Jump to content
×
×
  • Create New...
Message added by Weeters

This thread will soon become "Comings and Goings", a thread targeted at talent and staff arrivals and departures. Please consider starting new threads for anything that does not fit this criteria. 
Click here for more information regarding the sunsetting of "general" threads.

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

 

If not, THE most-watched FOX affiliate in the country. I think WSVN regularly pulls in 300,000+ viewers for their news at 10pm (I saw that number years ago but not sure of 2019 numbers tho).

 

KTVU may want to have a word re: the ratings, but that aside, SVN definitely ranks up there and absolutely is the model almost everything we know about FOX today is based off of - from FOX News Channel, to sports, to a lot of the older O&Os even. You could even say that about HDH to an extent--and they're still pulling in great numbers in Boston without a network affiliation.

 

I suspect the Ansin family will sell when Ed dies and it will be to FOX - both in Miami and Boston. Would be really interesting to see if they're handled with kid gloves as an O&O.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I worked with a news anchor who battled an alcohol addiction. It's not just about someone having too much fun and getting carried away, there sometimes are much deeper issues we don't know about. My c

"...To Another Channel!"

Posted Images

22 hours ago, JCB4TV said:

I believe WSVN has been more successful as a FOX station then it was with NBC way back when. Furthermore, I've always wondered whether FOX will attempt to purchase Sunbeam Television when Mr. Ansin passes on.

 

OMG are you kidding me? They certaintely will!

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

I suspect the Ansin family will sell when Ed dies and it will be to FOX - both in Miami and Boston. Would be really interesting to see if they're handled with kid gloves as an O&O.

I sincerely Doubt Sunbeam will sell their stations after Ansin. I’m sure that the estate will own them. Sunbeam Will Live On.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

WSYX meteorologist Rachael Penton is leaving the station, as she announced tonight. She said she and her husband are "going back home" to central Louisiana. She's been with WSYX since 2017.

 

She was a standout. Good luck to her.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 8Viewer said:

WSYX meteorologist Rachael Penton is leaving the station, as she announced tonight. She said she and her husband are "going back home" to central Louisiana. She's been with WSYX since 2017.

 

She was a standout. Good luck to her.

 

Meh. She didn't have a good presence on air. Fort Wayne material.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cunningham Broadcasting-owned Portland, ME FOX affiliate WPFO expands "Good Day Maine" to the 8AM hour starting today, extending the morning franchise to 4-1/2 hours a day overall (4:30A-9:00A), the first 2-1/2 hours being on Sinclair-owned CBS affiliate WGME, which produces GDM. Of course Cunningham is a Sinclair shell company to get around duopoly rules.

Edited by newsbot
Link to post
Share on other sites

Chalk up another loss at WPMI.....

Bobby Totsch, the GM is leaving for the same job at WHO-TV in Des Moines....

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/239532/robert-bobby-totsch-named-who-gm/

 

This comes after the departures of Chief Meteorologist Chris Dunn, and Jake Dunne, who is now at KWCH.  And the prolonged blackout on AT&T since the end of May.....

 

I hope WHO knows what they are in for....

Edited by tyrannical bastard
Link to post
Share on other sites

Small follow-up regarding the merger between Gatehouse Media & Gannett.

 

The DOJ has cleared the deal. It still needs the greenlight from the European Commission since Gannett also owns several papers in the UK.

 

It also needs approval from the shareholders of both companies. But it's pretty much a done deal, as it expects to close by the end of the year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

Small follow-up regarding the merger between Gatehouse Media & Gannett.

 

The DOJ has cleared the deal. It still needs the greenlight from the European Commission since Gannett also owns several papers in the UK.

 

It also needs approval from the shareholders of both companies. But it's pretty much a done deal, as it expects to close by the end of the year.

 

I was in the next county yesterday. On the convenience store news rack was the local Gannett paper for Licking County, which was just a few pages. on the second shelf was The Columbus Dispatch, a Gatehouse property.

 

I wondered to myself if it would make sense to have the Newark Advocate as a wraparound or whatever they call it for The Columbus Dispatch. Let The Advocate do its thing, however little it is these days, include The Dispatch along with it just so the paper doesn't look so pathetic and there is something to sell to subscribers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2019 at 11:19 PM, DirtyHarry said:

 

I was in the next county yesterday. On the convenience store news rack was the local Gannett paper for Licking County, which was just a few pages. on the second shelf was The Columbus Dispatch, a Gatehouse property.

 

I wondered to myself if it would make sense to have the Newark Advocate as a wraparound or whatever they call it for The Columbus Dispatch. Let The Advocate do its thing, however little it is these days, include The Dispatch along with it just so the paper doesn't look so pathetic and there is something to sell to subscribers.

Gannett/Gatehouse should really make an effort to acquire the Plain Dealer from Advance.   Its a pathetic shell of it's former self like the other Advance properties.

 

They did sell the Times-Picayune to the owners of the Advocate, the paper that spawned as a local edition of the Baton Rouge daily paper when Advance took away daily editions.  However, much of the TP's staff was laid off in the merger and the same could be said given Gatehouse's sizeable holdings in Ohio.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, MikePulse said:

Meanwhile in Orlando, after 40 years, it's Martie Salt's time to go gently.

