Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
TexasTVNews

Out & About

23 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

We've gone off topic.

WJBF has recently added half-hour news at 4:00, 4:30 and 7:00 p.m.

WFXG is finally going 100% in-house and with it, weeknight news at 6:30 and 11:00 p.m. are coming.

https://changingnewscasts.wordpress.com/2019/09/14/wfxg-about-to-have-in-house-news-department-two-new-newscasts/

Finally, because WJBF went to 4:00 and 4:30 p.m., WRDW decided to go to an hour at 4:00 p.m. on WAGT and WRDW will soon add two hours of weekend morning news.

https://changingnewscasts.wordpress.com/2019/09/16/more-news-in-at-augusta-duo/

Augusta is hot right now.

None of that surprised me to be honest, I knew the WFXG stuff was going to happen because Gray wasn't going to continue producing newscasts for a competing station. I venture to say that WFXG's efforts will be very low-budget in comparison, however.

Meanwhile the WJBF move doesn't surprise me because they've been wanting a chunk of the 7pm and 4pm audience for awhile now that WRDW/WAGT had all to themselves. What does surprise me is that they haven't picked up Tamron Hall or a decent lead-in to the 4pm. This station still relies on The People's Court and Judge Mathis for syndicated programming.

Also, the WRDW/WAGT moves don't surprise me. Having worked there and knowing the egomaniac that the news director is, she doesn't want ANY station to have a chance to one up her operation even when her operation has been failing in the ratings for years.

Having looked at the schedules for all of the stations, it looks to me like none of the stations picked up The Mel Robbins Show and none of the stations have Rachael Ray anymore since WRDW dropped it for 25 Words or Less. WFXG and WAGT-DT2 (CW Augusta) are both airing double and sometimes even triple runs as well as shows no longer in active syndication (The Jerry Springer Show for instance).

Honestly, none of this surprises me in the least. What does surprise me is that WFXG is making an effort to make a name for itself in a two-station market largely dominated by WJBF with a distant and mostly dead last WRDW/WAGT. As far as their news goes, the production values are pretty awful, as well as their news content and their news team is very stiff and lack confidence. Also, Jay Jefferies is NOT a certified chief meteorologist. He's a weather forecaster who calls himself a chief meteorologist.

It will be interesting to see if they further expand but my money is on them actually reducing newscasts eventually. They can't be making headway in the ratings. Heck, even when WAGT was a standalone operation they pulled in hashmarks for ratings most of the time.

Although into Speculatron territory, WFXG should really think about reaching out to WJBF and maybe give them extra newscasts - i.e. WJBF could run a 10 pm newscast or extended morning news on WFXG. Nexstar should also look to Lockwood for the same in Dothan and Panama City (at least) as well.

WRDW is one of Gray's weaker stations, so it isn't surprising in a way.

Edited by GoldenShine9

WJW FOX 8 is welcoming back Tom Meyer, Carl Monday, and Tom Merriman as contributors to FOX 8 News I-Team. Combined, the three investigative reporters have 130 years of experience and 156 Emmy awards to the station. All three reporters start Monday.

• Like 3

On 9/17/2019 at 5:46 PM, WAVY 10 Fan said:

And off the heels of the loss of Cokie Roberts, it's being reported that former NBC and ABC correspondent Sander Vanocur has passed away at 91.

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/veteran-television-newsman-sander-vanocur-dies-91-65675917

Among the things Sander was known for would include being a panelist on the first Kennedy-Nixon debate and being the last surviving member of the "Four Horsemen", as NBC used to call their 1960s convention floor quartet of Vanocur, Frank McGee, John Chancellor and Edwin Newman.

He was also the news anchor in the 1994 film, Without Warning, which is where I mostly know him from.

Another weather departure in the Mobile/Pensacola market...this time it's WPMI Chief Meteorologist Chris Dunn....

(I'd post an article from the Mobile Lagniappe but it's not on the web yet and it's behind a paywall)

With the recent departure of Alan Sealls from WKRG and his non-compete probably extending the rest of the year, he is RUMORED to be in the running for the position.  Kelly Foster is coming over from mornings to fill in until a replacement is hired.

