Out & About

TexasTVNews

1 hour ago, ttvn2000 said:

One day after Baracy’s departure, Jerry Martz (formerly of WSYX) has been named Chief Meteorologist at WBNS.

https://www.10tv.com/mobile/article/weather/jerry-martz-10tv-wbns-welcomes-new-chief-meteorologist-columbus-ohio/530-df9eb8c0-0131-441b-b61b-7f75ecb75fa2

That was quick. Makes me wonder if she got whacked. I wonder if she just sucked at meteorology, which shouldn't really matter since, after all, it's only tv. It's not like these guys are forecasting to plan for troop invasions or anything like that.

During his last gig, I remember him being a nice enough guy, but he didn't have any kind of an "it" factor. Just another boring everyman TV personality. He should fit in very well over there.

I hope he doesn't like racy pictures of prepubescents. (That was a joke by the way.)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

That was quick. Makes me wonder if she got whacked. I wonder if she just sucked at meteorology, which shouldn't really matter since, after all, it's only tv. It's not like these guys are forecasting to plan for troop invasions or anything like that.

During his last gig, I remember him being a nice enough guy, but he didn't have any kind of an "it" factor. Just another boring everyman TV personality. He should fit in very well over there.

I hope he doesn't like racy pictures of prepubescents. (That was a joke by the way.)

I’m not sure. It will depend on how “exciting” her opportunity is once she reveals it.  I wasn’t really a Baracy fan - she fell into the position after a series of tragic and unfortunate events. 

The overall reaction on Facebook seems mixed, with folks wanting Ross Caruso promoted.  

Really though, Martz is a solid addition. It reunites him with Yolanda Harris and brings a bit more…gravitas to a 10TV that sorely sorely needs it.   Now if they can persuade Jeff Hogan to come back and ditch Andrew Kinsey… #WishfulThinking  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

Really though, Martz is a solid addition. It reunites him with Yolanda Harris and brings a bit more…gravitas to a 10TV that sorely sorely needs it.   Now if they can persuade Jeff Hogan to come back and ditch Andrew Kinsey… #WishfulThinking  

I wonder if Yolanda had anything to do with recruiting him. I guess he was still living in Powell, according to LinkedIn.

That Andrew kid has some potential. Good voice, good presentation skills, he just seems out of place there. He would be more at home at a place like Channel 6. Channel 10 is just too serious for someone like him. I also never like when they pair a young guy with an old woman. It just doesn't flow well for some reason.

10 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

I wonder if Yolanda had anything to do with recruiting him. I guess he was still living in Powell, according to LinkedIn.

That Andrew kid has some potential. Good voice, good presentation skills, he just seems out of place there. He would be more at home at a place like Channel 6. Channel 10 is just too serious for someone like him. I also never like when they pair a young guy with an old woman. It just doesn't flow well for some reason.

That actually makes sense.  In an alternate reality where Dispatch owned 10TV, they would’ve snagged Bill Kelly from WJLA and he’d be coming back to Columbus instead of going to KYW.  (The recycling and trading of talent across stations is prevalent in Columbus.)

I actually much preferred Andrew Kinsey with Melissa Andrews when they were on WTOL mornings.  It helps that they were legitimately friends off-camera. 

But, the “older lady younger guy” trend is big in Ohio with Paula Toti/Kyle Inskeep at WKRC, Colleen Marshall/Kerry Charles at WCMH and Kinsey/Harris at ‘BNS.

10 minutes ago, ttvn2000 said:

That actually makes sense.  In an alternate reality where Dispatch owned 10TV, they would’ve snagged Bill Kelly from WJLA and he’d be coming back to Columbus instead of going to KYW.  (The recycling and trading of talent across stations is prevalent in Columbus.)

I actually much preferred Andrew Kinsey with Melissa Andrews when they were on WTOL mornings.  It helps that they were legitimately friends off-camera. 

But, the “older lady younger guy” trend is big in Ohio with Paula Toti/Kyle Inskeep at WKRC, Colleen Marshall/Kerry Charles at WCMH and Kinsey/Harris at ‘BNS.

It can also be bad when it's the other way around. Like in these small markets where they have some ancient old man and some wet behind the ears 20 year old (who looks like she should be getting him coffee) at the anchor desk. Up to 20 years difference is not bad though when the man is older.

The same can't be said when the woman is older. It's just kind of creepy for some reason. It gives off either a Mrs. Robinson vibe, or like your mother is leading you by the nose. Anything more than 10 years difference when the woman is older, just doesn't seem right to me. I'm not saying get rid of older women, just find somebody more age appropriate to pair them with.

• Like 1

The tables have turned in Columbus for sure.  Once upon a time, talent would move "up" to 10TV, like when Chris Bradley made the jump years ago.   Nowadays, (even before Tegna) you have ex-WSYX talent resurfacing at 10TV.  The turning point seemed to be when Kurt Ludlow left 10TV, and eventually found his way to ABC6 and FOX 28.  Even Jym Ganahal "retiring" from WCMH only to resurface at WSYX because he was "bored".

