Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
TexasTVNews

Out & About

Weeters

This thread will soon become "Comings and Goings", a thread targeted at talent and staff arrivals and departures. Please consider starting new threads for anything that does not fit this criteria. 
Click here for more information regarding the sunsetting of "general" threads.

Message added by Weeters

34 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

I thought WBNS would go after Mark Taylor after he left WCMH to replace Revish.  Wouldn't a more familiar face be a better option to join the evening desk as opposed to someone from another market?

That’s what I would’ve thought as well, seeing that Mark had a pretty strong following in the market.  Maybe, if they intend on filling the Scott Light slot, they could pursue Taylor for that?  

I am honestly surprised by this move - and think it would’ve went a different direction if Dispatch still owned 10TV.  One thing jd clear -  the days of superstars like Andrea Cambern are looooong gone.  

But, as an aside, I’ve been bewildered by many anchor assignments made in Ohio this year.  (Inskeep over Johansen at WKRC, Johansen displacing Taylor at WCMH, Kerry replacing Mike Jackson at WCMH, Kristi Leigh leaving her home market and WTOL taking 7 months to fill that seat internally, Laura Caso/Sara Shookman swap at WKYC, etc...)

53 minutes ago, evwalker0901 said:

uh wow. Shawn leaving was largely (ish) considered to be the last straw for many of the commenters throughout Fox 5's social media after Allison's departure. I felt like this was probably coming sooner or later, but didn't expect it this soon. And it's also another pretty unceremonious departure for a veteran anchor -- really questioning what kind of gameplay the GM has been going for as of late, and if they're intentionally trying to alienate a core part of their viewing area.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

uh wow. Shawn leaving was largely (ish) considered to be the last straw for many of the commenters throughout Fox 5's social media after Allison's departure. I felt like this was probably coming sooner or later, but didn't expect it this soon. And it's also another pretty unceremonious departure for a veteran anchor -- really questioning what kind of gameplay the GM has been going for as of late, and if they're intentionally trying to alienate a core part of their viewing area.

Yes, something is definitely going on. In the market, for our African American community, (specially us Millennials) WTTG was the go-to largely thanks to her and Allison.  WTTG is going to hurt from this definitely! I wonder if we will get more insight soon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CLT-DCA-ORF-PTI said:

Yes, something is definitely going on. In the market, for our African American community, (specially us Millennials) WTTG was the go-to largely thanks to her and Allison.  WTTG is going to hurt from this definitely! I wonder if we will get more insight soon. 

It sucks to have two people who've pretty much become family just leave in such an unpredictable way. I empathize with the pain. WRC is the indisputable ratings leader in the market, but for mornings, do you think people (or anyone channel surfing besides 5) in general have been more drawn to News4 Today or WUSA's Get Up DC! instead? (especially with Annie & Tony jumping ship over there)

-------------------------------------------------

Edited to add: 

If what FTVLive is saying is true, then Gary McGrady (ALSO from Fox 5) will be leaving come next week. He's a 16-year veteran meteorologist currently doing weekend mornings. The team keeps getting decimated over there. 

Edited by Roadrunner

On 9/10/2020 at 4:23 PM, CLETVFan said:

I thought WBNS would go after Mark Taylor after he left WCMH to replace Revish.  Wouldn't a more familiar face be a better option to join the evening desk as opposed to someone from another market?

WBNS should be groveling to get Jeff Hogan back which I'm sure he sitting on top of the world at WRAL.  Jeff and Yolanda would of been great together. Marky -Mark ok but nothing to write home about.  For TEGNA it another cheap hire.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Breaking News said:

WBNS should be groveling to get Jeff Hogan back which I'm sure he sitting on top of the world at WRAL.  Jeff and Yolanda would of been great together. Marky -Mark ok but nothing to write home about.  For TEGNA it another cheap hire.

Taylor is not cheap.

On 9/11/2020 at 7:11 AM, Roadrunner said:

It sucks to have two people who've pretty much become family just leave in such an unpredictable way. I empathize with the pain. WRC is the indisputable ratings leader in the market, but for mornings, do you think people (or anyone channel surfing besides 5) in general have been more drawn to News4 Today or WUSA's Get Up DC! instead? (especially with Annie & Tony jumping ship over there)

-------------------------------------------------

Edited to add: 

If what FTVLive is saying is true, then Gary McGrady (ALSO from Fox 5) will be leaving come next week. He's a 16-year veteran meteorologist currently doing weekend mornings. The team keeps getting decimated over there. 

This is odd. Departures happen but three long tenured personalities in the matter of weeks is unusual without something else at play.

• Like 1

WBNS went the cheap tegna route. If they wanted experience, they would have promoted Scott Light, or brought it someone of similar caliber. Instead they bring in a kid from Toledo, who is good, but hardly the most qualified. 

And, he is probably going to make 125k, instead of what the job should pay. 
But its not just WBNS. Look at CMH. They passed over the older white guy there (Johansen) who is clearly more experienced, for a younger kid, who looks misplaced next to Colleen. 

