Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
TexasTVNews

Out & About

Weeters

Please keep all COVID-19 contingency speculation in the speculation board thread on the matter.

Message added by Weeters

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, nbc4ne said:

Reminds me of what Rhode Island's WJAR used in the mid-1980's.

Exactly.

image.png.1f13bab201996a913dc152380a64cf96.png

Edited by NowBergen
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

Going by Logopedia, it's a faux-throwback to their 1978 logo version, though that was just a solid block '10' rather than this line-art version.

It looks better than the stupid 'black box' they've been using. 

I just watched their online newscast and there has been no change on-air. In 2002, the logo appeared in the St. Petersburg Times a week before it debuted on the air. 

Edited by 8Viewer
  • Like 1

KOTV is currently closed for deep cleaning of the station after one of there workers tested positive for the virus KWTV stepped in to broadcast statewide tonight.  They said the guy is doing well and that he had no contact with anyone in the news and hasn't been at the station for two weeks.

• Like 3

It's a really cool logo! But it's no faux throwback. Got this higher-res version:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Rhis8eoEk5E/hqdefault.jpg?

It seems the first video with this logo was uploaded March 30.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Samantha said:

It's a really cool logo! But it's no faux throwback. Got this higher-res version:

So maybe Monday they'll debut it? I was hoping they'd do something like their sunset logo but just glad it looks like the "black box" days are numbered. 

WITI announced that their 9am show Real Milwaukee has been mothballed for a temporary hour extension of WakeUp until it's safe to return to their regular format; WTMJ's The Morning Blend has continued, but they've switched to remote interviews and more national 'deal of the day' segments to keep the lights on.

Posted (edited)
On 3/30/2020 at 2:03 PM, T.L. Hughes said:

Circle City Broadcasting has struck an agreement with the Family Broadcasting Corporation (the former LeSEA Broadcasting) to simulcast WISH-TV’s newscasts on religious-secular independent WHME/South Bend starting April 6. Family Broadcasting’s flagship station will carry around 60 hours per week of WISH’s newscasts, though exactly which ones will be carried and which ones will be exempted have not been immediately specified.

Although the station hasn’t updated its listings to include which of WISH’s newscasts will be shown on its schedule, WHME has (mostly) disclosed which newscasts will be simulcast on the station on its website. On weekdays, WHME will carry all six hours of News 8 Daybreak (4:00-10:00 a.m.), its three-hour early evening news block (4:00-7:00 p.m.) and its late news block (10:00-11:30 p.m.). The only weekday newscast that WHME will not carry is the 11:00 a.m. midday show.

While it also noted it would carry WISH’s weekend newscasts, the page didn’t specify which ones; presumably, it will carry the full schedule (Saturday and Sunday editions of Daybreak, and the 6:00, 10:00 and 11:00 p.m. newscasts as well as the SportsLocker), although Family Broadcasting’s stations have usually filled much of their Sunday schedules with religious programming, so it’s possible that WHME may have to shuffle some of those shows around the schedule and maybe even drop some of the secular classic series that it airs on Sunday afternoons (or even a couple of the religious programs it airs at other parts of the day) to incorporate all of WISH’s Sunday newscasts.

Edited by T.L. Hughes

Tegna has completed its acquisition of KTBU in Houston, giving KHOU 11 a sister station. KTBU has dropped Mega TV and is now carrying Tegna’s Quest on 55.1. Quest previously was carried on 11.4. 

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, 8Viewer said:

So maybe Monday they'll debut it? I was hoping they'd do something like their sunset logo but just glad it looks like the "black box" days are numbered. 

The logo may look similar to KGTV and WJAR's old logos but I think it looks more like a knockoff of WFLA's 1982-1988 Spirit of Tampa Bay "Figure 8" logo. Kind of an odd looking logo for 2020.

WFLA 1982-2.png

WXFL.jpg

Edited by jerseyfla
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Greggo said:

Tegna has completed its acquisition of KTBU in Houston, giving KHOU 11 a sister station. KTBU has dropped Mega TV and is now carrying Tegna’s Quest on 55.1. Quest previously was carried on 11.4. 

I really thought we were going to see the reboot of "The Tube"... but, I guess it's not to be.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Samantha said:

Also, is similar of australian Network 10

image.jpeg.639344d234c38e6baeeb1501b45660a1.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/4/2020 at 9:12 PM, Samantha said:

Honestly I'm not that big of a fan.  If they had the 10 numbers solid instead of those lines maybe I would like it more.  But I do like the Tampa Bay font below it.  I'm going to miss the coastal "wave" theme of their outgoing logo.

