Outage Alert! Software Upgrades this Weekend ×

Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
TexasTVNews

Out & About

1 hour ago, Breaking News said:

She getting married and moving up the road to  OKC. I wonder if she going to go work at KWTV-  Congrarts! Always been a fan of hers!

It's more than likely that Terry Hood won't be working for KWTV. She's completely retiring from the Broadcasting business.

5 hours ago, Breaking News said:

She getting married and moving up the road to  OKC. I wonder if she going to go work at KWTV-  Congrarts! Always been a fan of hers!

Yeah he lost, but do you think he would ever sell WCOV/FOX20? I could see Nexstar trying to get WCOV.  Montgomery, market with it being a small market.  It funny how 30 years ago:  WCOV had a news-team due to being CBS. WAKA was in Selma, and WKAB/WHOA now WNCF newscast was a rollercoaster.  Being on again and off again.  WSFA always the top dog in the market, and at one time mid 90s WAKA had some steam to challenge them, but that was only a hot minute.  Now WAKA & WNCF doing news together.  WSFA produces the 9pm on FOX WCOV20.

The WCOV/WSFA arrangement only lasted a year or two.  WAKA has handled it since 2011 and WSFA's 9pm show has aired on their subchannel and on WDFX in Dothan while Raycom owned them.

Bahakel is another holdout in this consolidated media landscape.  Either one could be a target for Nexstar, and that would give them EVERY market in Alabama, since Gray is not in Mobile. 

Interestingly enough, WHOA/WNCF was briefly owned by Media General.  Had that stuck, Nexstar could have already been in the market.

Edited by tyrannical bastard

On 10/8/2019 at 6:28 PM, Bsean said:

Apparently KSWB now has a half hour 7pm show. Also, I noticed at 4am there's a show called Fox 5 Behind the Scenes, on right before the 4:30am news... Not sure what that is. Has anyone else seen it?

Screenshot_20191008-182206.png

Screenshot_20191008-182631.png

Screenshot_20191008-183508.png

4am FOX5 behind the scene has been on air since the beginning of may sweeps 

FOX 4 (KDFW) has found its new weekend anchor. It's reporter Blake Hanson. He's been a reporter at the FOX station since 2017. Hanson will take over the weekend newscast for

longtime anchor Richard Ray who retired this past May. He'll anchor the 5pm (During next year's MLB season), 6 & 9pm solo on Saturdays and 5 & 9pm with co-anchor Natalie Solis on Sundays.

Edited by TexasTVNews

Former WDSU anchor Scott Walker is projected to win the Jefferson Parish Council At-Large Seat, Division B.

18 hours ago, PelicanGuy said:

Former WDSU anchor Scott Walker is projected to win the Jefferson Parish Council At-Large Seat, Division B.

He won.

https://www.nola.com/news/article_634f8746-eac7-11e9-b8e9-434e80f09c48.html

Seems ironic that he's now involved in politics, especially when he had to distance himself from the "other" Scott Walker who was governor of Wisconsin at the time.

• Haha 3

Are there any stations in the country that has a Multicultural reporter? Apparently, WISH and Circle City Broadcasting is looking to hire one, it might either be a great thing or it could end up being an epic disaster.

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/240003/wish-looking-to-hire-multicultural-reporter/

Edited by oknewsguy

1 hour ago, oknewsguy said:

Are there any stations in the country that has a Multicultural reporter? Apparently, WISH and Circle City Broadcasting is looking to hire one, it might either be a great thing or it could end up being an epic disaster.

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/240003/wish-looking-to-hire-multicultural-reporter/

They should hire the whitest, stiffest, most boring white guy they can find. I bet you could get a lot of fish out of the water, unintentional comedy out of it.

• Haha 1

In the "M&A we missed" department, there were three deals affecting stations in Wyoming. All three have not yet had their sale prices revealed as no filings have crossed the FCC.

KLWY-TV in Cheyenne, KFNB-TV, KWYF-LD and their dependent stations were sold to Coastal Television Broadcasting Company, LLC (apparently aka Front Range Television). The president and CEO of Coastal is William Fielder III.

KTWO-TV in Casper, as well as KKTQ-LD and its other dependent translators was acquired by Vision Alaska (Stephen Brissette, manager).

KGWC and its full-power satellites and translators were sold to Big Horn Television LLC (Michael Hogan, member). We don't know much about Big Horn Television but it is clearly related to the other two companies, having been incorporated the same day and being domiciled at the same address.

All three companies are incorporated in Delaware. Coastal (and Fielder) owns KTBY in Anchorage, Alaska, and WLOV in the Tupelo market. (WLOV's operations are handled by WTVA under LMA.) Vision Alaska owns the ABC Alaska system, which is LMA'd out to Coastal. Hogan appears to have no other holdings.

The deal will also see KJUD and KATN, which Coastal operates under time brokerage agreements, be assigned to Coastal proper.

Edited by Samantha

9 hours ago, Samantha said:

The one time I expect an owner to "reassign" frequencies they don't. ABC and CW could easily move to KTBY's stick, or hell, KTBY could shut down with KYUR taking Fox. only thing probably stopping it is the equipment probably can't handle 3 HD streams on one stick and after seeing plenty of newscasts on KTBY, yeah no.

36 minutes ago, NEOMatrix said:

The one time I expect an owner to "reassign" frequencies they don't. ABC and CW could easily move to KTBY's stick, or hell, KTBY could shut down with KYUR taking Fox. only thing probably stopping it is the equipment probably can't handle 3 HD streams on one stick and after seeing plenty of newscasts on KTBY, yeah no.

