Message added by Weeters

This thread will soon become "Comings and Goings", a thread targeted at talent and staff arrivals and departures. Please consider starting new threads for anything that does not fit this criteria. 
Click here for more information regarding the sunsetting of "general" threads.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I worked with a news anchor who battled an alcohol addiction. It's not just about someone having too much fun and getting carried away, there sometimes are much deeper issues we don't know about. My c

"...To Another Channel!"

Posted Images

After 8 years anchoring together at DC's #1 station (WRC) for the area's #1 morning newscast (News4 Today), Aaron Gilchrist and Eun Yang will be split up.

Aaron will be heading national full-time as anchor and correspondent for NBC News Now; he's occasionally subbed-in for MSNBC before so this won't be entirely new to him.

Eun will now be joined by Jummy Olabanji, who was originally the "live desk" anchor for the morning news but has since taken on a more significant role as morning co-anchor weeks at a time since the pandemic has caused the station's anchor lineup to rotate in and out of studio. The changes are expected to take place in January 2021.

[Source]

Edited by Roadrunner
7 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

After 8 years anchoring together at DC's #1 station (WRC) for the area's #1 morning newscast (News4 Today), Aaron Gilchrist and Eun Yang will be split up.

Aaron will be heading national full-time as anchor and correspondent for NBC News Now; he's occasionally subbed-in for MSNBC before so this won't be entirely new to him.

Eun will now be joined by Jummy Olabanji, who was originally the "live desk" anchor for the morning news but has since taken on a more significant role as morning co-anchor weeks at a time since the pandemic has caused the station's anchor lineup to rotate in and out of studio. The changes are expected to take place in January 2021.

[Source]

I remember Jummy Olabanji, from WTKR in Norfolk VA many years ago. I believe this change was made because of Allison Seymour going to WUSA 9 and Maureen Umeh on WTTG Fox 5. WRC wanted some continuity with those 2 stations.

2 hours ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

I believe this change was made because of Allison Seymour going to WUSA 9 and Maureen Umeh on WTTG Fox 5. WRC wanted some continuity with those 2 stations.

I do think Aaron and Eun were compatible, with Eun being like color commentator and Aaron being the straight man. But Jummy made a great addition to the team and she also works well with Eun. What I actually think this is a response to, is to the addition of Marissa Mitchell and (soon) Jeannette Reyes to Fox 5; they've reduced Maureen's presence a lot already. All three stations we've mentioned (WJLA who?) are pretty much targeting different portions of the audience at this point and I'm wondering if News4 can still tackle the increased competition like it has been as we approach the next few years. (Shawn Yancy make your announcements!)

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

[Source]

When was Aaron on MSNBC?

3 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

When was Aaron on MSNBC?

I had to search through his Instagram for this to remember when, but I found instances in 2018 (e.g. August, December). They weren't any major timeslots (seems like it was an occasional weekend morning slot), but he was on-air nonetheless.

• Like 2

A few departures from KNSD this week. Morning Anchor Greg Bledsoe's last day was today. Steven Luke will be taking his place:

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/goodbye-bledsoe-nbc-7-news-today-anchor-greg-bledsoe-says-farewell/2453919/?fbclid=IwAR2mqRkbz4h4dKZDMPzJb-eOcN4BeehEjRB1zTWI6zRLd2xXbwQrpN7B-SA&amp

Also, political reporter Danny Freeman is leaving for an opportunity on the East Coast. Priya Sriddar will take his place as political reporter:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CH5vEHngSM7/

1 hour ago, Bsean said:

Also, political reporter Danny Freeman is leaving for an opportunity on the East Coast. Priya Sriddar will take his place as political reporter:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CH5vEHngSM7/

Interesting. Probably just a coincidence, but he is the second "Politically Speaking" host to have originally come from the network to San Diego and then now...return to New York? He follows Alex Presha, who also came from NBC News and is now at ABC News. Perhaps Danny will chart that same path.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Interesting. Probably just a coincidence, but he is the second "Politically Speaking" host to have originally come from the network to San Diego and then now...return to New York? He follows Alex Presha, who also came from NBC News and is now at ABC News. Perhaps Danny will chart that same path.

Maybe... They seem to have known for a bit he was leaving because they had been referring to Priya as a political reporter as well for at least the last month and a half. I was thinking, I guess this election cycle is worthy of two political reporters, but turns out she was the replacement.

Well another CBS 46 Departure, this time it's Weekend Anchor and nightside reporter Brittany Miller leaving after 5 & 1/2 years there to go back to NYC to be closer to family. I can say personally this she will be missed here in the ATL as one of the better reporters i've seen come and go here in Atlanta.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIJyvjRBHft/

3 hours ago, ATLNEWS46 said:

Well another CBS 46 Departure, this time it's Weekend Anchor and nightside reporter Brittany Miller leaving after 5 & 1/2 years there to go back to NYC to be closer to family. I can say personally this she will be missed here in the ATL as one of the better reporters i've seen come and go here in Atlanta.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIJyvjRBHft/

Very good anchor but Brittany Miller rubbed a couple people the wrong way at WGCL (behind the scenes)......I'll reveal that story but that story has to come with at a **''Price''

**By Price, I don't mean money.

It seems like WGCL is cleaning house. A good bulk of staff has left since Steve Doer left.

Sharon Reed
Alicia Robert

Ayiana Cristal

Vince Simms

Mike Dunston

Molly McCollum

ect.

Edited by TheWatcherAtl

Re: WGCL... I am curious from insiders, has the new news director made anything better? Have folks warmed to him? Any other big talent or mgt changes in the works? Whos the new assistant ND?

Seems to me all he has done since he has been there, is pushed out a ton of people (including a few really good ones).. and renamed the morning show, which looks the same and still sucks.

Is his plan to simply make the station WCNC south? Cause that station sucks too. 

3 hours ago, newsman123 said:

Re: WGCL... I am curious from insiders, has the new news director made anything better? Have folks warmed to him? Any other big talent or mgt changes in the works? Whos the new assistant ND?

Seems to me all he has done since he has been there, is pushed out a ton of people (including a few really good ones).. and renamed the morning show, which looks the same and still sucks.

Is his plan to simply make the station WCNC south? Cause that station sucks too. 

Unfortunately, WGCL has kept that one female meteorologist who has made the news for all the wrong reasons, including posting a video agreeing with terminations and saying that the revamped morning show was centered around her.