Out & About

TexasTVNews

A few departures from KNSD this week. Morning Anchor Greg Bledsoe's last day was today. Steven Luke will be taking his place:

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/goodbye-bledsoe-nbc-7-news-today-anchor-greg-bledsoe-says-farewell/2453919/?fbclid=IwAR2mqRkbz4h4dKZDMPzJb-eOcN4BeehEjRB1zTWI6zRLd2xXbwQrpN7B-SA&amp

Also, political reporter Danny Freeman is leaving for an opportunity on the East Coast. Priya Sriddar will take his place as political reporter:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CH5vEHngSM7/

1 hour ago, Bsean said:

Also, political reporter Danny Freeman is leaving for an opportunity on the East Coast. Priya Sriddar will take his place as political reporter:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CH5vEHngSM7/

Interesting. Probably just a coincidence, but he is the second "Politically Speaking" host to have originally come from the network to San Diego and then now...return to New York? He follows Alex Presha, who also came from NBC News and is now at ABC News. Perhaps Danny will chart that same path.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Interesting. Probably just a coincidence, but he is the second "Politically Speaking" host to have originally come from the network to San Diego and then now...return to New York? He follows Alex Presha, who also came from NBC News and is now at ABC News. Perhaps Danny will chart that same path.

Maybe... They seem to have known for a bit he was leaving because they had been referring to Priya as a political reporter as well for at least the last month and a half. I was thinking, I guess this election cycle is worthy of two political reporters, but turns out she was the replacement.

Well another CBS 46 Departure, this time it's Weekend Anchor and nightside reporter Brittany Miller leaving after 5 & 1/2 years there to go back to NYC to be closer to family. I can say personally this she will be missed here in the ATL as one of the better reporters i've seen come and go here in Atlanta.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIJyvjRBHft/

3 hours ago, ATLNEWS46 said:

Well another CBS 46 Departure, this time it's Weekend Anchor and nightside reporter Brittany Miller leaving after 5 & 1/2 years there to go back to NYC to be closer to family. I can say personally this she will be missed here in the ATL as one of the better reporters i've seen come and go here in Atlanta.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIJyvjRBHft/

Very good anchor but Brittany Miller rubbed a couple people the wrong way at WGCL (behind the scenes)......I'll reveal that story but that story has to come with at a **''Price''

**By Price, I don't mean money.

It seems like WGCL is cleaning house. A good bulk of staff has left since Steve Doer left.

Sharon Reed
Alicia Robert

Ayiana Cristal

Vince Simms

Mike Dunston

Molly McCollum

ect.

Edited by TheWatcherAtl

Re: WGCL... I am curious from insiders, has the new news director made anything better? Have folks warmed to him? Any other big talent or mgt changes in the works? Whos the new assistant ND?

Seems to me all he has done since he has been there, is pushed out a ton of people (including a few really good ones).. and renamed the morning show, which looks the same and still sucks.

Is his plan to simply make the station WCNC south? Cause that station sucks too. 

3 hours ago, newsman123 said:

Re: WGCL... I am curious from insiders, has the new news director made anything better? Have folks warmed to him? Any other big talent or mgt changes in the works? Whos the new assistant ND?

Seems to me all he has done since he has been there, is pushed out a ton of people (including a few really good ones).. and renamed the morning show, which looks the same and still sucks.

Is his plan to simply make the station WCNC south? Cause that station sucks too. 

Unfortunately, WGCL has kept that one female meteorologist who has made the news for all the wrong reasons, including posting a video agreeing with terminations and saying that the revamped morning show was centered around her.  

On 11/15/2020 at 9:09 AM, ScottJ said:

Jim Kambrich is retiring after 41 years in broadcasting, the last 26 years at WNYT; December 4 will be his last day at the station. His wife started a new job in NYC in July and has been going back and forth between there and the Albany area since, so they will be moving to NYC full-time.

Here's the video of his announcement via WNYT's Facebook page.

On Jim's last day at WNYT, reporter Mark Mulholland confirms he will slide into Jim's chair on the 5 and 6pm newscasts. I haven't seen information about who will take over the 11.

• Like 1

Looks like WNYT has made a partial decision to fill the big shoes being left after Jim Kambrich retires tonight. They've made a solid pick here, Mark Mulholland has gone from weekend sports to (after an absence) running the Saratoga Newsroom to now weeknights on the anchor desk.

Edited by scrabbleship
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

WEAR is temporarily producing newscasts for their cross-market "competitor" WPMI, as they have had a COVID-19 case shut down the station.

Back in March, WPMI did the same for WEAR when they had a station employee test positive.

