Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
TexasTVNews

Out & About

Weeters

This thread will soon become "Comings and Goings", a thread targeted at talent and staff arrivals and departures. Please consider starting new threads for anything that does not fit this criteria. 
Click here for more information regarding the sunsetting of "general" threads.

Message added by Weeters

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NEOMatrix said:

Hell, WKYC did a similar thing with Betsy Kling being 5pm anchor WHILE doing weather at 6, 7, and 11.

I think Stan Boney's transition was the same, he became co-anchor while doing weather, then totally relinquished his weather duties to become WYTV's solo evening anchor, before moving over to WKBN in 2015.

 

I would imagine he keeps his 10pm and 11pm shows, while Dave Sess keeps 5 & 6 when Alexis begins her anchor stint.

Edited by tyrannical bastard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A small M&A. Weigel wants to expand its OTA reach in northern Utah with a couple of LPs.

 

They're buying Logan's KUTA-LD & Ogden's KQTI-LD from Airwaves, Inc. for $375K.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2020 at 3:35 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

FTVLive decreed that WKBN meteorologist Alexis Walters was making the jump from weather to primary anchor, and that such a move was something he had never heard of.

 

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2020/7/17/moving-over-from-the-chromakey

 

Ummm......Stan Boney?

 

Not only did he make the move from Chief Met to primary anchor at WYTV, he moved across the hall to WKBN to be an anchor there.

Ron Young coanchored the 9am news on KSLA while serving as the meteorologist.

 

In a reverse example, Steve Bender left his morning anchor gig at KTAL to be the meteorologist at KRNV. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

Ron Young coanchored the 9am news on KSLA while serving as the meteorologist.

 

In a reverse example, Steve Bender left his morning anchor gig at KTAL to be the meteorologist at KRNV. 

Robin Reed from WDBJ comes to mind. Tim Williams from WJZ, and...umm...one of the most obvious examples (to me) - Tony Perkins from GMA/WTTG/WUSA. Maybe because she is a meteorologist and not a weather anchor? Idk, I do think it is a strange statement to say from an insider site.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, we all get the point. Some meteorologists anchor. No need to derail this thread to just list them all.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WTHR will carry the Indianapolis 500 LIVE in the Indianapolis DMA for only the 4th time in the history of the race.

 

https://www.wthr.com/article/sports/motor/indianapolis-500/indianapolis-500-to-air-live-indy-wthr-channel-13-2020/531-1a6779cb-1ce3-478a-b942-743434c2d1ae

 

The race is usually blacked out in Indianapolis to ensure fan presence, only airing live if the race is sold out, but with the event capped at roughly 25% capacity, this seems like a no-brainer for IndyCar, and may end up being a boon for WTHR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

WTHR will carry the Indianapolis 500 LIVE in the Indianapolis DMA for only the 4th time in the history of the race.

 

https://www.wthr.com/article/sports/motor/indianapolis-500/indianapolis-500-to-air-live-indy-wthr-channel-13-2020/531-1a6779cb-1ce3-478a-b942-743434c2d1ae

 

The race is usually blacked out in Indianapolis to ensure fan presence, only airing live if the race is sold out, but with the event capped at roughly 25% capacity, this seems like a no-brainer for IndyCar, and may end up being a boon for WTHR.


 

I don’t know why they block it out anyway... There the home market that’s money on the table that how you force people to go that sounds like an action of a small market would do. That Like if the Green Bay Packers were playing in Green Bay that would be like no one in Green Bay can see it unless you come to the game while the rest of the country sees it. To help support attendance in a city that size for a big sports league that can even fit a city that size...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Gavin said:


 

I don’t know why they block it out anyway... There the home market that’s money on the table that how you force people to go that sounds like an action of a small market would do. That Like if the Green Bay Packers were playing in Green Bay that would be like no one in Green Bay can see it unless you come to the game while the rest of the country sees it. To help support attendance in a city that size for a big sports league that can even fit a city that size...

That's the way the NFL blackout policy worked until 2015...thankfully Green Bay always sells out so we never experienced a game blackout locally, but it always sounded embarrassing that a local TV station (this always occurred in bad Vikings years and for at least a decade, for the Lions) had to buy out blocks of tickets so they wouldn't have to carry TV offal instead of their local NFL game on a Sunday afternoon.

 

The main reason for the Indy blackout though is to make it an event you have to see, not just a distraction you can easily access on TV and have bars just Hoover up money with their watch parties that the track would rather have in their own pockets. This year though, you want home eyeballs live in Indy for sure on TV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

That's the way the NFL blackout policy worked until 2015...thankfully Green Bay always sells out so we never experienced a game blackout locally, but it always sounded embarrassing that a local TV station (this always occurred in bad Vikings years and for at least a decade, for the Lions) had to buy out blocks of tickets so they wouldn't have to carry TV offal instead of their local NFL game on a Sunday afternoon.

 

The main reason for the Indy blackout though is to make it an event you have to see, not just a distraction you can easily access on TV and have bars just Hoover up money with their watch parties that the track would rather have in their own pockets. This year though, you want home eyeballs live in Indy for sure on TV.

 

I remember back when KDFW was a CBS station, they'd buy up Dallas Cowboys tickets so there wouldn't be a blackout.  Sometimes there was anyway; many with antennas would try to swivel them around to try to pick up KXII from Sherman, or even KLTV (back in their cherry-picking days) in Tyler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, east-tx-tv said:

 

I remember back when KDFW was a CBS station, they'd buy up Dallas Cowboys tickets so there wouldn't be a blackout.  Sometimes there was anyway; many with antennas would try to swivel them around to try to pick up KXII from Sherman, or even KLTV (back in their cherry-picking days) in Tyler.

