Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
TexasTVNews

Out & About

Weeters

This thread will soon become "Comings and Goings", a thread targeted at talent and staff arrivals and departures. Please consider starting new threads for anything that does not fit this criteria. 
Click here for more information regarding the sunsetting of "general" threads.

Message added by Weeters

Recommended Posts

Just for fun, here's a bagful of mic flags from Nexstar at the Super Bowl. They will have done more than 1,600 live shots by the end of Sunday. 

 

Image

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TheRob said:

Just for fun, here's a bagful of mic flags from Nexstar at the Super Bowl. They will have done more than 1,600 live shots by the end of Sunday. 

 

Image

 

Interesting how both WATN and WREG are in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, TheRob said:

Just for fun, here's a bagful of mic flags from Nexstar at the Super Bowl. They will have done more than 1,600 live shots by the end of Sunday. 

 

Image

John Kucko can't even do his mic flag garland anymore and that speaks a ton.

 

What would it take to demonize Perry Sook?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, memnews said:

 

Interesting how both WATN and WREG are in there.

Can’t believe they’re still doing that. They’ve got around 200 stations now. (Yes, I know not all of them air news.) It’s so small market and amateur. Do custom lives for the big markets and the others can use generic look lives. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big retirement in Houston. Bill Balleza left KPRC Friday night after 4 decades. He joined the station in 1980 as an anchor/reporter and had been the primary evening anchor since 1990. Here’s his farewell ...
 

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/02/01/final-farewell-bill-balleza-thanks-all-those-who-helped-throughout-his-40-year-career-at-kprc-2/

Edited by Greggo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, memnews said:

 

Interesting how both WATN and WREG are in there.

Why is WATN there? What station represents the First News at 9:00 mic flag? I don't remember that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Why is WATN there? What station represents the First News at 9:00 mic flag? I don't remember that one.

Looking at the pic closely, there's a little sticker where it states that city. It looks like its says "LACROSSE"

 

Yep. From the "wiproud" website....

First-PM-Update.png

Edited by CircleSeven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Why is WATN there? What station represents the First News at 9:00 mic flag? I don't remember that one.

It appears to be LaCrosse, WI (based on the sticker barely visible).

 

J

Edited by compubit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Greggo said:

Big retirement in Houston. Bill Balleza left KPRC Friday night after 4 decades. He joined the station in 1980 as an anchor/reporter and had been the primary evening anchor since 1990. Here’s his farewell ...
 

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/02/01/final-farewell-bill-balleza-thanks-all-those-who-helped-throughout-his-40-year-career-at-kprc-2/

 

I fully expect Keith Garvin to succeed him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TheRob said:

Just for fun, here's a bagful of mic flags from Nexstar at the Super Bowl. They will have done more than 1,600 live shots by the end of Sunday. 

 

Image

Lets say the reporter does a back to back live shot...from KRON to WIVB. Would Buffalo viewers even notice that the mic flags weren't switched out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TheRob said:

Just for fun, here's a bagful of mic flags from Nexstar at the Super Bowl. They will have done more than 1,600 live shots by the end of Sunday. 

 

Image

Also interesting the old and new WTEN logo are there. The old one was used for a live shot yesterday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think that's even all of the Nexstar mic flags. I don't see KSWB, KLAS, KXAN, or WNCN.

 

56 minutes ago, bhratbrat said:

I would assume KRON and WDAF sent there own team down. 

There's a KRON flag in the picture, which surprised me, but it could be there because it was easier to take the entire collection than to try to pull out the ones that won't be used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, we sent our own team and did our own live shots, as well as a few for the Kansas/Missouri Nexstar stations.

 

KRON and KTXL both sent their own crews. Nexstar assembled a team for the rest of the group, one set of reporters doing morning lives, and the other doing evening lives. They were doing live shots on three different paths simultaneously.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WKRG's mic flag is old, they replaced it when they changed to the CBS package 2 years ago.

 

For as penny-pinching a company Nexstar is, you would think that buying a single electronic LED mic flag that you could instantly change the logo on would be more cost effective than shipping and changing out hundreds of mic flags....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, TheRob said:

Just for fun, here's a bagful of mic flags from Nexstar at the Super Bowl. They will have done more than 1,600 live shots by the end of Sunday. 

 

Image

Funny thing I noticed: my local Nexstar station (WWLP) is there, but due to how the mic flag was placed, the logo that's most visible is that of the CW subchannel. You can still see the main WWLP logo, but it's a bit hard to make out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, djlynch said:

I don't think that's even all of the Nexstar mic flags. I don't see KSWB, KLAS, KXAN, or WNCN.

