Jump to content
×
×
  • Create New...
Message added by Weeters

This thread will soon become "Comings and Goings", a thread targeted at talent and staff arrivals and departures. Please consider starting new threads for anything that does not fit this criteria. 
Click here for more information regarding the sunsetting of "general" threads.

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, mposeymil said:

Over and out for GM Mark Strachota after 6 years at WDJT...Anne Brown from crosstown WITI will be his successor.. Will be interesting to see how she will shape the station...

https://www.jsonline.com/story/entertainment/television-radio/2020/07/13/tv-vet-mark-strachota-retiring-weigel-stations-milwaukee-witi-tvs-anne-brown-named-gm/5428900002/

 

She is likely jumping ship since WITI is under FTS control now and she likely isn't their (abeit short-term plans) ownership of the station.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I worked with a news anchor who battled an alcohol addiction. It's not just about someone having too much fun and getting carried away, there sometimes are much deeper issues we don't know about. My c

Posted Images

WFOR with another exit: David Sutta. Sutta's been with the station since 2007 and likely left to increase his commitment to his photography and film work (per LinkedIn activity). That leaves Jim DeFede as the only 'investigator' on the team from even as recent as 2015. It seems like WFOR continues to struggle (and the management doesn't seem to be super fun either CC: Michele / Rudabeh); anyone out there in SoFlo who can really speak to any gains made by any of the English-language news stations? (besides WSVN's "infamous" style of news)

 

Other CBS-related news: WBZ's ND Johnny Green, who joined the station in 2015, is moving on to lead CBS Newspath. WBZ's very middle-of-the-pack and I'm not sure if a new ND could make any inroads. Chris and Katie's laying off were totally mistakes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, TheWatcherAtl said:

Any update on Sharon Reed? heard a small rumor shes getting back into tv soon.

 

 

She has her own TV Social Media podcast and she starting a little black-owned network it’s in her Instagram page. It’s a network skewed towards black folks and it’s black owned.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2020 at 6:51 PM, Roadrunner said:

WFOR with another exit: David Sutta. Sutta's been with the station since 2007 and likely left to increase his commitment to his photography and film work (per LinkedIn activity). That leaves Jim DeFede as the only 'investigator' on the team from even as recent as 2015. It seems like WFOR continues to struggle (and the management doesn't seem to be super fun either CC: Michele / Rudabeh); anyone out there in SoFlo who can really speak to any gains made by any of the English-language news stations? (besides WSVN's "infamous" style of news) 

 

Nope! WFOR still stinks and stinks like un peste, WTVJ continues to lag behind and still puts out a great product out there, WPLG continues to copy WSVN in every way they can and has a newsroom infected with COVID now, still no word as to when WSFL's news department will launch and WSVN is still #1 overall in South Florida English.

 

Any questions? 😂

 

EDIT: Said it before on here. Had (and still have) a crush on Rudabeh. WFOR treated her badly in the end so I'm glad she'll be on WGN America doing weekends for NewsNation.

Edited by TheRolyPoly
Link to post
Share on other sites

FTVLive decreed that WKBN meteorologist Alexis Walters was making the jump from weather to primary anchor, and that such a move was something he had never heard of.

 

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2020/7/17/moving-over-from-the-chromakey

 

Ummm......Stan Boney?

 

Not only did he make the move from Chief Met to primary anchor at WYTV, he moved across the hall to WKBN to be an anchor there.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

FTVLive decreed that WKBN meteorologist Alexis Walters was making the jump from weather to primary anchor, and that such a move was something he had never heard of.

 

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2020/7/17/moving-over-from-the-chromakey

 

Ummm......Stan Boney?

 

Not only did he make the move from Chief Met to primary anchor at WYTV, he moved across the hall to WKBN to be an anchor there.

There's also Robin Read at WDBJ in Roanoke, VA. He has been meteorologist there for almost 40 years, but he currently anchors the 6p news as well (he took over as anchor after Chris Hurst left to make a successful run for a seat in the Virginia House of Delegates; Hurst was dating Alison Parker when she and Adam Ward were shot to death live on WDBJ in August of 2015).

 

Here is the 2017 story announcing the move:

https://godanriver.com/news/state/reed-moving-over-to-wdbjs-co-anchor-chair-as-hurst-departs-for-political-career/article_e90001bc-05d1-5b61-841b-5d68d2fd1aa2.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

FTVLive decreed that WKBN meteorologist Alexis Walters was making the jump from weather to primary anchor, and that such a move was something he had never heard of.

