Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
TexasTVNews

Out & About

Weeters

Please keep all COVID-19 contingency speculation in the speculation board thread on the matter.

Message added by Weeters

3 hours ago, FiveNews said:

My guess is that Rudabeh (come back to LA) is going to Nexstar's News Nation. There was another article in FTVLive last week that mentioned News Nation would possibly have a Miami bureau. That might be where she ends up. I was never a fan of Rudabeh's anchoring here in LA on KABC weekend mornings., but she did great as a GA reporter the other three days a week.

Yeah I had a feeling she going to News Nation she said a "National" anchor position on the "National Level" so I guess she's gonna be the founding anchors of Nexstar's News Nation!!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, J1975am said:

That infamous quote from her on the CBS Morning News in the mid-‘80s is NOT how Phyllis George would want to be remembered.....😐

CBS was finally beginning to gain some traction in the morning with Bill Kurtis, and it began to slip again after Diane Sawyer left the show.  Even Meredith Viera was a contender, decades before she inherited the co-anchor slot on Today when Katie Couric left for CBS.

Bottom line, it was a bad pairing to bring her on to the show (after a short trial and a 3 year deal), and it seemed to tank her trailblazing career up to that point.  Bill Kurtis went back to Chicago to anchor at WBBM.

Edited by tyrannical bastard

23 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

Was it the right thing? A good employer would’ve tried to get them the right help.

I get it but I think she needs to learn from this on her own before getting any kind of help from anyone. She's responsible for her own actions.

WLEX meteorologist Jill Szwed's last day at the station is May 24. WTEN has hired her to be the station's new weekday morning meteorologist. She starts at the Albany station next month.

KDKA-TV seems to have eliminated the 6:57 intershow break between the news @ 6 and CBSEN @7.  

I'll have to see if they still have the 12:27 break before young and the restless.

2 hours ago, Superdude said:

KDKA-TV seems to have eliminated the 6:57 intershow break between the news @ 6 and CBSEN @7.  

I'll have to see if they still have the 12:27 break before young and the restless.

I seen that tonight. Don't know when that started, but I noticed it this evening. 

The 12:27 break before Y&R is still there. 

7 hours ago, tjt24 said:

I seen that tonight. Don't know when that started, but I noticed it this evening. 

The 12:27 break before Y&R is still there. 

I figured. I always liked how kd would traditionally say 'stay tuned for (name of show here)' at the end of the newscast. Many other stations don't bother, its a nice touch.

I'm shocked they didnt have the 6:56 adbreak last night.  That used to be a big ad revenue spot, especially during the PA lottery years and kenny ross.  I guess with current world events the ad sales aren't optimal.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Superdude said:

I figured. I always liked how kd would traditionally say 'stay tuned for (name of show here)' at the end of the newscast. Many other stations don't bother, its a nice touch.

I'm shocked they didnt have the 6:56 adbreak last night.  That used to be a big ad revenue spot, especially during the PA lottery years and kenny ross.  I guess with current world events the ad sales aren't optimal.

I've always liked that as well. I think they only did that for the noon news though.

Edited by tjt24

Some updates from the last week:

• Jackie Ward, formerly of KPIX, joined KNTV. Her departure marks the fourth exit in less than a year from KPIX after the departure of three prominent faces all in September 2019. Speaking of KPIX, if it's to be believed that a further exodus could potentially happen this fall (per Rich Lieberman), it's likely there will continue to be a detachment (read: further sinking ratings) between the viewer and the revolving door of faces of the station. There was a new chief meteorologist hire in Paul Heggen from WNCN in February and a morning/noon anchor hire in Len Kiese from WFTV in March, but we'll see if KPIX will promote from within to fill in any holes and/or what new hires will come about from their slowly shrinking staff. Any thoughts on KPIX's future?
  • Reena Roy, reporter at WCBS, is moving up from local news. Maybeeee another potential News Nation hire?
  • I also caught wind of a KXAS producer (Emily Allen) leaving for Florida, so talk of Rudabeh being an anchor for a possible Miami bureau for NN had me thinking.....but no, that's too much lol
  • Mazie Rae Vincent, sports at WJFW, has left the station.
  • Annie Schroeder, reporter at WVIR, is headed for WSLS in June.

