Out & About

TexasTVNews

It's happening in other places across the country, and in Mobile, WALA has suspended production of their Studio 10 lifestyle program in favor of another hour of news in the morning at 9 a.m.

It wouldn't surprise me if WPMI did the same by putting Gulf Coast Today on hiatus and making their noon show a full hour again.  Due to their ownership situation, they are landlocked with the number of hours of news they can produce... Could the FCC make an emergency declaration to temporarily suspend this?

Edited by tyrannical bastard

1 minute ago, MorningNews said:

KXAS also extended their 6 PM broadcast to an hour as well. They mentioned that they would continue to do that throughout the health crisis.

WMAQ, as well, within the station group.

3 minutes ago, KRAP-TV said:

Anyone else find it a little ironic that this thread is called "Out and About," but we're not supposed to be out and about with this whole coronavirus situation?

#RandomThoughtTuesday

Motion to temporarily change title to In and Quarantin' in these uncertain times.

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, AaronQ said:

You know, I failed to mention that on WCNC, they cut "Charlotte Today" to 30 minutes and no live guests. Their midday newscast now starts at 11:30am.

Good move.

Edited by Nelson R.

2 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

WSAZ...

Social distancing since 1956.

Even Chet Huntley and David Brinkley copied it years later...decades before it became a necessity!

Even all of the Fort Smith stations used to be that way until in recent years when everybody moved to the NWA area.

I wonder if they went back to that format now with this social distancing stuff

Just now, oknewsguy said:

Even all of the Fort Smith stations used to be that way until in recent years when everybody moved to the NWA area.

WSAZ has always had a dual-market approach and is currently the only station based out of Huntington. 

WCHS has always been Charleston based, but has attempted some coverage of Huntington over the years...mostly from their "Putnam County Newsroom"...aka the WVAH studios in Hurricane.

WOWK was based out of Huntington for many years, and even copied WSAZ's "dual box" approach for a while, but ended up doing the whole show out of Huntington....until 2012 when the main studios moved to Downtown Charleston in a portion of the Charleston City Center Mall.

4 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

WSAZ has always had a dual-market approach and is currently the only station based out of Huntington. 

WCHS has always been Charleston based, but has attempted some coverage of Huntington over the years...mostly from their "Putnam County Newsroom"...aka the WVAH studios in Hurricane.

WOWK was based out of Huntington for many years, and even copied WSAZ's "dual box" approach for a while, but ended up doing the whole show out of Huntington....until 2012 when the main studios moved to Downtown Charleston in a portion of the Charleston City Center Mall.

Pretty much WSAZ doesn't have to worry about social distancing that their competitors have to worry about.

5 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Pretty much WSAZ doesn't have to worry about social distancing that their competitors have to worry about.

Since they debuted the news set in January of 2019, all the shows have been anchored out of the Huntington studios. However, they have brought back the “dual box” during this pandemic.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

They should put Barren's background as a live shot of Charleston just for keeps! Lmao.

• Haha 1

Here is an example and explanation of KGW's "social distancing" at the start of their 5pm show Monday. They have also ditched their usual 7pm entertainment show for a half hour of responding to viewer questions. They have this new thing as well where people can text in questions to their newsroom phone number.

• Like 1

Here in Savannah, they’re not even bothering with spacing anchors all over the set. All 3 stations only have 1 news anchor per newscast. The only exception is WTOC’s local talk show Morning Break, which had 2 hosts at the main desk and one at a stand up area.

As for expanding newscasts, WTOC has expanded their existing half-hour 4pm news to a full hour, bumping Right This Minute to 1:30am. Further down Chatham Parkway, WJCL is not adding any news to their schedule. WSAV is following WNBC’s lead and they are live from 11pm-midnight. Unfortunately, their advertorial at 11:30am is still in place. They already have midday news at 11a, so they should expand it to a full hour.

Also, yesterday SAV rebroadcast last year’s St Pattys Day Parade since this year’s was cancelled for obvious reasons. I guess they didn’t want to give refunds to advertisers or something.

Surprised no one mentioned this, but there is now a case of COVID-19 involving a network news personality. ABC News correspondent Kaylee Hartung revealed Wednesday that she is recovering in self-quarantine after contracting the illness while reporting on its effects in Washington State, one of the coronavirus’ early hotspots.

Good news is her symptoms—which she originally thought were allergies, given she didn’t experience shortness of breath, dry cough or chest tightness, the primary symptoms associated with the coronavirus—aren’t as severe as they were early on, stating that at its worst, “I was fatigued. I was not looking forward to getting out of bed. I had a headache right between the eyes. I was congested. I had body aches. My lower back was really hurting.” She is worried about having spread the illness to others when she was asymptomatic.

Also, the coronavirus is affecting the family of NBC/Telemundo anchor Jose Diaz-Balart, as his brother, U.S. Representative Mario Diaz-Balart (R-FL) was one of two Congressmen to be diagnosed (along with Ben McAdams [D-UT]) in an announcement Wednesday, resulting in other Congressional members who had contact with the two House Reps. to self-quarantine. I don’t know if Jose decided to take time off from his anchoring duties at Telemundo in light of his brother’s diagnosis, but it would seem difficult to report on your own brother having been afflicted with a respiratory disease you have been reporting on for a few weeks.

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Sad 5