Message added by Weeters

This thread will soon become "Comings and Goings", a thread targeted at talent and staff arrivals and departures. Please consider starting new threads for anything that does not fit this criteria. 
Click here for more information regarding the sunsetting of "general" threads.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I worked with a news anchor who battled an alcohol addiction. It's not just about someone having too much fun and getting carried away, there sometimes are much deeper issues we don't know about. My c

"...To Another Channel!"

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

It’s too bad COVID likely thwarted Scripps’ plans for an in-house news operation on WSFL.

I wonder if this could be a prelude to Scripps buying WPLG from BH Media.  Given the Miami market, it's an easy duopoly to form.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
12 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I wonder if this could be a prelude to Scripps buying WPLG from BH Media.  Given the Miami market, it's an easy duopoly to form.

They can't. Too many conflicts in SW Florida and WPB on top of already being on the cap limit due to scooping up ION

Edited by Yankees4life
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

They can't. Too many conflicts in SW Florida and WPB on top of already being on the cap limit due to scooping up ION

Berkshire Hathaway  helped Scripps to buy Ion, and I betcha that Scripps would gladly pawn the Ion Station in Mami on to Inyo if it meant getting WPLG from Berkshire Hathaway.

Edited by elfuego35
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
2 hours ago, elfuego35 said:

Berkshire Hathaway  helped Scripps to buy Ion, and I betcha that Scripps would gladly pawn the Ion Station in Mami on to Inyo if it meant getting WPLG from Berkshire Hathaway.

It's not just about the ION station. They own too many stations in the area in general. I don't see the FCC giving them a thumbs up unless BH wants to act like a sidecar for WPLG like Gray has for WFLX

26 minutes ago, Yankees4life said:

It's not just about the ION station. They own too many stations in the area in general. I don't see the FCC giving them a thumbs up unless BH wants to act like a sidecar for WPLG like Gray has for WFLX

SW Florida and West Palm Beach are separate markets, so that wouldn't cause any issues with the FCC. The only thing they would have to do is sell the ION station in Miami and possibly another one elsewhere to comply with the national ownership cap.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
24 minutes ago, broadcastfan9751 said:

SW Florida and West Palm Beach are separate markets, so that wouldn't cause any issues with the FCC. The only thing they would have to do is sell the ION station in Miami and possibly another one elsewhere to comply with the national ownership cap.

You are talking about the Miami and WPB markets which are not only adjacent, but have overlap in Broward County.  A lot would need to be unloaded in both markets.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
On 3/11/2021 at 1:27 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

I wonder that as well too and if WPLG gets under Scripps- WSVN running away #1-  NBC 6 & CBS 4 are bottom feeders in the market.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Forgot about the ION station, so even with Berkshire Hathaway's investment, that alone could be construed as dual ownership with WPLG, even if they end up selling to Inyo.

WPTV is irrelevant in the scheme of things since West Palm Beach (and Palm Beach County) is a totally separate market from Miami Fort-Lauderdale.  Broward County is part of the Miami Fort-Lauderdale Market and any overlap is only because of existing cable carriage and broadcast signal penetration.

Back in the day, the overlapping made sense because of the pre-emptions that stations made in both markets, and the subsequent affiliate swaps due to the signal contours being different.

So unless we hear otherwise, looks like we have another good old-fashioned news share agreement...

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 3
8 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Your reading this wrong. He celebrates 39 years at WDBJ and is beginning his 40th year there, having joined in 1982.

The folks in Roanoke shouldn’t jump the gun then. 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, ScottJ said:

The latest departure from WNYT is part-time meteorologist Allison Finch. Her last day was Sunday; she landed a full-time met gig at a station in Springfield, Mass.

That's my market. Better keep my eyes peeled.

19 hours ago, TheRob said:

Reminds me of the one time when the TV station is Oklahoma had to evacuate and the personalities wondering if they were going to survive.

Edited by Newsjunkie24