Out & About

TexasTVNews

https://www.facebook.com/130159617072026/posts/2885827961505164/

Maureen O’Boyle has explained why she has been off air for the past 2 weeks. She had been sick since March 17, but thankfully tested negative for the flu, strep and COVID-19. She has now been cleared. Jamie Boll has filled in for her on WBTV News Prime Time at 7. This is certainly good news.

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TheRob said:

Brooke Baldwin is also COVID-19-positive.

The bizarre thing about this is that earlier in the week, Baldwin was brought to tears during an interview with a woman whose mother died from COVID-19, and who couldn’t see her to say goodbye. Little did Baldwin know, she had been infected herself, but was asymptomatic at the time.

Given this and Chris Cuomo’s diagnosis, it’s possible CNN may need to do to its Hudson Yards facility what CBS did to Broadcast Center when its first news employees tested positive. I don’t know if they’ll fall back on using CNN Center in Atlanta as an auxiliary facility for some of its broadcasts (like CNN Newsroom) if a temporary closure for extensive cleaning happens. At least, they should have all of their New York employees that have not yet done so, including on-air talent, work remotely.

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 1

Given the number of cases in New York and and the concentration of our media sources there, it's a very risky time for anyone living or working in that area.

The way things are going, now would be the time for the network's to have their backup plans in place and deploy their facilities in less-affecfed areas (bureaus and O&O stations).  And of course CNN has a perfectly good facility in Atlanta they largely abandoned.....

And for something completely different....

Is Tegna's WTSP getting a new logo?  Noticed a different design on their YT channel. 

Website hasn't changed though. Looks like KGTV circa 1970's/80s. 

NewWTSP.jpg

Edited by 8Viewer

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Given the number of cases in New York and and the concentration of our media sources there, it's a very risky time for anyone living or working in that area.

The way things are going, now would be the time for the network's to have their backup plans in place and deploy their facilities in less-affecfed areas (bureaus and O&O stations).  And of course CNN has a perfectly good facility in Atlanta they largely abandoned.....

CNN Center is very much alive if you watch CNN International. They mention Atlanta often as well, something daytime shows based out of New York don’t seem to like to do, even though their control room is in Atlanta (anything after New Day and before The Lead is switched in ATL).

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, 8Viewer said:

Is Tegna's WTSP getting a new logo?  Noticed a different design on their YT channel. 

NewWTSP.jpg

Reminds me of what Rhode Island's WJAR used in the mid-1980's.

32 minutes ago, 8Viewer said:

NewWTSP.jpg

I got some WBNS vibes in that "10" although it's not exactly in the style of WBNS's logo.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

I got some WBNS vibes in that "10" although it's not exactly in the style of WBNS's logo.

Going by Logopedia, it's a faux-throwback to their 1978 logo version, though that was just a solid block '10' rather than this line-art version.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

Going by Logopedia, it's a faux-throwback to their 1978 logo version, though that was just a solid block '10' rather than this line-art version.

It looks better than the stupid 'black box' they've been using. 

I just watched their online newscast and there has been no change on-air. In 2002, the logo appeared in the St. Petersburg Times a week before it debuted on the air. 

Edited by 8Viewer
  • Like 1

KOTV is currently closed for deep cleaning of the station after one of there workers tested positive for the virus KWTV stepped in to broadcast statewide tonight.  They said the guy is doing well and that he had no contact with anyone in the news and hasn't been at the station for two weeks.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Samantha said:

It's a really cool logo! But it's no faux throwback. Got this higher-res version:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Rhis8eoEk5E/hqdefault.jpg?

It seems the first video with this logo was uploaded March 30.

So maybe Monday they'll debut it? I was hoping they'd do something like their sunset logo but just glad it looks like the "black box" days are numbered. 

WITI announced that their 9am show Real Milwaukee has been mothballed for a temporary hour extension of WakeUp until it's safe to return to their regular format; WTMJ's The Morning Blend has continued, but they've switched to remote interviews and more national 'deal of the day' segments to keep the lights on.

On 3/30/2020 at 2:03 PM, T.L. Hughes said:

Circle City Broadcasting has struck an agreement with the Family Broadcasting Corporation (the former LeSEA Broadcasting) to simulcast WISH-TV’s newscasts on religious-secular independent WHME/South Bend starting April 6. Family Broadcasting’s flagship station will carry around 60 hours per week of WISH’s newscasts, though exactly which ones will be carried and which ones will be exempted have not been immediately specified.

Although the station hasn’t updated its listings to include which of WISH’s newscasts will be shown on its schedule, WHME has (mostly) disclosed which newscasts will be simulcast on the station on its website. On weekdays, WHME will carry all six hours of News 8 Daybreak (4:00-10:00 a.m.), its three-hour early evening news block (4:00-7:00 p.m.) and its late news block (10:00-11:30 p.m.). The only weekday newscast that WHME will not carry is the 11:00 a.m. midday show.

While it also noted it would carry WISH’s weekend newscasts, the page didn’t specify which ones; presumably, it will carry the full schedule (Saturday and Sunday editions of Daybreak, and the 6:00, 10:00 and 11:00 p.m. newscasts as well as the SportsLocker), although Family Broadcasting’s stations have usually filled much of their Sunday schedules with religious programming, so it’s possible that WHME may have to shuffle some of those shows around the schedule and maybe even drop some of the secular classic series that it airs on Sunday afternoons (or even a couple of the religious programs it airs at other parts of the day) to incorporate all of WISH’s Sunday newscasts.

