Jump to content
×
×
  • Create New...
Message added by Weeters

This thread will soon become "Comings and Goings", a thread targeted at talent and staff arrivals and departures. Please consider starting new threads for anything that does not fit this criteria. 
Click here for more information regarding the sunsetting of "general" threads.

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I worked with a news anchor who battled an alcohol addiction. It's not just about someone having too much fun and getting carried away, there sometimes are much deeper issues we don't know about. My c

"...To Another Channel!"

Posted Images

Alan Denton has signed off from KUSI after 10 years.

 

He say's he's going to Florida...and getting out of TV.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Eat News
Music Bank-(DALLA DALLA) - ITZY https://youtu.be/82cqau04BvE
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

WSMV has a new news director...Mitch Jacob, who worked at WJLA and WSYX.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/2/26/news-director-change-in-nashville

 

While his time in DC has been debateable (overshadowed by the fact of WJLA being taken over by Sinclair), WSYX was a solid #2 under his watch and has always been one of the most successful and profitable Sinclair stations.

 

This and the new GM hopefully can move WSMV forward from the bad press it has garnered over the past year or so due to....well...we all know...cough cough....dk....cough cough....among other changes, layoffs and lawsuits... 

 

And could they bury the hatchet and decide to bring her back perhaps?

He made WSYX more aggressive in their news coverage, there were some spikes in #2 at WSYX but it wasn't across the board in all newscast.  Jamie Justice the current ND she couldn't keep the momentum going... I think he couldn't do what he did at WSYX for WJLA.  A different market and Sinclair was ready to cut that budget at WJLA and he resigned during Sweeps.  So he has his work cut out at WSMV. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Breaking News said:

He made WSYX more aggressive in their news coverage, there were some spikes in #2 at WSYX but it wasn't across the board in all newscast.  Jamie Justice the current ND she couldn't keep the momentum going... I think he couldn't do what he did at WSYX for WJLA.  A different market and Sinclair was ready to cut that budget at WJLA and he resigned during Sweeps.  So he has his work cut out at WSMV. 

 

Some of the momentum for WSYX was also lost once WBNS poached their talent (Yolanda Harris and Pete Scalia) and sterilized them.  (You won't see this kind of "personality" when Yolanda is paired with Jerry Revish.)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2019 at 1:27 PM, CRThell said:

WMYT began delaying its programming to 11pm to 1am in September in favor of Modern Family, Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men reruns. Can’t really blame them even if it is Fox O&O market.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

 

Some of the momentum for WSYX was also lost once WBNS poached their talent (Yolanda Harris and Pete Scalia) and sterilized them.  (You won't see this kind of "personality" when Yolanda is paired with Jerry Revish.)

Hmm. Yolanda Harris, I would say, but Pete I can't co-sign, However,  Yolanda plays second fiddle at BNS where she was the mainstay at WSYX.  I was told many told her (Yolanda) not to go over to BNS. It might be #1

but inside it, a mess and many are still wondering how long the Wolfe family going to keep the station in their hands.  Yolanda was a band-aid to keep the machine pumping, but nothing last forever.  Remember SYX was fighting with

CMH for #2.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Breaking News said:

Hmm. Yolanda Harris, I would say, but Pete I can't co-sign, However,  Yolanda plays second fiddle at BNS where she was the mainstay at WSYX.  I was told many told her (Yolanda) not to go over to BNS. It might be #1

but inside it, a mess and many are still wondering how long the Wolfe family going to keep the station in their hands.  Yolanda was a band-aid to keep the machine pumping, but nothing last forever.  Remember SYX was fighting with

CMH for #2.

 

If I recall correctly, BNS was trying to get Yolanda as early as 2012, to replace Andrea Cambern.  Perhaps if she would’ve joined them then, the energy could’ve remained. (Kristyn Hartman simply wasn’t a Cambern clone, and it didn’t work out - but I do feel badly for how she left...given the 10 still dominated with her at the helm.)

 

BNS is a tough station to watch...because truth be told, any energy and personality that station had left with Andrea Cambern.

 

(But I digress...Mitch Jacob will have his work cut out fo him at WSMV.  I remember his work at WTOL after his stint in Phoenix.)

