Out & About

TexasTVNews

11 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

So it’ll be Tony & Jumi in AM, Leon & Eun at 4&6, and Jim & Shawn at 5&11? Surprised they don’t just rotate anchors for the 11am and keep Erika on weekends. 

Jummy & Melissa Mollett 4-5a

Jummy & Tony 5-7a

Erika 11a

Eun & Leon 4p

Shawn & Leon 5p

Eun & Jim 6p

Shawn & Jim 11p

KPRC 2 traffic reporter Anavid Reyes will depart the station in April:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpdcRAHpkJb/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Also in April, Scripps' ABC station KRHD in Bryan/College Station will switch from channel 40 to channel 15:

https://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2023/03/15-abc-debuts-on-krhd-bcs-in-april.html

On 3/3/2023 at 2:06 PM, JoseRM303 said:

Changes coming to WRC (NBC O&O) in Washington, DC:

https://www.adweek.com/tvspy/tony-perkins-to-join-wrc-in-washington-d-c-pat-lawson-muse-to-retire/247286/

- Tony Perkins to join as morning co-anchor 

- Pat Lawson-Muse to retire 

- Eun Yang moves to co-anchoring the 4 & 6 pm newscasts 

Today was Eun's last day doing mornings:

And this is Pat's last week.

On 2/15/2018 at 3:41 PM, NWA_TV_guy said:

And the new facility is literally down the street from down the current Fayetteville studio in the Northwest Arkansas Mall.

When Hearst moved into the Rogers facility they tried continuing broadcasting from Fort Smith and Rogers (once they moved out of the Fayetteville space), but that did not last long. I figure Tribune will phase out newscasts from Fort Smith once the new facility is complete and staff can get moved to the area.

And it appears you were right. Correct me if I’m wrong, butI don’t think KFSM has any bureau in Ft. Smith anymore, as they have appeared to have completely moved out of the old Carnegie library building. Although Wikipedia says there’s still a newsroom there, Wikipedia isn’t always reliable. They say there’s also bureaus in Ft. Smith for KNWA/KFTA as well but they clearly left the old studios on Kelly Hwy a long time ago as it’s now some other business. There’s no address for KNWA/KFTA listed for the River Valley area other than a possible newsroom for KFTA in Van Buren. Quite frankly I don’t know why they keep the call letters KFSM or why the station is still licensed to Fort Smith? I don’t understand why KHOG is still a satellite station of KHBS, or why the name of the TV market says Ft. Smith first when Fayetteville outgrew Ft. Smith to become the state’s second largest city awhile back. The population of the NWA metro (population 560,709 as of 2021) has also long outgrown Ft. Smith’s metro (which is still below 300k). Fayetteville is on the verge of becoming the second city in the state to have a 100k population. The NWA metro now comes in second to Little Rock in practically everything but media. NWA has the only other minor league baseball team in the state, the only other children’s hospital campus, a national airport, etc.. It has the U of A Main campus, the Razorbacks, its the home to three Fortune 500 companies. I’m not bashing Ft. Smith. It’s a nice city, but it’s not NWA by a long shot. When I first moved to NWA in 1995, Ft. Smith was larger in both city and metro, and I understood why Ft. Smith had the upper hand in the media market, but times have greatly changed in nearly 30 years. Ft. Smith either needs to become its own market, or Ft. Smith should be made second. 

• Confused 2

Considering WLBT's Civil Rights Era history of being unapologetically racist to the point of FCC license revocation threats and an entire housecleaning of management...no sympathy for Barbie here. If this is some other station and an outlier incident, a warning would be fine, but she should know both her station's turbulent history and her own HR issues of the past.