Edited by T.L. Hughes

16 hours ago, 8Viewer said:

So maybe Monday they'll debut it? I was hoping they'd do something like their sunset logo but just glad it looks like the "black box" days are numbered. 

The logo may look similar to KGTV and WJAR's old logos but I think it looks more like a knockoff of WFLA's 1982-1988 Spirit of Tampa Bay "Figure 8" logo. Kind of an odd looking logo for 2020.

WFLA 1982-2.png

WXFL.jpg

Edited by jerseyfla
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 9:12 PM, Samantha said:

It's a really cool logo! But it's no faux throwback. Got this higher-res version:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Rhis8eoEk5E/hqdefault.jpg?

It seems the first video with this logo was uploaded March 30.

Honestly I'm not that big of a fan.  If they had the 10 numbers solid instead of those lines maybe I would like it more.  But I do like the Tampa Bay font below it.  I'm going to miss the coastal "wave" theme of their outgoing logo.

We'll have to see how it looks when they actually roll this out OTA.  Maybe it'll look better than this preview...we shall see either way

Edited by TheRyan
  • Like 1

WEAR in Pensacola has suspended operations in their building for the time being due to two of their employees testing positive for COVID-19.  They are currently simulcasting WPMI's newscasts out of Mobile.

Sue Straughn, their lead anchor did a live shot outside of their station on Mobile Highway in Pensacola during Sunday's 5pm show.  Steve Nissim, WEAR's weekend sports anchor provided a sportscast remotely from home.

The interesting thing is that WPMI and WJTC's master control is inside WEAR's facility...so they HAVE to remain operational for the 4 stations in the market.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
updated info

2 hours ago, jerseyfla said:

The logo may look similar to KGTV and WJAR's old logos but I think it looks more like a knockoff of WFLA's 1982-1988 Spirit of Tampa Bay "Figure 8" logo. Kind of an odd looking logo for 2020.

WFLA 1982-2.png

WXFL.jpg

Given how uninspired and/or dire a lot of local TV logos have been the last 20 years or so, I'll take it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

Although the station hasn’t updated its listings to include which of WISH’s newscasts will be shown on its schedule, WHME has (mostly) disclosed which newscasts will be simulcast on the station on its website. On weekdays, WHME will carry all six hours of News 8 Daybreak (4:00-10:00 a.m.), its three-hour early evening news block (4:00-7:00 p.m.) and its late news block (10:00-11:30 p.m.). The only weekday newscast that WHME will not carry is the 11:00 a.m. midday show.

While it also noted it would carry WISH’s weekend newscasts, the page didn’t specify which ones; presumably, it will carry the full schedule (Saturday and Sunday editions of Daybreak, and the 6:00, 10:00 and 11:00 p.m. newscasts as well as the SportsLocker), although Family Broadcasting’s stations have usually filled much of their Sunday schedules with religious programming, so it’s possible that WHME may have to shuffle some of those shows around the schedule and maybe even drop some of the secular classic series that it airs on Sunday afternoons (or even a couple of the religious programs it airs at other parts of the day) to incorporate all of WISH’s Sunday newscasts.

This is what I was looking for.

2 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

I really thought we were going to see the reboot of "The Tube"... but, I guess it's not to be.

Or... The Tube Music Network. I wish THAT came back.

2 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

I really thought we were going to see the reboot of "The Tube"... but, I guess it's not to be.

I’m thinking this is temporary. They closed the deal in the middle of coronavirus mania so it’s not really a good time to rebuild a station from scratch. Between news from KHOU, Tegna shows such as DBL and Sister Circle and syndie stuff not airing in Houston, there’s plenty available out there and I’m guessing they’ll roll things out when it calms down. Spending $15 million to buy a station that airs a straight simulcast of Quest makes zero sense. 

• Like 2

Here's the official word about WEAR having to suspend local operations and simulcast WPMI newscasts...

https://weartv.com/news/local/changes-to-newscast-after-two-wear-employees-test-positive-for-covid-19

UPDATE:  It appears WEAR is only simulcasting the newscasts that WPMI carries, so the 4:30 AM show was replaced with another half hour of America This Morning.

They're currently running a presser from the state of Florida with no graphics at all, since their studio control room is off limits.

We'll see what they do at 11am, 4pm 9pm on WFGX, and the extra half-hour at 10pm.  Could this mean that Nightline airs LIVE for the first time in a generation?

(or they could do like they are allowed to do with NBC for now, and have BOTH WPMI and WEAR go for an hour...WPMI has not opted for this option)

UPDATES:

11am - Newscast from WPMI on WEAR. 

4pm- Mobile-based newscast with Kelly Foster anchoring  AND doing weather with WEAR reporters live out in the field from Pensacola.

5 & 6 - straight simulcast of WPMI newscasts -  Sue Straughn is live from the front yard of WEAR and co-anchors remotely.

9pm- no newscast on WFGX, replaced by Inside Edition

10pm - straight simulcast of WPMI with Bob Solarski in front of WEAR building co-anchoring with Greg Peterson in studio.  WEAR airs Inside Edition at 10:35 instead of taking ABC live.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
10pm update