Jump to content
×
×
  • Create New...
Message added by Weeters

This thread will soon become "Comings and Goings", a thread targeted at talent and staff arrivals and departures. Please consider starting new threads for anything that does not fit this criteria. 
Click here for more information regarding the sunsetting of "general" threads.

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, Spintech33 said:

 

That is a copy! Appreciate the clarification..

Are the CBS O&O's getting a new graphics package within the next year or two? I believe last update was in 2016.

 

With more stations debuting CBSN operations next year, and many of those flat, blue and black elements already creeping into OTA newscasts, one would think so. Whether or not the main broadcasts adopt the exact same package as the streaming service is yet to be seen, but the color scheme and common elements will definitely bridge any gap.

 

Examples and discussion here: 

 

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I worked with a news anchor who battled an alcohol addiction. It's not just about someone having too much fun and getting carried away, there sometimes are much deeper issues we don't know about. My c

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, 24994J said:

 

With more stations debuting CBSN operations next year, and many of those flat, blue and black elements already creeping into OTA newscasts, one would think so. Whether or not the main broadcasts adopt the exact same package as the streaming service is yet to be seen, but the color scheme and common elements will definitely bridge any gap.

 

Affirmative on that. @24994J 

I will pay attention to this when I watch the main broadcasts in the AM on CBS New York if they are using the same graphics package as CBSN New York.

I would think that CBSN Boston and CBSN LAX are using the same graphics package as CBSN New York.  

 

It appears that CBSN Bay area should be next for December debut and all others within the 3-6 month span of 2020. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MorningNews said:

 

 Since I've moved to DFW, I've noticed that WFAA's breaking news coverage is underwhelming at best. KDFW is this town's news leader without a doubt, and KTVT has very solid coverage as well. Just a little weird at how bad WFAA is compared to how strong I've always heard the station was.

IMO, Marty Haag and Chip Moody would both be rolling over in their graves right now seeing what Tegna has done to WFAA. It's not surprising to see WFAA's Breaking News coverage being as undelwhelmed as it was

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MorningNews said:

 

 Since I've moved to DFW, I've noticed that WFAA's breaking news coverage is underwhelming at best. KDFW is this town's news leader without a doubt, and KTVT has very solid coverage as well. Just a little weird at how bad WFAA is compared to how strong I've always heard the station was.

 

Also I wonder would KXAS would have cut away from the game if it had been anyone other than Dallas playing a division rival? I'd like to hope that that's the only reason they stuck with the game despite it being a negligent decision.

To show how long it took for KXAS to even provide coverage of the tornado, the YT channel Random News Footage composed a six-minute timelapse of the programming on KDFW, KXAS, WFAA and KTVT during the period between the issuance of the tornado warning at 9:00pm until KXAS began their third cut-in of the warning timeframe at 9:24:

 

Also of note, as basically referenced by KTVT meteorologist Jeff Ray in footage of their storm coverage on StormSpotterMike's channel, KTVT took quite a bit of time to provide tornado coverage over its airwaves. As Ray mentions, they continued offering only a Facebook Live stream of the storm coverage for about 8-10 minutes after the warning was issued (with KTVT airing the first act of that night's episode of Madam Secretary for about thirteen minutes after the first reports of the tornado having touched down near Love Field were made), and elected to commence television coverage on KTXA first, before throwing coverage onto KTVT, instead of starting a simulcast of coverage on KTVT and KTXA at the same time.

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

In Canada, you would have seen a red emergency alert screen as soon as it was issued. Canadian networks never do this kind of coverage to begin with, and even if they do, they still have to immediately and officially pass all alerts specifically designated for broadcast. They can't pick and choose, or pass things via the news departments instead.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

To show how long it took for KXAS to even provide coverage of the tornado, the YT channel Random News Footage composed a six-minute timelapse of the programming on KDFW, KXAS, WFAA and KTVT during the period between the issuance of the tornado warning at 9:00pm until KXAS began their third cut-in of the warning timeframe at 9:24:

 

Also of note, as basically referenced by KTVT meteorologist Jeff Ray in footage of their storm coverage on StormSpotterMike's channel, KTVT took quite a bit of time to provide tornado coverage over its airwaves. As Ray mentions, they continued offering only a Facebook Live stream of the storm coverage for about 8-10 minutes after the warning was issued (with KTVT airing the first act of that night's episode of Madam Secretary for about thirteen minutes after the first reports of the tornado having touched down near Love Field were made), and elected to commence television coverage on KTXA first, before throwing coverage onto KTVT, instead of starting a simulcast of coverage on KTVT and KTXA at the same time.

 

At least WFAA was on the ball Sunday night as they were quick to get on the air and stay on it (along with KDFW).  KTVT was late and less active, which was problematic for a situation with a confirmed large tornado on the ground (would be okay if it was radar indicated), but KXAS definitely took a huge reputation hit there.

 

My letter grades of the coverage:

 

KDFW: A

KTVT: C-

KXAS: F

WFAA: A-

Edited by GoldenShine9
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

After looking at the above video, it’s interesting that KTVT isn’t really getting any criticism. A long delay in getting on the air on Channel 11. Facebook and your little-watched sister station don’t count in a situation like this one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Greggo said:

After looking at the above video, it’s interesting that KTVT isn’t really getting any criticism. A long delay in getting on the air on Channel 11. Facebook and your little-watched sister station don’t count in a situation like this one. 

