Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
TexasTVNews

Out & About

More morning shakeup at ABC 7 Mornings.

Alexis Smith, Traffic anchor is going on maternity leave and moving back to Seattle since her husband got a new job opportunity. She came from Seattle prior to ABC 7.

this comes months after Jessica Castro, Live news desk anchor left the station not too long ago.

Posted (edited)

The Lagniappe weekly newspaper had their annual "Nappie Awards", a best-of competition that readers vote on....

Best Meteorologist?   Alan Sealls.

(I'd post a link but the site is behind a paywall now)

I'm hoping Ed can bring some experience back into this market but it may be difficult trying to fill the void with Alan Sealls' departure.   This and the AT&T blackout could be devasting to WKRG's ratings....not to mention the "retirement" of longtime anchor Mel Showers. (He still fills in from time to time...)

Edited by tyrannical bastard

Just now, tyrannical bastard said:

The Lagniappe weekly newspaper had their annual "Nappie Awards", a best-of competition that readers vote on....

Best Meteorologist?   Alan Sealls.

(I'd post a link but the site is behind a paywall now)

I'm hoping Ed can bring some experience back into this market but it may be difficult trying to fill the void with Alan Sealls departure.   This and the AT&T blackout could be devasting to WKRG's ratings....not to mention the retirement of longtime anchor Mel Showers.

Speaking of Alan, maybe WALA will take him on after the non-compete expires?

5 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Speaking of Alan, maybe WALA will take him on after the non-compete expires?

If Biloxi-Gulfport is not included in the scope, then WLOX could be an option as well.

Over at WPMI, they recently lost Jake Dunne as he will be going to mornings at KWCH in Wichita...sort of a homecoming for him since he's a Kansas native and interned at KWCH early in his career.

And since WPMI is down to 2 (and Chris Dunn is on vacation?), WEAR Chief Allen Strum is appearing on WPMI in a pre-taped forecast.  I'm hoping it doesn't set a precedent for the future.  Kelly Foster, the only other meteorologist is still doing double duty in the mornings (BOTH anchor & weather), and the noon show is her solo.

WKBT La Crosse's Lisa Klein said goodbye to the station last week after nearly 22 years.

https://www.news8000.com/news/wkbt-s-lisa-klein-says-goodbye/1096499307

KXMC Minot's Jim Olson is saying goodbye tomorrow after delivering sports at KX Television for 33 years.

https://www.kxnet.com/good-day-dakota/someone-you-should-know/someone-you-should-know-a-farewell-to-jim-olson/

48 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

A brand new program is coming to WJAR's airwaves starting September 3rd that'll replace that boring informerical slot at 12:30 p.m.

https://www.facebook.com/studio10wjar/

Never understood stations that have paid programming at 12:30 weekdays. WJXT is also a victim of this.

6 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Never understood stations that have paid programming at 12:30 weekdays. WJXT is also a victim of this.

Some stations just need the extra money when they exceed their budgets. BTW, how much does the average paid program pay out to a local station?

2 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

A brand new program is coming to WJAR's airwaves starting September 3rd that'll replace that boring informerical slot at 12:30 p.m.

https://www.facebook.com/studio10wjar/

Oh another one of those lifestyle programs with paid product placements and stories... Doesn't RI already have one on WPRI 12 called the Rhode Show?  Can the market sustain both?

On 7/26/2019 at 4:22 PM, Georgie56 said:

IKR? I just wish WJXT would expand their noon news to an hour already. Unfortauntely, Look Local at 12:30 p.m. on Wednesdays prevent that from happening (though it hasn't run on WJXT in sometime, according to TitanTV).

On 7/26/2019 at 4:22 PM, Georgie56 said:

And WKYC and WEWS as well. 12:30 has always been off and on with infomercials for WEWS, but moreso with WKYC as of late. Hell, at one point, WKYC ran E/I in that 12:30 timeslot back 2 or 3 years back.