 

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2020/7/17/moving-over-from-the-chromakey

 

Ummm......Stan Boney?

 

Not only did he make the move from Chief Met to primary anchor at WYTV, he moved across the hall to WKBN to be an anchor there.

Hell, WKYC did a similar thing with Betsy Kling being 5pm anchor WHILE doing weather at 6, 7, and 11.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NEOMatrix said:

Hell, WKYC did a similar thing with Betsy Kling being 5pm anchor WHILE doing weather at 6, 7, and 11.

I think Stan Boney's transition was the same, he became co-anchor while doing weather, then totally relinquished his weather duties to become WYTV's solo evening anchor, before moving over to WKBN in 2015.

 

I would imagine he keeps his 10pm and 11pm shows, while Dave Sess keeps 5 & 6 when Alexis begins her anchor stint.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2020 at 3:35 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

FTVLive decreed that WKBN meteorologist Alexis Walters was making the jump from weather to primary anchor, and that such a move was something he had never heard of.

 

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2020/7/17/moving-over-from-the-chromakey

 

Ummm......Stan Boney?

 

Not only did he make the move from Chief Met to primary anchor at WYTV, he moved across the hall to WKBN to be an anchor there.

Ron Young coanchored the 9am news on KSLA while serving as the meteorologist.

 

In a reverse example, Steve Bender left his morning anchor gig at KTAL to be the meteorologist at KRNV. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

Ron Young coanchored the 9am news on KSLA while serving as the meteorologist.

 

In a reverse example, Steve Bender left his morning anchor gig at KTAL to be the meteorologist at KRNV. 

Robin Reed from WDBJ comes to mind. Tim Williams from WJZ, and...umm...one of the most obvious examples (to me) - Tony Perkins from GMA/WTTG/WUSA. Maybe because she is a meteorologist and not a weather anchor? Idk, I do think it is a strange statement to say from an insider site.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

WTHR will carry the Indianapolis 500 LIVE in the Indianapolis DMA for only the 4th time in the history of the race.

 

https://www.wthr.com/article/sports/motor/indianapolis-500/indianapolis-500-to-air-live-indy-wthr-channel-13-2020/531-1a6779cb-1ce3-478a-b942-743434c2d1ae

 

The race is usually blacked out in Indianapolis to ensure fan presence, only airing live if the race is sold out, but with the event capped at roughly 25% capacity, this seems like a no-brainer for IndyCar, and may end up being a boon for WTHR.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

WTHR will carry the Indianapolis 500 LIVE in the Indianapolis DMA for only the 4th time in the history of the race.

 

https://www.wthr.com/article/sports/motor/indianapolis-500/indianapolis-500-to-air-live-indy-wthr-channel-13-2020/531-1a6779cb-1ce3-478a-b942-743434c2d1ae

 

The race is usually blacked out in Indianapolis to ensure fan presence, only airing live if the race is sold out, but with the event capped at roughly 25% capacity, this seems like a no-brainer for IndyCar, and may end up being a boon for WTHR.


 

I don’t know why they block it out anyway... There the home market that’s money on the table that how you force people to go that sounds like an action of a small market would do. That Like if the Green Bay Packers were playing in Green Bay that would be like no one in Green Bay can see it unless you come to the game while the rest of the country sees it. To help support attendance in a city that size for a big sports league that can even fit a city that size...

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Gavin said:


 

I don’t know why they block it out anyway... There the home market that’s money on the table that how you force people to go that sounds like an action of a small market would do. That Like if the Green Bay Packers were playing in Green Bay that would be like no one in Green Bay can see it unless you come to the game while the rest of the country sees it. To help support attendance in a city that size for a big sports league that can even fit a city that size...

That's the way the NFL blackout policy worked until 2015...thankfully Green Bay always sells out so we never experienced a game blackout locally, but it always sounded embarrassing that a local TV station (this always occurred in bad Vikings years and for at least a decade, for the Lions) had to buy out blocks of tickets so they wouldn't have to carry TV offal instead of their local NFL game on a Sunday afternoon.

