Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
TexasTVNews

Out & About

Weeters

Please keep all COVID-19 contingency speculation in the speculation board thread on the matter.

Message added by Weeters

1 hour ago, TheRolyPoly said:

The Live Well Network name is finally going away, years after ending national distribution and mainly being a repeat-focused lifestyle network.

Instead, it'll become ABC's Local-ish starting February 17th.

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/243676/abc-oos-localish-expands-with-diginet-rebranding/

LWN was well past its prime, a bygone network from the "health TV" craze of the late 2000s. I think being home to Pickler & Ben was the last time ABC breathed some kind of life into it.

5 hours ago, justin2kx said:

Lawd it makes NY's chasing news a 'pro' in production by comparison + even then it says a lot. Looks like it's filmed at some mancave basement, used for podcast rather for some conspiracy theory/right wing talk or some ish. I mean i see small WJR logo placed there.

It feels exactly that; they describe it as such...but in the end it's Yet Another Edited Radio Simulcast Show, with a bit of KDNL's late-and-not-missed Allman Report sprinkled in. I do not understand why even though this format has failed hard over and over again in markets big and small, stations continue to pursue it.

1 hour ago, TheRolyPoly said:

The Live Well Network name is finally going away, years after ending national distribution and mainly being a repeat-focused lifestyle network.

Instead, it'll become ABC's Local-ish starting February 17th.

A new coat of paint won't do much for them; they get rid of the now-irrelevant programming, but now it's replaced with what seems to be a loop of the auto-play pain that's carried between videos on ABC O&O sites.

1 hour ago, ns8401 said:

Soon to follow:

News-ish

Truth-ish

Worth Watching-ish

Fish-ish

Boring-ish

And introducing: Ish-ish

I think ABC’s motto must be “an ish in every home and 2 ish’s in every pot!”...

Don't forget... black-ish and grown-ish on The ABC Television Network.

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Don't forget... black-ish and grown-ish on The ABC Television Network.

1. grown-ish is on Freeform.

2. You left out mixed-ish.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

30 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

1. grown-ish is on Freeform.

2. You left out mixed-ish.

Shows you how much I don't know about television but know how much about television news. 😋 Its why I'm on this forum. Haha.

• Like 2

Would be interesting to see if Local-ish is eventually made available to other ABC stations besides the O/O's.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NewsMaster said:

Little off-beat, but since we're talking about the ABC O&O's, I'll put this out: most of the ABC O&O's meterologists met for a summit in NYC: https://twitter.com/abc7dallas/status/1220061479715721216?s=20

Surprised Cecily was only one from WPVI as it’s only an hour and half trek up the NJ Turnpike. Whose the guy in front of Jeff Smith?

6 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

Surprised Cecily was only one from WPVI as it’s only an hour and half trek up the NJ Turnpike. Whose the guy in front of Jeff Smith?

Drew Tuma, weekend evenings at KGO.

Some sad news to report. The great Jim Lehrer, the co-founder of the PBS NewsHour, has passed away of the age of 85. 

• Sad 12

43 minutes ago, AaronQ said:

Some sad news to report. The great Jim Lehrer, the co-founder of the PBS NewsHour, has passed away of the age of 85. 

In addition to his NewsHour role; Lehrer was known as the king of debate moderators, having moderated 12 general election debates between 1988 and 2012

WNYT has found their replacement for Greg Pollak, and has made history in doing so.

Allison Finch, a current senior at UAlbany graduating this May, is the first woman meteorologist that WNYT has ever had, a good 25ish years since WRGB and WTEN did similar.

Edited by scrabbleship

1 hour ago, scrabbleship said:

WNYT has found their replacement for Greg Pollak, and has made history in doing so.

Allison Finch, a current senior at UAlbany graduating this May, is the first woman meteorologist that WNYT has ever had, a good 25ish years since WRGB and WTEN did similar.

Really? I find that hard to believe. It took WNYT until 2020 to finally take that plunge?

14 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Really? I find that hard to believe. It took WNYT until 2020 to finally take that plunge?

They came from the same school of thought as KTVU and the 5 day forecast I guess...

Longtime KOTV anchor/reporter Rick Wells is retiring tonight after 30 years with the station. 

A career retrospective. Aired during tonight 6pm news. 

https://www.newson6.com/clip/14991764/rick-wells-stories-through-the-years

And his final piece for the station, one of his trademark "Hey, What's the Deal" segments. 

https://www.newson6.com/story/41605128/rick-wells-final-story-hey-whats-the-deal-with-baby-yoda

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, ns8401 said:

They came from the same school of thought as KTVU and the 5 day forecast I guess...

13 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

It's not that hard to believe. WNYT is a station which is still stuck in the 90s in many ways - that they kept their 1995 vintage set until 2018 is probably Exhibit A. They never have had a ticker at any time of the day, their morning newscast still starts at 5:00 versus 4:30, their use of WNYA pales to that of WRGB's of WCWN or WTEN's of WXXA even. Much of this is at the feet of their longtime GM, Steve Baboulis, who has been GM since Hubbard took over at 1996, was ND during their worst-to-dominant period, and has been at the station in some form since 1977. For all of the "when (Benita/Jim/Elaine/Bob/Rodger/et Al.) retires 13 will not be the same" talk,  when Steve calls it a career you know that stuff's going to go down at the hands of Hubbard...or whoever ends up with WNYT down the road.

The "one of the newest members" caption makes me wonder if something else is going to go down. Bob finally calling it a career and someone new doing noon/4:00? Neal Estano re-calling it a career and someone new going on mornings? This could get interesting.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 8:42 AM, scrabbleship said:

It's not that hard to believe. WNYT is a station which is still stuck in the 90s in many ways - that they kept their 1995 vintage set until 2018 is probably Exhibit A. They never have had a ticker at any time of the day, their morning newscast still starts at 5:00 versus 4:30, their use of WNYA pales to that of WRGB's of WCWN or WTEN's of WXXA even. Much of this is at the feet of their longtime GM, Steve Baboulis, who has been GM since Hubbard took over at 1996, was ND during their worst-to-dominant period, and has been at the station in some form since 1977. For all of the "when (Benita/Jim/Elaine/Bob/Rodger/et Al.) retires 13 will not be the same" talk,  when Steve calls it a career you know that stuff's going to go down at the hands of Hubbard...or whoever ends up with WNYT down the road.

The "one of the newest members" caption makes me wonder if something else is going to go down. Bob finally calling it a career and someone new doing noon/4:00? Neal Estano re-calling it a career and someone new going on mornings? This could get interesting.

This is a really good take on WNYT and even if you look at the new set they got a few years ago, it still resembles the old one in many ways and I do wonder how long before it starts to look dated especially with what WTEN & WRGB have. The lack of WNYT produced content on WNYA is shocking compared to what the others do on their sister station, though they do produce local sports shows on Saturday AM highlighting college sports teams for WNYA. 

Outside of this, their newscasts still place a much greater emphasis on national news than what WTEN produces, where 98% of the time national news/politics isn’t covered. 

The 2 new meteorologists will split Saturday and Sunday mornings and during the week, which is about the same shift Greg had before he left, according to posts from WNYT on social media. 

Transitioning to Super Bowl. Recognized some WFOR B-Roll shots of Miami used in some

opens for KPIX promos turning Miami into Red and Gold

Also all Sports Directors from Bay area were already in Miami maybe Also ESPN didn't have any of their main 11pm Anchors in to cover it but did have Scott Van Pelt in.

Edited by mgsports