Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
TexasTVNews

Out & About

Recommended Posts

Unbelievably, NBC still owned an analog television station in 2018.

When they acquired ZGS, they also acquired the analog LPTV it had in El Paso, KTDO-LP. The functional purpose of this station ostensibly was to provide Ciudad Juárez analog viewers with coverage, yet it remained on air until recently.

On November 30, NBC told the FCC to cancel the license for the LPTV. (Repack probably also was determinative in ending this facility.)

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I missed the post but I’m surprised @ColDayNews news didn’t mention it here or on discord. WCMH was evacuated Friday morning after someone called the assignment desk saying there were pipe bombs throughout the building. Nothing was found but they were evacuated and master control was fed from WDTN. Management ordered that there be no coverage in order to prevent copy cats 

 

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/12/23/bomb-threat-at-columbus-station

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, rkolsen said:

Maybe I missed the post but I’m surprised @ColDayNews news didn’t mention it here or on discord. WCMH was evacuated Friday morning after someone called the assignment desk saying there were pipe bombs throughout the building. Nothing was found but they were evacuated and master control was fed from WDTN. Management ordered that there be no coverage in order to prevent copy cats 

 

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/12/23/bomb-threat-at-columbus-station

I’d always been curious as to NBC 4’s contingencies during a disaster. Some time ago, they could use the tech center abandoned in the late 90s when NBC started to hub their stations from 30 Rock, WTVJ, Burbank, and KXAS. 

Master for Media General’s NBC stations was located at NBC4 until the sale to Nexstar. I’m not sure if the hub is still open, after the sale to Nexstar... but it was constructed in 2006 while the station was still run out of the NBC hub. 

Who were the targets, and was the suspect nabbed?

Station management made the right call not to break into programming or report on what has happened. This would also give the suspect the visibility he sought. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Former KARE meteorologist Jeff Edmondson returning to WAVY 

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffEdmondsonWX/status/1075835520687726595

This comes as the revolving door that is WAVY's weekend meteorologist position swings again, with Ashley Baylor preparing to leave after 4 years for Connecticut. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ash_Baylor/status/1076121028621934594

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

WJW has posted a site for viewers who have Spectrum cable that they might lose the station on New Year's Day.

Some smart kid in Cleveland is gonna pick up some cheap antennas...and make a killing cutting peoples cords.

Sure beats mowing lawns.

Edited by Eat News
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

WJW has posted a site for viewers who have Spectrum cable that they might lose the station on New Year's Day.

Usually Spectrum losing Tribune/WITI in Milwaukee would have had the state of Wisconsin threatening to take control of Spectrum to force Packers playoff games on WITI to air. This year, there is not that leverage.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Fox still represented the ex-O&Os during carriage disputes, as part of their affiliation contracts negotiated during the sale from FTS to Local TV?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, newsbot said:

To absolutely no one's surprise, WCVB is going to bump Inside Edition to 1:05 AM (after Nightline) in the New Year to make way for a 4:30PM weekday newscast
https://www.wcvb.com/article/wcvb-channel-5-announces-newscast-changes-in-the-new-year/25684775

Second time too. The first time was launched early in 2016 but swapped timeslots with Inside Edition later that year because of "poor ratings" at the time.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, newsbot said:

To absolutely no one's surprise, WCVB is going to bump Inside Edition to 1:05 AM (after Nightline) in the New Year to make way for a 4:30PM weekday newscast
https://www.wcvb.com/article/wcvb-channel-5-announces-newscast-changes-in-the-new-year/25684775

I would not be shocked to see Inside Edition switch stations at this point, probably to WHDH as they could slot that at 7:30 while airing Extra solely at 11:30.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

WJW has posted a site for viewers who have Spectrum cable that they might lose the station on New Year's Day.

And I have Spectrum only because I can't get some OTA (particularly WJW) in good. So, this whomps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A while back I posted a thread (that seems to have disappeared) about my father being interviewed by Discovery Channel Canada for the show Disasters at Sea. He was interviewed about his role as a USCG (he’s a civilian) investigator on the [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FV_Alaska_Ranger]sinking of the factory fishing ship the FV Alaska Ranger[/url] where 47 people on the ship were rescued and sadly five died. The show airs on the Smithsonian Channel in the US on February 17, 2019 at 9 p.m. ET/PT

 

Quote

 

SHIPWRECKED IN ALASKA

Premieres Sunday, February 17 at 9 p.m. ET/PT

Deadly flooding sinks the Alaska Ranger in March 2008, forcing the crew to abandon ship into the frigid waters off the coast of Alaska. Their retrieval marks the largest cold water rescue in the history of the U.S. Coast Guard. Without the ship's remains to look into, investigators have little to go on until a visit to the sister ship of The Ranger reveals a shocking secret that's putting other lives at risk.

