Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
TexasTVNews

Out & About

On 4/10/2019 at 3:13 PM, JoseRM303 said:

Married KSHB co-anchors Rhiannon Ally & Mike Marusarz stepping down from anchor desk; Christa Dubill & Kevin Holmes to replace them:

https://www.adweek.com/tvspy/married-co-anchors-mike-marusarz-and-rhiannon-ally-step-down-from-kshb-replacements-names/213809

On 4/10/2019 at 8:23 PM, Asomrjsurf said:

FTVLive saying the station "decided to part ways" with the two is a stretch at best (but what else is new for him?). They have three kids that are all like, under the age of 5. They both worked primetime in TV news. How they ever had time to be with their kids is a mystery to me. Good for them though focusing on their children. I'm sure it was tough working their schedule with such young children.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Does this mean KCTV's 7pm news is gone?

they probably expect Spectrum Sports KC to go away soon, and most of it's content has been reruns for the past few years, but why launch it during the slower time for sports in KC? why not wait until football season?

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/article213963899.html

Edited by nomadcowatbk

18 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

FTVLive saying the station "decided to part ways" with the two is a stretch at best (but what else is new for him?). They have three kids that are all like, under the age of 5. They both worked primetime in TV news. How they ever had time to be with their kids is a mystery to me. Good for them though focusing on their children. I'm sure it was tough working their schedule with such young children.

I’m pretty sure it was their choice to leave. Doing 3 shows a night and I doubt they had a dinner break with enough time to go home and see their kids probably weighed on them. If they do find another gig I imagine it will be reasonable hours 

And at different times. Looks like just 30 minutes the show. Spectrum Sports could move to second channel of it. The News channel hasen't launched yet.  They need to keep Newscast and add back 7am but go to 9am.also expand Weekends to an hour and add some Co-Anchors on Weekends and Noon/4PM.

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

After 50 years at WKRG, It looks like the time is coming for Mel Showers.....

Retirement. It's a bad kept secret but that's what it is. Mel Showers will be retiring from WKRG. Not many anchors can claim to have worked for 50 years in just one station. Don Alhart and Dave Ward are the only ones I can think of right now.

• Sad 2

Also, Cherish Lombard returns to Mobile to anchor WFNA's 9pm newscast (and possibly other WKRG ones) starting Thursday.

She come from WKRN in Nashville and before that, she was a reporter at WALA and was the original co-host of Studio 10.  She was also a longtime DJ on WABB 97.5 before moving to TV.

13 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Retirement. It's a bad kept secret but that's what it is. Mel Showers will be retiring from WKRG. Not many anchors can claim to have worked for 50 years in just one station. Don Alhart and Dave Ward are the only ones I can think of right now.

If Jim Vance were still with us, I think he would still be doing the 6pm show on WRC.  I know he stepped down from the 11 a year or so before his cancer diagnosis, but I'm pretty sure we'd still be hearing Vance telling us about the day at 6pm, damn I miss that man.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2017 at 12:38 AM, CircleSeven said:

Former ABC affiliate in Macon, GA, WPGA, has filed for Chapter 11.

Follow-Up.

From this latest paperwork, it looks like the station will be in the hands of the creditors.

The proposed pro forma transfer of control is being effectuated pursuant to an order of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Georgia approving a settlement agreement between, inter alia, the Debtors and Green Bull and terminating the automatic stay of bankruptcy protection afforded to Debtors in order to enable Green Bull to exercise its rights as a secured creditor of Register. As explained herein, the Transaction is involuntary, does not involve a substantial change of control of Radio Perry DIP {debtor-in-possession}, and can be processed and approved pursuant to the FCC’s pro forma procedures and requirements using FCC Form 316 because (i) Radio Perry DIP presently is operating under the control of the Bankruptcy Court, (ii) Green Bull will assume control of Radio Perry DIP pursuant to an order of the Bankruptcy Court, and (iii) Radio Perry DIP will continue to remain under the control of the Bankruptcy Court until such time as the Bankruptcy Court and the FCC approve the subsequent sale of Radio Perry DIP’s assets pursuant to Section 363 of the United States Bankruptcy Code  to a yet-to-be-determined buyer.

I'm hoping an owner like Marquee Broadcasting would come up and buy this station. 