KUSA Has E/I at 12:30PM on Fridays and that has only been since October.  It's kinda weird.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, DENDude said:

KUSA Has E/I at 12:30PM on Fridays and that has only been since October.  It's kinda weird.

Given that the network is airing all those live sporting events that would eat up all that time, I'm surprised that KUSA is not airing E/I stuff at 12:30pm every weekday. That would only leave one E/I show to air on the weekend.

Edited by CircleSeven

It was just announced on the 5pm newscast that it will be Double Duties for Darren Peck as he joins the weekend evening crew at KPIX with Brian Hackney and Juliette Goodrich.

He currently does weather for the 6am Sat and Sun weekend newscasts.

Seems like it’s a normality for the weekend weather anchors to do double duties which I’ve seen at other stations and markets.

Dave Scott - KUSI 

Vianey Arana - KNTV (when Rob Mayeda is out)

Terry Burnhans and Brooke Landau when XETV still had a Newscast

Brian Hackney who is also a back up fill in weather anchor has been doing Hybrid Anchoring and Weather at KPIX on and off the past 4 years.....This finally fills in the weekend void when Roberta Gonzalez used to be the weekend weather meteorologist before her final year at KPIX switching to weekday mornings after Lawrence Karnow left for KRON. 

On 7/26/2019 at 5:01 PM, NowBergen said:

Oh another one of those lifestyle programs with paid product placements and stories... Doesn't RI already have one on WPRI 12 called the Rhode Show?  Can the market sustain both?

And it's like the third show with that name.  WALA (the one-time sister station to WPRI under LIN) has Studio 10 and I believe WTSP used that name as well.

On 7/26/2019 at 3:22 PM, Georgie56 said:

Blame the networks for not having ever provided a strong way to program 12:30. You've got The Bold and the Beautiful on CBS just eating everyone's lunch otherwise, an hour-long newscast is just repeating the noon all over, or you can go the paid advertorial route and alienate everyone. Someone's going to buy a WORX device and justify the money, and Humana needs to get people to know about Medicare Part D plans at a time they're awake. It's just the way things are and I don't think any lower of a station that does it.

On 7/26/2019 at 3:30 PM, hmaxhanson said:

Some stations just need the extra money when they exceed their budgets. BTW, how much does the average paid program pay out to a local station?

Anyone on this board could afford to buy a half-hour of time on a mid-market local TV station.

On 7/26/2019 at 6:01 PM, NowBergen said:

Probably. The Rhode Show isn't as paid as one would think it is, I know people who have paid their way on and people whose organization was approached by the producers. This thing will probably be a lot more paid than that, especially at the outset.

One DMA over, Hartford has two (WTNH's CT Style, WVIT's CT Live) plus the, IIRC, not-paid Better Connecticut on WFSB. Providence can easily do two but what that market really could use is someone doing news at 4:00.

47 minutes ago, TheRob said:

Anyone on this board could afford to buy a half-hour of time on a mid-market local TV station.

Easily explains some of the "local" programming I'd see in OK before I made the move. Oof.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

Blame the networks for not having ever provided a strong way to program 12:30. You've got The Bold and the Beautiful on CBS just eating everyone's lunch otherwise, an hour-long newscast is just repeating the noon all over, or you can go the paid advertorial route and alienate everyone. Someone's going to buy a WORX device and justify the money, and Humana needs to get people to know about Medicare Part D plans at a time they're awake. It's just the way things are and I don't think any lower of a station that does it.

I think you mean, "you've got The Young and the Restless or The Bold and the Beautiful on CBS just eating everyone's lunch otherwise." Y&R airs at 12:30 on most CBS stations in the Eastern and Pacific Time Zones, B&B airs at that slot in the other time zones and on any CBS stations in the Pacific Time Zone that follow the Central/Mountain scheduling for the daytime lineup (assuming that there are any).

Edited by T.L. Hughes