Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
TexasTVNews

Out & About

13 hours ago, NYPhillynews said:

I wonder where Sharon will end up next??

Could a clue be in another post on today's FTV Live?

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/4/26/black-news-channel-to-launch-this-fall

Or...is her ego so large she's headed towards something a bit more....mainstream?  I'm not so sure though since she undoubtedly has a very "urban" style...and was a major component to WOIO's success in the mid-2000's.  (Her sparring with Mike Trivisonno was classic.)  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/26/2019 at 11:56 AM, atlnewsfan03 said:

It'll be interesting to see who'll replace Reed.  If they went with an inside pick, it'd likely be Shon Gables, Tracye Hutchens, Gurvir Dhindsa, or Karyn Greer being considered.  Not sure of the chances Stephany Fisher would be rehired.  Or CBS 46 could go with an outside pick, it'd likely be someone from a competing station, or from a different TV market.  It'll also be interesting to see whether Reed has landed a job at a TV station in a bigger TV market or one of the networks, if she's staying in the TV news business.

Karyn Greer is a good choice but pretty unlikely. She was, however, a main anchor at WGCL weeknights in the 90s when the station was WGNX alongside Steve Dawson, who later went on to WHBQ in Memphis and then retired.

On 4/26/2019 at 1:39 PM, ttvn2000 said:

Could a clue be in another post on today's FTV Live?

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/4/26/black-news-channel-to-launch-this-fall

Or...is her ego so large she's headed towards something a bit more....mainstream?  I'm not so sure though since she undoubtedly has a very "urban" style...and was a major component to WOIO's success in the mid-2000's.  (Her sparring with Mike Trivisonno was classic.)  

Maybe she's going back to WOIO? I mean Gray is trying to reinvent the wheel.

Edited by KentBrockman
  • Like 1

On 4/26/2019 at 9:56 AM, atlnewsfan03 said:

It'll be interesting to see who'll replace Reed.  If they went with an inside pick, it'd likely be Shon Gables, Tracye Hutchens, Gurvir Dhindsa, or Karyn Greer being considered.  Not sure of the chances Stephany Fisher would be rehired.  Or CBS 46 could go with an outside pick, it'd likely be someone from a competing station, or from a different TV market.  It'll also be interesting to see whether Reed has landed a job at a TV station in a bigger TV market or one of the networks, if she's staying in the TV news business.

FTVlive is saying Shon Gables is likely to get Sharon’s spot and that Tracye Hutchins would remain on mornings.

Posted (edited)

Meanwhile, just a few miles across town...

WAGA wins a 2018 Peabody Award  -- their third after Paradise Saved (1982) and Singled Out (1999) -- for $2 Tests: Bad Arrests

UPDATE: Fox 5 will air the $2 Tests stories as a half-hour special this Thursday at 7:00 pm; why didn't WWL do the same for their multi-part "Facing Reality" with Bill Elder (which won that very same Peabody in 1993)?

Edited by johnnya2k6

1 hour ago, TheRob said:

Say hello to Chet Curtis, Tony Pepper, Gary LaPierre, Don Kent, John Henning, Dick Albert and plenty more up there for me. 😢

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

KXAS has found its replacement for the departed Mark Fein on their morning news.  It's Laura Harris, who comes to Fort Worth by way of Atlanta, Charleston (SC), and Tampa.  She will co-anchor with longtime KXASer Deborah Ferguson, making up a rare all-female anchor team in the market.

https://www.guidelive.com/tv/2019/04/29/laura-harris-nbc5-kxas-channel-5-new-anchor-two-woman-morning-show

With the recent shooting at a San Diego area Synagogue, KFMB, CBS-8 San Diego, has decided to not use the name or image of the alleged shooter in stories until the legal proceedings occur.  They state that victims (those injured or just present at the shooting) can be traumatized by the repeated use of the shooter's name or photo.

I have not seen any other San Diego station do the same. 

So MSNBC had on Philip Crowther reporting from Caracas, Venezuela.  He was listed as an Associated Press International Affiliate Reporter.  So how is that different from a regular reporter or is he a reporter that is designated for doing live shots for various media entities?

He's been France 24's White House correspondent for years and recently announced on twitter that he'd be reporting for the AP as well. I'm guessing the deal is something along the lines of the latter of what you said- France 24 is his primary employer (and AP affiliate) and while out and about around the world, he can file reports for the AP as well.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thank goodness that job didn't go to Ella Dosery.

I don't like her AT ALL

Edited by TheWatcherAtl

Posted (edited)

So it looks like meteorologists returning to the Hampton Roads region after leaving elsewhere looks like a trend so far (coupling the following with Jeff Edmondson returning to WAVY)

Craig Moeller, newly dropped from KSDK in St. Louis, heading back to WVEC to return for a "great opportunity" (WVEC already has 5 meteorologists and per a tweet by Jeff Lawson he's going to be meteorologist number 6)

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/4/29/gone-in-st-louis

Edited by WAVY 10 Fan
Clarification

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

Adair nearly made the jump to market #3 in 1967. Management at Chicago's WBKB (a year away from becoming WLS) attempted to lure the pair of Doug Adair and Joel Daly. Daly took the bait, developing a 50-year bond with ABC, while Adair stayed put, and became a legend in Ohio.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

He was at the helm of the team at WCMH when for pretty much the only time ever they were the clear #1 station.

I did not know he had Alzheimer's later in life. That is tough, but at least he is no longer suffering.

Edited by H4UL4U
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 11:47 AM, ihEARDtHAT said:

With the recent shooting at a San Diego area Synagogue, KFMB, CBS-8 San Diego, has decided to not use the name or image of the alleged shooter in stories until the legal proceedings occur.  They state that victims (those injured or just present at the shooting) can be traumatized by the repeated use of the shooter's name or photo.

I have not seen any other San Diego station do the same. 

So is KFMB going to do this in all shooting cases?

Just asking...since I don't want anyone else "traumatized" by the faces of shooting suspects.

8 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

R.I.P. Doug Adair he & Mona took NewsWatch 4 to #1...Got to meet him, and he was a genuinely nice man..

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

An end of an era in Boston television is upon us. Lynch's last night on the sports desk will be on August 15th.

The question is who replaces him: Conventional wisdom would say Friday/Saturday sports anchor Bob Halloran, especially since Josh Brogadir, has been transitioning to general assignment reporting. Does 5 go with the tried and true, as they often do, or go off the board?

Edited by scrabbleship
  • Sad 1

While not TV related....this is BIG news out of New Orleans, and proof that good old fashioned demand can overcome the stupidity and short-sightness of a lousy owner....

https://www.nola.com/news/2019/05/owners-of-the-new-orleans-advocate-buy-nolacom-the-times-picayune.html

The Manships created a New Orleans edition of the Advocate in response to the T-P going to a 3-day schedule.  Eventually the T-P relented and went back to publishing 7 days a week.  The Manships ended up selling the Advocate to Georges Media, while retaining WBRZ and KRGV.  Even as the T-P tried to undo the damage, the new Advocate pushed them into 2nd place in New Orleans.

Now if only someone can make the other Advance papers (and clusters) great again. 

I know newspapers are a dying industry, but the decent companies are still putting out a quality product while those that slash and burn are getting wha'ts coming to them for their cost-cutting...

• Like 3