 

There's a KRON flag in the picture, which surprised me, but it could be there because it was easier to take the entire collection than to try to pull out the ones that won't be used.

No KFOR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

WKRG's mic flag is old, they replaced it when they changed to the CBS package 2 years ago.

 

For as penny-pinching a company Nexstar is, you would think that buying a single electronic LED mic flag that you could instantly change the logo on would be more cost effective than shipping and changing out hundreds of mic flags....

Fortunately for Nexstar, the next 2 Super Bowls, LV & LVI, will be in Tampa and Los Angeles respectively, so maybe on the following will happen:

 

Nexstar will ship a box full of flags to WFLA and KTLA

Purchase a croma key flag and let the control rooms handle the rest

Just use a generic flag with the Nexstar logo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FiveNews said:

Lets say the reporter does a back to back live shot...from KRON to WIVB. Would Buffalo viewers even notice that the mic flags weren't switched out?

 

WJW and WGHP are nearly identical logos.  I'm sure the average viewer couldn't tell the difference.  Even the variances both stations use make them virtually identical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Why is WATN there? What station represents the First News at 9:00 mic flag? I don't remember that one.

Not sure why, considering they're a TEGNA station now, but Jeez Louise does KTXL need some new mic flags.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's also two identical WJBF mic flags, and two ones for KSNT's Fox affiliate (FOX 43) next to each other with one in white plastic, and the other with black plastic.

Unless I'm missing some other FOX 43 somewhere (it's not WVBT and definitely not WPMT)....

 

And since "The Big Game" has begun, doe's anyone else's over-the-air picture look like garbage?  I'm watching on WALA and WXXV, and both pictures look very compressed.  I'm thinking it's a network thing, having to downconvert from 4K for all of the people streaming on their firesticks....

Edited by tyrannical bastard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

And since "The Big Game" has begun, doe's anyone else's over-the-air picture look like garbage?  I'm watching on WALA and WXXV, and both pictures look very compressed.  I'm thinking it's a network thing, having to downconvert from 4K for all of the people streaming on their firesticks....

I've noticed it too - a lot of ghosting. FOX OTA is still 720p, so I imagine they're trying to cut corners and only do one feed, native 4K for the apps, then downconvert for the stations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

There's also two identical WJBF mic flags, and two ones for KSNT's Fox affiliate (FOX 43) next to each other with one in white plastic, and the other with black plastic.

Unless I'm missing some other FOX 43 somewhere (it's not WVBT and definitely not WPMT)....

That's KTMJ in Topeka, part of their triopoly in that market where KSNT is the main newsgathering station.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

There's also two identical WJBF mic flags, and two ones for KSNT's Fox affiliate (FOX 43) next to each other with one in white plastic, and the other with black plastic.

Unless I'm missing some other FOX 43 somewhere (it's not WVBT and definitely not WPMT)....

 

And since "The Big Game" has begun, doe's anyone else's over-the-air picture look like garbage?  I'm watching on WALA and WXXV, and both pictures look very compressed.  I'm thinking it's a network thing, having to downconvert from 4K for all of the people streaming on their firesticks....

 

4 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

I've noticed it too - a lot of ghosting. FOX OTA is still 720p, so I imagine they're trying to cut corners and only do one feed, native 4K for the apps, then downconvert for the stations.

I thought the OTA feed looked bad as well.  Fox is producing the “4K feed” by upscaling a 1080p production and for the OTA broadcast downscaling from that 1080p production

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rkolsen said:

 

I thought the OTA feed looked bad as well.  Fox is producing the “4K feed” by upscaling a 1080p production and for the OTA broadcast downscaling from that 1080p production

 

Jeez....at least the other two networks are in 1080i that carry the Super Bowl, so there's less "conversion" involved....the interlacing is not as bad as the outright scaling of the picture down to 720 while keeping the same frame rate.

 

I had two sources to watch the game live on....WALA in Mobile and WXXV in Biloxi/Gulfport.  WALA has 3 other subchannels in SD, and WXXV has two others in 720p.  I used to complain that WXXV had an AWFUL picture quality trying to broadcast two 720p streams and a 480i (FOX & NBC and CW).  They've since made CW HD and the encoding has made all three streams much better.

 

I just hope we're not getting into a world where Broadcast TV loses the Super Bowl.  It's so prevalent in our daily lives, it's like our tax dollars are paying for it!🤣🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.