Out & About

TexasTVNews

WBNS went the cheap tegna route. If they wanted experience, they would have promoted Scott Light, or brought it someone of similar caliber. Instead they bring in a kid from Toledo, who is good, but hardly the most qualified. 

And, he is probably going to make 125k, instead of what the job should pay. 
But its not just WBNS. Look at CMH. They passed over the older white guy there (Johansen) who is clearly more experienced, for a younger kid, who looks misplaced next to Colleen. 

• Like 2

Sooner or later, WSYX is going to become the #1 station in the market.

Because Sinclair has been pouring money and talent into the station for years, while WCMH has been trying to recover from Media General, and now WBNS is just another hopeless Tegna clone.

I have to wonder if Jym Ganahl really retired from WCMH.....because it seemed he came right back to WSYX when his non-compete expired.

• Like 1

Has WOIO hired a new investigative reporter?  I know their last two attempts after Carl Monday's departure (the guy from Florida, the woman from Michigan) didn't pan out too well.

Speaking of 19, they brought back Ronnie Duncan, who used to do sports from 1995 to 2001, but as a news reporter.

5 hours ago, newsman123 said:

WBNS went the cheap tegna route. If they wanted experience, they would have promoted Scott Light, or brought it someone of similar caliber. Instead they bring in a kid from Toledo, who is good, but hardly the most qualified. 

And, he is probably going to make 125k, instead of what the job should pay. 
But its not just WBNS. Look at CMH. They passed over the older white guy there (Johansen) who is clearly more experienced, for a younger kid, who looks misplaced next to Colleen. 

Same for WKRC in Cincinnati. Lots of young Black guy/older woman anchor pairings in Ohio lately... 

On 9/11/2020 at 12:15 AM, nickp said:

Shawn Yancy’s first story assignment at FOX 5 was covering the 9/11 terrorist attacks from the Pentagon

Yea, I remember she anchored all-day coverage. If that till the other sister came. I tell Washington is doing some fishy shit Washington, D.C. the most blackest town in the nation, next to Atlanta!!! Which is The second blackest town. Um Yancy departure, with Allison Morris will do irreparable damage to the Washington, D.C. Market and WTTG FOX 5 D.C..

1 hour ago, ttvn2000 said:

Same for WKRC in Cincinnati. Lots of young Black guy/older woman anchor pairings in Ohio lately... 

Yeah, Johansson needed that promotion badly, especially after they did him wrong at WRAL In Raleigh. He was going to embark on the lead 5 P.M. slot and 11 P.M. I think we’re the details and a big salary, but when the anchor who was supposed to be replaced by him David Crabtree wanted to push back his retirement to a few years till 2021 they did wrong. No alternative offer for an extensive salary they paid for and basically wasted money for a contract they never used it for!!!

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

Yeah, Johansson needed that promotion badly, especially after they did him wrong at WRAL In Raleigh. He was going to embark on the lead 5 P.M. slot and 11 P.M. I think we’re the details and a big salary, but when the anchor who was supposed to be replaced by him David Crabtree wanted to push back his retirement to a few years till 2021 they did wrong. No alternative offer for an extensive salary they paid for and basically wasted money for a contract they never used it for!!!

I'm not sure it is accurate to say WRAL did Brad Johansen wrong. Yes, Crabtree delayed his retirement but that is not why he is no longer at the station. According to the Fayetteville Observer, "there was an employee violation and a personnel matter that needed to be handled immediately." That doesn't sound like the station did him wrong nor does it sound like the station decided not to offer him a contract. This appears to be a termination of an employee for cause. Johansen had already assumed Crabtree's hosting duties of the station's public affairs show, "On the Record" and was the primary fill in. By all accounts he was going to be kept on until Crabtree's retirement. That is until this alleged violation. 

6 hours ago, MikePulse said:

No fanfare. Tom Randles is gone from WSMV. I think there’s something in the water at Meredith corporate. (Edited to link to Randles’ profile)

5 hours ago, Samantha said:

This smells of a round of cuts:

5 hours ago, newsman123 said:

Wow. Tom Randles. This follows Dennis House. They appear to be dropping all their highly paid main anchors within the company. 

This should not come as a surprise because its clear to us who's going to be on the block next (when the time is right).

There is no way Meredith would be selling if they weren't making all of these cuts.

On 9/14/2020 at 9:41 AM, MikePulse said:

No fanfare. Tom Randles is gone from WSMV. I think there’s something in the water at Meredith corporate.

It seems that Meredith is indeed using the "effects" of COVID-19 to clean house of their older and more experienced (cough cough expensive cough) talent.

And they were just getting their groove on after their last set of management that pulled the plug on his co-anchor several years back, among other cutbacks and issues at the time.  Wasn't he the heir to Dan Miller's throne?

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

It seems that Meredith is indeed using the "effects" of COVID-19 to clean house of their older and more experienced (cough cough expensive cough) talent.

And they were just getting their groove on after their last set of management that pulled the plug on his co-anchor several years back, among other cutbacks and issues at the time.  Wasn't he the heir to Dan Miller's throne?

That was originally given to Bob Sellers before he was shown the door two years later.

• Like 3

Over at KSWB, seems like Brad Wills is the permanent late evening weather anchor for 6, 7, 10 & 11. I saw Justina Myers, who previously had been doing it (poorly I might add) was back to reporting. I'm not sure if there is a replacement for him in the morning as hardly anyone's bios say what shows they are on.

26 minutes ago, Bsean said:

Over at KSWB, seems like Brad Wills is the permanent late evening weather anchor for 6, 7, 10 & 11. I saw Justina Myers, who previously had been doing it (poorly I might add) was back to reporting. I'm not sure if there is a replacement for him in the morning as hardly anyone's bios say what shows they are on.

So is Chrissy taking all mornings shows with Aloha mid shifts and Brad in the evenings?

Liberty and Justina seemed to be the hybrids and fill ins.

1 hour ago, SFTV said:

So is Chrissy taking all mornings shows with Aloha mid shifts and Brad in the evenings?

I don't know, I'll have to see tomorrow. I don't really like Justina or Liberty doing weather... They are awkward at it. Aloha is doing midday.

Edited by Bsean
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Bsean said:

I don't know, I'll have to see tomorrow. I don't really like Justina or Liberty doing weather... They are awkward at it. Aloha is doing midday.

I agree and Liberty is too into herself especially on Instagram. Don’t live for likes 🙃

10 hours ago, SFTV said:

Chrissy comes in at 5a to do the whole morning.

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2020 at 8:58 PM, Bsean said:

How come Aloha is off evenings?

7 hours ago, ED2 said:

How come Aloha is off evenings?

I'm pretty sure it was at her request. She had been off air for a while. She came back around the time when Jason Handman left, she moved into his spot and the evenings were vacant until now.