Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
TexasTVNews

Out & About

Posted (edited)

I said this back in April regarding former ABC affiliate (now Indie station) WPGA.

On 4/24/2019 at 2:26 PM, CircleSeven said:

From this latest paperwork, it looks like the station will be in the hands of the creditors.

I'm hoping an owner like Marquee Broadcasting would come up and buy this station. 

Well guess what? Marquee is buying WPGA for $1M.

Edited by CircleSeven

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Being a repository of subchannels is probably the best hope for that station, especially if they can orient it to adjacent markets.

If (and likely when) WBNX ends up in a similar situation, Marquee would be a good owner especially if they can get it on the cheap.  They already have 5 subchannels and could easily add more if they do away with the main feed.

Edited by tyrannical bastard

As the revolving door turns.... the DFW market loses yet another, as KXAS reporter Tim Ciesco decides to leave the building.  He's accepted a media position with the police department in Arlington, not too many miles from the KXAS studio/office complex.

On 10/3/2019 at 1:33 AM, DirtyHarry said:

...department and appliance stores no longer can advertise in papers...

Why not?

16 minutes ago, mre29 said:

Why not?

That is not true.  Department stores like Macy's, Lord & Taylor, Bloomingdales, Best Buy, PC Richard and Son, and others  continue to advertise in my local paper.  Not as much as they used to.  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, NowBergen said:

That is not true.  Department stores like Macy's, Lord & Taylor, Bloomingdales, Best Buy, PC Richard and Son, and others  continue to advertise in my local paper.  Not as much as they used to.  

I don't think they can afford it anymore. Lazarus used to always keep their stores up to date. Now walk into one of the older Macy's stores. Around here they are nice, but in some other cities, ugh! Not to mention that Lazarus used to have 12 stores around Columbus and Central Ohio. Now there are only three full line Macy's stores, and one of them is in a mall that is down to only two anchors. When you have 12 stores, you can justify an expensive newspaper ad. Harder to justify with three stores.

Same thing in Indianapolis where they had four Lazarus stores, four or five Blocks stores and I think five or six LS Ayres stores. Federated eventually bought everything up and now there are only two Macy's stores in Indianapolis. Everything else they got rid of. From 20 buildings down to two.

Same with grocery stores. Grabbing the Wednesday newspaper so you could see what was on sale at the various grocery chains used to be a big deal. Go look up an old newspaper on newspapers.com and you'll see grocery store ads right and left.

I rarely see one of our most successful car dealer chains in the newspaper or on TV or radio anymore. Most of their marketing is digital. And since they are one of the biggest in town, I'm guessing it works.

The other day I was in Kroger. I walked by a Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwich in the freezer. That's not the kind of stuff I buy, but it aroused my curiosity so I did a double-take to check the price. Apparently their algorithms are able to pinpoint your behavior right to doing a double-take at the freezer case because I was bombarded with Jimmy Dean ads for about two days afterwards. 

These days advertising isn't paying for news reporters. They seem to be paying people to program these algorithms.

*** Actually, now that I think about it, there is the old Lazarus furniture gallery at Eastland that they are using as a furniture outlet store. Oh my God that place is awful.

Edited by DirtyHarry

Pretty much the benefit of newspaper ads (the percent off coupon) that was a staple of department store ads is online or mobile.  

TV wise, these ads went from local, to regional, and national.  Stores like Belk and other smaller chains just went to the local TV station when they were having a "moonlight madness sale" and they were locally produced ads.  Even Sears and JCPenney marketed down to the local level like this, alongside their national ad campaigns.

As the stores began merging, so did their advertising, and it became more image-like instead of the one-offs for an event or two....

Nowadays, it's on the high regional level.  Macy's is all national ads (even in places that don't have them)  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Apparently KSWB now has a half hour 7pm show. Also, I noticed at 4am there's a show called Fox 5 Behind the Scenes, on right before the 4:30am news... Not sure what that is. Has anyone else seen it?

Screenshot_20191008-182206.png

Screenshot_20191008-182631.png

Screenshot_20191008-183508.png

Edited by Bsean
Additional info
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Pretty much the benefit of newspaper ads (the percent off coupon) that was a staple of department store ads is online or mobile.  

TV wise, these ads went from local, to regional, and national.  Stores like Belk and other smaller chains just went to the local TV station when they were having a "moonlight madness sale" and they were locally produced ads.  Even Sears and JCPenney marketed down to the local level like this, alongside their national ad campaigns.

As the stores began merging, so did their advertising, and it became more image-like instead of the one-offs for an event or two....

Nowadays, it's on the high regional level.  Macy's is all national ads (even in places that don't have them)  

Back when I was a kid, Sears ran a commercial every night where a local TV guy would start up a Sears lawn mower live to prove that it would start up the first time every time. I think they ran the same commercial in other markets using local personalities in those markets. Sears obviously had National advertising, but they also saw the value in having some local faces shilling for Sears.

Edited by DirtyHarry
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2019 at 10:13 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

In Montgomery, Alabama, the mayor's office is up for grabs after the longtime mayor decided not to run for re-election.   They just had a runoff, and one of the finalists is David Woods, owner of WCOV Fox 20. He is the son of Charles Woods, who also dabbled in politics and owned WTVY in Dothan until 2000.

Being a station owner, that frees him from the conflict of interest that many companies have when someone runs for office, but if he wins, the station may have to be put in a trust or sold.  At least they contract their news out to Bahakel's WAKA/WNCF so that's out of the way (they disclose this in their coverage)

Update...the runoff was yesterday, and Woods lost in a 2 to 1 landslide to Montgomery County Probate Judge Steven Reed, making him Montgomery's first African-American mayor.

