Out & About

TexasTVNews

WUSA will be anchoring their 5pm news from a set made from ice. This picture features WUSA's Jan Jeffcoat and Lesli Foster.

1622070_10152580985754778_1804119723_n.jpg

Wonder if that's a Gannettt thing... WKYC in Cleveland had an ice desk and the weathercaster did a rap (which was skewered by Jimmy Kimmel...).

J

Journal Broadcast Group is reorganizing. "Steve Wexler, formerly executive vice president of radio and television [in Milwaukee] and general manager of WTMJ-TV (Channel 4), will become executive vice president of the radio division... Debbie Turner, executive vice president and general manager of WTFV-TV in Nashville, will become executive vice president of television."

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/entertainment/241552611.html

The Memphis Commercial Appeal is confirming what NewsBlues reported yesterday, that WMC VP/GM Lee Meredith is leaving the station and being reassigned to sister station WAFB in Baton Rouge, replacing the outgoing Sandy Breland who is heading to WVUE. Meredith's successor at WMC has not yet been named.

It will be interesting to see who replaces Meredith, as his tenure at WMC has been during a period of near continuous ratings declines along with a worsening of WMC's news product through reliance on increased sensationalism.

Links not provided since both would be behind paywalls.

Per Mediaverse (via Facebook), Tracy Rogers has been named the new VP/GM at WMC-TV. Rogers once served as the station's news director before taking over as VP/GM at KAIT in Jonesboro.

Per Mediaverse (via Facebook), Tracy Rogers has been named the new VP/GM at WMC-TV. Rogers once served as the station's news director before taking over as VP/GM at KAIT in Jonesboro.

Very interesting. I thought her period as ND at WMC was pretty good actually, coming off the PP era. Will be looking forward to see how this turns out.

In hindsight I totally should have seen this move coming.

So, the Express News finally got around to reporting what I posted here Saturday night, that John Honoré is no longer on the air with KSAT. Regular TV news viewers complained to Jeanne Jakle, the TV columnist, in hopes of getting an answer. Here's what she found out (full article):

Though I put on my Sherlock Holmes hat in hopes of clearing up the mystery, the answers I’ve received — as is often the case with TV personalities — haven’t been crystal clear.

When I contacted Honoré via Facebook, he replied: “I am not authorized to discuss personnel matters, and I must refer any such inquiries to KSAT management.”

KSAT’s explanation of Honoré’s disappearance? “He is still employed by KSAT12, he’s just not currently on-air,” station spokesman David Cuccio replied.

Although Honoré’s photo and bio have disappeared from KSAT’s website, the meteorologist continues to tweet S.A. weather updates on his Twitter page.

Meanwhile, Cuccio was more than happy to tout newly hired Katie Vossler, who’s been handling Honoré’s weekend forecasts. ”Katie will be doing some weekends,” Cuccio wrote, “some fill-in when others are out, and she’ll be doing more ‘feature’ stories and covering some live events as well.”

[...]

So, there you have it, ladies and gents. Although local TV stations want you to invest in their on-air personalities, they tend to be less keen on letting you know what’s happened to them when they’re missing. Sigh.

Let's translate what Honoré said: "My contract was not renewed, but I can't tell you that, because if I did, KSAT will fire me. They were eager to bring in that new girl, so they have me doing behind the scenes work until my contract is up then I'm out of a job." Of course I don't know if that's actually what he said but I'm thinking that's what happened. I have no clue what he would be doing off-air since KSAT really has no need for him. Maybe they are being very nice and honoring the rest of his contract so that way he has some income while he looks for another job.

KSAT used to far and away be the station you'd want to work for if you desired a stable career in this market. Then 20 year GM Jim Joslyn retired, followed by 30 year ND Jim Boyle. They bumped up the deuce to ND a few weeks back, and I guess she's starting to make changes now. Maybe she felt there needed to be a female weather person here? I don't know...

And to justify Jakle's last sentence. I guess she doesn't follow the local news biz outside of SA. If she were to log on to FTV Live she would see this practice of not telling the viewers what happened to their employees is pretty commonplace. Even though the station's go out and report everybody else's business.

BTW, his bio is still accessible here.

And I could've sworn I just saw Kelly Slifka in one of their promos. Wonder if they have plans to hire him on full time?

Major comings and goings are happening right now courtesy of TVSpy.

Mike Francis the Chief Meteorologist of Atlanta's WXIA is out, and Meteorologist Chris Holcomb will be taking over the weeknight weather duties. They're now doing a nationwide search to find a new meteorologist.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/mike-francis-out-at-atlanta-nbc-affiliate_b114049

Amelia Earhart is leaving Denver's KUSA-TV. Earhart will leave the NBC affiliate when her contract is up in April. Earhart, whose no relation the famous missing aviator has scheduled

an around-the-world flight in June in honor of her namesake.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/amelia-earhart-flying-away-from-kusa_b114030

And Mark McEwen is returning to Orlando's WKMG. McEwen who came to WKMG in 2004 after 16 years at CBS will contribute two reports a week.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/mark-mcewen-returning-to-wkmg_b113974

Orlando's WFTV has paired Jorge Estevez and Nancy Alvarez for its evening newscasts on sister station WRDQ 27. Estevez and Alvarez will anchor is 10pm news

Sunday through Thursday and the 6 & 11pm news on Sunday. Alvarez and Estevez are now the first Hispanic team to anchor an English language newscast in Orlando.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/wftv-pairs-jorge-estevez-nancy-alvarez_b113935

And Kirk Mason is now the new morning anchor for Grand Rapid's WWMT. Mason joins the West Michigan's CBS affiliate from South Bend's WSBT.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/kirk-mason-debuts-on-wwmt-in-grand-rapids_b113893

Loriana Hernandez former anchor at Fox owned station KBTC in Austin has been diagnosed with an aggressive from of leukemia while having blood work done as part of the process to have a second child via in-vitro :

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/former-ktbc-anchor-diagnosed-with-leukemia_b114085

Here's wishing her and her family the best and may she win this fight against this awful disease.

KTVB, another Gannett station, also had one of these a few days back:

Now this idea was pretty cool when WKYC did it but now it's starting to get old...

I think th first one that did was (believe it or not) WXIA. They had one on January 8. So that makes it SIX (with WKYC, WUSA, WVEC, WCNC & KTVB). I wouldn't be shocked if the desk made an encore with all that severe weather they're having now.

I'd like to see WTSP try an ice desk...being the Gannett station in the warmest climate. Now I don't see that going along well.

I'd like to see them make a set out of sand on the beach. I have seen enough ice sets. This winter has been brutal.

Chuck Gaidica announce today that he'll step down after 27 years as Chief Meteorologist at Detroit's WDIV-TV. Former WJBK Meteorologist Ben Bailey will take the helm as

Chief Meteorologist, the changes will began taking place in August of this year.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/chuck-gaidica-to-step-down-as-chief-weathercaster-at-wdiv/-/1719524/24196910/-/spx0lg/-/index.html