Edited by ttvn2000
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, d247 said:

KTUL veteran Charles Ely is retiring tonight after 46 years in television, over a quarter-century of that time at channel 8 (starting in Columbus at WBNS, then in Atlanta, and later Dallas at KXAS) 

Officially retired during the 6pm newscast in which Channel 8 renamed the Newscenter (newsroom) after him.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Media General tanking WCMH certainly helped WSYX's cause. 

But under Mitch Jacob, WSYX was Sinclair's golden boy getting all of the tools and expanded resources.  

Then along came the Allbritton buy and WJLA as Sinclair grew and grew and he was bumped up the food chain...

 

Once the dust settles, WSMV will hopefully find it's groove again.  What some of these managers don't realize is a "back to basics" approach can work wonders.  Look at WVTM.  

And the same can be said with WAPT beating out WJTV in Jackson.

 


 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

 

If I recall correctly, BNS was trying to get Yolanda as early as 2012, to replace Andrea Cambern.  Perhaps if she would’ve joined them then, the energy could’ve remained. (Kristyn Hartman simply wasn’t a Cambern clone, and it didn’t work out - but I do feel badly for how she left...given the 10 still dominated with her at the helm.)

 

BNS is a tough station to watch...because truth be told, any energy and personality that station had left with Andrea Cambern.

 

(But I digress...Mitch Jacob will have his work cut out fo him at WSMV.  I remember his work at WTOL after his stint in Phoenix.)

Yes, there was an article in some publication where BNS management wanted Yolanda, but she was under contract with WSYX at the time.   Kristyn was a horrible choice as Andrea's replacement. In some cases it always hard to find the right candidate when replacing someone who been there a long time.  BNS whole contemporary branding/image is not them.  It's the station with the old guard, but what they're not good at is the young demo where WSYX does well in.  I read Mitch wasn't well liked in Phoenix, but did a good job at WTOL, but I guess that because of WTOL's #1 status during his time there.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This after-newscast/party was posted online, it includes brief chats with John McCaa, his wife, his father, as well as past WFAA veterans Tracy Rowlett, Troy Dungan, Gloria Campos, and Byron Harris.  Also interviewed were GM Carolyn Mungo, current anchors Cynthia Izaguirre and Dale Hansen (who cleared up a misunderstanding).  Cake and wine were served, and McCaa sliced the cake.  All who spoke were heartfelt about having worked with and known McCaa.

I didn't realize it would be tonight for John McCaa's last newscast.  Best wishes and happy trails, John.  Cheers!

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Breaking News said:

Yes, there was an article in some publication where BNS management wanted Yolanda, but she was under contract with WSYX at the time.   Kristyn was a horrible choice as Andrea's replacement. In some cases it always hard to find the right candidate when replacing someone who been there a long time.  BNS whole contemporary branding/image is not them.  It's the station with the old guard, but what they're not good at is the young demo where WSYX does well in.  I read Mitch wasn't well liked in Phoenix, but did a good job at WTOL, but I guess that because of WTOL's #1 status during his time there.

 

Just out of curiosity, how does WTHR do with the young demo in its market?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mre29 said:

 

Just out of curiosity, how does WTHR do with the young demo in its market?

 

Not well especially in the morning. FOX has beat them and RTV is gaining ground. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2019 at 4:56 PM, Breaking News said:

Yes, there was an article in some publication where BNS management wanted Yolanda, but she was under contract with WSYX at the time.   Kristyn was a horrible choice as Andrea's replacement. In some cases it always hard to find the right candidate when replacing someone who been there a long time.  BNS whole contemporary branding/image is not them.  It's the station with the old guard, but what they're not good at is the young demo where WSYX does well in.  I read Mitch wasn't well liked in Phoenix, but did a good job at WTOL, but I guess that because of WTOL's #1 status during his time there.

 

Wasn't Yolanda supposed to have been paired with Jeff Hogan once Jerry Ravish retired if that was to happen?  I think Jeff got impatient and bolted for WRAL.

 

Speaking of WSYX, weren't they #2 when WCMH had Duane Pohlman co-anchoring the 5pm news?  Just curious, because he was there when Cabot Rea retired from the station around the same time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.