But this happened pretty much after Friday: Chris McKinnon, anchor at WBZ, is out. Station bio is gone, social media handles were all changed, and there was no send off. He's been the weekday morning anchor since 2015 and I thought he and co-anchor Kate Merrill had good rapport, so this is sad 😕 

Scott Steele has settled his lawsuit from WTMJ.  Good for him, never was a fan of his shtick, but it sucks that a longtime face gets treated this way. Coincidentally, I saw (from one my FB friends) that a fill in host of WISN AM's morning show talked about a Facebook post he saw of Spunky , Scott's former sidekick at WITI.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/local/2020/05/22/scott-steeles-federal-lawsuit-charging-anti-semitism-wtmj-tv-has-been-settled/5241190002/

https://newstalk1130.iheart.com/featured/gregory-jon/content/2020-05-21-a-picture-of-spunky-sparks-a-great-conversation-about-social-media/

Mentioned here in AJC via FTVLive, WGCL sees another mass of departures. 

[Anchor Mike Dunston / Investigative Reporter Jonathan Carlson / Reporter Daniel Wilkerson / Sr. Exec. Producer Phil Landeros]

https://www.ajc.com/blog/radiotvtalk/cbs46-cuts-mike-dunston-jonathan-carlson-daniel-wilkerson/hF11f8sZgdCr5vzrCNkD1M/

Particularly unfortunate for Jonathan Carlson, who just came back 11 days ago after recovering from COVID-19.

What's next for ailing WGCL?

Crystal Egger popped up doing weather on KNSD when I tuned in at 4. I know they are down a weekend weather anchor and looking into it, she's been on air at least since March. Not sure if she's permanent for the weekend or freelance as she has no bio on their site.

2 hours ago, Bsean said:

Crystal Egger popped up doing weather on KNSD when I tuned in at 4. I know they are down a weekend weather anchor and looking into it, she's been on air at least since March. Not sure if she's permanent for the weekend or freelance as she has no bio on their site.

Freelance. She posted a video on Instagram and someone asked if she part of the team and said she’s just freelancing for the time being.

Posted (edited)

Former WBZ and WCVB producer Donna Morrissey is dead of coronavirus at 51
https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/05/23/donna-morrissey-american-red-cross-dies-coronavirus-wbz-tv-pr-spokesperson-boston-archdiocese/

The Boston Globe obit focuses on her much higher-profile positions in PR for the Boston Archdiocese and the American Red Cross
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/05/23/metro/donna-m-morrissey-whose-headed-pr-boston-archdiocese-american-red-cross-dies-51-covid-19/

Edited by newsbot

On 5/5/2020 at 12:07 AM, mrschimpf said:

Expect it to drag on even longer (this is the Gray deal to buy KCPM in Grand Forks/Fargo that we thought was dead in March); the shambling remains of GIG and Gray are campaigning to restore the license and use the backup KVLY transmitter as the new KCPM tower to broadcast local COVID news conferences, tele-learning from local school districts and Gray public affairs programming (they also argue it's Grand Forks' only station, which must mean the entire market has hallucinated the existence of WDAZ for 60 years despite its Devils Lake COL). With a month left in the school year. In an area with a low number of cases right now.

Of course a sane FCC would just say 'you've got MeTV on 11.3, just use that', but this could probably be approved even though many MyNetworkTV stations can barely get an advertiser an ad break at this point.

The FCC saw through GIG's charade, told Gray that 'you really couldn't check if 27.1 was on the air the last six years?!' and has dismissed the petition. KCPM is in all intents and purposes, television history.

Posted (edited)

Some news in the Mobile/Pensacola market...

Lance Crawford has left WPMI to become the Director of Media Relations for the University of South Alabama.  He worked two stints at WPMI as Sports Director, with a hiatus in the middle when he was released by Sinclair only to be re-hired back two years later (when his replacement didn't work out).  He also worked at WALA in the 90s along with stints in Palm Springs, Medford, and Comcast SportsNet in Philadelphia.