If KXAS & KTVT want to provide any excuses, they can say that they're Fort Worth stations and focus on the western side of the market.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am definitely surprised that KTVT is not receiving as much criticism for the time they took to break into the programming, especially considering the circumstances involved in this situation. At least they stayed on once they finally did break in unlike what is a complete failure in my book by KXAS. In my view severe weather, especially as severe as it was Sunday night, should always override whatever is on the affiliate at the time. I hope lessons are learned from this.

Edited by Morphtato
modify wording at end
Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't realize that KTVT also dropped the ball. Have they also released an explanation as to what happened? My theory is that KXAS opted to stick with a division rivalry game for the hometown team. Not an excuse at all but that at least explains what the hell they were thinking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Morphtato said:

I am definitely surprised that KTVT is not receiving as much criticism for the time they took to break into the programming, especially considering the circumstances involved in this situation. At least they stayed on once they finally did break in unlike what is a complete failure in my book by KXAS. In my view severe weather, especially as severe as it was Sunday night, should always override whatever is on the affiliate at the time. I hope lessons are learned from this.

 

It may be that they weren't as bad in relative comparison, but yeah they should be getting criticism too.

 

For all our anger at Tegna, at least they were on top of things here.

Edited by GoldenShine9
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I look at this situation this way ..

 

Madam Secretary is in its last season and under an aggravating situation where any NFL thing earlier in the day throws off its entire schedule for the night, whether it be a bump of a new episode to next week or to a 9:48pm start. It was airing on time for once at 9pm, and KTVT wanted to see if the tornado developed before going forward because the viewers of that show already get enough aggravation from CBS's scheduling as it is. They went forward when it was clear it was time to jump to live coverage and could argue to viewers 'we tried to air it but it just wasn't going to work out'. They made up for it by staying on late into the night, at least.

 

Meanwhile, KDFW's 9pm news was only delayed by one minute and they rightfully bumped right into weather at 9:01...while The Rookie is a dog on ABC's schedule, and WFAA probably felt 100% confident 'it'll be on Hulu the next day' would work on that show's viewers (Madam doesn't really have that choice due to CBS All Access).

 

KXAS of course was 100% dumb, and even dumber when you see their only acknowledgement was a 'go to our website/Facebook' message...nobody was going to be pissed because their show on Cozi was being pre-empted by football! Redirect people to 5.2/whatever cable positions it's on instead of the clumsy NBC local streaming player.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The question I have is if what the score was for the Cowboys-Eagles game around 9pm. If it was looking like a blowout (which it was), KXAS should've went to weather fully or at least attempted a split-screen on 5.1.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MorningNews said:

I didn't realize that KTVT also dropped the ball. Have they also released an explanation as to what happened? My theory is that KXAS opted to stick with a division rivalry game for the hometown team. Not an excuse at all but that at least explains what the hell they were thinking.

 

Rick Mitchell was the chief at KOCO when I was in OKC and breaking into programming when needed was without question...so the smell here's coming from up on high, I have a feeling.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

The question I have is if what the score was for the Cowboys-Eagles game around 9pm. If it was looking like a blowout (which it was), KXAS should've went to weather fully or at least attempted a split-screen on 5.1.

I'd also be curious to see what the viewership figures around the city were. Many people I know here simply turned away from KXAS to any other station in town providing information. I'm sure NFL still dominated but it seems like most people were more interested in finding news about the storm than the football game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

I'd also be curious to see what the viewership figures around the city were. Many people I know here simply turned away from KXAS to any other station in town providing information. I'm sure NFL still dominated but it seems like most people were more interested in finding news about the storm than the football game.

It was 27-7 Cowboys by the time the tornado warnng came out, so I'd imagine a lot of people might've been turning away already. So a pox to KXAS for keeping with the game. Again, if KXAS went split-screen or moved it to 5.2, it would've been better what happened.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MorningNews said:

I'd also be curious to see what the viewership figures around the city were. Many people I know here simply turned away from KXAS to any other station in town providing information. I'm sure NFL still dominated but it seems like most people were more interested in finding news about the storm than the football game.

KXAS had almost 1.5 million viewers for the game. By comparison, at 9, around when the storm hit, KDFW had just over 200,000 viewers.  

 

https://unclebarky.com/dfw_files/fe4c87f456f6f63c884d5cacf479db32-4482.html

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Former WFAA health reporter Janet St. James was interviewed on the Facebook video podcast "Morning After with Ron & Alexa" recently (Ron and Alexa are Ron Corning and Alexa Conomos, themselves former WFAA anchors).  St. James now has metastatic breast cancer, diagnosed after taking a back-office position with a local Dallas hospital.  She had worked at WFAA for 19 years.  St. James is remarkably open and positive, despite her prognosis.

 

Of course, my very best to Janet and her family.

 

https://www.facebook.com/100000005091243/posts/2909584935718314/

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here in Columbus, WCMH anchor Colleen Marshall gave an update on her coanchor Mike Jackson who has been recovering from a stroke suffered 10 months ago. Sadly, he has a long path ahead of him to full recovery. 

 

Best to Mike Jackson and his family. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.