Edit: I found the original post.

Edited by rkolsen
Formatting errors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Long overdue.

This likely means that only the 6PM newscast will survive as being available on demand on the WCVB website due to Hearst's bizarre policies (their on-demand newscast availability maxes out at 90 minutes.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EssDee_media said:

KTLA anchor Chris Burrous found dead in a Glendale motel. Rip

An apparent overdose, subject to confirmation by the coroner's office. In addition to his colleagues at KTLA, he leaves behind a wife and daughter.
https://ktla.com/2018/12/27/ktla-anchor-chris-burrous-death-investigated-as-possible-overdose-glendale-police/

Edited by newsbot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, newsbot said:

This likely means that only the 6PM newscast will survive as being available on demand on the WCVB website due to Hearst's bizarre policies (their on-demand newscast availability maxes out at 90 minutes.)

Why would Hearst make it such that only the evening edition of NewsCenter5 would be available to stream?

Edited by bmasters1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bmasters1 said:

Why would Hearst make it such that only the evening edition of NewsCenter5 would be available to stream?

As clarification, of the 4P-630P block, only the 6PM portion would be available on-demand on their own website if they follow their usual protocol. Currently, the 4P and the 5P-630P newscasts are available on-demand during the window between newscasts up until about ten minutes before the next one. That doesn't apply to NewsON, where all of their newscasts for the current and previous day (but not Chronicle) are available. Curiously, their 7PM newscast isn't available on demand on the WCVB site, but Chronicle is.

Edited by newsbot
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, newsbot said:

As clarification, of the 4P-630P block, only the 6PM portion would be available on-demand on their own website if they follow their usual protocol. Currently, the 4P and the 5P-630P newscasts are available on-demand. That doesn't apply to NewsON, where all of their newscasts for the current and previous day (but not Chronicle) are available.

Never thought of it that way-- did not know, either, until you clarified.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bobbie Wygant, the KXAS fixture that has out-tenured all other on-camera reporters/anchors/hosts in DFW, has come out with a new book called "Talking to the Stars".  She has interviewed countless actors and celebrities (many if not most are surely in the book), as well as working in other roles while at Channel 5.  Several years ago, a website was launched to digitally archive many of her recent and past interviews.  The ones I've seen aren't always edited, so there's less of a TV-polished look to some of the videos.  Amazing that Bobbie Wygant is 92, and is still at it.  The forward to the book was written by longtime CBS newsman (and veteran of WBAP/KXAS) Bob Schieffer.

http://www.bobbiewygant.com/
https://www.dallasnews.com/life/life/2018/12/28/92-nbc5-celebrity-reporter-bobbie-wygant-still-reaches-stars
https://www.star-telegram.com/entertainment/tv/article222611905.html
https://www.nbcdfw.com/entertainment/the-scene/Bobbie-Wygants-Memoir-Covers-70-Years-in-Television-501823832.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, east-tx-tv said:

Bobbie Wygant, the KXAS fixture that has out-tenured all other on-camera reporters/anchors/hosts in DFW, has come out with a new book called "Talking to the Stars".  She has interviewed countless actors and celebrities (many if not most are surely in the book), as well as working in other roles while at Channel 5.  Several years ago, a website was launched to digitally archive many of her recent and past interviews.  The ones I've seen aren't always edited, so there's less of a TV-polished look to some of the videos.  Amazing that Bobbie Wygant is 92, and is still at it.  The forward to the book was written by longtime CBS newsman (and veteran of WBAP/KXAS) Bob Schieffer.

http://www.bobbiewygant.com/
https://www.dallasnews.com/life/life/2018/12/28/92-nbc5-celebrity-reporter-bobbie-wygant-still-reaches-stars
https://www.star-telegram.com/entertainment/tv/article222611905.html
https://www.nbcdfw.com/entertainment/the-scene/Bobbie-Wygants-Memoir-Covers-70-Years-in-Television-501823832.html

God bless her! She's like Betty White... both in their 90s, both legends and both are still going!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.