Cleveland had the same problem with the Browns, and since Youngstown was within 75 miles, they had to black out the games too.  There was even a few times where Monday Night Football was blacked out when it was on ABC, and WEWS, WYTV, and even WAKC in Akron (before they were sold to Paxson) had to pre-empt the game.

 

At least the NFL is primarily available on broadcast TV, while large parts of the NBA and MLB have migrated to cable and the RSNs.  Given the state of the Fox Sports RSNs under Sinclair, that may be trouble with all of the cord-cutting and their "reduced" carriage agreements.  Some don't even carry them at all, while the YouTubeTV only has carriage in primary market areas, and still lacks the new Cubs' network.

 

If more sports pull the plug or postpone (due to COVID-19) this year, the pay-tv bubble could finally burst.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, east-tx-tv said:

 

I remember back when KDFW was a CBS station, they'd buy up Dallas Cowboys tickets so there wouldn't be a blackout.  Sometimes there was anyway; many with antennas would try to swivel them around to try to pick up KXII from Sherman, or even KLTV (back in their cherry-picking days) in Tyler.


Or KWTX in Waco - I remember during the 80s heading back to College Station from Dallas, there would be folks parked at rest stops along I-35 “tailgating” with a TV to watch the Cowboys on a Sunday afternoon when the Cowboys didn’t sell out....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Multiple reports stating Regis Philbin has passed at 88.

 

he started his TV carrer at KGTV in San Diego before moving to LA and NYC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anchor changes are taking place at Austin's KVUE ABC 24.

 

Evening Anchor Mike Rush will be move to Daybreak (5-7am) with Yvonne Nava. Morning anchor Bryan Mays will now be the stations main anchor at 5, 6 and 10pm with Terri Gruca (5pm) and Quita Culpepper (6 & 10pm). Meteorologist Jason Mikell will now do the weather on weekends, he'll be anchoring the early morning edition of Daybreak at 4:30am, and do traffic reports from 5-7am.

 

The changes will take place starting tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2020 at 9:01 PM, C Block said:

First Sven Sundgaard from their sister station KARE got the boot for similar comments, now Marty. Well at least Tegna is consistent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Another passing to report.  John Ivanic, who was a reporter/anchor at WCMH until 2007, passed away at the age of 52.

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-news/remembering-former-nbc4-anchor-john-ivanic/

That newsroom has suffered a lot of loss over the last few years. Mike Bowersock, Mike Jackson's stroke, Tom McNutt, and now him. He worked with Heather Pick in Rockford and again in Columbus.

 

I liked him, The Mighty Ben Gelber, and Holly Hollingsworth together. They had great chemistry and you could tell they enjoyed working with eachother and genuinely liked one another. Stan Sanders stupidly split them up. 

 

He left in 2007 after station management cut newsroom operations down, and immediately began working for City Council.

 

Huge loss for Newschannel 4. RIP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

WTEN's Nicol Lally, after nearly 13 years, has parted ways with the station, but not for the reasons you'd think. Her husband, Jason Tapp, is now the assistant men's hockey coach at Dartmouth College. Tapp had spent the last decade as an "associate" (goalie) coach at Union College, winning the 2014 Frozen Four in the process and helping make the idea of goalie coaches at D-I college hockey a mainstream idea.

 

Hey Hearst, if you want someone to staff your Upper Valley bureau for WMUR and WPTZ, I know just the person for it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, scrabbleship said:

 

WTEN's Nicol Lally, after nearly 13 years, has parted ways with the station, but not for the reasons you'd think. Her husband, Jason Tapp, is now the assistant men's hockey coach at Dartmouth College. Tapp had spent the last decade as an "associate" (goalie) coach at Union College, winning the 2014 Frozen Four in the process and helping make the idea of goalie coaches at D-I college hockey a mainstream idea.

 

Hey Hearst, if you want someone to staff your Upper Valley bureau for WMUR and WPTZ, I know just the person for it!

WTEN’s revolving door seems to be working fairly well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NewTonight said:

WTEN’s revolving door seems to be working fairly well.

 

The funny thing is outside the meteorologist role it's been pretty stable in mornings for them. Not unlike WRGB which still hasn't recovered from Ed O'Brien passing away or WNYT which has as much of a revolving door. Last I checked they were neck in neck with 13 in the mornings.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, scrabbleship said:

 

The funny thing is outside the meteorologist role it's been pretty stable in mornings for them. Not unlike WRGB which still hasn't recovered from Ed O'Brien passing away or WNYT which has as much of a revolving door. Last I checked they were neck in neck with 13 in the mornings.

I was going to say Nicol and Christina have been on the constant on the morning news. Sad to see her leave. Hope they pull from within for the third anchor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of you in the Milwaukee viewing area, FOX 6 pulled out all the stops for WakeUp anchor Nicole Koglin, who is departing the station after 15 years, which she announced four months prior in March. Today was her last day and she'd been anchoring from home for several months, but the station put up a desk outside the studio for her to be with people one last time on-air. Anyone leaving a station is difficult to watch, but if you're a fan of hers, you can check out what they did for her on her last day today: https://www.fox6now.com/fox6-wakeup-news/saying-goodbye-to-nicole-koglin-fox6-crew-wishes-her-well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.