Out & About

TexasTVNews

I've been wondering: Do any of your ABC O&O stations not have morning traffic anchors, consumer reporters, and/or investigative reporters? Might sound like an odd question, but KTRK-TV doesn't have any of them.

Also, do any of your stations routinely skip the sports segment on evening broadcasts that are supposed to have them? KTRK does that all time now, and in its place the station just reairs a random piece that air on earlier Eyewitness News broadcast. The Eyewitness Sports team is the smallest it has ever been with a just a sports director, sports producer, and a part-time sports and news anchor/reporter. You'd think that a station would fill all these 'open' positions (though they don't want to hire anyone but an investigative reporter), before hiring a 6th meteorologist. 

On 6/14/2023 at 10:33 AM, 13 Eyewitness News said:

I've been wondering: Do any of your ABC O&O stations not have morning traffic anchors, consumer reporters, and/or investigative reporters? Might sound like an odd question, but KTRK-TV doesn't have any of them.

Also, do any of your stations routinely skip the sports segment on evening broadcasts that are supposed to have them? KTRK does that all time now, and in its place the station just reairs a random piece that air on earlier Eyewitness News broadcast. The Eyewitness Sports team is the smallest it has ever been with a just a sports director, sports producer, and a part-time sports and news anchor/reporter. You'd think that a station would fill all these 'open' positions (though they don't want to hire anyone but an investigative reporter), before hiring a 6th meteorologist. 

KGO is fully staffed

1 morning traffic anchor Jobina Fortson who also does LIVE Desk updates since Alexis Smith left for Seattle years back.

7 On Your Side consumer Michael Finney reporter during the 4,5 and 6pm shows

3 investigative reporters. 1 full time (Dan Noyes)  and 2 (Stephanie Sierra /Melanie Woodrow) that report in the field when not doing investigative reports

3 sports crew. (used to be 4) 2 on air (Larry Biel  and Chris Alvarez) 3rd one (Casey Pratt) is a senior sports producer and will fill in from time to time

5 weatherperson team. (Used to be 6, recently left to KSHB) the 5th one (Frances Dinglasan) is the back up when needed

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SFTV said:

KGO is fully staffed

1 morning traffic anchor Jobina Fortson who also does LIVE Desk updates since Alexis Smith left for Seattle years back.

7 On Your Side consumer Michael Finney reporter during the 4,5 and 6pm shows

3 investigative reporters. 1 full time (Dan Noyes)  and 2 (Stephanie Sierra /Melanie Woodrow) that report in the field when not doing investigative reports

3 sports crew. (used to be 4) 2 on air (Larry Biel  and Chris Alvarez) 3rd one (Casey Pratt) is a senior sports producer and will fill in from time to time

5 weatherperson team. (Used to be 6, recently left to KSHB) the 5th one (Frances Dinglasan) is the back up when needed

Thanks for the response. Sounds like KGO has better management than KTRK.

That's the way it used to be at KTRK Channel 13 for years, expect we only had two investigate reporters (13 Undercover's Wayne Dolcefino and 13 Investigates, formerly branded In Focus, reporter Ted Oberg). The station pushed Wayne out more than 10 years ago, and decided to eliminate 13 Undercover a few years after that after two separate replacements only lasted a few months each. Ted Oberg left for DC in October 2022, and they still don't have a replacement for him. Action 13 consumer reporter Jeff Ehling is now a weekend morning anchor, and the station rarely helps anyone anymore. They only recently brought back the 'Action 13' name, but they don't have a dedicated consumer reporter. Why is KTRK doing this? Oddly enough, after letting Eyewitness Sports anchor Bob Slovak go in 2020, they hired him back last year for KTRK's "Programming/Special Projects department as the team's Premium Content Multi-Skilled Reporter." I'd much rather have him back for a much simpler title -- Eyewitness Sports Anchor. 

One more question, does KGO ever re-air packages that aired a month or two ago, or even a year or two ago and act like it's something new? 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 10:33 AM, 13 Eyewitness News said:

KABC Los Angeles

-Morning Traffic Anchor Brianna Ruffalo also does 11am weather. Also Scott Reiff reports from Air 7.

-Dedicated automotive reporter and health reporter. No consumer unit, these stories are usually fronted by a GA reporter.

-I have seen a sports full screen with scores on the 11pm if no talent is available. Rob Fukuzaki is the long time sports director. Curt Sandoval handles weekends.

-Weather is stacked: Legendary Dallas Raines, Leslie Lopez, Tony Cabrera, Shayla Girardin, and Alex Cheney

-Fun Fact: Celebrity chef Bobby Flay's daughter is a community journalist for ABC7, Sophie Flay.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FiveNews said:

KABC Los Angeles

-Weather is stacked: Legendary Dallas Raines, Leslie Lopez, Tony Cabrera, Shayla Girardin, and Alex Cheney

it’s interesting that Shayla has been filling in for Lisa Argen on weekend mornings the last 2 weeks at KGO. 

Legendary Spencer Christian was doing weather from home a few weeks ago. Must be under the weather.