 

The main reason for the Indy blackout though is to make it an event you have to see, not just a distraction you can easily access on TV and have bars just Hoover up money with their watch parties that the track would rather have in their own pockets. This year though, you want home eyeballs live in Indy for sure on TV.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

That's the way the NFL blackout policy worked until 2015...thankfully Green Bay always sells out so we never experienced a game blackout locally, but it always sounded embarrassing that a local TV station (this always occurred in bad Vikings years and for at least a decade, for the Lions) had to buy out blocks of tickets so they wouldn't have to carry TV offal instead of their local NFL game on a Sunday afternoon.

 

The main reason for the Indy blackout though is to make it an event you have to see, not just a distraction you can easily access on TV and have bars just Hoover up money with their watch parties that the track would rather have in their own pockets. This year though, you want home eyeballs live in Indy for sure on TV.

 

I remember back when KDFW was a CBS station, they'd buy up Dallas Cowboys tickets so there wouldn't be a blackout.  Sometimes there was anyway; many with antennas would try to swivel them around to try to pick up KXII from Sherman, or even KLTV (back in their cherry-picking days) in Tyler.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, east-tx-tv said:

 

I remember back when KDFW was a CBS station, they'd buy up Dallas Cowboys tickets so there wouldn't be a blackout.  Sometimes there was anyway; many with antennas would try to swivel them around to try to pick up KXII from Sherman, or even KLTV (back in their cherry-picking days) in Tyler.

Cleveland had the same problem with the Browns, and since Youngstown was within 75 miles, they had to black out the games too.  There was even a few times where Monday Night Football was blacked out when it was on ABC, and WEWS, WYTV, and even WAKC in Akron (before they were sold to Paxson) had to pre-empt the game.

 

At least the NFL is primarily available on broadcast TV, while large parts of the NBA and MLB have migrated to cable and the RSNs.  Given the state of the Fox Sports RSNs under Sinclair, that may be trouble with all of the cord-cutting and their "reduced" carriage agreements.  Some don't even carry them at all, while the YouTubeTV only has carriage in primary market areas, and still lacks the new Cubs' network.

 

If more sports pull the plug or postpone (due to COVID-19) this year, the pay-tv bubble could finally burst.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, east-tx-tv said:

 

I remember back when KDFW was a CBS station, they'd buy up Dallas Cowboys tickets so there wouldn't be a blackout.  Sometimes there was anyway; many with antennas would try to swivel them around to try to pick up KXII from Sherman, or even KLTV (back in their cherry-picking days) in Tyler.


Or KWTX in Waco - I remember during the 80s heading back to College Station from Dallas, there would be folks parked at rest stops along I-35 “tailgating” with a TV to watch the Cowboys on a Sunday afternoon when the Cowboys didn’t sell out....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anchor changes are taking place at Austin's KVUE ABC 24.

 

Evening Anchor Mike Rush will be move to Daybreak (5-7am) with Yvonne Nava. Morning anchor Bryan Mays will now be the stations main anchor at 5, 6 and 10pm with Terri Gruca (5pm) and Quita Culpepper (6 & 10pm). Meteorologist Jason Mikell will now do the weather on weekends, he'll be anchoring the early morning edition of Daybreak at 4:30am, and do traffic reports from 5-7am.

 

The changes will take place starting tomorrow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2020 at 9:01 PM, C Block said:

First Sven Sundgaard from their sister station KARE got the boot for similar comments, now Marty. Well at least Tegna is consistent.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

WTEN's Nicol Lally, after nearly 13 years, has parted ways with the station, but not for the reasons you'd think. Her husband, Jason Tapp, is now the assistant men's hockey coach at Dartmouth College. Tapp had spent the last decade as an "associate" (goalie) coach at Union College, winning the 2014 Frozen Four in the process and helping make the idea of goalie coaches at D-I college hockey a mainstream idea.

 

Hey Hearst, if you want someone to staff your Upper Valley bureau for WMUR and WPTZ, I know just the person for it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, scrabbleship said:

 

WTEN's Nicol Lally, after nearly 13 years, has parted ways with the station, but not for the reasons you'd think. Her husband, Jason Tapp, is now the assistant men's hockey coach at Dartmouth College. Tapp had spent the last decade as an "associate" (goalie) coach at Union College, winning the 2014 Frozen Four in the process and helping make the idea of goalie coaches at D-I college hockey a mainstream idea.

 

Hey Hearst, if you want someone to staff your Upper Valley bureau for WMUR and WPTZ, I know just the person for it!

WTEN’s revolving door seems to be working fairly well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.