one of her career goals was to work in her hometown. Also as an intern she had to have some sort of inside connection. Also she's a great anchor, definitely doesn't stumble on her words as much as some people I've seen even here in DMA 36.

Though if we want to talk about hiring standards I think in TV news as a whole they have definitely sunk, no doubt about that any day. Experience over inexperience would be how I see it. However it's about cost these days and if you can get cheap talent, that's a plus.

Chuckee Knowlton • 2 hours ago

Intern to anchor in one easy move! I love it. So did the news director I'll bet.

It's not like she's going from intern to anchor at the same station. She was WTWO for three years, she has experience. Also the news director has many years of experience and WKRC is number one in the market otherwise he wouldn't have a job now.

Also, I should note Kit Andrews was probably forced out in favor of Benter, who has got to be much cheaper. I noticed looking at Andrews' correspondence with the Enquirer TV writer and her unwillingness to talk, that it definitely wasn't her decision and Sinclair probably either said, take a pay cut or get out, and she chose the latter. Andrews' good bye was also low key and they didn't roll out the red carpet for her. Something has definitely been going on here. But their new hire has market familiarity because the Enquirer did a story on her a couple years ago because WTWO was piped in as substitution for WLWT due to retrans disputes with Time Warner. That's a bonus and she'll fit right in.

CincyRN • 32 minutes ago

Just curious, but where do you expect new talent to come from? A thought: it would be HIGHLY unlikely for an anchor/reporter to downsize from a larger market to Cincinnati (a medium sized market at best.) If you had read the above story closer you would also note that she was an intern at WKRC prior to her first anchor job in Terre Haute.

Justin • 3 hours ago

Leave the girl alone. She's just trying to progress her career like anyone else. Its not like she went from Terre Haute to Chicago or New York, its Cincinnati for gods sake!

I agree with these comments, they definitely sum themselves up but I think they're worth sharing.

Also, it took WHDH two years to fill the vacancy on their weather team left by Dylan Dreyer after she left for NBC but today, WHDH hired a new weekend weathercaster. This news I'm regurgitating from NewEnglandONE:

Bri Eggers Joining WHDH as Weekend Evening Meteorologist

11 August 2014 Posted by Derrick Santos

WHDH news director Linda Miele has announced that Bri Eggers will be joining the station as a weekend evening meteorologist in an internal e-mail sent to staff.

"Bri’s been forecasting in her home state of Idaho at the ABC affiliate" Miele said, "She is very excited to come to Boston and take on Nor’easters and snowstorms."

A source at the station says Chris Lambert will move to weekend mornings, instead of being the sole meteorologist on weekend mornings and evenings.

Bri joins WHDH from KIVI-TV channel 6 in Boise, ID where she is currently the morning forcaster for "Good Morning Idaho."

Bri is a 2008 graduate of San Diego State University where she studied theatre arts. During her college career, Bri traveled all over Europe, including a summer program at Oxford University, a

study abroad program in Holland, and even a stint working at EPCOT in Disney World, Orlando.

According to her bio page at kivitv.com, "Some think of forecasters as just "weather guessers," but Bri actually craves the science of the forecast. She is always in search of why things are the way they are. So, Bri is currently enrolled in the Certified Broadcast Meteorology program from Mississippi State University, and feels lucky to be able to apply her education to her work."

Bri starts at 7 News in October.

This is a bad hire because she is not an actual meteorologist, and they really should have waited until she is a real meteorologist before making the hire. Also, she's jumping from Boise to Boston. Well, they must have gotten her for dirt cheap.

Having said that, she's not a bad forecaster because I saw clips on YouTube and I think she has a good on-air presence. I just don't think she's ready for DMA7 yet. But I'm not the ND so of course my opinion doesn't count. But whatever...

This is a bad hire because she is not an actual meteorologist, and they really should have waited until she is a real meteorologist before making the hire. Also, she's jumping from Boise to Boston. Well, they must have gotten her for dirt cheap.

Having said that, she's not a bad forecaster because I saw clips on YouTube and I think she has a good on-air presence. I just don't think she's ready for DMA7 yet. But I'm not the ND so of course my opinion doesn't count. But whatever...

Is she pretty? KSHB's most recent weather hire wasn't an actual meteorologist, but boy was she pretty. It oddly seemed to be pretty common knowledge that she wasn't a true met too.

Is she pretty? KSHB's most recent weather hire wasn't an actual meteorologist, but boy was she pretty. It oddly seemed to be pretty common knowledge that she wasn't a true met too.

So it doesn't matter what her knowledge of the weather is as long as she's pretty... :rolleyes:

I understand it's TV and all but when it comes to the weather I'd rather get my information from a degreed meteorologist who loves their craft. Being pretty is secondary to that. But being pretty is probably what got her hired, yes. Same with KSHB's old wx caster.

The picture they used on Twitter was not a good one. Here's a better one (and I should have included one in the original post but kinda forgot about it):

10552406_806542239378915_8788730470577528720_n.jpg

I guess she's "pretty" if you want to call it that, but by no means would I get my weather from anybody based solely on their looks. Though since she is a meteorology student I guess she does have an interest in it. There's some reporters that have to do the weather every now and then and they have no interest in weather and you can generally tell by how they do the weather and whether they try to avoid any complex weather terms, or how they do a forecast (such as giving everyday a high of 80 and a low of 62 and yes I've seen weather anchors do that) or they'll go to weather.com and just copy/paste the forecast.