WSYX has finally built themselves as the leader of Columbus TV, bolstered by their treatment by Sinclair as their "cash cow", and having control of 3 stations in the market.  WCMH suffered greatly under Media General (and Nexstar is trying to make something of them) while 10TV has slowly declined and was eventually torpedoed by Tegna.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

The tables have turned in Columbus for sure.  Once upon a time, talent would move "up" to 10TV, like when Chris Bradley made the jump years ago.   Nowadays, (even before Tegna) you have ex-WSYX talent resurfacing at 10TV.  The turning point seemed to be when Kurt Ludlow left 10TV, and eventually found his way to ABC6 and FOX 28.  Even Jym Ganahal "retiring" from WCMH only to resurface at WSYX because he was "bored".

WSYX has finally built themselves as the leader of Columbus TV, bolstered by their treatment by Sinclair as their "cash cow", and having control of 3 stations in the market.  WCMH suffered greatly under Media General (and Nexstar is trying to make something of them) while 10TV has slowly declined and was eventually torpedoed by Tegna.

Without Columbus, Sinclair wouldn't be what it is. Back in the old days they put nothing into WTTE and it was still like a cash machine for them. But when they merged with River City is when things really took off.

What I can't understand is when big corporations purchase a crown jewel property, and then destroy it by cheapening everything after they take over. It seems to me that what you do when you buy a property like WBNS is that you let them keep running things like they always have and keep the high level of investment they have always had going.

Even Jym Ganahal "retiring" from WCMH only to resurface at WSYX because he was "bored".

I wonder if Marshall needed some meteorology help over there, and Jym came over to help him.

Once upon a time, talent would move "up" to 10TV, like when Chris Bradley made the jump years ago.

And don't forget 10TV has been like Tom Ryan, Carol Luper, Luann Stoia and a few others ending up at Channel 6. (No offense.) Channel 6 isn't getting the has beens anymore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

I wonder if Marshall needed some meteorology help over there, and Jym came over to help him.

Jym Ganahl was probably a bargain.  And his "retirement" from NBC4 was probably a win-win to cut his payroll there, and just wanting to get back into the swing of things at ABC6, he took whatever they would give him.  Initially it was a midday weather slot, but it's probably grown in recent years to include fill-in work.

Marshall also worked at NBC4 and even did mornings at WKYC in the 90s.  Even after his flap with the NLGJA (National Association of LGBTQ Journalists) after his comments made at their conference, he's still going strong at ABC6.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Marshall also worked at NBC4 and even did mornings at WKYC in the 90s.  Even after his flap with the NLGJA (National Association of LGBTQ Journalists) after his comments made at their conference, he's still going strong at ABC6.

Marshall is reportedly gay, so I don't see what the big deal is. I think he's married, but I'm not sure what that means anymore. Anyway, I saw it as poking fun at himself. Of course, when something goes viral like that, how do you defend yourself when you don't really want to wear your gayness on your sleeve? It seems to me that whoever was getting outraged over that should have been taken aside and given some context.

https://timesofsandiego.com/business/2022/12/18/marketink-end-of-year-retirements-for-nbc-7s-rory-devine-artie-ojeda/

KNSD-TV NBC 7 San Diego has announced the retirements of longtime anchor-and-reporters Rory Devine and Artie Ojeda.

Devine, 69, joined NBC 7 as a reporter in 1984, when the station’s call letters were KCST. Her last day is Friday, Dec. 30. Ojeda, 61, has been with station since 1996. His last day is Friday, Dec. 23.

Both of them told Times of San Diego they are retiring after accepting voluntary buyouts offered by NBCUniversal, which owns KNSD-TV. The conglomerate has been offering early retirement packages to employees ages 57 and older with 10 years of service as part of a companywide effort to reduce spending.

• Sad 3

On 12/12/2022 at 6:45 PM, Big Rollo Smokes said:

For the third time in four years, WBNS-TV in Columbus is looking for it's next chief meteorologist.

Ashlee Baracy is leaving 10TV for what the station describes as "an exciting new opportunity." She will sign-off this Thursday (12/15).

https://www.10tv.com/mobile/article/news/local/ashlee-baracy-leaving-10tv/530-3252e926-2f27-4df5-9f63-ed8ad224f438

I just saw on Facebook that Ashley Baracy is headed back home to WDIV. 

https://www.clickondetroit.com/weather/2022/12/27/local-4-news-expanding-4warn-weather-team-with-additions-of-ron-hilliard-ashlee-baracy/?fbclid=IwAR3HQp5M31UIs31diGl4AXFOICct6ZuzZrtSAq5IbN4iI4m4f3eyIrvz6xc&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

Edited by jerseyfla
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, jerseyfla said:

I had a feeling she was going to Detroit at first, but then she started talking like she was going to be staying in Columbus, so that threw me off. Always go with your first instinct.

• Like 2

On 12/28/2022 at 4:54 AM, Oliverolang said:

Here it is, from my NBC affiliate KWWL.  Sports Anchor Mark Woodley’s winter weather rant.

I hope his bosses have a sense of humor. Most corporate suits don't. But then again, Byron Allen owns the station, so he might not mind the comedy.

Edited by DirtyHarry
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1