 

 

Everytime I go to Central Florida on vacation, my team was always Bob and Martie. Always them, nobody else (even though you can put Jim and Wendy in that convo.)

 

I'm so happy for her but Central Florida will soon lose a gripping, yet important voice in local news in the market. First Bob, now Martie. If I wish for anything, I just hope Bob can come back at least for one more day to join Martie on her final day. That's all I ask. That would be AMAZING to see Bob and Martie together, one final time before the year's up.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

 

Everytime I go to Central Florida on vacation, my team was always Bob and Martie. Always them, nobody else (even though you can put Jim and Wendy in that convo.)

 

I'm so happy for her but Central Florida will soon lose a gripping, yet important voice in local news in the market. First Bob, now Martie. If I wish for anything, I just hope Bob can come back at least for one more day to join Martie on her final day. That's all I ask. That would be AMAZING to see Bob and Martie together, one final time before the year's up.

Well, Bob did it before, when he joined Martie for the noon on his last day. Who's to say he won't give an encore performance?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Gannett/Gatehouse should really make an effort to acquire the Plain Dealer from Advance.   Its a pathetic shell of it's former self like the other Advance properties.

 

They did sell the Times-Picayune to the owners of the Advocate, the paper that spawned as a local edition of the Baton Rouge daily paper when Advance took away daily editions.  However, much of the TP's staff was laid off in the merger and the same could be said given Gatehouse's sizeable holdings in Ohio.

 

Be careful what you wish for.  This merger is not good news for journalism or its readers.  GateHouse basically kills newspapers, eliminating most staff, cut content and include much less locally generated stories.  They bought the paper where I grew up, and it is a shadow of itself.  Their website also has a draconian fire wall, 3 here articles a month.  That's all.  Gannett bought my local paper 2 years ago (the Bergen/North Jersey Record) they, got rid of a good portion of the staff, cut content but is still better than a GateHouse run paper.  Sadly, when GateHouse managers take over, which they will considering New Media/GateHouse is buying Gannett but using the name for the combined operation,  even worse cuts are going to be made that will beg the question:  why bother subscribing anymore.  Operators like GateHouse have made a vicious cycle.  If they invested, beefed up local reporting, then they too can have a renaissance like the Post or Times.  The DOJ approving this merger is the death of many more local papers.  I'd rather have a Newhouse/Advance paper despite the cuts made at the Star Ledger.  It's still much better than the Record under Gannett's stewardship.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NowBergen said:

This merger is not good news for journalism or its readers.  GateHouse basically kills newspapers, eliminating most staff, cut content and include much less locally generated stories.  They bought the paper where I grew up, and it is a shadow of itself.  

 

Not fair. If you can't sell ads, you can't keep the place running. They can't sell classifieds because of Craig's List, department and appliance stores no longer can advertise in papers, car dealers use mostly digital platforms these days. Most of their profitable clients are gone. Without advertising money, you can't have as much staff. What they are trying to do makes sense in the current environment.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

 

Not fair. If you can't sell ads, you can't keep the place running. They can't sell classifieds because of Craig's List, department and appliance stores no longer can advertise in papers, car dealers use mostly digital platforms these days. Most of their profitable clients are gone. Without advertising money, you can't have as much staff. What they are trying to do makes sense in the current environment.

 

As I said it is a vicious circle they have created.  Cut reporters and columnists, many long time favorites, cut content, lose subscribers, then lose advertising. It's not a good model.  Once GateHouse takes over, I'll probably drop my subscription too.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2019 at 8:48 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

Gannett/Gatehouse should really make an effort to acquire the Plain Dealer from Advance.   Its a pathetic shell of it's former self like the other Advance properties.

 

They did sell the Times-Picayune to the owners of the Advocate, the paper that spawned as a local edition of the Baton Rouge daily paper when Advance took away daily editions.  However, much of the TP's staff was laid off in the merger and the same could be said given Gatehouse's sizeable holdings in Ohio.

When did Advance/Newhouse started to decline?

 

17 hours ago, NowBergen said:

 

As I said it is a vicious circle they have created.  Cut reporters and columnists, many long time favorites, cut content, lose subscribers, then lose advertising. It's not a good model.  Once GateHouse takes over, I'll probably drop my subscription too.

With all those newspapers they're buying up, GateHouse (soon to be the new and improved (not) Gannett) seems to be becoming the Sinclair of the newspaper industry.

 

Well, I guess the Gannett name will become damaged goods because it is going to be associated with some evil driving force buying newspapers large and small and ruining them, not what it was in the past when the company that was called Gannett was a company that owned TV stations (and ran them well) as well as newspapers.

 

Soon, you will have this horrible, evil Gannett that is the worst of all newspaper owners, and the mediocre-at-best and buying-any-station-they-can-have-their-hands-on TEGNA that we already have now.

 

Who will want to read USA Today 5 or 10 years from now, between all this and the fact that the newspaper industry is already dying? Will USA Today even exist in 10 years? Looks like GateHouse is a total joke. It will soon be called Gannett but that won't change it. This company is so bad that Advance/Newhouse would look like Belo in comparison.

Edited by Conrad
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.