WEAR TV and WPMI TV are sister stations.

On 12/5/2020 at 9:17 AM, CubsFan79 said:

WEAR TV and WPMI TV are sister stations.

Separate operations, aside from Master Control and other hubbed functions done from Pensacola and elsewhere.

It looks like they produced separate pre-recorded newscasts for WPMI yesterday.  They had Rachael Wilkerson anchoring from a remote location (they have a bureau in Loxley, AL, roughly halfway between Mobile and Pensacola) and the other segments originating from WEAR.  Since ABC had football, they did their own WEAR newscast as before.

On Friday, they simply added anchor Kym Anderson from the bureau alongside the WEAR anchors (in boxes), and the it was simulcast on both stations.  The WPMI 10pm show simply cut off at 10:35 to join the Tonight Show, while WEAR continued as normal as they do for their hour-long 10pm show.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CLT-DCA-ORF-PTI said:

Speculation not over. Where exactly are they going to fit her into that already jam-packed evening lineup? Most stations seem to be making cuts, this one just keeps adding. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Speculation not over. Where exactly are they going to fit her into that already jam-packed evening lineup? Most stations seem to be making cuts, this one just keeps adding. 

Something tells me that someone is about to retire within the next year or two; or at the very least scale back their duties. Maybe Doreen is thinking of only doing the 6pm broadcast and relinquishing the 11pm show. In that case I could see Shawn being added at 11p.

Or

Pat & Shawn  at 4p

Wendy and Jim at 5p

Leon and Doreen at 6p

Doreen and Jim at 11p

Most of WRC’s evening talent has been there 20-30+ years so it’s not out of the question that someone may retire soon. 

Edited by NYPhillynews

Someone also brought up Bruce Johnson retiring from WUSA at year's end and that there could have been a chance of her going there to join Lesli, but of course, we now know she didn't (and that FTVLive's little birdies were right again lol). 

In the tweet below, it mentions she will join beginning with the 4PM lineup (and that was anchored mainly by Leon and Pat pre-COVID):

TVSpy wrote that she will also be a "special reports correspondent" in addition to being an evening anchor, so that tells me slotting her somewhere precise could be secondary and that for the time being, she could initially have more of an report-heavier role as opposed to what we see from other anchors. Again, could totally be wrong; these thoughts are just my speculation. And that's not to forget that their existing evening COVID anchor lineups have not been consistent day-to-day/week-to-week due to WFH, medical (e.g. Wendy), and other various reasons. But I agree that at some point, of the five anchors, one is likely to retire in 2021, methinks? I'm glad to see NBC4 actually seemingly thriving, but anything comes with a cost.

1 hour ago, NYPhillynews said:

Pat & Shawn  at 4p

Wendy and Jim at 5p

Leon and Doreen at 6p

Doreen and Jim at 11p

So with everything I wrote (really just a jumbling of words), this makes a lot of sense for what they could start out with IMO.

It appears that WPMI is "somewhat" back in their studios as of yesterday.  They have had anchors and weather people in their studio, but the shows are still being run out of WEAR.

It looks like they may have taken a personnel hit from this COVID case that shut down the station.  It's possible the crew could be in quarantine that normally runs their newscasts.

Diane Deaton from WAFB is retiring after 37 years as meteorologist at the Baton Rouge station.

Her current role is morning meteorologist and her last day is December 18.

Steve Caparotta will fill her spot after her departure.

Deaton, among many others, deserves a nice, long break from the hurricane season from hell, whose scale none of us could have truly anticipated.

So for all of the work and sleepless nights Gulf & East coast meteorologists had to deal with this past summer and fall, I raise a huge glass to them. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Diane Deaton from WAFB is retiring after 37 years as meteorologist at the Baton Rouge station.

Her current role is morning meteorologist and her last day is December 18.

Steve Caparotta will fill her spot after her departure.

Deaton, among many others, deserves a nice, long break from the hurricane season from hell, whose scale none of us could have truly anticipated.

So for all of the work and sleepless nights Gulf & East coast meteorologists had to deal with this past summer and fall, I raise a huge glass to them. 

Or for the past few years for that matter.

On 9/3/2020 at 6:02 AM, scrabbleship said:

Bumping because there has been some confirmation of who did what. In a year end piece for the local publication Seasons of ConnecticutDennis House confirms that WFSB laid him off. (link is to a PDF, relevant statement is on page 44).

This might be more at home in the Meredith thread, but how bad off would WFSB have been to lay off who arguably was the face of their station with no avenue to a replacement. Especially with everything else going on - pandemic, election, societal strain, trauma from Denise's passing. 

• Like 1