We'll have to see how it looks when they actually roll this out OTA.  Maybe it'll look better than this preview...we shall see either way

Edited by TheRyan
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

WEAR in Pensacola has suspended operations in their building for the time being due to two of their employees testing positive for COVID-19.  They are currently simulcasting WPMI's newscasts out of Mobile.

Sue Straughn, their lead anchor did a live shot outside of their station on Mobile Highway in Pensacola during Sunday's 5pm show.  Steve Nissim, WEAR's weekend sports anchor provided a sportscast remotely from home.

The interesting thing is that WPMI and WJTC's master control is inside WEAR's facility...so they HAVE to remain operational for the 4 stations in the market.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
updated info

2 hours ago, jerseyfla said:

The logo may look similar to KGTV and WJAR's old logos but I think it looks more like a knockoff of WFLA's 1982-1988 Spirit of Tampa Bay "Figure 8" logo. Kind of an odd looking logo for 2020.

WFLA 1982-2.png

WXFL.jpg

Given how uninspired and/or dire a lot of local TV logos have been the last 20 years or so, I'll take it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

Although the station hasn’t updated its listings to include which of WISH’s newscasts will be shown on its schedule, WHME has (mostly) disclosed which newscasts will be simulcast on the station on its website. On weekdays, WHME will carry all six hours of News 8 Daybreak (4:00-10:00 a.m.), its three-hour early evening news block (4:00-7:00 p.m.) and its late news block (10:00-11:30 p.m.). The only weekday newscast that WHME will not carry is the 11:00 a.m. midday show.

While it also noted it would carry WISH’s weekend newscasts, the page didn’t specify which ones; presumably, it will carry the full schedule (Saturday and Sunday editions of Daybreak, and the 6:00, 10:00 and 11:00 p.m. newscasts as well as the SportsLocker), although Family Broadcasting’s stations have usually filled much of their Sunday schedules with religious programming, so it’s possible that WHME may have to shuffle some of those shows around the schedule and maybe even drop some of the secular classic series that it airs on Sunday afternoons (or even a couple of the religious programs it airs at other parts of the day) to incorporate all of WISH’s Sunday newscasts.

This is what I was looking for.

2 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

I really thought we were going to see the reboot of "The Tube"... but, I guess it's not to be.

Or... The Tube Music Network. I wish THAT came back.

2 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

I’m thinking this is temporary. They closed the deal in the middle of coronavirus mania so it’s not really a good time to rebuild a station from scratch. Between news from KHOU, Tegna shows such as DBL and Sister Circle and syndie stuff not airing in Houston, there’s plenty available out there and I’m guessing they’ll roll things out when it calms down. Spending $15 million to buy a station that airs a straight simulcast of Quest makes zero sense. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Here's the official word about WEAR having to suspend local operations and simulcast WPMI newscasts...

https://weartv.com/news/local/changes-to-newscast-after-two-wear-employees-test-positive-for-covid-19

UPDATE:  It appears WEAR is only simulcasting the newscasts that WPMI carries, so the 4:30 AM show was replaced with another half hour of America This Morning.

They're currently running a presser from the state of Florida with no graphics at all, since their studio control room is off limits.

We'll see what they do at 11am, 4pm 9pm on WFGX, and the extra half-hour at 10pm.  Could this mean that Nightline airs LIVE for the first time in a generation?

(or they could do like they are allowed to do with NBC for now, and have BOTH WPMI and WEAR go for an hour...WPMI has not opted for this option)

UPDATES:

11am - Newscast from WPMI on WEAR. 

4pm- Mobile-based newscast with Kelly Foster anchoring  AND doing weather with WEAR reporters live out in the field from Pensacola.

5 & 6 - straight simulcast of WPMI newscasts -  Sue Straughn is live from the front yard of WEAR and co-anchors remotely.

9pm- no newscast on WFGX, replaced by Inside Edition

10pm - straight simulcast of WPMI with Bob Solarski in front of WEAR building co-anchoring with Greg Peterson in studio.  WEAR airs Inside Edition at 10:35 instead of taking ABC live.

10pm update

Posted (edited)

Checking back in with New Orleans and WGNO....News With A Twist appears to have been mothballed (for now) and (finally) replacing the news times with actual newscasts.