• Like 10

On 3/23/2023 at 5:26 PM, bjoh249 said:

And it appears you were right. Correct me if I’m wrong, butI don’t think KFSM has any bureau in Ft. Smith anymore, as they have appeared to have completely moved out of the old Carnegie library building. Although Wikipedia says there’s still a newsroom there, Wikipedia isn’t always reliable. They say there’s also bureaus in Ft. Smith for KNWA/KFTA as well but they clearly left the old studios on Kelly Hwy a long time ago as it’s now some other business. There’s no address for KNWA/KFTA listed for the River Valley area other than a possible newsroom for KFTA in Van Buren. Quite frankly I don’t know why they keep the call letters KFSM or why the station is still licensed to Fort Smith? I don’t understand why KHOG is still a satellite station of KHBS, or why the name of the TV market says Ft. Smith first when Fayetteville outgrew Ft. Smith to become the state’s second largest city awhile back. The population of the NWA metro (population 560,709 as of 2021) has also long outgrown Ft. Smith’s metro (which is still below 300k). Fayetteville is on the verge of becoming the second city in the state to have a 100k population. The NWA metro now comes in second to Little Rock in practically everything but media. NWA has the only other minor league baseball team in the state, the only other children’s hospital campus, a national airport, etc.. It has the U of A Main campus, the Razorbacks, its the home to three Fortune 500 companies. I’m not bashing Ft. Smith. It’s a nice city, but it’s not NWA by a long shot. When I first moved to NWA in 1995, Ft. Smith was larger in both city and metro, and I understood why Ft. Smith had the upper hand in the media market, but times have greatly changed in nearly 30 years. Ft. Smith either needs to become its own market, or Ft. Smith should be made second. 

1) Why would they change their calls just because the studios aren't physically in Fort Smith? They are licensed to Fort Smith because the FCC assigned them that city of license, and they cover that city. That is all that matters.

2) San Jose is has a bigger population than San Francisco, yet SF is listed first. Virginia Beach has a bigger population than Norfolk, yet Norfolk is listed first. Scranton has a bigger population than Wilkes-Barre, yet Wilkes-Barre is listed first. It's not a big deal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, cg41386 said:

1) Why would they change their calls just because the studios aren't physically in Fort Smith? They are licensed to Fort Smith because the FCC assigned them that city of license, and they cover that city. That is all that matters.

2) San Jose is has a bigger population than San Francisco, yet SF is listed first. Virginia Beach has a bigger population than Norfolk, yet Norfolk is listed first. Scranton has a bigger population than Wilkes-Barre, yet Wilkes-Barre is listed first. It's not a big deal.

Well the difference is the cities you mentioned are part of the same metro. Fort Smith and NWA are two different metros. 

• Confused 1

On 3/21/2023 at 11:44 AM, TheRob said:

SI, itself a dying presence, writes about the slow death of the local sports anchor.

https://www.si.com/media/2023/03/21/death-of-the-local-sports-anchor-daily-cover

In Charlotte the leading news stations WBTV and WSOC no longer have a regular sports segment on their newscasts. On WSOC the sports anchor Phi Orban is a news anchor on the weekends and only covers the NFL Panthers and NBA Hornets as warranted, with no daily sports segment. Back in the day, these stations had strong sports anchors Jim Thacker, Paul Cameron, Delano Little and Harold Johnson. WCNC and WJZY now have the most sports coverage.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tylerSC said:

In Charlotte the leading news stations WBTV and WSOC no longer have a regular sports segment on their newscasts. On WSOC the sports anchor Phi Orban is a news anchor on the weekends and only covers the NFL Panthers and NBA Hornets as warranted, with no daily sports segment. Back in the day, these stations had strong sports anchors Jim Thacker, Paul Cameron, Delano Little and Harold Johnson. WCNC and WJZY now have the most sports coverage.

So it’s not just WBTV. For a while after Gray bought Raycom WBTV only had Nate Wimberly. About the time Delano retired Ashley Strohlein went to WCNC to replace Kelsey Riggs who went to ACCN/ESPN. They now also have Cam Gaskins but isn’t the same as when Paul and Delano was there, and Jim Thacker before Paul but that was before my time. I’m rooting for CBS to give 10-11pm to the affiliates so WBTV can give Football Friday Night a real show again (at least 30 minutes on actual TV) and not 20 minutes during the 11pm news and 15 minutes online. It is a far cry from when it was an hour. CBS made them run The Late Show in pattern every night but I’m not so sure part of it isn’t Gray too. Delano is now with Bahakel Sports.

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Like 1