• Like 2

Sooner or later, WSYX is going to become the #1 station in the market.

Because Sinclair has been pouring money and talent into the station for years, while WCMH has been trying to recover from Media General, and now WBNS is just another hopeless Tegna clone.

I have to wonder if Jym Ganahl really retired from WCMH.....because it seemed he came right back to WSYX when his non-compete expired.

• Like 1

Has WOIO hired a new investigative reporter?  I know their last two attempts after Carl Monday's departure (the guy from Florida, the woman from Michigan) didn't pan out too well.

Speaking of 19, they brought back Ronnie Duncan, who used to do sports from 1995 to 2001, but as a news reporter.

5 hours ago, newsman123 said:

WBNS went the cheap tegna route. If they wanted experience, they would have promoted Scott Light, or brought it someone of similar caliber. Instead they bring in a kid from Toledo, who is good, but hardly the most qualified. 

And, he is probably going to make 125k, instead of what the job should pay. 
But its not just WBNS. Look at CMH. They passed over the older white guy there (Johansen) who is clearly more experienced, for a younger kid, who looks misplaced next to Colleen. 

Same for WKRC in Cincinnati. Lots of young Black guy/older woman anchor pairings in Ohio lately... 

On 9/11/2020 at 12:15 AM, nickp said:

Shawn Yancy’s first story assignment at FOX 5 was covering the 9/11 terrorist attacks from the Pentagon

Yea, I remember she anchored all-day coverage. If that till the other sister came. I tell Washington is doing some fishy shit Washington, D.C. the most blackest town in the nation, next to Atlanta!!! Which is The second blackest town. Um Yancy departure, with Allison Morris will do irreparable damage to the Washington, D.C. Market and WTTG FOX 5 D.C..

1 hour ago, ttvn2000 said:

Same for WKRC in Cincinnati. Lots of young Black guy/older woman anchor pairings in Ohio lately... 

Yeah, Johansson needed that promotion badly, especially after they did him wrong at WRAL In Raleigh. He was going to embark on the lead 5 P.M. slot and 11 P.M. I think we’re the details and a big salary, but when the anchor who was supposed to be replaced by him David Crabtree wanted to push back his retirement to a few years till 2021 they did wrong. No alternative offer for an extensive salary they paid for and basically wasted money for a contract they never used it for!!!

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

Yeah, Johansson needed that promotion badly, especially after they did him wrong at WRAL In Raleigh. He was going to embark on the lead 5 P.M. slot and 11 P.M. I think we’re the details and a big salary, but when the anchor who was supposed to be replaced by him David Crabtree wanted to push back his retirement to a few years till 2021 they did wrong. No alternative offer for an extensive salary they paid for and basically wasted money for a contract they never used it for!!!

I'm not sure it is accurate to say WRAL did Brad Johansen wrong. Yes, Crabtree delayed his retirement but that is not why he is no longer at the station. According to the Fayetteville Observer, "there was an employee violation and a personnel matter that needed to be handled immediately." That doesn't sound like the station did him wrong nor does it sound like the station decided not to offer him a contract. This appears to be a termination of an employee for cause. Johansen had already assumed Crabtree's hosting duties of the station's public affairs show, "On the Record" and was the primary fill in. By all accounts he was going to be kept on until Crabtree's retirement. That is until this alleged violation. 

New M&A. Weigel is at it again.

They're acquiring Lebanon, TN's WJFB, from HC2 Broadcasting for $5.5M.

WJFB became a MeTV affiliate, after Nashville's WKRN dropped the network last fall.

No fanfare. Tom Randles is gone from WSMV. I think there’s something in the water at Meredith corporate. (Edited to link to Randles’ profile)

Edited by MikePulse
  • Sad 3

20 minutes ago, MikePulse said:

No fanfare. Tom Randles is gone from WSMV. I think there’s something in the water at Meredith corporate. 

This smells of a round of cuts:

Wow. Tom Randles. This follows Dennis House. They appear to be dropping all their highly paid main anchors within the company. 

WOIO just launched a new one-hour 11am newscast on WUAB with Jamie Sullivan anchoring and Jeff Tanchak on weather.

1 hour ago, newsman123 said:

Wow. Tom Randles. This follows Dennis House. They appear to be dropping all their highly paid main anchors within the company. 

Probably making things cheaper for a company sale.

6 hours ago, MikePulse said:

No fanfare. Tom Randles is gone from WSMV. I think there’s something in the water at Meredith corporate. (Edited to link to Randles’ profile)

5 hours ago, Samantha said:

This smells of a round of cuts:

5 hours ago, newsman123 said:

This should not come as a surprise because its clear to us who's going to be on the block next (when the time is right).

There is no way Meredith would be selling if they weren't making all of these cuts.

There is a big change in the Bay Area.

It appears that KGO has gotten rid of its 4:30am local news. ABC 7 Mornings will now start at 5am each weekday morning, and that started today (9/14).

According to their guide, it's 4:30 timeslot is now being occupied by a reairing of America This Morning.