Out & About

TexasTVNews

WGCL has rebranded their morning show as “Wake Up Atlanta.”

Edited by Nelson R.
Wrong Atlanta station...ooops...would’ve made more sense for it to be WXIA to match sister station WCNC’s “Wake Up Charlotte.”

1 minute ago, newsman123 said:

The morning show looks exactly the same.

And is that the new news director’s strategy? Repeat everything he did in Charlotte?

So he came from WCNC? So that’s why it’s Wake Up Atlanta. I had known Ella was at WGCL, but just assumed it was WXIA because of it being sister stations to WCNC forgetting she was at WGCL. And it’s not even Monday.

9 hours ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

Coastal Television (KYUR/KTBY) is making news for all the wrong reasons (this story ran in the NY Post today too):

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/anchorage/2020/10/12/anchorage-mayor-admits-to-inappropriate-relationship-with-news-anchor/

Obviously she should’ve went to the professional and contacted a certain LA anchor for some advice when she was dating the Mayor of Los Angeles back in the day.....😅

• Haha 2

On 10/13/2020 at 11:06 AM, Mrtraveler01 said:

Coastal Television (KYUR/KTBY) is making news for all the wrong reasons (this story ran in the NY Post today too):

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/anchorage/2020/10/12/anchorage-mayor-admits-to-inappropriate-relationship-with-news-anchor/

I would just like to say that KYUR/KTBY barely qualifies as a legitimate news station.

and FTV reported the anchor told the Mayor she was gonna win an Emmy. Not a chance in the world. I’ve watched those newscasts. They’re BAD. 

5 minutes ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

I would just like to say that KYUR/KTBY barely qualifies as a legitimate news station.

and FTV reported the anchor told the Mayor she was gonna win an Emmy. Not a chance in the world. I’ve watched those newscasts. They’re BAD. 

I've seen better newscasts from the Atlanta-based American News Network (them of the same production music 'news theme' used by the GTA games).

Also it should be noted that clicking any of the social links on the Your Alaska Link page (Twitter, Facebook and YouTube) now bring you to two 'this account no longer exists' pages...while the YT page was removed by that site as "we received multiple third-party claims of copyright infringement regarding material the user posted". Finally, I hope Dorene Lorenz (who seems to be the only one posting web content right now and the only employee left) is doing well despite all the dysfunction going on around her.

17 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

There just seems to be no justification to show the video, nor name the involved, except that it was on camera. This could have easily been a story where the anchor just said someone broke in the door, police were involved, and that they hope they seek proper mental health services (why thank the police and not mention mental health outside of it derisively?).

It also behooves Nexstar/iHeart at this point to re-design that bizarre split entrance if this is now a regular occurrence; why isn't there an entrance foyer with a second door, or reinforcement with that door rather than just this two-door pair? Some kind of security besides a higher-quality Nest cam? 

Actually the way it is set up, the iHeart portion is separated through a glass hallway to the stairs and elevator and the other door (that was not broken into) only goes into this.  They occupy the 2nd and 3rd floors of the building, while WKRG is on the ground floor.  This setup goes all the way back to post 9/11 to reinforce security between the recently separated entities.  Access to the station itself is through another secured door at the other end of the lobby.

Originally, they were all a part of WKRG-AM-FM-TV under family ownership.  When WKRG was broken up, the radio stations were sold off and eventually became a part of Clear Channel, while Spartan got the TV station.

Here is WPMI's account of the story.  They are radio partners with iHeart (and were once co-owned during the Clear Channel days yet remained in the WKRG building)

It sounds like iHeart was the intended target.

https://mynbc15.com/news/local/man-claiming-to-be-god-smashes-his-way-into-mobile-media-complex-lobby

WPMI dodges the football here by not mentioning WKRG.   There seems to be some bad blood over a  very well-known weather guy who came from here to work there now.

As for the gender of the assailant, they did show his legal name including her assumed name.   Whether it was trying to distance themselves from the issue, or just the fact of his/her status, it's a coverage issue that needs standards going forward.

Seeing the assailant may have led the viewer to assume their sex, even if it was for perceived shock value.

Edited by tyrannical bastard

11 minutes ago, TheRob said:

This feels like an overreaction; I don’t even think this is a suspendable offense in my eyes.  She made a mistake not having the station sign off on her apparence but the scene is innocuous enough and the content certainly wouldn’t violate any morals clause.  Hopefully this backlash will find Pinto new work.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Glimmer said:

This feels like an overreaction; I don’t even think this is a suspendable offense in my eyes.  She made a mistake not having the station sign off on her apparence but the scene is innocuous enough and the content certainly wouldn’t violate any morals clause.  Hopefully this backlash will find Pinto new work.

Definitely an overreaction by the station.  Good for her to take the high road in the announcement.   I think the station should rethink their decision to terminate.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheRyan said:

Definitely an overreaction by the station.

Totally agree. Boneheaded move by Sunbeam. I can understand not following a contract's stipulations and maybe other miscellaneous/unwanted liability concerns, but there's nuance to every situation. And Alaina was just recently promoted several months back (if I recall correctly) so she was clearly doing something right for the station. Reactions on social media seem to reinforce this. If she stays in news, I can definitely see her being taken up by another station before year's end.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, TheRob said:

c'mon it's a simple violation it isn't even suspend able, nor is it terminable. could just been a good review of contract rules by the bosses. Sunbeam did something stupid already starting of on a bad foot post Ed Ansin era!!! Good thing will come when good doors closes better doors will open.

• Like 7

In fairness, there have been a lot of questionable WHDH firings over the years (most notably Boston TV legend Randy Price) so this is very much in the Ed Ansin mold. Both Amaka Ubaka and Polikseni Manxhari have posted words of praise for Alaina, so it's clear that there is blowback inside 7 Bulfinch Place. Independently owned TV stations are often easier to support in theory than in actual practice.

Edited by newsbot
  • Like 2