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Update...the runoff was yesterday, and Woods lost in a 2 to 1 landslide to Montgomery County Probate Judge Steven Reed, making him Montgomery's first African-American mayor

The last mayor here was our first black mayor so my first instinct is to say "there goes the neighborhood." (Joke.) But our mayor was a good guy and completely down the middle. If this guy approaches his job like a moderate, he will be very popular. 

17 hours ago, Bsean said:

Apparently KSWB now has a half hour 7pm show. Also, I noticed at 4am there's a show called Fox 5 Behind the Scenes, on right before the 4:30am news... Not sure what that is. Has anyone else seen it?

Screenshot_20191008-182206.png

Screenshot_20191008-182631.png

Screenshot_20191008-183508.png

The 11pm news also is back it seems, how many times has it returned in last few years 3 or 4 times now?  I'm curious to know what the 4:30 am show is. The more pressing question is where is Aloha Taylor, she's been gone for too long. 

1 hour ago, DirtyHarry said:

The last mayor here was our first black mayor so my first instinct is to say "there goes the neighborhood." (Joke.) But our mayor was a good guy and completely down the middle. If this guy approaches his job like a moderate, he will be very popular. 

This is a watershed moment for the city of Montgomery given the city's past history in the Civil War and Civil Rights movement.

Now that Woods is out of it, he can go back to focusing on running his TV station.  Between Gray's dominance and Bahakel running everything else, his ownership is sorely needed.

5 minutes ago, tvtime07 said:

The 11pm news also is back it seems, how many times has it returned in last few years 3 or 4 times now?  I'm curious to know what the 4:30 am show is. The more pressing question is where is Aloha Taylor, she's been gone for too long. 

Yeah the 11pm news has actually been back for quite some time now. You mean the 4am program... FOX 5 Behind The Scenes? Yeah, I'd like to know too.

What KSWB did was add a half-hour of news at 7pm on weeknights and a half-hour at 11pm on Sundays.

8 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

You mean the 4am program... FOX 5 Behind The Scenes? Yeah, I'd like to know too.

Maybe they turn a camera on and let viewers watch them get ready to go for the day. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 2

Whatever "Behind the Scenes" is on KSWB, it doesn't show up in their aircheck list. The program log declares it a live event after the recorded national anthem, so KSWB might literally be turning on a newsroom camera and letting it ride. The segment is 25:25 long. A break runs at 4:27.

On 10/7/2019 at 11:19 PM, CircleSeven said:

I said this back in April regarding former ABC affiliate (now Indie station) WPGA.

Knowing how the station deteriorated without ABC, it can be said that this was a huge loss trying to wage a culture war for this station. Over ten years and likely around $10 million to carry ABC, to be sold off for couch cushion money ten years later just because the owner hated Grey's Anatomy because it dared to tackle LGTBQ+ issues feels like karmic justice, and that nobody is willing to follow you to 'family friendly' disasters like RTV and the other Luken nets (whoever steered the way for him to carry Weigel probably saved the station from just going dark completely).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

Knowing how the station deteriorated without ABC, it can be said that this was a huge loss trying to wage a culture war for this station. Over ten years and likely around $10 million to carry ABC, to be sold off for couch cushion money ten years later just because the owner hated Grey's Anatomy because it dared to tackle LGTBQ+ issues feels like karmic justice, and that nobody is willing to follow you to 'family friendly' disasters like RTV and the other Luken nets (whoever steered the way for him to carry Weigel probably saved the station from just going dark completely).

Pretty stupid. Even though I agree with him, I wouldn't be dumb enough to take it off the air. I might have snarky editorials during breaks, though.

Meteorologist Jacqueline Bennett seems to have joined Spectrum News Los Angeles.

her Facebook posts says “Big News to Announce. Stay Tuned.”

but that studio looks very recognizable.

she previously was at KRON, XETV and NBC Boston

71877850_2491486574268879_51617859279152

Edited by SFTV

Two days before I turn 24, one of Oklahoma's Own is calling it a career.

KOTV anchor and reporter Terry Hood is retiring on Thursday, October 24th after 32 years at the station, but unlike many others who decide to retire and stay in their city they've called home in their careers, Terry will actually leave Tulsa to relocate to O.K.C. to be with her husband.

She'll anchor her last newscast on that day on The News on 6 at 6:00 and the station has wasted NO time on her replacement. After a short time afterward, 5:00 p.m. anchor/reporter and KOTV veteran Lori Fullbright will take Terry's place as 6:00 and 10:00 p.m. co-anchor.

https://www.newson6.com/story/41160502/terry-hood-to-retire-from-news-on-6-after-32-years

19 hours ago, d247 said:

okcVeteran KOTV anchor Terry Hood is retiring after 32 years at the station. Her final newscast will be the 6pm show on Oct. 24th.

https://www.newson6.com/story/41160502/terry-hood-to-retire-from-news-on-6-after-32-years1

She getting married and moving up the road to  OKC. I wonder if she going to go work at KWTV-  Congrarts! Always been a fan of hers!

18 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

This is a watershed moment for the city of Montgomery given the city's past history in the Civil War and Civil Rights movement.

Now that Woods is out of it, he can go back to focusing on running his TV station.  Between Gray's dominance and Bahakel running everything else, his ownership is sorely needed.

Yeah he lost, but do you think he would ever sell WCOV/FOX20? I could see Nexstar trying to get WCOV.  Montgomery, market with it being a small market.  It funny how 30 years ago:  WCOV had a news-team due to being CBS. WAKA was in Selma, and WKAB/WHOA now WNCF newscast was a rollercoaster.  Being on again and off again.  WSFA always the top dog in the market, and at one time mid 90s WAKA had some steam to challenge them, but that was only a hot minute.  Now WAKA & WNCF doing news together.  WSFA produces the 9pm on FOX WCOV20.

Edited by Breaking News