Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
TexasTVNews

Out & About

Weeters

Please keep all COVID-19 contingency speculation in the speculation board thread on the matter.

Message added by Weeters

8 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

KXAS still uses their own chopper, Texas Sky Ranger. While KDFW, WFAA and KTVT have a shared news chopper.

Meanwhile, 200 miles to the north, KFOR (Nexstar), KOCO (Hearst), and KWTV (Griffin) have birds.

The B&C article states that KTVT will only produce the Detroit show (WKBD). 

The other two, WCBS will produce the Atlanta show (WUPA); and WFOR is going to produce the Tampa show (WTOG).

Edited by CircleSeven

44 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

The other two, WCBS will produce the Atlanta show (WUPA); and WFOR is going to produce the Tampa show (WTOG).

In regard to Tampa, what was so hard about getting WTSP to handle the news production? And then in Detroit, why not just rebuild everything again? I already know what people are going to say about that, and imo, it's no excuse.  They should have just stuck with it.

I sort of understand Atlanta given that WGCL already has WPCH to do news for but then again, WWBT has news on both WRLH and WUPV and even here in my market, KTAL does KMSS AND KSHV. 

I like the initiative but at the very least, have the respective CBS affiliates in that market (aside from Detroit) be involved in some way, even if you're just relying on them for certain things. I guess this is just how the cookie crumbled though. 

Edited by ColtFromGulfcoast

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

I guess the CW O&O in Seattle (KSTW) is not mentioned on those plans, but then again, neither is WFOR's sister station, MyNetworkTV affiliate WBFS or KTVT's independent sister station KTXA.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, detroiter313 said:

I guess the CW O&O in Seattle (KSTW) is not mentioned on those plans, but then again, neither is WFOR's sister station, MyNetworkTV affiliate WBFS or KTVT's independent sister station KTXA.

KPIX only produces minute weather forecasts on KSTW

Any idea if they plan to at least have the anchors in the cities?

I mean, it wouldn't be difficult to put a Televator and a PTZ in front of a monitor and fibre it back to the stations.  That's what CBC and Citytv do up here (and one CTV2 station).

DC News: News 4- WRC Sports Anchor: Sherree Burruss has left the station and now working with CBSHQ in CT & NYC.

She joins the reins of Dianna Rossini another DC sports anchor favorite to leave WRC and head for the national spotlight.

Article Source: Washington Post https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/01/10/sports-anchor-sherree-burruss-goes-national-after-wonderful-three-years-nbc-washington/

1 hour ago, Northerner said:

Any idea if they plan to at least have the anchors in the cities?

I mean, it wouldn't be difficult to put a Televator and a PTZ in front of a monitor and fibre it back to the stations.  That's what CBC and Citytv do up here (and one CTV2 station).

The whole point is to do this as cheaply as possible. Why have locally based anchors when you can use folks from KTVT, WCBS and WFOR? Mix reports from a couple local MMJs on the ground in Detroit/Atlanta/Tampa with stuff pulled from the feeds and -- voila! -- you've filled an hour for next to nothing largely using existing staff.

Just watch as these newscasts bomb against the established news shows in their respective markets. I don't think audiences will take to this, especially if they're not even making the newscasts within the market.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MadMan400096 said:

Just watch as these newscasts bomb against the established news shows in their respective markets. I don't think audiences will take to this, especially if they're not even making the newscasts within the market.

Even with a .5 or a 1 rating, which is probably about all they could realistically expect, if even, they can still rake in plenty of political ad dollars in 2020. After that, maybe they cancel. Maybe not. Candidates like to buy into news, primarily. Someone above asked why they aren't doing news on KTXA and WBFS? In both those markets, CBS already has newscasts it can sell into: KTVT and WFOR.

23 minutes ago, MadMan400096 said:

Totally agree. Who thought "let's produce a newscast for cities hundreds of miles away that are already competitive enough"?? Whoever did needs their head checked out 😂

Edited by jbnews
  • Like 1

Looks like CBS wants complete control of this so they can start expanding their CBSN apps into these cities.  Roping affiliates into it would make it more complicated and expensive, despite competing against them in Atlanta and Tampa, and "re-establishing" in Detroit.

1 hour ago, Greggo said:

Even with a .5 or a 1 rating, which is probably about all they could realistically expect, if even, they can still rake in plenty of political ad dollars in 2020. After that, maybe they cancel. Maybe not. Candidates like to buy into news, primarily. Someone above asked why they aren't doing news on KTXA and WBFS? In both those markets, CBS already has newscasts it can sell into: KTVT and WFOR.

However, I do have a feeling though that once CBSN DFW and CBSN Miami launches, you'll be seeing an hour-long newscast from the service on both KTXA and WBFS, respectively.

2 hours ago, Greggo said:

KTXA did have a prime time newscast starting when they went back to being an independent in 2006 up until 2011. It started as a 2 hour broadcast before eventually being cut to one hour (it was cancelled soon after).

This has to be purely for political dollars, or Seattle would be in the mix. CBS is probably kicking themselves for tossing WGNT (Virginia/NC) and WTVX (West Palm). Only show I could see surviving after the election is the one in Atlanta. And don't they already HAVE local cut-ins in Detroit? Why not test the waters again with WWJ and maybe increase your returns?

That all aside, If you had asked me the company that would try this first in major markets, my first guess would not have been CBS.

Speaking of the CBSNs, all CBSN Minnesota is right now is reruns of WCCO newscasts. Wonder if they’ll get with the program and produce original newscasts like New York, Los Angeles, Boston, and Bay Area are doing.

Edited by Georgie56

I saw where AJC Radio and TV Talk picked up the story about CBS looking for to do local CW affiliate 10PM newscasts.  https://www.ajc.com/blog/radiotvtalk/the-starting-hybrid-local-cbs-national-news-program-february/9ZyHFtJP9nOeDtCBfsL6YO/

I'd agree with others about Detroit that it wouldn't hurt CBS to restart WWJ news department from scratch.  Stations doing local news is cheaper to produce and more profitable, even if the ratings aren't the absolute best.  I also noticed Seattle being missing.  I have yet to see on-air promos on WUPA promoting new nightly 10PM newscast.

Well then. Looks like I gotta plan on updating WKBD/WWJ & WTOG's compilation. Never would I thought WTOG would bring back their newscast. This is surprising news.

Edited by ChocoMingo

26 minutes ago, ChocoMingo said:

Well then. Looks like I gotta plan on updating WKBD/WWJ & WTOG's compilation. Never would I thought WTOG would bring back their newscast. This is surprising news.

To put it into perspective... its been 7 years since WKBD has aired a newscast, 15 years since WUPA has aired a newscast and yes... 22 years since WTOG has aired a newscast which was their former news department that ended in 1998.

• Like 1