I know they've been the cellar dweller, but this needed to happen LONG before the COVID-19 pandemic took over, and ravaged places like New Orleans.

Over on WWL, Great Day Louisiana is still airing weekdays at 9, but shows are in repeats.

WWL info
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Schedule change for WTMJ must've literally been made overnight; the 3pm CT newscast has been restored temporarily with Scripps' Coronavirus: The Rundown airing at 3:30, Kelly Clarkson bumped back to 2pm and the 'running-on-Zoom' version of RightThisMinute and The List mothballed; in reality though, the WI governor's daily briefing has been airing at 1:30pm for an hour and Days of Our Lives has been split up to have its second half air after the briefing is over (Kelly does air overnights so it still airs no matter what, and WTMJ has basically worked with airing a RTM repeat in the afternoon and the original in late night lately if the governor wraps up early).

Edited by mrschimpf

Len Kiese mentioned on his Facebook that he is leaving WFTV and headed to KPIX to anchor the Morning and Noon show.

He replaces Kenny Choi who will go to reporting duties.

On 4/4/2020 at 8:12 PM, Samantha said:

Their Facebook & Twitter pages has changed its handle from "10NewsWTSP" to "10TampaBay". 

On 10/16/2019 at 1:00 AM, Samantha said:

In the "M&A we missed" department, there were three deals affecting stations in Wyoming. All three have not yet had their sale prices revealed as no filings have crossed the FCC.

KLWY-TV in Cheyenne, KFNB-TV, KWYF-LD and their dependent stations were sold to Coastal Television Broadcasting Company, LLC (apparently aka Front Range Television). The president and CEO of Coastal is William Fielder III.

KTWO-TV in Casper, as well as KKTQ-LD and its other dependent translators was acquired by Vision Alaska (Stephen Brissette, manager).

KGWC and its full-power satellites and translators were sold to Big Horn Television LLC (Michael Hogan, member). We don't know much about Big Horn Television but it is clearly related to the other two companies, having been incorporated the same day and being domiciled at the same address.

All three companies are incorporated in Delaware. Coastal (and Fielder) owns KTBY in Anchorage, Alaska, and WLOV in the Tupelo market. (WLOV's operations are handled by WTVA under LMA.) Vision Alaska owns the ABC Alaska system, which is LMA'd out to Coastal. Hogan appears to have no other holdings.

The deal will also see KJUD and KATN, which Coastal operates under time brokerage agreements, be assigned to Coastal proper.

So small follow up.

The FCC has greenlighted the KFNB (and satellites) Front Range transaction. But the KGWC (Big Horn) & KTWO (VIsion WY) is still pending.

Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2020 at 9:15 AM, T.L. Hughes said:

UPDATE: TV Guide and OnTVTonight have revised their listings for WHME to account for the added WISH simulcasts, and apparently, weekend news simulcasts will be limited in scope. The full schedule will consist of these newscasts:

* News 8 Daybreak - weekdays 4:00-10:00 a.m., Saturdays 5:30-7:00 a.m.
* News 8 at 4:00 - weekdays 4:00-5:00 p.m.
* News 8 at 5:00 - weekdays 5:00-6:00 p.m.
* News 8 at 6:00 - weekdays 6:00-7:00 p.m., Saturdays 6:00-6:30 p.m.
* News 8 at 10:00 - weeknights 10:00-11:00 p.m.
* News 8 at 11:00 - Monday-Saturdays 11:00-11:30 p.m.

Exempted newscasts are the Saturday 7:00-10:00 and Sunday 5:30-10:00 a.m. editions of Daybreak, the weekday 11:00 a.m. News 8 Midday (shown on WISH from 11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.), the Saturday editions of the 10:00 p.m. newscast and all Sunday newscasts (as well as The Sports Locker). Religious and secular programming as well as infomercials will continue to occupy WHME’s entire Sunday schedule.

BTW, WISH parent Circle City Broadcasting states that WHME will basically be the test springboard for a statewide news network to include simulcasting agreements with other Indiana television stations (in cities like Terre Haute, Evansville and Fort Wayne) that don’t have a news operation of their own. So, the WHME arrangement is likely to be a long-term thing.

Edited by T.L. Hughes

While WPMI is still producing WEAR's newscasts and simulcasting their own when both are on the air, WEAR talent is more prevalent now, especially during their own newscasts.

The shared ones are balancing content between Mobile and Pensacola.