Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
TexasTVNews

Out & About

Weeters

This thread will soon become "Comings and Goings", a thread targeted at talent and staff arrivals and departures. Please consider starting new threads for anything that does not fit this criteria. 
Click here for more information regarding the sunsetting of "general" threads.

Message added by Weeters

On 12/16/2019 at 10:31 PM, 8Viewer said:

In the Tampa Bay area, there were rumors circulating that WLCY would lose its ABC affiliation and WFLA was in talks to pick it up. That was about the time Rahall sold the station. 

All of the conditions that led ABC to switch to KSTP, WSB, WSOC, WTLV, WSAV, WBRZ, and KOMU were present in the Tampa Bay market. I wonder what made WFLA decide to stay with NBC; and WIS and WSFA for that matter.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TheOneManHerd said:

All of the conditions that led ABC to switch to KSTP, WSB, WSOC, WTLV, WSAV, WBRZ, and KOMU were present in the Tampa Bay market. I wonder what made WFLA decide to stay with NBC; and WIS and WSFA for that matter.

Good question. I'll have to see if I can find the article(s) again. I just know that ABC put WLCY "on notice" and that ABC was rumored to be wooing WFLA. There was a later article from '81 I think where the president of ABC said they were much happier after WTSP built a new transmitter. The WLCY-TV situation is pretty unique and a long discussion, but basically they were appealing to the FCC as early as 1967 for a new transmitter location since nearly half the market couldn't receive channel 10. The station was a "dog" and the ratings were proof

In May 1978, these were the 11 o'clock Tampa sweeps numbers:

WTVT  43 share, WFLA 33 share, WLCY 11 share

WTOG got a better share of the market than the ABC affiliate!

Edited by 8Viewer

1 hour ago, 8Viewer said:

Good question. I'll have to see if I can find the article(s) again. I just know that ABC put WLCY "on notice" and that ABC was rumored to be wooing WFLA. There was a later article from '81 I think where the president of ABC said they were much happier after WTSP built a new transmitter. The WLCY-TV situation is pretty unique and a long discussion, but basically they were appealing to the FCC as early as 1967 for a new transmitter location since nearly half the market couldn't receive channel 10. The station was a "dog" and the ratings were proof

In May 1978, these were the 11 o'clock Tampa sweeps numbers:

WTVT  43 share, WFLA 33 share, WLCY 11 share

WTOG got a better share of the market than the ABC affiliate!

From my readings, I believe that channel 10 in Tampa had to build their stick further north than the others Tampa stations as to protect WPLG in Miami. This is the reason that WLXT (WWSB) went with ABC when they signed on in 1971.

• Like 1

Ever since Bill Green retired from WCSH/WLBZ last month there was some question as to who, if anyone, would pick up the mantle of chronicling the state of Maine on a weekly basis. It appears WMTW may be taking baby steps towards establishing their own franchise. Veteran WMTW anchor/reporter Steve Minich hosts "Total Maine with Steve Minich" on WMTW sister station WPXT on January 4th.  So far it's only a OTO compilation of content that has already appears on weekday newscasts. Despite WMTW and WPXT being Hearst stations, they didn't bother with the Chronicle branding (which WMTW uses infrequently for hour-long "specials" which preempt ABC prime time programming.)

Edit:
Kind of inauspicious start if you ask me (they aired it instead of their usual 7PM newscast that would ordinarily air in the time slot whenever there's a sports overrun on WMTW.) Typical half-hearted Hearst Portland move.

Edited by newsbot

KOCO has an opening for a meteorologist...but since it was a female that left they may hire another lady.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ScottSchell said:

Mike Grogan has left KOTV after 9 years Christmas night was his last broadcast hasn't announced yet where he will be heading next.

29 minutes ago, edladd said:

KOCO has an opening for a meteorologist...but since it was a female that left they may hire another lady.

Interesting timing--I will say. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

Interesting timing--I will say. 

37 minutes ago, edladd said:

Plus KAMR in Amarillo is also hiring for a Meteorologist since Britany Trumpy left for Myrtle Beach. And I believe KXXV in Waco is also.

Edited by ScottSchell
  • Like 2

This doesn't involve New Orleans or a plane crash, but still very sad nonetheless... WAFF 48 reporter Allen Stroud has passed away after a year-long battle with Stage IV lung cancer.

https://www.waff.com/2019/12/29/waff-reporter-allen-stroud-passes-away-following-fight-with-cancer/

Edited by TheRolyPoly
  • Sad 2

Just heard Starcrossed during the Niner and Seahawks Game. They were using some parody Price is Right graphics for Marshawn Lynch’s stats 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, SFTV said:

Just heard Starcrossed during the Niner and Seahawks Game. They were using some parody Price is Right graphics for Marshawn Lynch’s stats 

20191229_210403.jpg

• Like 1

Today, January 2, 2020, is the 25th anniversary of the affiliation switches in Boston and Baltimore that was the result of the Westinghouse-CBS alliance.

In Boston, the switch was straightforward, Group W's WBZ dropped NBC to join CBS while Sunbeam's WHDH departed CBS to join NBC.

In Baltimore, the switch was a little more complicated, Scripps' WMAR went from NBC to ABC, Hearst's WBAL dropped CBS and rejoined NBC, and Group W's WJZ left ABC for CBS.

As posted in Discord, KOKH Meteorologist Marcy Novak's last on-air date is today (January 2nd) she is leaving the broadcasting business after 13 years and will be spending time with her newborn babies. According to her Facebook post, her husband got a new job in the Dallas/Fort Worth area https://twitter.com/Marcynovakwx/status/1212555372495552513?s=19

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, newsbot said:

WHDH/WLVI/WSVN owner Ed Ansin says he wants to die with his boots on - and he's gunning to swipe the FOX affiliation in Boston away from Cox/Apollo's WFXT
https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2020/01/01/whdh-owner-ansin-still-charge-want-die-with-boots/OUdRVkqeC7AtU5c1YGlr4J/story.html

With Miami now safe, and Boston 25 in a bit of an identity crisis, he'd be smart to tie any swap to a new agreement for WSVN. They're still the top FOX affiliate in the country, and FOX got burned once in Charlotte with an O&O - I'm sure they'd be happy with an upgrade in Boston.

Edited by TSSZNews