Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
TexasTVNews

Out & About

Weeters

This thread will soon become "Comings and Goings", a thread targeted at talent and staff arrivals and departures. Please consider starting new threads for anything that does not fit this criteria. 
Click here for more information regarding the sunsetting of "general" threads.

Message added by Weeters

3 hours ago, MikePulse said:

Just saw this on Facebook. Definitely a shocker.

Wonder if (if they haven't done so) WJW had any mention of her passing since Denise was an anchor there for a good chunk of the 1980s.

9 minutes ago, WAVY 10 Fan said:

Just saw this on Facebook. Definitely a shocker.

Wonder if (if they haven't done so) WJW had any mention of her passing since Denise was an anchor there for a good chunk of the 1980s.

WJW did post an article mentioning her passing. https://fox8.com/2019/12/07/former-fox-8-anchor-denise-dascenzo-passes-away/

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Morphtato said:

WJW did post an article mentioning her passing. https://fox8.com/2019/12/07/former-fox-8-anchor-denise-dascenzo-passes-away/

WJW just mentioned it on air by anchor Bill Sheil.

This photo hangs in the hallway in at WJW with

Dick Goddard, Denise D' Ascenzo, Tim Taylor and Casey Coleman.

20191208_003351.jpg

Edited by news89
  • Sad 6

Not sure if this video has been posted yet anywhere on TVNT, but thought I'd get this on here.  This is the announcement as made on WFSB's air earlier this evening.  Very sad.

Edited by TheRyan
  • Sad 7

A few days ago WMC weekend sports anchor Sudu Upadhyay announced on social media he'll be leaving the station after year's end. He'll be headed to Atlanta.

epWtDwn.png

Hartford, CT... Southern New England... WFSB-TV... and Channel 3 Eyewitness News will never be the same without Denise D'Ascenzo.

Thoughts, prayers and condolences go out to her family and to Denise's extended family at Channel 3 Eyewitness News. Denise contributions and dedication throughout

the Hardford and Southern New England area were prospectively and respectfully great. And I know many of her fans and loyal viewers are sad, heartbroken and devastated

of her unexpected death... she'll emotionally will be missed.

Rest in Peace, Denise... God bless you, and Godspeed.

Edited by TexasTVNews
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, hmaxhanson said:

Clearly Deadline forgot a lot, such as her husband of 33 years (which was why she left WJW for WFSB) and their college age daughter.

https://www.courant.com/breaking-news/hc-br-wfsb-denise-dascenzo-dies-20191208-2lu3tjuqeve5fmt3cw4cjrasq4-story.html

• Like 1

One question I have about her that I haven't found a clear answer to:   What years did she work at WIXT?

30 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

One question I have about her that I haven't found a clear answer to:   What years did she work at WIXT?

By process of elimination, I would guess 1980-82. If she was 61, that would've put a college graduation of 1980 and her arrival at then-WJKW was in 1982.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

By process of elimination, I would guess 1980-82. If she was 61, that would've put a college graduation of 1980 and her arrival at then-WJKW was in 1982.

Thank you

3 hours ago, TheRyan said:

Thank you

Denise joined TV8 in late 1983 per this story in the PD. Along with some kind words from Virgil Dominic former ND/GM at TV8.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2019/12/former-channel-8-anchor-denise-dascenzo-dies-at-61.html

This was on Scott Sabol fbook fan page.

Posted in 2017.

FB_IMG_1575861553019.jpg

Edited by news89
  • Like 3

WFSB is reporting in a late update Sunday night...

"Her family believes she died of a massive heart attack."

That stuns me because it looks like she didn't have any massive health problems as of recently.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

That stuns me because it looks like she didn't have any massive health problems as of recently.

I took the liberty of rewatching her last newscast on Saturday night after the news broke while NewsOn still had it up. She looked fine at that time which makes this even more shocking especially since if there was a family history she sure, as a health reporter, wasn't vocal about it.

6 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

I took the liberty of rewatching her last newscast on Saturday night after the news broke while NewsOn still had it up. She looked fine at that time which makes this even more shocking especially since if there was a family history she sure, as a health reporter, wasn't vocal about it.

• Like 1

Heart attacks are silent killers. She may have looked fine on the outside, but you never know what is going on inside.

I'd be very interested to see how Hemmer does in that hour, I do wonder if he'll lead the Special Reports and Breaking News coverage for Fox or will that go to somebody else?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

I'd be very interested to see how Hemmer does in that hour, I do wonder if he'll lead the Special Reports and Breaking News coverage for Fox or will that go to somebody else?

According to other reports, yes, he'll also assume those roles.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think Bill Hemmer will be a good fit.  He's good with keeping biases out of the equation in his reporting.  I think it's a job well deserved for him.

• Like 2

New M&A. I should call this a small M&A because it doesn't involve a major TV station. But the price tag is "somewhat" big.

RNN National (owners of WRNN-TV) is acquiring eight NRJ TV stations for $81.2M.

The stations they're acquire are as follows:

• KSCI Long Beach - (NRJ will continue to own sister station KNLA-CD)
  • KCNS San Francisco - (NRJ will continue to own sister station KTNC-TV)
  • KIKU Honolulu
  • WMFP Foxborough - (will duopoly with WWDP)
  • WTVE Willow Grove, PA - (will duopoly with WMCN)
  • WPHY-CD Trenton
  • KUBE Baytown, TX
  • KFWD Dallas

I don't know what RNN is going to do with these stations other than keeping the "Revenue Frontiers" alive. Their parent station (WRNN) run infomercials most of the day.

And if NRJ Is cashing out, they might as well give up KTNC & KNLA to RNN as well.

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

RNN National (owners of WRNN-TV) is acquiring eight NRJ TV stations for $81.2M.

I don't know what RNN is going to do with these stations other than keeping the "Revenue Frontiers" alive. Their parent station (WRNN) run infomercials most of the day.

What was done to WRNN 20 years ago was just wrong. They had a great reputation in the Hudson Valley and the Frenches decided that being a miniscule fish in a tiny pond was better than being a huge fish in a smaller pond. The Hudson Valley is an odd place and if it had the signals it could easily be larger than the other sub-100 NYS markets while not costing NYC its #1 position.

I'm thinking these are a means to park the cash they got from selling the spectrum of WRNN. The elder French is pushing 80, his sons have spent most if not of all of their adult lives inside the family ecosystem, but who knows what economical or regulatory changes could happen. 

1 hour ago, TexasTVNews said:

With RNN National acquiring 8 NRJ stations, this mean KFWD would drop SonLife and go back on being a independent station?

RNN is a useless slot on the Altice cable line up.  All they show are informercials.  And although the signal is in HD, most of what they "broadcast" is not.  I guess the mark ups from what people buy and the share the French family gets in addition to the paid time justifies the cost of broadcasting.