Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
TexasTVNews

Out & About

Weeters

This thread will soon become "Comings and Goings", a thread targeted at talent and staff arrivals and departures. Please consider starting new threads for anything that does not fit this criteria. 
Click here for more information regarding the sunsetting of "general" threads.

Message added by Weeters

20 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

Terrence Lee is leaving WEWS, and is headed for Chicago.  His final newscast on Good Morning Cleveland is February 7.

I wonder where in Chicago he is headed?

A couple of M&As. One is TV-related, the other is paper-related.

Lowcountry Media, owner of Savannah GA's Independent station WSCG is selling its station to religious broadcaster, TCT for $3M.

Lowcountry tried to sell the station last year to HC2 Holdings for $2.6M. But the deal fell through back in November, despite getting FCC approval that July.

WSCG was the former CW affiliate under the callsign WGSA.

Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway is selling its newspaper business to Lee Enterprises for $140M. Lee has been managing BH's papers since 2018.

As you may know, Buffett bought most of these papers from Media General in 2012.

5 hours ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

If it's as a reporter, it could be anywhere. If as an anchor, WBBM and WFLD have had job listings for awhile, though the former has recently taken down the position, implying that CBS 2 may have filled the position.

Edited by 24994J

5 hours ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

WFLD maybe? They've got a fresh opening after booting the previously suspended Rafer Weigel earlier this week.

WSBK/Boston has launched a one-hour 10PM weekday newscast, produced (as always) by sister station WBZ. The newscast is simulcast on CBSN Boston. This creates a four-way battle for supremacy in the time slot, with longtime leader WFXT and WHDH already vying with WCVB's half-hour newscast on its MeTV subchannel.

Edited by newsbot

1 hour ago, newsbot said:

WSBK/Boston has launched a one-hour 10PM newscast, produced (as always) by sister station WBZ. The newscast is simulcast on CBSN Boston. This creates a four-way battle for supremacy in the time slot, with longtime leader WFXT and WHDH already vying with WCVB's half-hour newscast on its MeTV subchannel.

Going back to its pre-2016 days. Plus, there's no weekend edition too.

• Like 1

Brittany McHatten is leaving WRGB/Albany after 4.5 years, most recently as the sports director, to join WABI in Bangor, Maine. She got married since joining WRGB, and she has been living apart from her husband, who works in communications at the University of Maine. She'll be a morning anchor at WABI, starting next month.

ABC News has suspended Matt Gutman for his big erroneous reporting on Sunday's tragic helicopter crash which he said that all 4 of Kobe Bryant's kids were killed. 

• Like 1

The only executive ever in the industry who ran ABC, CBS + NBC in a television landscape that was run basically by those aforementioned networks has passed away thursday at age 82. Fred Silverman was also a TV Producer with a life only some hotshots could only dream of. Who knew the infamous 'rural purge' could lead to programming greatness? I could list a slew of hit shows he launched but I could list some bombs as well. (Hello, Supertrain, Pink lady + Jeff?) Deadline explains it all below. There aren't many of his like out these days, let alone any executive. Godspeed, Mr Silverman: 

https://deadline.com/2020/01/fred-silverman-dies-legendary-tv-executive-producer-was-82-1202847035/

• Sad 6

1 hour ago, justin2kx said:

The only executive ever in the industry who ran ABC, CBS + NBC in a television landscape that was run basically by those aforementioned networks has passed away thursday at age 82. Fred Silverman was also a TV Producer with a life only some hotshots could only dream of. Who knew the infamous 'rural purge' could lead to programming greatness? I could list a slew of hit shows he launched but I could list some bombs as well. (Hello, Supertrain, Pink lady + Jeff?) Deadline explains it all below. There aren't many of his like out these days, let alone any executive. Godspeed, Mr Silverman: 

https://deadline.com/2020/01/fred-silverman-dies-legendary-tv-executive-producer-was-82-1202847035/

While most of his NBC efforts were his kryptonite (and not out-sucked until Jeff Zucker was in charge), he was a legend who redefined CBS and brought ABC into prominence in the 70s. 

He had a mess at NBC to clean up after some costly bombs before his tenure and losing the 1980 Summer Olympics to the US not participating.  

9 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

While most of his NBC efforts were his kryptonite (and not out-sucked until Jeff Zucker was in charge), he was a legend who redefined CBS and brought ABC into prominence in the 70s. 

He had a mess at NBC to clean up after some costly bombs before his tenure and losing the 1980 Summer Olympics to the US not participating.  

NBC got The Facts of Life out of the deal!