Frances Dinglasan was filling in for Spencer last week and this weekend.

Drew Tuma pulled overtime the other day doing all newscasts except 11pm which looked taped and still worked Friday morning. I guess they couldn’t get Lisa. Spencer or Frances since Sandyha was out.

Side note: KPIX. We only have 3 person weather team and we’re still surviving 🤣

11 hours ago, 13 Eyewitness News said:

Thanks for the response. Sounds like KGO has better management than KTRK.

One more question, does KGO ever re-air packages that aired a month or two ago, or even a year or two ago and act like it's something new?

Not that I’m aware of….

Edited by SFTV
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, SFTV said:

Not that I’m aware of….

KTRK started reairing a few old stories in the past few months. I think the station believes that people can't remember. 

On 6/18/2023 at 4:56 PM, FiveNews said:

KABC Los Angeles

-Morning Traffic Anchor Brianna Ruffalo also does 11am weather. Also Scott Reiff reports from Air 7.

-Dedicated automotive reporter and health reporter. No consumer unit, these stories are usually fronted by a GA reporter.

-I have seen a sports full screen with scores on the 11pm if no talent is available. Rob Fukuzaki is the long time sports director. Curt Sandoval handles weekends.

-Fun Fact: Celebrity chef Bobby Flay's daughter is a community journalist for ABC7, Sophie Flay.

KTRK used to have a HealthCheck reporter, but after she retired, the station got rid of HealthCheck. They also used to have a "community journalist" and he left as well, but he wasn't related to Bobby Flay! We do have a SkyEye-13 reporter in the morning, but she doesn't actually work for Channel 13. She works for Helicopters Inc, which owns the chopper.

On 6/18/2023 at 8:12 PM, 24994J said:

KTRK isn't using their talent resources particularly well. We get it

Well, now I can see that. I was assuming that other O&O stations also slashed key positions, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

On 6/19/2023 at 12:12 PM, MD TV said:

Former KSTP reporter Crystal Bui released a tell-all book that doesn't put the station in a flattering light:

https://www.startribune.com/former-kstp-tv-reporter-accuses-station-of-sexism-and-unsafe-practices/600283682/?refresh=true

Kind of been that way for many decades nothing new here at 3415 University Ave. A revolving door no doubt at the legacy station.

Hema Mullur out at CBS Austin. Next Stop- Law School.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2023/6/19/sinclair-anchor-gone-in-austin

Really sad news out of Des Moines as of yesterday:

Separate article written about it here: Des Moines meteorologist leaving KCCI after death threat, PTSD

I remember watching Chris's climate change coverage when he was in Boston and thought about how much more local weather these days could actually use his type of coverage -- at the very least, more stations in the biggest markets could do the bare minimum. Alas, it's very depressing to see the hate take its toll and accomplish what it set out to do. Wishing him well.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/20/2023 at 10:12 PM, Breaking News said:

Kind of been that way for many decades nothing new here at 3415 University Ave. A revolving door no doubt at the legacy station.

Hema Mullur out at CBS Austin. Next Stop- Law School.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2023/6/19/sinclair-anchor-gone-in-austin

I like that site. Never really perused it before. It seemslike they don't have a search engine; you just need to click the "next" link over and over.

I wonder what the full story is with Mullur.

51 minutes ago, Payton39 said:

It seems like they don't have a search engine; you just need to click the "next" link over and over.

As much as Scott Jones (FTV Live) likes to call out the regression of modern-day broadcast journalism, the man fails at modern blog/website creation and simple editing of stories.  ChatGPT could write better and more clearly than he does.  He also thinks an email newsletter is revolutionary…in 2023. 🙄

But, I will say, good for him for making a living (for 20+ years) with that site! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ttvn2000 said:

As much as Scott Jones (FTV Live) likes to call out the regression of modern-day broadcast journalism, the man fails at modern blog/website creation and simple editing of stories.  ChatGPT could write better and more clearly than he does.  He also thinks an email newsletter is revolutionary…in 2023. 🙄

But, I will say, good for him for making a living (for 20+ years) with that site! 

He actually uses an AI program on some articles. They're marked with an asterisk.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 11:31 AM, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

Former Days of our Lives actor Kyle Lowder has signed on with Reno's KTVN as their new morning co-anchor.  He begins July 1.

What is up with these soap actors getting jobs as news anchors? First Charles Divins (Chad on "Passions") gets a job anchoring mornings at WDSU, and later Spectrum News 1 Texas, and now this. 

Lowder is also part of the revolving door of the many Rick Forresters of "The Bold and the Beautiful".

Edited by TresGriffin
(Edited to reflect CD's job change)

37 minutes ago, TresGriffin said:

What is up with these soap actors getting jobs as news anchors? First Charles Divins (Chad on "Passions") gets a job anchoring mornings at WDSU and now this. 

Lowder is also part of the revolving door of the many Rick Forresters of "The Bold and the Beautiful".

Divins is now at Spectrum News 1 Texas.

• Thanks 2