The ball is in WPMI's court....if they don't pursue Alan now......

10 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

WJW FOX 8 is welcoming back Tom Meyer, Carl Monday, and Tom Merriman as contributors to FOX 8 News I-Team. Combined, the three investigative reporters have 130 years of experience and 156 Emmy awards to the station. All three reporters start Monday.

You have to wonder what kind of pay cut these people took to appear on TV again.  Going forward with Nexstar (if that holds), they'll all probably be entrusted with "digital first" responsibilities....

Edited by tyrannical bastard

11 hours ago, Weeters said:

All WKYC Circle 3 discussion has been moved to this thread. Please take all discussion about this logo to that thread.

Thanks. I've been wondering when it would happen as about a page and a half of the Out & About thread was being taken up with the WKYC logo discussion

Also as seen on Discord, AT&T might be mulling a sale or a spin-off of it's DIRECTV unit according to multiple reports

32c38e4f-574a-4915-9ff3-ca7836e43029_750

I don't know if anybody was aware of what's happening in Southeast Texas, but Beaumont's KBMT-TV 12 (12.1 ABC & 12.2 NBC) had to evacuate their studio on the count of high flooding in their studio. They'll be broadcasting at their sister station, KHOU-TV for the time being.

https://www.12newsnow.com/article/news/local/12news-kbmt-station-evacuates-flooding/502-3f302131-4911-46f6-a60e-28367ecfd25e

Edited by TexasTVNews

39 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

32c38e4f-574a-4915-9ff3-ca7836e43029_750

I don't know if anybody was aware of what's happening in Southeast Texas, but Beaumont's KBMT-TV 12 (12.1 ABC & 12.2 NBC) had to evacuate their studio on the count of high flooding in their studio. They'll be broadcasting at their sister station, KHOU-TV for the time being.

https://www.12newsnow.com/article/news/local/12news-kbmt-station-evacuates-flooding/502-3f302131-4911-46f6-a60e-28367ecfd25e

Their building looks like an old car dealership.

Well, looks like Tegna's got more hurricane/flooding bills to pay...

2 hours ago, east-tx-tv said:

Their building looks like an old car dealership.

Well, looks like Tegna's got more hurricane/flooding bills to pay...

That building dates back to long before Tegna owned it (and past owners couldn't afford anything bigger). Regardless, the fact it survived Harvey tells something.

• Like 1

FOX 4 (KDFW) Anchor Steve Eagar returns to the anchor desk tonight at 5, 6 & 9pm. Eagar was on medical leave after being diagnosed with prostate cancer surgery. Please, continue to

keep Steve in your prayers and welcome him back tonight starting at 5pm.

Edited by TexasTVNews
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, TheRob said:

Lisa Benson (ex-KSHB) is airing some grievances on Twitter today.

Ahh, KSHB...never change.

It's been a while since Andy Wise left, but WMC is now relaunching its investigative unit with Jessica Jaglois. 

Facebook post

Edited by memnews
Fix link

KPRC is now the third Houston TV station airing an hour of news at 4p, joining KHOU and KTRK. Started this week. They had been running 30 minutes of news, followed by Extra. Extra will continue to be seen at 12:30p and 3:30a. This is a return to an hour of news at 4p for KPRC. They cut it back to half an hour several years ago citing news overload. But I guess those ad dollars were too good to pass up ...

https://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2019/09/kprc-2-expands-4pm-news-to-one-hour.html

33 minutes ago, Greggo said:

KPRC is now the third Houston TV station airing an hour of news at 4p, joining KHOU and KTRK. Started this week. They had been running 30 minutes of news, followed by Extra. Extra will continue to be seen at 12:30p and 3:30a. This is a return to an hour of news at 4p for KPRC. They cut it back to half an hour several years ago citing news overload. But I guess those ad dollars were too good to pass up ...

https://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2019/09/kprc-2-expands-4pm-news-to-one-hour.html

Could've gave KRIV Extra, but they would've buried it to after 11pm. 

But it was only a matter of time before 2 brought back the 4:30 news.