Silverman sowed the seeds that led to the big turnaround. The network was such a mess, it wasn't going to ve a quick fix.

It definitely was at it's nadir when Silverman was there.   But several of the shows he greenlit including Hill Street Blues began to thrive when Grant Tinker and Brandon Tartikoff took over.

Semi-related was the implosion of SNL at time, with Lorne Michaels leaving and Jean Doumanian replacing him.   Only Eddie Murphy survived the total recasting, and Al Franken lampooned Silverman in the infamous Limo for a Lame-O monologue, which cost him any chance of helming the show.  The death knell was Charles Rocket dropping the F-Bomb on air which got Doumanian and most of the cast ousted.

And perhaps the most infamous piece of Silverman's tenure was this....

(As an aside, broadcast tv has fallen so far that any network would kill to have an 18 rating/14 share these days)

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

the only network campaign of all network campaigns that got enhanced by an epic parody. Ever. And to have it aired on Imus in the morning back on WNBC radio at that time. Mind you it was meant to be circulated to just network staff + local affiliates on cassettes as a joke for holiday parties. I would be remiss not to mention the real jingle had the late, forever great Luther Vandross on the leading vocals.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

(As an aside, broadcast tv has fallen so far that any network would kill to have an 18 rating/14 share these days)

God, I love that song.

As an animation nut, I myself will mostly remember him as the guy who greenlit Scooby-Doo, which has gone on to become one of the longest-running franchises in the history of television, with new incarnations coming out to this day.

NBC did try to promote themselves like the other networks by the late 70s.   Looking at the stuff they were putting out in the early to mid 70s, it was very plain and boring.  The first sign of any real effort (aside from the trapezoid "N" logo) was in 1978 and NB-See-Us, followed by several years of Proud As A Peacock, which brought back a simpler peacock, combined with the "N" to create the "Proud N" which would last into 1986.

Silverman's tenure at CBS and ABC included a conceited effort to rebrand virtually every year and generate excitement for their programming.  NBC's lax efforts combined with stale and unfocused programming led to their fall and cratering, which Silverman was recruited to try and fix.  Unfortunately, many of these risks were even costlier and performed worse.  It said something when Redd Foxx was lured back to do a reboot of his original show, minus Demond Wilson.

Edited by tyrannical bastard

1 hour ago, MadMan400096 said:

God, I love that song.

As an animation nut, I myself will mostly remember him as the guy who greenlit Scooby-Doo, which has gone on to become one of the longest-running franchises in the history of television, with new incarnations coming out to this day.

They named Fred after him, which always struck me as odd, because Hanna-Barbera already had a Fred (Flintstone).

He also told them to do a series of shorts starring Moby Dick, the crime-fighting whale. Who had a sidekick, a seal named Scooby...who was also voiced by Don Messick.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, channel2 said:

They named Fred after him, which always struck me as odd, because Hanna-Barbera already had a Fred (Flintstone).

He also told them to do a series of shorts starring Moby Dick, the crime-fighting whale. Who had a sidekick, a seal named Scooby...who was also voiced by Don Messic

Casey Kasem (who also voiced Shaggy) was also the voice of NBC in the late 70s...I wonder if Silverman was responsible for this too?   

• Like 1

Let's not forget that in 1980, Silverman was responsible for pulling the plug on three daytime game shows; Hollywood Squares (Marshall), Chain Reaction (Cullen), and

High Rollers (Trebek) in favor for a 90-minute daytime show which only lasted four months.

15 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

Let's not forget that in 1980, Silverman was responsible for pulling the plug on three daytime game shows; Hollywood Squares (Marshall), Chain Reaction (Cullen), and

High Rollers (Trebek) in favor for a 90-minute daytime show which only lasted four months.

NBC kept one game show in its daytime lineup, Wheel of Fortune (Chuck & Susan).

In the annals of history, although Fred Silverman didn't make all of the right moves at the time, some of them led on to bigger and better things.

Flash forward to Jeff Zucker, and as he fell upward, everything he touched turned to 💩.  That followed him to CNN too.

If if wasn't for a certain reality show he helped launch, we may not have a certain orange-haired being in the oval office.

18 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

And before that, Silverman green-lit America Alive!, which killed The Gong Show and daytime Sanford and Son reruns. It was a talk-variety hour that would be considered "infotainment" in today's landscape with multiple hosts, including Jack Linkletter (Art's son) and Bruce Jenner (before he became Caitlin). It was live from New York, with remotes via satellite from Los Angeles and elsewhere on the East Coast, in front of a studio audience, and was a multi-million dollar flop that lasted just over five months on the air.