Doesn't KYUR and KTBY do minimal news at best?

If Nexstar wasn't maxed out, Coastal would be one of those companies that would be drastically improved by them a la Rockfleet or Morris.

40 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

Doesn't KYUR and KTBY do minimal news at best?

If Nexstar wasn't maxed out, Coastal would be one of those companies that would be drastically improved by them a la Rockfleet or Morris.

Accoding to Zap2It, KTBY only does a 9pm news (no surprise since they're Fox). However, KYUR only does a 10pm news, which I'm shocked by. One would think KYUR would do an early evening news at 5pm or 6pm.

49 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

WDAF celebrates 70 years of broadcasting today.

We had a whimsical marble cake to celebrate.

73528633_1376856269133399_7296947954693177344_n.jpg

• Like 5

On 10/16/2019 at 1:00 AM, Samantha said:

In the "M&A we missed" department, there were three deals affecting stations in Wyoming. All three have not yet had their sale prices revealed as no filings have crossed the FCC.

KLWY-TV in Cheyenne, KFNB-TV, KWYF-LD and their dependent stations were sold to Coastal Television Broadcasting Company, LLC (apparently aka Front Range Television). The president and CEO of Coastal is William Fielder III.

KTWO-TV in Casper, as well as KKTQ-LD and its other dependent translators was acquired by Vision Alaska (Stephen Brissette, manager).

KGWC and its full-power satellites and translators were sold to Big Horn Television LLC (Michael Hogan, member). We don't know much about Big Horn Television but it is clearly related to the other two companies, having been incorporated the same day and being domiciled at the same address.

All three companies are incorporated in Delaware. Coastal (and Fielder) owns KTBY in Anchorage, Alaska, and WLOV in the Tupelo market. (WLOV's operations are handled by WTVA under LMA.) Vision Alaska owns the ABC Alaska system, which is LMA'd out to Coastal. Hogan appears to have no other holdings.

The paperwork was posted on the FCC site last night.

Purchase Prices:

KGWC (Big Horn) - $10.7M ($10,733,333)

KFNB (Front Range) - $1.7M ($1.766,667)

KTWO (Vision WY) - $1.5M

Total - $14M. 

Front Range appears to be the parent because it will operate the Big Horn & Vision stations via an SSA.

If i remember correctly, Gray was buying the properties for around $20.5M (that included the price that Legacy was paying for ABC & Fox). So this is just a few million short.

I'm personally not happy that it had to come down to this, after the DOJ stuck their head into the now-scuttled Gray deal last year. As I stated last year, if they would've done that deal all over again, Gray should've partnered with another broadcaster (not Legacy). Let that unrelated third-party (i.e. Coastal/Vision) get the ABC & Fox. Gray could've at least kept CBS because the FCC approved that part of the deal.

After the FCC greenlighted the KDLT deal last month, I was seriously thinking that Gray should go back to Wyoming and try that Casper deal again. And if DOJ files suit to block the sale, then Gray shouid fight it in court. But with the Third Circuit vacating Pai's dereg rule, that somewhat complicates things now.

Edited by CircleSeven

33 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Purchase Prices:

KTWO (Vision WY) - $1.5M

Total - $14M. 

Front Range appears to be the parent because it will operate the Big Horn & Vision stations via an SSA.

If i remember correctly, Gray was buying the properties for around $20.5M (that included the price that Legacy was paying for ABC & Fox). So this is just a few million short.

I'm personally not happy that it had to come down to this, after the DOJ stuck their head into the now-scuttled Gray deal last year. As I stated last year, if they would've done that deal all over again, Gray should've partnered with another broadcaster (not Legacy). Let that unrelated third-party (i.e. Coastal/Vision) get the ABC & Fox. Gray could've at least kept CBS because the FCC approved that part of the deal.

After the FCC greenlighted the KDLT deal last month, I was seriously thinking that Gray should go back to Wyoming and try that Casper deal again. And if DOJ files suit to block the sale, then Gray shouid fight it in court. But with the Third Circuit vacating Pai's dereg rule, that somewhat complicates things now.

Will the DOJ/FCC okay the deal with all the parties ( KTWO, KGWC, and KLWY) included.

4 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Purchase Prices:

KTWO (Vision WY) - $1.5M

Total - $14M. 

The KGWC filing has a surprise buried in it. KGWC's getting a local newscast, per the SSA between Big Horn and Front Range.

Provider agrees to, utilizing both its management personnel and facilities, provide live-feed and, subject to the cooperation of Licensee as set forth in this subsection, at least six hours per week of fully-staffed and produced newscasts for broadcast on KGWC; provided, however, that such newscasts shall not comprise more than fifteen percent (15%) (by duration) of the programming broadcast on KGWC during any broadcast week.  Provider agrees to be responsible for delivering such newscasts to KGWC’s broadcast facilities in a timely manner.  Licensee agrees to make available to Provider (at no additional cost) any technical facilities of KGWC owned by Licensee as may be necessary to produce such newscasts and to deliver such newscasts to KGWC’s transmission facilities.  Provider agrees to use reasonable efforts to provide such newscasts that are of a quality appropriate to KGWC’s market.  Such newscasts shall be produced exclusively for broadcast on KGWC, but may include non-exclusive videotape, graphics, news stories, field reports and other material.  Personnel of Licensee shall determine the title and format of such newscasts, and such newscasts shall have an “on-air appearance” as if they had been originated by Licensee through KGWC.

Identical copy is in KTWO's agreement, but the KGWC contingency is a surprise. There's no SSA for the Fox stations so it's unclear if a newscast will be added there.