And WALA reporter/fill in anchor Steve Alexander has been busted for DUI.  New Orleanians may remember him as Steve Ozenovich when he worked at WVUE.

https://bustedinmobile.com/2020/05/24/steven-alexander-ozenovich/

Here's the story from AL.com

https://www.al.com/crime/2020/05/alabama-tv-reporter-arrested-on-dui-charge-in-mobile.html

AL.com story

Posted (edited)

Meanwhile in Atlanta, WGCL cuts four. Weekend anchor/reporter Mike Dunston out. Investigative reporter Jonathan Carlson ("The CBS46 Bulldog") out. Reporter Daniel Wilkerson out. And executive producer Phil Landeros out.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/radiotvtalk/cbs46-cuts-mike-dunston-jonathan-carlson-daniel-wilkerson/hF11f8sZgdCr5vzrCNkD1M/

Edited by tw-804
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, tw-804 said:

Meanwhile in Atlanta, WGCL cuts four. Weekend anchor/reporter Mike Dunston out. Investigative reporter Jonathan Carlson ("The CBS46 Bulldog") out. Reporter Daniel Wilkerson out. And executive producer Phil Landeros out.

And they wonder why there hurting in the ratings, my station CBS Station in my hometown of Raleigh WNCN has had this problem when the anchors left it was on there own volition or new job offer in a market. This team at WGCL can't even keep a news team full on-air for 3 years Mike Dundon ( Whose used to work in my market Raleigh was great until he left, I miss him because I was too young to remember him) He's a great anchor. Jonathan Carlson (ironically, also worked in my hometown of Raleigh WNCN when it was NBC so this is before 2016, he left in 2013 for WXYZ the ABC affilate in Detroit) he's a very tough anchor and investigative reporter. I don't get it why WGCL has constant cuts it like they can't get there act together in talent. That had a nationally accalamed news anchor Thomas Roberts they let him go, they had a star Sharon Reed (who stood up to a racist on-air on s newscast for calling her the "N" word) they let her go I don't get it. I'd be surprised if Rick Falbuam and Shon Gables last 14 months. The only reporter is remember leaving on the only volition was Jaclyn Roselyn for left for Iraq with her husband and was expecting her first child. I don't get WGCL. No wonder why there CBS Weakest affilate ratings why.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tw-804 said:

If you go to work for WGCL, rent, don't buy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gavin said:

And they wonder why there hurting in the ratings, my station CBS Station in my hometown of Raleigh WNCN has had this problem when the anchors left it was on there own volition or new job offer in a market. This team at WGCL can't even keep a news team full on-air for 3 years Mike Dundon ( Whose used to work in my market Raleigh was great until he left, I miss him because I was too young to remember him) He's a great anchor. Jonathan Carlson (ironically, also worked in my hometown of Raleigh WNCN when it was NBC so this is before 2016, he left in 2013 for WXYZ the ABC affilate in Detroit) he's a very tough anchor and investigative reporter. I don't get it why WGCL has constant cuts it like they can't get there act together in talent. That had a nationally accalamed news anchor Thomas Roberts they let him go, they had a star Sharon Reed (who stood up to a racist on-air on s newscast for calling her the "N" word) they let her go I don't get it. I'd be surprised if Rick Falbuam and Shon Gables last 14 months. The only reporter is remember leaving on the only volition was Jaclyn Roselyn for left for Iraq with her husband and was expecting her first child. I don't get WGCL. No wonder why there CBS Weakest affilate ratings why.

I think WSB's Justin Farmer and Jovita Moore have been anchoring together for nearly a decade now.

Posted (edited)

Yet another reason Meredith needs to be bought out of its misery.   This station has been cursed ever since Tribune traded them off and WGNX became WGCL.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Yet another reason Meredith needs to be bought out of its misery.   This station has been cursed ever since Tribune traded them off and WGNX became WGCL.

Imagine Tribune keeping WGNX and developed CBS with it, we could've seen a WGNX/WATL duopoly instead.

2 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

I think WSB's Justin Farmer and Jovita Moore have been anchoring together for nearly a decade now.

Yeah I know I think I I'll be 10 next year.

6 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Imagine Tribune keeping WGNX and developed CBS with it, we could've seen a WGNX/WATL duopoly instead.

Not to mention a POSSIBLE entry for Nexstar in the Atlanta market, had Tribune kept WGNX (WGCL).....