Message added by Weeters

This thread will soon become "Comings and Goings", a thread targeted at talent and staff arrivals and departures. Please consider starting new threads for anything that does not fit this criteria. 
Click here for more information regarding the sunsetting of "general" threads.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I worked with a news anchor who battled an alcohol addiction. It's not just about someone having too much fun and getting carried away, there sometimes are much deeper issues we don't know about. My c

"...To Another Channel!"

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Mastaclocksetta said:

Dave Lopez is retiring

CC: Los Angeles News/DEVELOPING: CBS Layoffs

An LA legend: a 43-year veteran of the station and 48 years in the market -- Dave's had a hell of a career and I'm happy he gets to take his break. I would hate to believe it, but wouldn't be terribly surprised if he maybe might have been bought out (a la possibly Brenda Waters) in these troubling times at CBS, but regardless. His announcement video is a must-watch and I'm happy to hear he's likely to get a pretty nice on-air send-off on June 30th.

KCTV5 has pulled the plug on BetterKC (KC no longer has a Pay-for-play Lifestyle show) and debuted a 9am hour of KCTV5 News today. I’ve been watching this and it is a nice alternative to not having to listen to Mark Alford on Fox4.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, plzstandby said:

KCTV5 has pulled the plug on BetterKC (KC no longer has a Pay-for-play Lifestyle show) and debuted a 9am hour of KCTV5 News today. I’ve been watching this and it is a nice alternative to not having to listen to Mark Alford on Fox4.

Some people swear by Mark, but I swear he's getting more...eccentric...as he ages. Maybe he's better to work with, but on air it seems like you'd need a lot of patience.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, plzstandby said:

This, for now, is curtains for Meredith's "Better" concept as Connecticut has been on hiatus since COVID hit.

Also, Better KC was pay for play? From what I've seen of Connecticut they seem to strain to hide anything of the sort. 

6 hours ago, scrabbleship said:

This, for now, is curtains for Meredith's "Better" concept as Connecticut has been on hiatus since COVID hit.

Also, Better KC was pay for play? From what I've seen of Connecticut they seem to strain to hide anything of the sort. 

WALA's Studio 10 went on hiatus for about a month then returned at 9:30 for a half hour of repeat/encore content, but has since returned full-force, only with the necessary social distancing changes.

They also have added a lot of Meredith content to the show (People, Recipes.com, etc...) but have never been associated with the "Better" brand...the show itself was launched in the LIN era and has only had a time shift to 9am and several co-host changes.

Edited by tyrannical bastard

Monica Matthews at WSB Radio tweets got her in trouble over WSB-TV anchor Jovita Moore.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/radiotvtalk/wsb-radio-lets-weekend-host-monica-matthews-citing-her-twitter-feud-with-jovita-moore/VgQxaJ3FiFQmg05p3CjTwJ/

Leaving WTNH 8 Jocelyn Maminta signed off NEWS8 after 20 plus years.

Edited by Breaking News
14 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

WALA's Studio 10 went on hiatus for about a month then returned at 9:30 for a half hour of repeat/encore content, but has since returned full-force, only with the necessary social distancing changes.

They also have added a lot of Meredith content to the show (People, Recipes.com, etc...) but have never been associated with the "Better" brand...the show itself was launched in the LIN era and has only had a time shift to 9am and several co-host changes.

Isn't KMOV in the same boat with Great Day St. Louis? 

If Better KC is truly dead and Better Connecticut doesn't come back, it may add fuel to the fire of Meredith tapping out of broadcast. Especially if they'd kill the cash cow of the latter as that was winning its slot back in the 3:00 days and all signs pointed to a return to that time/60 minute length was a "when, not if" deal pre-COVID.

• Like 3
On 6/15/2020 at 10:44 PM, Breaking News said:

Monica Matthews at WSB Radio tweets got her in trouble over WSB-TV anchor Jovita Moore.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/radiotvtalk/wsb-radio-lets-weekend-host-monica-matthews-citing-her-twitter-feud-with-jovita-moore/VgQxaJ3FiFQmg05p3CjTwJ/

Wow, picking fights with any of your colleagues is a bad move, especially someone as established and well-respected as Jovita Moore.

Sounds like WSB isn't losing much on the radio side.

• Like 2
On 6/16/2020 at 12:08 PM, newsbot said:

Former WCVB/WFXT anchor Bianca de la Garza sued to recover $15 million in (allegedly) embezzled funds.

https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2020/06/16/alden-shoe-bianca-de-la-garza-lawsuit

Somewhere David Wade is happy at the debacle he dodged.

Seriously her leaving WCVB was one of the more bizarre moves to happen in that market.

Edited by scrabbleship
  • Like 1

More news out of WALA.  News Director Scott Flannigan has been named to the same post at Meredith sister station KCTV in Kansas City.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2020/6/18/bumped-up-the-meredith-food-chain

I guess they'll have to hire someone in Mobile....oh wait, aren't they under a hiring freeze?

Then again, they bounced their GM to bring in someone else a few weeks back....

• Haha 1

Prayers are going out to former New York and current Harrisburg, PA anchor Robb Hanrahan of CBS 21 (WHP) who had suffered a massive heart attack yesterday. He's recovering in the ICU after a second surgery. Thoughts are with The Hanrahan Family and Robb's colleagues at CBS 21, and prayers for a full recovery to Robb and to his family at this difficult time.

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/06/cbs-21-anchor-robb-hanrahan-still-in-icu-but-made-a-nice-step-after-heart-attack-wife-says.html

• Like 3

Former WPRI/WNAC reporter Caroline Goggin is heading up to Boston to work with WHDH 7 News. Her last day at WPRI 12/FOX Providence was on Friday.

WFXT has cut down their hour-long 6PM weekend newscasts to a half-hour; the second half hour has been turned over to their "In Depth" series of prerecorded news specials. A similar cutback has hit the Sunday 10PM newscast.

Edited by newsbot
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, newsbot said:

WFXT has cut down their hour-long 6PM weekend newscasts to a half-hour; the second half hour has been turned over to their "In Depth" series of prerecorded news specials. A similar cutback has hit the Sunday 10PM newscast.

Not good for WFXT. Fox is cutting back on its station when they have the most worthy stocks!!!