But hey, as long as they're pretty...

Remember a few weeks ago when I once said that the "breaking news/fill-in anchor" would take the spot of the the departing morning show anchor?

Longtime anchor of WVEC's morning show Daybreak is leaving the show after 16 years:

https://www.facebook.com/WVECLaSalleBlanks/posts/756558484405278

He isn't leaving the station, but will be leaving the broadcast next Wednesday, August 6. No word yet on what he will be doing (new 4pm newscast maybe once final Katie episode airs?), or who will replace him in the anchor chair, though it's likely that Sandra Parker, Daybreak's current breaking news and fill-in anchor will take his spot.

Yeah neither do I.

Anyway, it looks like Gannett's Hampton Roads station will be looking outside the station to fill his shoes. They've recently advertised that their searching for a morning show anchor. That ACTUALLY surprises me, because Sandra Parker, has been with the station since 1990, and has been bumped around quite a lot in the last five years or so.

Also, it may appear that the station's GM, Brad Ramsey is on his way out as well -- his job is also being advertised as open.

In an unexpected move, former WMC meteorologist John Bryant has joined WATN's weather team.

On a related note, WAAY chief meteorologist Spencer Denton is leaving the station to fill the role that John Bryant vacated at WMC. His last day at WAAY will be August 22.

Bryant hasn't been at WMC for months, so I'm guessing his non-compete clause was a short one with this move, and comes at the right time for WATN with both Lauren Raymer and Joy Lambert expected to go on maternity leave in the coming weeks.

I thought Bailey Melton was Bryant's replacement though. Does that mean Melton is gone too, or is WMC just adding another meteorologist to the four they already have?

Bryant hasn't been at WMC for months, so I'm guessing his non-compete clause was a short one with this move, and comes at the right time for WATN with both Lauren Raymer and Joy Lambert expected to go on maternity leave in the coming weeks.

I thought Bailey Melton was Bryant's replacement though. Does that mean Melton is gone too, or is WMC just adding another meteorologist to the four they already have?

I believe Bailey Melton's role was mainly as a substitute when needed (which was pretty regularly in Bryant's absence) and not as a permanent replacement, as he has a job outside broadcasting in pharmacy. His twitter bio also says (https://twitter.com/BaileyWMC5) "Part of the WMC Action News 5 Storm Tracking Team when needed" I suspect he'll remain in that role after Denton's arrivial, however.

Outside the US I notice degreed meteorologists are rare in local news...

It depends on the country. In Europe, some countries use degreed meteorologists (even for local news in some cases), while others do not. In a few countriess, degreed meteorologists are used by public broadcasters, while their commercial counterparts prefer "eye candy."

Heck, in Italy, weather forecasts are routinely presented by Air Force meteorologists -- in uniform:

Kacie McDonnell is leaving WTXF in Philadelphia for KSHB in Kansas City. She's also girlfriend to Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Aaron Murray.

I tell you what, never I have seen just pure hatred and rudeness directed at a personality for leaving a station. The comments towards and about her are atrocious. They're along the lines of "why would you ever want to live/work in Kansas City?" "some people spend their whole careers trying to reach a market of this size and you're choosing to leave it to go work in a small market like Kansas City," "you should have had a ring on it before you ever decided to move." What makes it odder is that her boyfriend Murray might not even make the roster...

Edit: WTXF in Philly and WFXT in Boston are way too similar. Originally said Boston.

Kacie McDonnell is leaving WTXF in Philadelphia for KSHB in Kansas City. She's also girlfriend to Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Aaron Murray.

I tell you what, never I have seen just pure hatred and rudeness directed at a personality for leaving a station. The comments towards and about her are atrocious. They're along the lines of "why would you ever want to live/work in Kansas City?" "some people spend their whole careers trying to reach a market of this size and you're choosing to leave it to go work in a small market like Kansas City," "you should have had a ring on it before you ever decided to move." What makes it odder is that her boyfriend Murray might not even make the roster...

Fixed it for you. WFXT is in Boston. Nonetheless, what do you expect from certain people in the city of "Brotherly Love" when it's an oxymoron when they don't show their love back, after a person spent their time there before leaving, showing gratitude to the viewers. It's one thing to love your city, it's another when their attitude as such make that decision made by those like Mcdonnell easier at the end of the day.

P.S. As stated in the article, her boyfriend Aaron's brother Josh recently appeared on "The Bachelorette" 'winning' the heart of now fiancee Andi Dorfman in the finale.

Fixed it for you. WFXT is in Boston. Nonetheless, what do you expect from certain people in the city of "Brotherly Love" when it's an oxymoron when they don't show their love back, after a person spent their time there before leaving, showing gratitude to the viewers. It's one thing to love your city, it's another when their attitude as such make that decision made by those like Mcdonnell easier at the end of the day.

P.S. As stated in the article, her boyfriend Aaron's brother Josh recently appeared on "The Bachelorette" 'winning' the heart of now fiancee Andi Dorfman in the finale.

No...it's WTXF.