Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
TexasTVNews

Out & About

Weeters

Please keep all COVID-19 contingency speculation in the speculation board thread on the matter.

Message added by Weeters

Two things of note:

* WDRB anchor Lindsey Allen is leaving the station after 10 years to focus on taking care of her children; she is in her ninth month of pregnancy with her second child, and will depart the station on Valentine's Day (February 14).

* Longtime KOTV anchor/reporter Lori Fullbright is being inducted into to the Oklahoma Journalism Hall of Fame for its 50th inductee class.

KSWB sent Heather Lake on a cross country trip to Miami. But also, there were reporters there with their mic flag. That pic probably wasn't all of them.

Edited by Bsean
Forgot quote

7 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

Two things of note:

* WDRB anchor Lindsey Allen is leaving the station after 10 years to focus on taking care of her children; she is in her ninth month of pregnancy with her second child, and will depart the station on Valentine's Day (February 14).

* Longtime KOTV anchor/reporter Lori Fullbright is being inducted into to the Oklahoma Journalism Hall of Fame for its 50th inductee class.

I noticed that WJZY’s Diana Alvear has now returned from maternity leave with her second baby. Also today was Brigida Mack’s official debut on Good Day Charlotte.

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Morphtato said:

Sad news from Shreveport tonight as Bob Griffin passed away due to complications from an illness. https://www.ktbs.com/news/the-legend-bob-griffin/article_bda07e44-46f2-11ea-970a-13c3eb73815f.html

I watched him on both KSLA and KTBS. Met him once. He was amazing and he was very chill. He is a legend and he will be a part of the heart of Shreveport forever. 

R.I.P. Bob.

Its amazing that nothing can happen to you over your career (i.e. various things like buyouts, layoffs, firings, etc.) and yet, its something health-related that can take you off for good.

But its true sadly and here in this case, its the vocal chords that'll take Gayle Guyardo off-the-air for good. February 28th is her last day at WFLA/WTTA after working there for 26 and a half years.

https://www.wfla.com/8-on-your-side/news-channel-8s-gayle-guyardo-leaves-morning-news-to-rehab-her-vocal-chords/

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

I noticed that WJZY’s Diana Alvear has now returned from maternity leave with her second baby. Also today was Brigida Mack’s official debut on Good Day Charlotte.

Yeah, WJZY via Fox is definitely upping their stock in the news product. Good Day Charlotte seems to be more like their sister station WAGA's Good Day Atlanta, where there is aim to have contemporary music played particularly Billboard Hot 100 songs during the newscast bumpers.  Brigida is definitely a relatable personality and seems to bring appeal to the growing number of black professionals that are relocating to Charlotte.  It's going to be interesting how GDC evolves with Brigida there as well as Nick, Paige, and Jason are very relatable to younger viewers (25-45 year olds) in general.  This might be the right mix for the station to accelerate ratings growth for WJZY in the mornings.  This is also giving credence to the second thoughts because Charlotte is a significant growth and very competitive media market with growing household incomes.

Edited by jero23
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Looks like the RNN deal was completed last Friday. 

Would be nice to know what their plans are for those stations, including KFWD.

11 minutes ago, east-tx-tv said:

Would be nice to know what their plans are for those stations, including KFWD.

I can't really imagine much else. They'll just put their programming and try to make it an international news hub. They'll also add a few randoms subchannels in the mix to reel some people in...and that's about it 😂

Edited by Yankees4life

On 2/4/2020 at 9:12 AM, jero23 said:

Yeah, WJZY via Fox is definitely upping their stock in the news product. Good Day Charlotte seems to be more like their sister station WAGA's Good Day Atlanta, where there is aim to have contemporary music played particularly Billboard Hot 100 songs during the newscast bumpers.

I wish KTVU was like that in the mornings. They only play music on the 9am newscasts.

However, during the evening newscasts around the :43 mark of the hour, they tease a story and then a toss to the final weather check with a camera shot outside while using a song related to the story. For example if it’s a water skiing squirrel story, they will use like “Surfing USA.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SFTV said:

I wish KTVU was like that in the mornings. They only play music on the 9am newscasts.

However, during the evening newscasts around the :43 mark of the hour, they tease a story and then a toss to the final weather check with a camera shot outside while using a song related to the story. For example if it’s a water skiing squirrel story, they will use like “Surfing USA.”

KTVU's always had a business-oriented, no-BS format when it comes to morning news.

• Like 1

Laura Caso is joining WKYC in Cleveland from WAVY in Norfolk.  She will be joining Russ Mitchell on the 6pm newscast, and might pickup some more anchoring duties once Sara Shookman goes on maternity leave.

4 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

Laura Caso is joining WKYC in Cleveland from WAVY in Norfolk.  She will be joining Russ Mitchell on the 6pm newscast, and might pickup some more anchoring duties once Sara Shookman goes on maternity leave.

Another slap in the face to the more experienced anchors they already have in-house.  Also feels like an obvious demotion for Shookman, since they could’ve simply paired a new coanchor with Jim Donavan at 7.  (Or enlisted Danielle Serino,  but I’ll stop repeating myself.)

And that press release?  How many times do we have to say the 7pm broadcast is a “front row seat” to what’s happening...what’s new or what’s next?! 🤦🏻‍♂️

I'm probably 3 months late but Jeff Rossen from Today went to Hearst TV for their newly Consumer Reports unit in New York City. 

Just seen his first report today on WBAL TV.

Kristi Leigh is leaving WTOL after three years - leaving her hometown for the first time in her career for KMPH in Fresno, CA.

https://www.toledoblade.com/a-e/tv-radio/2020/02/10/wtol-anchor-kristi-leigh-headed-to-new-job-in-fresno/stories/20200210092

Now would be the time to hire someone with gravitas for their newscasts, but I fear they'll just go young and cheap (new hire Carla Bayron?).  At least with Leigh, there were local connections - and she certainly improved in the role.

Big loss for WTOL.

WWBT anchor/reporter Heather Sullivan is heading to Fox 26 in Houston. She tweeted this late last month...

Edited by tw-804