4 hours ago, TriangleTriadMediaNews said:

If Jim Vance were still with us, I think he would still be doing the 6pm show on WRC.  I know he stepped down from the 11 a year or so before his cancer diagnosis, but I'm pretty sure we'd still be hearing Vance telling us about the day at 6pm, damn I miss that man.

When he stepped away from the 11pm in 2015, he also said he planned on fully retiring towards the end of 2017 (you can find this in articles from that time), so I doubt he would’ve still been anchoring the 6pm if he were alive today.

• Like 1

Estrella TV will launch newscasts in three markets on Monday, but the setup's a bit strange.

The newscasts will air at 5pm and 11pm in Miami and 4pm and 10pm in Houston and Dallas. Rubén Olague will serve as news director and anchor, while Carolina Sulbarán and Carolina Pereira both come to Estrella TV from Venezuela (Pereira moved to the States last year). The Miami and Houston shows will be anchored by Sulbarán and Olague, while Pereira joins Olague to host the Dallas show.

Definitely sounds like only one market is gonna have live shows.

42 minutes ago, Ramona said:

Estrella TV will launch newscasts in three markets on Monday, but the setup's a bit strange.

The newscasts will air at 5pm and 11pm in Miami and 4pm and 10pm in Houston and Dallas. Rubén Olague will serve as news director and anchor, while Carolina Sulbarán and Carolina Pereira both come to Estrella TV from Venezuela (Pereira moved to the States last year). The Miami and Houston shows will be anchored by Sulbarán and Olague, while Pereira joins Olague to host the Dallas show.

Definitely sounds like only one market is gonna have live shows.

The dual newscast in Dallas and Houston kinda seems little a like the setup that Telemundo used with some of its O&Os before the Comcast purchase caused the network to reinvest in its news departments. The reason for the differing airtimes for the early newscasts in all three cities is based on how Estrella structures its prime time lineup (which effectively runs from 6:00 to 11:00 p.m. ET/PT, instead of starting it at 7:00). The three O&Os would, respectively, be covering up the entertainment news program En Vivo and reruns of the sketch comedy series LOL with those additions.

1 hour ago, CLETVFan said:

Sharon Reed is leaving WGCL in Atlanta!

FTVLive has the story here.

If they don't give the main anchor job to Tracye Hutchins after years and years of being passed over, then that station is f**ked in the head.

• Like 5

As expected...

https://www.wkrg.com/news/mobile-county/mel-showers-retiring-from-6pm-and-10pm-newscasts/1954122762?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_WKRG&fbclid=IwAR2wuqUtQyQC0WGMxNR3seZvN-4LBvb0oJk75HEJ_eYfbQaPO18i8H4nR2A

He will still be an Anchor Emeritus after May....and Peter Albrecht will add 6 and 10pm to his anchoring duties.

And to think that Peter was one of the ones let go from NBC 15 12 years ago.....

6 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

If they don't give the main anchor job to Tracye Hutchins after years and years of being passed over, then that station is f**ked in the head.

But this is WGCL/CBS46, but house money on Shon Gables will get the job over Tracey. 

More than anything the job will go to Shon Gables.

to me it seems like Tracye Hutchins actually enjoys doing the morning show.

Can't like I got sad a lil bit once Sharon announced shes leaving

I really enjoyed her work shes very passionate.

My guess her next stop is for the big time CNN or NBC Morning Show

I'd be shocked if she stays in Atlanta (WSB or WXIA ect)

• Like 1

It'll be interesting to see who'll replace Reed.  If they went with an inside pick, it'd likely be Shon Gables, Tracye Hutchens, Gurvir Dhindsa, or Karyn Greer being considered.  Not sure of the chances Stephany Fisher would be rehired.  Or CBS 46 could go with an outside pick, it'd likely be someone from a competing station, or from a different TV market.  It'll also be interesting to see whether Reed has landed a job at a TV station in a bigger TV market or one of the networks, if she's staying in the TV news business.

On 4/24/2019 at 12:26 PM, CircleSeven said:

Follow-Up.

From this latest paperwork, it looks like the station will be in the hands of the creditors.

I'm hoping an owner like Marquee Broadcasting would come up and buy this station. 

WPGA looks like HC2 bait to me. How would Marquee make the station profitable without a major network affiliation?

This was the Registers' mistake for dropping ABC over morality issues. TV is business. If you don't like what's being broadcast, sell the station.

• Like 3