Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
TexasTVNews

Out & About

8 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

Bet Sinclair wish they thought of it first.

The started this patriotic broadcasting with the flags during the broadcast and in the background of their sets. 

12 hours ago, MikePulse said:

As those of us over a certain age will remember, this is not a new idea. Back in the days when television stations (other than a few metropolitan powerhouses) went off the air at the end of the broadcast day (usually around 1:00 AM), the national anthem was played. Then, when they signed on again (usually around 4AM), it was played again. Once stations adopted a 24 hour schedule (late 70s/ early 80s), the sign-off/ sign-on routines went away.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MikePulse said:

I half expected Sinclair to bring this tradition back, but good for Gray. IIRC, before XETV went Spanish, they played the American and Mexican national anthems at 5AM, even after they went 24 hours. At some point, they went to solely playing the Mexican anthem (I assume it's law in Mexico!) even to this day.

I believe KTRK used to play it in the early morning as of earlier this decade, even going so far as to get sponsorship for it.

Naturally, I can't find the video now.

Posted (edited)

Last Monday (June 3), Nashville's WTVF changed their profile picture on Facebook to include the rainbow flag in a show of support for Pride Month. But less than an hour, it was removed and went back to the old one after complaints from viewers online. WTVF, who has a long history of supporting the LGBT community and equality, airs Out & About Today (the station partnered with LGBT magazine Out & About Nashville) on their NewsChannel 5 Plus channel since 2005. 

FTVLive (6/5 article): https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/6/5/nashville-station-caves-to-pressure

Out & About Nashville: https://outandaboutnashville.com/removal-of-pride-logo-causes-pr-firestorm/

FTVLive article with WTVF's statement (6/6 article): https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/6/6/the-intern-did-it

Edited by tw-804

2 hours ago, tw-804 said:

Last Monday (June 3), Nashville's WTVF changed their profile picture on Facebook to include the rainbow flag in a show of support for Pride Month. But less than an hour, it was removed and went back to the old one after complaints from viewers online.

Fμcking ridiculous.

Kids, can you say "homophobic"?

2 hours ago, tw-804 said:

WTVF, who has a long history of supporting the LGBT community and equality, airs Out & About Today (the station partnered with LGBT magazine Out & About Nashville) on their NewsChannel 5 Plus channel since 2005.

They should've kept it up. I don't care how many "people" are uncomfortable about one FB picture; those like them shouldn't have the power to sway a big 4 TV station who has that much of a more open mind than them to take down a simply innocuous photo celebrating the LGBTQ+ community -- especially when they air a program that also supports the LGBTQ+ community. Yeah sure, viewership, but when they say "I'm not watching anymore" because of one photo, do they really mean it?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Action Newsroom said:

Fμcking ridiculous.

Kids, can you say "homophobic"?

They should've kept it up. I don't care how many "people" are uncomfortable about one FB picture; those like them shouldn't have the power to sway a big 4 TV station who has that much of a more open mind than them to take down a simply innocuous photo celebrating the LGBTQ+ community -- especially when they air a program that also supports the LGBTQ+ community. Yeah sure, viewership, but when they say "I'm not watching anymore" because of one photo, do they really mean it?

No!

Just because they had an internal "issue" with the graphic , are we are all to now assume they (WTVF) are now openly hostile to the LGBT community?

Stop it...it's ridiculous to get outraged and offended over it.

Cut them a break...not everyone is out to offend.

Edited by Eat News
Shaun,Ovan-She's a Hipster .. https://youtu.be/ZlAz7EuzViA

New M&A tonight. Weigel is making another purchase.

They're buying Glenwood Springs, CO's KREG-TV from Marquee Broadcasting for $2M.

This was the former satellite of Grand Junction's CBS station KREX-TV. During Gray's acquisition of the station's former owner, Hoak in 2014, Gray decided to keep its incumbent NBC outlet KKCO, and spin-off KREX (and its satellites) to Nexstar. Nexstar spun-off satellite KREG in 2017 to Marquee to alleviate national cap space after its purchase of Media General.

Posted (edited)

Meanwhile in Honolulu, KHON2's Kathy Muneno has left the station to spend more time with her kids. She anchored the news on KHON since 2007 and worked as a Hawaii news broadcaster for over 25 years.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/06/09/hawaii-news/newswatch/khon2-news-anchor-kathy-muneno-is-leaving-the-station-after-tonights-newscast/

Edited by tw-804

Interesting how KGO is simulcasting WPIX and then switched to WCBS of the Breaking News of the Helicopter Crash into the building.

4 minutes ago, SFTV said:

Interesting how KGO is simulcasting WPIX and then switched to WCBS of the Breaking News of the Helicopter Crash into the building.

WABC also is broadcasting live, why not use their own sister station??????  Note the only NYC station that is not covering this live is WNYW FOX5.  CBS2, NBC4, ABC7 and PIX11 are all live.  I guess Fox values Dish Nation higher than breaking news.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NowBergen said:

WABC also is broadcasting live, why not use their own sister station??????  Note the only NYC station that is not covering this live is WNYW FOX5.  CBS2, NBC4, ABC7 and PIX11 are all live.  I guess Fox values Dish Nation higher than breaking news.

"Flying transportation machine flew into a building in New York City? Nah, not a big deal. I doubt people would be interested in that. Not like the city would still be sensitive to the idea of flying machines flying into buildings or anything. Carry on (but let me know if someone dies)."

39 minutes ago, NowBergen said:

40 minutes ago, NowBergen said:

At the time WABC may not have been feeding CNN or uplinking the feeds yet to ABC News One. We’re they taking a simulcast or just footage? ABC and CBS subscribe to CNN NewSource so they can take anything they want that isn’t embargoed - even if it’s a competitor station. Say KGO has footage from a car chase from KABC but KCBS has a better angle/PQ they can take that. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SFTV said:

Why would a station in San Francisco interrupt their regular programming to simulcast coverage of a helicopter crash in NYC?

2 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

"Flying transportation machine flew into a building in New York City? Nah, not a big deal. I doubt people would be interested in that. Not like the city would still be sensitive to the idea of flying machines flying into buildings or anything. Carry on (but let me know if someone dies)."

You are actually wrong on several counts.  New Yorkers are very sensitive to "flying machines" hitting buildings today, but more importantly, the area is a no fly zone - both because of what happened 9/11 and its close proximity to trump's tower and home.  The helicopters are usually restricted to the rivers and this one was to be headed south to it's home base in Linden NJ, not north.  

25 minutes ago, mre29 said:

Why would a station in San Francisco interrupt their regular programming to simulcast coverage of a helicopter crash in NYC?

Because it was during their 11am newscast when they broke the story followed by an ABC NEWS Special Report.

8 minutes ago, SFTV said:

Because it was during their 11am newscast when they broke the story followed by an ABC NEWS Special Report.

Okay, that makes sense.

But.

If the crash had been in SF and the story broke during WABC's noon newscast, would WABC have covered it? And would ABC News have aired a special report for it?

2 hours ago, rkolsen said:

At the time WABC may not have been feeding CNN or uplinking the feeds yet to ABC News One. We’re they taking a simulcast or just footage? ABC and CBS subscribe to CNN NewSource so they can take anything they want that isn’t embargoed - even if it’s a competitor station. Say KGO has footage from a car chase from KABC but KCBS has a better angle/PQ they can take that. 

This. CNN Newsource was probably already routed into the switcher and the producers just went with whatever feed would put pictures of the news on-air the fastest.

The last thing on their mind was "Gosh I wonder if WABC is feeding this somewhere. Let's waste time getting that feed routed into the switcher instead of taking the one already available."

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Weeters said:

This. CNN Newsource was probably already routed into the switcher and the producers just went with whatever feed would put pictures of the news on-air the fastest.

The last thing on their mind was "Gosh I wonder if WABC is feeding this somewhere. Let's waste time getting that feed routed into the switcher instead of taking the one already available."

All of this is correct. Do the ABC O&Os have an internal bonded cellular grid like pretty much everybody else? Even so, WABC in the heat of the moment may not have been feeding.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, NowBergen said:

When I tuned in around 3pm, all NYC news stations was on including WNYW, WXTV, NY1, and News 12 BK/BX.

I was impressed with N12 and WXTV with their live coverage usually they rarely show up. On the other hand, NY1 spent way too much tv time on anchors and reporters in the studio instead of showing videos and pictures plus they were bragging about themselves about Gov. Cuomo (who was closer to the area due an event he was attending nearby) talking to them before Mayor DeBlasio (who came back from Iowa early in the morning and was at City Hall when it happened).

Case in point: 

Edited by RGSJenkins